Totally unacceptable (3 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Racist abuse and picking on refs / linos who are kids isn't on.

Not sure about the "you're a disgrace" comments though.

Ian1779

For the top ones - players/coaches should be banned permanently IMO… only way it becomes a proper deterrent.

Adge

Mmm, again isn’t that a personal attack? “That’s a disgraceful decision” rather than “you’re a disgrace”
Neither obviously in an ideal world 👍

Frostie

Best thing about this Epsom & Ewell one today is that the player involved is (was) actually their joint manager... Great example.

rob9872

Best thing about this Epsom & Ewell one today is that the player involved is (was) actually their joint manager... Great example.
Cheap way to get someone they don't want off the books. Strange how you never see it with players of value to their club. Best example I guess was Cantona who was lauded as a hero for the King fu kick. Palace fan was a bellend, but until reactions like that are dealt with properly by clubs it won't change.

Frostie

Cheap way to get someone they don't want off the books. Strange how you never see it with players of value to their club. Best example I guess was Cantona who was lauded as a hero for the King fu kick. Palace fan was a bellend, but until reactions like that are dealt with properly by clubs it won't change.

I very much doubt that's the case at this level, hardly anyone at the club will even be contracted. Not to mention the current management team have an excellent record & are 3rd in the league with games in hand.

I think simply credit where it's due to the club for the swift, decisive action. Only thing they could have done better in my opinion is to name & shame the player but it's pretty common knowledge anyway.

David O'Day

Cantona kicked a racist, more people should kick racists.

rob9872

I'm sure he knew that when he kicked him ... as I've said the bloke was a bellend but that doesn't condone Cantonas actions

Adge

Yep-seen that in the week. Good controlled refereeing-he done well with all that was going on there.

South West Sky Blue

The man in the video from the first post (Lee Lashenko) was given an 8 game match day ban, followed by 4 game touch line ban.
I’ve played there before and live close by. He got a lot of bad press locally at the time. Not much reaction to the (very weak) ban.

Attachments

• 2DAA146D-BD99-4826-8DCC-FED13BBDC4D8.png
    2DAA146D-BD99-4826-8DCC-FED13BBDC4D8.png
    136 KB · Views: 30

Frostie

The man in the video from the first post (Lee Lashenko) was given an 8 game match day ban, followed by 4 game touch line ban.
I’ve played there before and live close by. He got a lot of bad press locally at the time. Not much reaction to the (very weak) ban.

It is a pathetically weak ban, you get longer for betting on matches.

As I'm sure has been said, this guy has previous & you probably won't be shocked to hear that the referee in question has decided to jack it in.

Adge

It is a pathetically weak ban, you get longer for betting on matches.

As I'm sure has been said, this guy has previous & you probably won't be shocked to hear that the referee in question has decided to jack it in.
And who would blame him? The sad thing is that it is a reasonable level (semi/professional) to be involved in, we are not talking about pub football here and years of hard work/promotions etc for the referee have now gone out of the window and another referee to add to the shortage has gone by the wayside.
Ah well, there may we’ll be another one along soon who he can abuse next time…..

Adge

Had lots to do with Ollie Williams in the past but when it’s now making nation/regional Tv alarm bells should be ringing.

Frostie

Had lots to do with Ollie Williams in the past but when it’s now making nation/regional Tv alarm bells should be ringing.

Read the very first comment which kind of sums up the problem...
Basically they need to get every decision right (his interpretation of right obviously) else they deserve everything they get.

What people fail to understand is the general standard of refereeing is declining because, in part, of the abuse refs face. The report says for every 700 that join 700 quit & I'd imagine in other parts of the country they actually have more leaving than newcomers. This leads to younger, inexperienced referees at every level who will make honest mistakes. They then subsequently get abused & the churn continues until we have games being called off as we have no referees available as has been happening this season.

The FA really need to take the lead on this. Their "Respect" campaign has been laughable. They don't provide referees with anywhere near the support they need & punishments for offenders are far too lenient.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

the general standard of refereeing is declining because, in part, of the abuse refs face.
I never know how I feel about this statement. As in, I don't know if I think it is or it isn't. I think part of the problem is that instead of analysing games, media analyses refereeing decisions. A whole half time slot can be spent looking at a decision that 50% of people think is right, and 50% is wrong. This means that it becomes the main focal point. So, we are spending more time analysing 'incorrect' decisions which makes people think it's getting worse.

It's a little bit like people saying 'People can't defend any more', then you watch games from the 90s and some of the defending looks like its from Sunday league. My Dad always bangs on about how bad refereeing has become, but also thinks any hard tackle is a red. I ask him how refereeing has got worse when in the 80s you could scythe a player down two footed and not get booked, and he can never answer.

South West Sky Blue

If you’re looking to tackle the problem, you have to accept everyone is to blame and all parties must improve.

Fans blame referees all the time. I get that it’s different inside the stadium. Fans should be able to shout for a dodgy penalty. However, should fans be playing the victim card and blaming refs

I don’t expect players to be gentlemen, but some increase honesty would be good. There’s barely an obvious throw-in now that both teams don’t claim. One set of players are lying for about 40-50 decisions a match. My Dad was my referee when I was young. He was strict so I was in an early habit of honesty and respect. It starts young.

Should Sky and the rest of the media and pundits be analysing refereeing decisions in minute detail every week looking to analyse every minor decision?

Managers try to deflect from their team’s and their own inadequacies by lambasting referees. It’s seemingly most matches, every week.

Come down harder on players of all ages. If it means Premiership matches finish with 8 men due to dissent, then so be it.

I’d love each coach / player sent off for dissent to have their ban doubled unless they referee local matches at youth or Sunday league level. It’ll add some empathy.
If a player is sent off for dissent twice in one season, take a point off their team.

I remember Darren Ferguson about 4-5 years ago almost wishing a ref dead in a post-match interview. Sod all happened. Warnock every week. Don’t just hit them with a small fine / ban. Hit them back with media campaigns of the impact they’re having and make them take a referee course band do it themselves.

I’ve played at decent levels (not been paid, so not great levels!) and never abused refs. Never been warned for dissent.

Naive, idealistic rant over!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Read the very first comment which kind of sums up the problem...
Basically they need to get every decision right (his interpretation of right obviously) else they deserve everything they get.

What people fail to understand is the general standard of refereeing is declining because, in part, of the abuse refs face. The report says for every 700 that join 700 quit & I'd imagine in other parts of the country they actually have more leaving than newcomers. This leads to younger, inexperienced referees at every level who will make honest mistakes. They then subsequently get abused & the churn continues until we have games being called off as we have no referees available as has been happening this season.

The FA really need to take the lead on this. Their "Respect" campaign has been laughable. They don't provide referees with anywhere near the support they need & punishments for offenders are far too lenient.

The only 'support' they seem to give them is in rarely admitting when a ref has got it wrong. Although in the modern world I can see why they want to, for fear of legal action, I'm sure it does say in the articles that refs/FA etc are not accountable for honest referring errors.

I think it'd be far better if they admitted that the refs had made mistakes (they are human after all) but come down much harder on players/managers that shout abuse, intimidate, knowingly claim decisions falsely or cheat with retrospective yellow cards, fines and bans to change attitudes from the top down. At lower levels it should be big fines and jail with ref's association backing them to the hilt.

If rugby can get 17st giants to respect some tiny guy with a whistle I think football should be able to.

SBAndy

Loosely related to all of this but the petulance of players is hugely on the rise again. Kicking the ball away, blocking short free kicks (not just being there, but actively reaching to block it), etc. All annoys me. Get the cards out.

Frostie

Fair play to the club though with the swift action..,,

Remember this? Player/Manager punching referee & opposition players.

Punishment decided today...

Ban until end of season & £75 fine.

What an absolute joke. 😡

Brighton Sky Blue

The only 'support' they seem to give them is in rarely admitting when a ref has got it wrong. Although in the modern world I can see why they want to, for fear of legal action, I'm sure it does say in the articles that refs/FA etc are not accountable for honest referring errors.

I think it'd be far better if they admitted that the refs had made mistakes (they are human after all) but come down much harder on players/managers that shout abuse, intimidate, knowingly claim decisions falsely or cheat with retrospective yellow cards, fines and bans to change attitudes from the top down. At lower levels it should be big fines and jail with ref's association backing them to the hilt.

If rugby can get 17st giants to respect some tiny guy with a whistle I think football should be able to.

Clough in his sober years in his dismantling of John Motson said to the effect of people don’t appreciate how hard it is to make a split second decision with tens of thousands making all kinds of noise around you.

That holds true and should be emphasised but equally the disgraceful performance of Andre Marriner against Blackpool should have had consequences. He just couldn’t be arsed

Last edited:

South West Sky Blue

Remember this? Player/Manager punching referee & opposition players.

Punishment decided today...

Ban until end of season & £75 fine.

What an absolute joke. 😡

That's unbelievable. Opposition players getting involved not to challenge the moron, but because they (and the ref) rightly feared he would be attacked.
Shame on any club who takes this individual on unless he takes drastic action to make amends. I know it's a slippery slope and we took Marlon King on. I'm rambling coz I just can't get my head around that disciplinary ruling!

rob9872

Fans need to take responsibility too. Last night the JCH sex offender song was levelled at the referee loud and proud. When Moore dived at a players legs late on, it was heart in the mouth time as I thought after those stupid actions he'd give a pen on a 50/50. Human nature and I'd have been annoyed but could've understood it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fans need to take responsibility too. Last night the JCH sex offender song was levelled at the referee loud and proud. When Moore dived at a players legs late on, it was heart in the mouth time as I thought after those stupid actions he'd give a pen on a 50/50. Human nature and I'd have been annoyed but could've understood it.

There was also ‘the linesman’s a paedo’ which I didn’t like at all

rob9872

There was also ‘the linesman’s a paedo’ which I didn’t like at all
I didn't like that either, although I must admit to liking 'lights on if your dad's a nonce', just appealed to my sense of humour as they mostly turned them off quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread