Train strike 30th July (3 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You must though have some case studies that show it works?
Well, that's the thing with new ideas and concepts - they don't have any. It requires a leap of faith. What we have now is a clear case study in what doesn't work - if it did we wouldn't be having all these problems with lots of people in one of the richest nations on earth not being able to afford to heat their homes and/or buy food while others can just pile money up.

I'm not suggesting such a thing would automatically solve all problems, or that it would ensure success for said businesses. There would be those who would look to find ways around it for their own selfish gain at the expense of others and society in general but its potential for the vast majority of people is far better than the current idea of the rewards being heavily skewed towards a small group that happen to have the resources to buy a bit of paper saying they're entitled to them.

Working along a similar thought process, but not exactly the same, you could look at Co-Op, John Lewis, Waitrose. They're doing alright.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Nah. Look what we’re doing now with the current fuel preferences.
But it's replacing one shit option with another shit option. Yes, the carbon crisis might be an immediate problem, but so is nuclear if something goes wrong. Safety is very good, but I work on the idea of cumulative risk. It WILL happen eventually. And the more nuclear plants you build, the sooner that eventuality occurs. Then there's the issue of the spent fuel and what to do with it, as it could be hanging around with the potential to cause all sorts of health problems for many generations

Nuclear are not quick or cheap to build either. By the time we've agreed on building another plant and constructing it it'll probably be nearer 2050. Imagine how more efficient renewables could be by then? You'd build it and it'd almost be redundant immediately.
Hinckley Point C has a guaranteed price of something like £92.50 MWh. Wind and solar are now around £50 MWh. Then there's the potential for the technology to be used by indivual homes with panels, turbines. Can't see houses having a mini nuclear reactors fitted.

Brighton Sky Blue

But it's replacing one shit option with another shit option. Yes, the carbon crisis might be an immediate problem, but so is nuclear if something goes wrong. Safety is very good, but I work on the idea of cumulative risk. It WILL happen eventually. And the more nuclear plants you build, the sooner that eventuality occurs. Then there's the issue of the spent fuel and what to do with it, as it could be hanging around with the potential to cause all sorts of health problems for many generations

Nuclear are not quick or cheap to build either. By the time we've agreed on building another plant and constructing it it'll probably be nearer 2050. Imagine how more efficient renewables could be by then? You'd build it and it'd almost be redundant immediately.
Hinckley Point C has a guaranteed price of something like £92.50 MWh. Wind and solar are now around £50 MWh. Then there's the potential for the technology to be used by indivual homes with panels, turbines. Can't see houses having a mini nuclear reactors fitted.

My point is we should already have built them some time ago. The quantity of fuel is very small and research is finding ever more effective ways of recycling the spent material. Take a look at how it’s worked in France all this time. Carbon based fuels have taken us to the point of annual wildfires in Europe and elsewhere, weather extremes that are becoming regular and certain parts of the world becoming uninhabitable.

It isn’t a long term solution but it buys time for one to be found-and I’ve said before what I think that should be.

Grendel

Well, that's the thing with new ideas and concepts - they don't have any. It requires a leap of faith. What we have now is a clear case study in what doesn't work - if it did we wouldn't be having all these problems with lots of people in one of the richest nations on earth not being able to afford to heat their homes and/or buy food while others can just pile money up.

I'm not suggesting such a thing would automatically solve all problems, or that it would ensure success for said businesses. There would be those who would look to find ways around it for their own selfish gain at the expense of others and society in general but its potential for the vast majority of people is far better than the current idea of the rewards being heavily skewed towards a small group that happen to have the resources to buy a bit of paper saying they're entitled to them.

Working along a similar thought process, but not exactly the same, you could look at Co-Op, John Lewis, Waitrose. They're doing alright.

You really have a huge chip on your shoulder

skybluegod

It’s divide and conquer-how many other pay awards get split like that and see more experienced staff get less?

I would take 9% across the board and fully funded. Imagine they will make this increase come from existing school budgets.

Military have had the same split (admittedly less of a difference but also far less overall). But then again more experienced teachers are at the top of their paybands, they have prioritised the lowest earners which is the right thing to do.

Ian1779

It’s divide and conquer-how many other pay awards get split like that and see more experienced staff get less?

I would take 9% across the board and fully funded. Imagine they will make this increase come from existing school budgets.
Just on a rough look I imagine it will barely put you ahead of where you were before the NI hike. So it’s not really a pay rise - more a rebalance that will undoubtedly come out of school budget.

Brighton Sky Blue

Military have had the same split (admittedly less of a difference but also far less overall). But then again more experienced teachers are at the top of their paybands, they have prioritised the lowest earners which is the right thing to do.

Well the problem is teachers leaving the profession as well as joining it so really both need to be addressed.

rob9872

Everyone going on strike or threatening to.

Oh look a money tree ... no, my bad it's just the private sector.

Of course we don't have the same increases in fuel, goods in store and energy. Occasionally, we have the privilege of paying more for those same goods when the stores discount for teachers or NHS workers.

No need to look inwardly and see if you can be more lean, because there will always be someone else to pay.

NorthernWisdom

Of course we don't have the same increases in fuel, goods in store and energy. Occasionally, we have the privilege of paying more for those same goods when the stores discount for teachers or NHS workers.

No need to look inwardly and see if you can be more lean, because there will always be someone else to pay.
If I was any leaner I'd be anorexic

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Fucks sake. Even Marie Antoinette would let people have cake!

Do you know who could look inwardly? The companies and individuals who are making more money than ever before while others struggle. But why would they do that when there will always be someone else to pay - the public.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fucks sake. Even Marie Antoinette would let people have cake!

Do you know who could look inwardly? The companies and individuals who are making more money than ever before while others struggle. But why would they do that when there will always be someone else to pay - the public.

A divided workforce, in this case private v public, leaves nobody better off. Dare I say also now those Royal Mail workers going on strike are actually private sector ones.

rob9872

Posties are private sector in name only though, still union led.

Plenty of competition out there too so should be careful really at this stage. My bills are all online, I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter and parcels come via a number of suppliers. In fact the only thing we use the post for is the odd birthday card and I think even those will be a huge decline for the next generation.

clint van damme

You must get furious when you see how much public money has propped up private sector rail companies

rob9872

You must get furious when you see how much public money has propped up private sector rail companies
I do yes. I also have never understood private energy firms where I get the same gas and electric but have multiple provider options with different price bands. To me, none of those ever will or should be private.

I know it's not the official definition, but private sector in my world is business where people have a choice to buy or use a service.

Brighton Sky Blue

I do yes. I also have never understood private energy firms where I get the same gas and electric but have multiple provider options with different price bands. To me, none of those ever will or should be private.

I know it's not the official definition, but private sector in my world is business where people have a choice to buy or use a service.

I think most would agree with that, and probably extend it to the railways and water suppliers.

NorthernWisdom

We're not too far away in that then. I'd maybe add where something is in the national interest as a caveat to it.

NorthernWisdom

ONS said:
Average total pay growth for the private sector was 8.2% in January to March 2022, while for the public sector it was 1.6% (Figure 3). The private sector total pay growth rate is amongst the record growth rates we saw in mid-2021 but the 2021 growth rates were strongly affected by base effects. Public sector total pay growth was last lower than 1.6% in June to August 2017 when it was 1.5%. The difference in total pay growth where the private sector is higher than the public sector is among the largest we have seen, the previous time being mid-2021

Users who are viewing this thread