Top Gear (1 Viewer)

James Smith

Top Gear India Special on Dave now.

CCFCKirky

Yep, but Clarkson appears to be a serial offender and he did know very well he was on a formal, final warning.

Completly agree, if bbc reinstate him then what message does it send out? That the more you act like a prick the more likely you won't get punished. I say get rid of him!

ajsccfc

The thing I don't get is that a lot of the people raging against his suspension seem to be doing it in the name of rallying against political correctness, but he's suspended because he apparently admitted to punching a colleague. Of all the things he's been accused of, it seems a fairly open and shut case.

lewys33

The thing I don't get is that a lot of the people raging against his suspension seem to be doing it in the name of rallying against political correctness, but he's suspended because he apparently admitted to punching a colleague. Of all the things he's been accused of, it seems a fairly open and shut case.

I think it's safe to say both sides are going a bit far with this. A BBC exec compared him to Saville FFS!

Like I said before, it doesn't matter if he did punch the guy or not, his supporters will back him, and the people that detest him will call for his head.

ajsccfc

A Saville comparison is mental. At his very worst, I see Clarkson as a pantomime villain and otherwise he's a kind of old fashioned anti-hero.

Richard Hammond though, he can fuck right off.

Otis

I think it's safe to say both sides are going a bit far with this. A BBC exec compared him to Saville FFS!

Like I said before, it doesn't matter if he did punch the guy or not, his supporters will back him, and the people that detest him will call for his head.

Which isn't the way it should be. If he has done wrong, people should call for his head whether they are supporters of him or not.

This like I say then becomes like the Marlon King thing. If King had just been a very average footballer then everyone probably would have been against him signing for us. But because he was a top goalscorer, then suddenly it becomes okay.

If someone has done wrong, they have done wrong and if Clarkson has punched a producer in the face then he should be sacked whether people are fans of his or not. Should have nothing to do with how popular he is.

lewys33

Which isn't the way it should be. If he has done wrong, people should call for his head whether they are supporters of him or not.

This like I say then becomes like the Marlon King thing. If King had just been a very average footballer then everyone probably would have been against him signing for us. But because he was a top goalscorer, then suddenly it becomes okay.

If someone has done wrong, they have done wrong and if Clarkson has punched a producer in the face then he should be sacked whether people are fans of his or not. Should have nothing to do with how popular he is.

Agreed. But the majority won't agree. Let's see what the investigation brings.

Interesting that Clarkson dobbed himself in. Was this producer too scared? I know he has had death threats which is unreal.

Otis

Agreed. But the majority won't agree. Let's see what the investigation brings.

Interesting that Clarkson dobbed himself in. Was this producer too scared? I know he has had death threats which is unreal.

It's become a media circus.

As I said before, he should just go to Channel 4. The Beeb is no place for the likes of Jeremy Clarkson.

On Channel 4 I'm sure he could be as controversial as he wants.

Nick

Administrator
Looks like he has been sacked, how will that work though if he owns 50% of Top gear with his mate?

olderskyblue

Looks like he has been sacked, how will that work though if he owns 50% of Top gear with his mate?

Does he? I thought he had sold that ?

Nick

Administrator
Ah, must have missed that. They can carry on then!

Would have been messy if he still owned half.

olderskyblue

Ah, must have missed that. They can carry on then!

Would have been messy if he still owned half.

did some digging

In 2012, BBC Worldwide paid £8.4 million for Clarkson’s stake in a joint venture which had owned the commercial rights to Top Gear. Clarkson had received dividends - £4.86 million in 2012 - as a co-owner of the company, Bedder 6.
Under the terms of the new contract, Clarkson now receives a seven-figure fee from BBC Worldwide and the corporation owns the rights to the Top Gear format, name and intellectual property.

Nick

Administrator
The press are going to town with it, obviously punching people is wrong. He gave him a fat lip.

The press are going on about "the violent truths" as if he has cut the blokes arm off and battered him to death with it.

Also, who goes to A and E because of a split lip? Seriously? The fella must have had dollar signs the moment he felt it.

Colonel Mustard

Aditya Chakrabortty put out a good tweet on the matter: 'Far more interesting than Clarkson is the number of people willing to defend bullying and violence, provided it's done by a big enough bully'

It's bad enough that Clarkson abused and assaulted a subordinate in public. But he of all people knew he was on his last chance after having loads of previous incidents forgiven. He'll be off to a commercial network and will get paid. Nobody should be apologising for this guy.

chiefdave

How did he own half of Top Gear? It was going for years before he was a presenter wasn't it?

At the best of times you can't go round punching people at work. Even more so when you're on a final warning for all problems in recent months with racism etc.

It's quite frustrating that with all the causes that need supporting so many people are keen to get behind Clarkson when he's clearly in the wrong.

olderskyblue

How did he own half of Top Gear? It was going for years before he was a presenter wasn't it?

At the best of times you can't go round punching people at work. Even more so when you're on a final warning for all problems in recent months with racism etc.

It's quite frustrating that with all the causes that need supporting so many people are keen to get behind Clarkson when he's clearly in the wrong.

Agreed, he is in the wrong.

It's true, Top Gear will not be the same without him, but no doubt a similar type of show will pop up soon enough....

Sympathy not required here, move on.. :)

Grendel

Aditya Chakrabortty put out a good tweet on the matter: 'Far more interesting than Clarkson is the number of people willing to defend bullying and violence, provided it's done by a big enough bully'

It's bad enough that Clarkson abused and assaulted a subordinate in public. But he of all people knew he was on his last chance after having loads of previous incidents forgiven. He'll be off to a commercial network and will get paid. Nobody should be apologising for this guy.

The best summary of the whole tawdry event.

Really imagine someone in the workplace thumping a subordinate as the pastie they got them was a bit cold?

He's a bully. He will probably take over the equally odious Jonathan Ross and do his chat show on ITV

cloughie

Why not vote on the change.org poll to install Alan Partridge as his replacement I did

It would be so fittingly hillarious

Covstu

lets face it, this whole thing was going to happen, he will never change and that is part of the reason why people watched the show. You can guarantee he will be on Sky before you know it.

I bet given the numbers this was a huge decision for the Beeb..

lewys33

It's simple. Punch someone at work and you are very unlikely to get away with it, especially if it is your final warning.

However it has been blown way out of proportion. Some of the vile comments people spout about him, or the producer involved are beyond belief.

Grendel

It's simple. Punch someone at work and you are very unlikely to get away with it, especially if it is your final warning.

However it has been blown way out of proportion. Some of the vile comments people spout about him, or the producer involved are beyond belief.

I would say the opposite - the outpouring of grief regarding him is ridiculous. Bullies and abusers of power should be vilified and not applauded.

lewys33

I would say the opposite - the outpouring of grief regarding him is ridiculous. Bullies and abusers of power should be vilified and not applauded.

I wouldn't say it is the opposite, I would say it works both ways. I like the bloke and find him very entertaining. That doesn't mean I condone punching someone in the face at work, nor does it mean I think he should have kept his job. I don't think that should stop him getting another job though.

People suggesting the producer "deserved it, or should die" etc. are obsessed morons. Likewise the hatred towards Clarkson is also a tad obsessive.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Not that it adds to the debate, but I'd be happy to punch Clarkson.......see how he likes it.....maybe he could then use the steak he ordered to soothe the bruising.....

...stupid bigoted fat tory prick....

duffer

I've got to admit that there is something grimly fascinating about the whole thing for me. Who would've believed that a million people would have signed a petition defending his behaviour, just because he's a "talent".

I think Clarkson's a lot cleverer than people give him credit for, and nowhere near as reactionary and stupid as the character he plays on Top Gear. But for all that, it seems he's turned into a diva and you can't go punching people at work (or indeed anywhere else) because you didn't get what you wanted for dinner. He had to go, no debate for me.

As for Top Gear, I think the show had started to turn into a bit of a parody of itself anyway, and some of the scripted 'banter' made me cringe. Maybe a reboot elsewhere or with different presenters at the BBC won't hurt as much as people think. I'd also implore a programme supposedly about cars to stop destroying old classics just for a laugh, even Marinas. If you genuinely love cars as I do, and as Clarkson and others on the show claim to, it's just wrong.

Macca

Note the time and date, I agree 100%

Users who are viewing this thread