Totally unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I didn't like that either, although I must admit to liking 'lights on if your dad's a nonce', just appealed to my sense of humour as they mostly turned them off quickly.

Not brilliantly happy with that either but a bit better than aiming it at one person doing an honest job.

Adge

Remember this? Player/Manager punching referee & opposition players.

Punishment decided today...

Ban until end of season & £75 fine.

What an absolute joke. 😡

Yes-did see it earlier. Shocking, not sure if you read the full report from the FA? Don’t really cover themselves in glory and people still wonder why Referees are leaving the game in droves at that level and below. 🙄

Hertsccfc

Not brilliantly happy with that either but a bit better than aiming it at one person doing an honest job.
These sorts of chants are outrageous and need to be stopped in my view. The problem is some nutter is going to believe them. It's like when paediatricians were being targeted by 'have a go heroes'.

rob9872

These sorts of chants are outrageous and need to be stopped in my view. The problem is some nutter is going to believe them. It's like when paediatricians were being targeted by 'have a go heroes'.
Yeah making kids better only so they could interfere with them - bang out of order

Frostie

Yes-did see it earlier. Shocking, not sure if you read the full report from the FA? Don’t really cover themselves in glory and people still wonder why Referees are leaving the game in droves at that level and below. 🙄

Adge

On the other hand...

Must say I’ve felt like doing that myself on many occasions but you have to rise above it.
It even happened to Darren Drysdale last season where he reacted to an Ipswich player and squared up to him aswell.
Let’s now see if the County FA are consistent regarding the punishment that the referee in this clip will be getting-something like a £75 fine and 180 day ban which seems to be the benchmark if a player assaults an official.🙄

lifeskyblue

Lock the spectator up and throw away the key. Happening more and more and if we not careful there won’t be any amateur refs left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

We were on a MFL game last week and have heard that from next season there is a possibility that only Div 2 and above will have 3 officials due to lack of numbers. This is not pub team Sunday morning cloggers football we are talking about.
Division 3 games involves teams such as Coventry Rangers-Leamington Hibs who charge an entry fee for spectators of £3-£4. Not a huge sum, but if you are paying spectator and a referee has no assistants that is unfair on the spectators, the two teams and the referee.
A sad sign of the times indeed.🥺

South West Sky Blue

Is this increasingly common now, or is social media highlighting what has always been there? I don’t know, but I’d be inclined to lean towards the former.

I’m thinking that there could well be a brief nationwide strike of all referees covering all adults football before the end of next season. This includes Premiership, EFL and amateur levels. Tbh, I’d probably encourage it.

FA have taken measures to improve matters in the last 10 years, but it’s not been very successful. Not seen them try much harder in the face of minimal success.

Adge

There is talk of a pilot and a league is happy to trial it but I can’t remember which league-somewhere up North where body cams will be worn. As usual, the FA do not want it 🙄

Brighton Sky Blue

Something like that happened to me as a teenager refereeing at Power League. Happy to admit I came home in tears and never did it again.

Adge

Been there and it’s so hard I finished the game spoke with an off duty police officer who acted as a witness for me at a later date. It was the sheer powerlessness to protect myself that did it. I sobbed all the way home out of frustration and it was the beginning of the end of my reffing career
Was that recently?

Adge

No 36 or so years ago as a 17 year old. Under 12 game. Parents and coach of one team surrounded me
Oh I see. Well that proves it that even in a world without social media etc bringing things to the fore that it was still there.
I’ve had it twice before-certainly not nice and like yourself I wouldn’t blame anyone who walks away. Other side of that though of course is that you then become part of the statistic and the “bullies” have won.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I have a mate who is genuinely a really good bloke, a fairly rational football fan and above all a great Dad. His son (around 10ish) has taken up football and is doing quite well but I feel like the Dad has got way too invested in it. Initially it seemed really nice, taking his kid up and down the country, he's had the opportunity to watch him play at some PL academy grounds etc. but a few weeks back he was messaging during a game saying some of the other parents had to have a word with him as he was going ballistic at the ref for giving a pen against his son. I genuinely couldn't believe he would be the type to firstly, do it, and secondly admit it. It was in a WhatsApp group and I called him out for it and basically told him to have a look in the mirror at what he was becoming. People get so invested they lose sight of why they do things. I have no idea if my daughter (or any possibly future children) will want to play football, but if they do, I want there to still be refs around to allow it to happen!

Brighton Sky Blue

I have a mate who is genuinely a really good bloke, a fairly rational football fan and above all a great Dad. His son (around 10ish) has taken up football and is doing quite well but I feel like the Dad has got way too invested in it. Initially it seemed really nice, taking his kid up and down the country, he's had the opportunity to watch him play at some PL academy grounds etc. but a few weeks back he was messaging during a game saying some of the other parents had to have a word with him as he was going ballistic at the ref for giving a pen against his son. I genuinely couldn't believe he would be the type to firstly, do it, and secondly admit it. It was in a WhatsApp group and I called him out for it and basically told him to have a look in the mirror at what he was becoming. People get so invested they lose sight of why they do things. I have no idea if my daughter (or any possibly future children) will want to play football, but if they do, I want there to still be refs around to allow it to happen!

I refereed an U8 game once. The result was pretty one sided but one of the dads told his son ‘if you just can’t be arsed anymore I’ll stop taking you’. To a 7 year old kid what kind of thing is that to say?

eastwoodsdustman

I refereed an U8 game once. The result was pretty one sided but one of the dads told his son ‘if you just can’t be arsed anymore I’ll stop taking you’. To a 7 year old kid what kind of thing is that to say?
Generally, the worst parents are ones that were decent players themselves but either pissed their chances away or got injured. They try to re live it through their kids. Their kids are usually the ones who lose interest the quickest.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Generally, the worst parents are ones that were decent players themselves but either pissed their chances away or got injured. They try to re live it through their kids. Their kids are usually the ones who lose interest the quickest.
Agreed. Not just in football but many walks of life.

So desperate for them to make it they push so hard the kid starts despising the thing they're being pushed to do and once that happens they've got almost no chance of doing it successfully because their heart's not in it.

ProfessorbyGrace

This is abhorrent too.

Sorry, I don't see what's abhorrent? Unless I've missed something, which is possible. Personally, and this is just me, I thought she dealt very well with the situation. Isn't confrontation part of the game nowadays, or have I literally been left behind?

Furthermore, the playing staff weren't obviously aggressive, but I suppose their language could have been strong. Would this have been more or less abhorrent if the referee was male? As I believe that if a young female is refereeing a men's football match, she's prepared for the sexist brigade to pipe up at least a few times per match. Which of course, doesn't make it right, but I'm sure her training involved awareness of certain hostilities in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread