Train strike 30th July (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Oh it's the drivers?

Must be hard to have an average wage of £48,500. The paupers.

fernandopartridge

Oh it's the drivers?

Must be hard to have an average wage of £48,500. The paupers.

Deary me, I'm alright Nick strikes again. You drive everywhere anyway.

No matter what salary you are on, if you do not receive a pay increase commensurate with inflation every year you are receiving a pay cut. It is simple as that and good luck to anybody in dispute with their employer about it.

What the self-employed you say? Well you should simply draft indexation clauses into the agreements you have with your clients if you're in long term contracts.

pusbccfc

The train strike in the summer was supported by most but wait until they start striking when football is on...

WGABSOOS

No matter what salary you are on, if you do not receive a pay increase commensurate with inflation every year you are receiving a pay cut. It is simple as that and good luck to anybody in dispute with their employer about it.

What the self-employed you say? Well you should simply draft indexation clauses into the agreements you have with your clients if you're in long term contracts.
Sorry I don't have sympathy. Bringing the country to a halt when they have been offered a decent rise in the current climate when already on high salaries. Still at least if you ever have to suffer as a result of someone's strike you won't moan about it hey.

Kieranp96

99% don’t receive a increase because of inflation, if that was the case we wouldn’t be making £20k a year as a adult expected to buy a house pay mortgage drive a car pay bills ect, there are a lot more people who should be protesting.

why are the nurses not protesting?
why the policemen, firemen ect?

Nick

Administrator

Good luck when prices for everything rise with everybody's wage then. It's all well and good shouting about everybody getting a pay rise but then when the prices rise for everything will we all be going on strike for more pay rises? How many people are really getting a 7-10% pay rise every year?

Yeah simple as that, draft indexation clauses for long term contracts.

A small business can't go to it's existing customers and say "Oh yeah 10% increase a year" in a lot of industries if they want to be competitive. Client's simply wouldn't agree to sign anything with that in.

I haven't had a pay increase so it's hardly "I'm alright". The last train strike impacted me also, I don't drive everywhere at all ;)

fernandopartridge

99% don’t receive a increase because of inflation, if that was the case we wouldn’t be making £20k a year as a adult expected to buy a house pay mortgage drive a car pay bills ect, there are a lot more people who should be protesting.

why are the nurses not protesting?
why the policemen, firemen ect?

Who says they're not

Brighton Sky Blue

Sorry I don't have sympathy. Bringing the country to a halt when they have been offered a decent rise in the current climate when already on high salaries. Still at least if you ever have to suffer as a result of someone's strike you won't moan about it hey.

They get better rises and conditions because a) their job is skilled and important and b) they're in a strong union. Don't like it do what loads of others keep saying and 'get a better job'. Find another way to the game or watch it on Sky

fernandopartridge

Erm my eyes? 😂, last I seen about nurses protesting wa a last year because they worked through covid , but so did I I wasn’t crying about a raise, but then again I don’t need to protest.

Firefighters Could Strike Across UK Over ‘Insulting’ 2% Pay Rise Offer - Bloomberg

Fair Pay for Nursing | Campaigns | Royal College of Nursing | Royal College of Nursing (rcn.org.uk)

‘Police pay rise is decent thing to do during cost of living crisis’ (polfed.org)

so that's just the 3 trade unions covering the 3 areas you talk about you ignorant oaf

Nick

Administrator
"EVERYBODY SHOULD GET A PAY RISE WITH INFLATION OR GO ON STRIKE"

"WHY HAVE FOOTBALL TICKETS AND PINTS GONE UP IN PRICE?????? COST OF LIVING ETC"

NorthernWisdom

Well if everybody got their pay rises, they'd pay more income tax and national insurance, so government could then reduce VAT etc to keep prices stable, of course.

They could also bring train companies back into public ownership so profits went into the public purse rather than shareholders, which could also see less pressure on tickets to pay said shareholders rather than the drivers...

fernandopartridge

Look how that went down when 8 games a year are £3 more expensive.

Think some need to step out of the public sector and look at SMB / Self Employed / Zero Hours etc. It's a completely different world.

I work in the private sector, as do all rail workers.

I think it's you that needs to understand why all those things happen. It's because people sit around swallowing rubbish about wage / price spirals.

Rail fares increase every year linked to the rate of inflation of the previous July. If RPI inflation is on or around 12% in May so is likely to be higher by July. So the fares are going up anyway yet the pay for drivers and staff goes up at a much lower rate. Where does the rest go?

Nick

Administrator
Well if everybody got their pay rises, they'd pay more income tax and national insurance, so government could then reduce VAT etc to keep prices stable, of course.

They could also bring train companies back into public ownership so profits went into the public purse rather than shareholders, which could also see less pressure on tickets to pay said shareholders rather than the drivers...

When was the last time VAT was reduced across the board?

It isn't just train drivers, if everybody employed gets 10% pay rises every year then everything is going to go up in price to cover it. Then we need another pay rise to cover that.

Take a Small / Medium business who has to give a 10% pay rise to 20 staff every year. Then there's the increase from suppliers for their staff and materials etc.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Interesting to see that in Germany you can buy a 9 Euro ticket for 3 months' travel and in Spain short to medium distance train travel has been made free from September to the start of 2023. Meanwhile in the UK, mortgage facilities are available at all stations...

Nick

Administrator
I work in the private sector, as do all rail workers.

I think it's you that needs to understand why all those things happen. It's because people sit around swallowing rubbish about wage / price spirals.

Rail fares increase every year linked to the rate of inflation of the previous July. If RPI inflation is on or around 12% in May so is likely to be higher by July. So the fares are going up anyway yet the pay for drivers and staff goes up at a much lower rate. Where does the rest go?

Then fair play to you for getting a decent pay rise every year in it!

I don't need to swallow anything about price spirals, I have seen the impact working for SMEs first hand who don't have greedy shareholders and huge profits to absorb the additional costs in. The same as mates who work in various trades who keep having to put their prices up to cover costs (yep fuel is mostly the government taking their taxes etc) but then it's the everyday person who then has to pay more for an electrician, plumber or carpenter.

Nick

Administrator
What's that fit to do with anything? You complain about people wanting more money, but choose not to complain about that.

Because NW said VAT could be lowered if everybody was earning more, I just asked when it last happened.

It's all well and good saying power to the people, give everybody a pay rise but what happens then?

shmmeee

Wage rises didn’t cause inflation. We’ve had stagnant wages for over a decade.

Your argument is that the maker of steel is fine putting up prices because their input costs have gone up, but the suppliers of labour aren’t.

Have a word with companies making huge profits or bosses living like kings if you want to look for savings.

shmmeee

Because NW said VAT could be lowered if everybody was earning more, I just asked when it last happened.

It's all well and good saying power to the people, give everybody a pay rise but what happens then?

A booming middle class?

Evo1883

To be fair , prices had already gone up over 2000 a year for most families before the majority started striking .. inflation wasn't because of pay rises as 99% of people havent had 1

Blame greedy business

shmmeee

That's assuming every business has massive shareholder dividend.

If you can’t make your business work while paying a living wage you don’t have a viable business. What other supplier can you refuse to pay above production costs for?

I could run a successful business if I was allowed to pay £0/hr, this is just an extension of that.

Nick

Administrator
If you can’t make your business work while paying a living wage you don’t have a viable business. What other supplier can you refuse to pay above production costs for?

I could run a successful business if I was allowed to pay £0/hr, this is just an extension of that.

Yes and to give somebody 10% payrises a year the business has to increase it's prices.

Pretty sure train drivers in this example are on a fair bit more than the living wage?

Does that mean if people can't afford to live on the cost of living wage then they don't have a viable lifestyle?

shmmeee

Yes and to give somebody 10% payrises a year the business has to increase it's prices.

Pretty sure train drivers in this example are on a fair bit more than the living wage?

Does that mean if people can't afford to live on the cost of living wage then they don't have a viable lifestyle?

Not by 10% though, unless their job is purely them working on something like a hairdresser.

And yes people can and do live above their means, at all wage levels. But living in the fifth richest nation on the planet does come with certain expectations not to eat gruel and have central heating on for special occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread