Uber for Matt? (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Telling of what?
By all accounts Simms cost 3 mil. If he thinks he’s worth it then he should put his big boy pants on and step up to the plate. Wright will always be criticised due to his playing style, but I would have him ahead of Godden and Simms.
So if Wright struggled in his favoured position but prospered out wide, what does that tell you about our tactics?

Hertsccfc

So if Wright struggled in his favoured position but prospered out wide, what does that tell you about our tactics?
But I don't think Wright has struggled when played in the centre and the majority of his goals have come when he has played there. He has more assists when playing in the wider role.

Mucca Mad Boys

But I don't think Wright has struggled when played in the centre and the majority of his goals have come when he has played there. He has more assists when playing in the wider role.

So the consensus would be that so far, he’s played his better football at LW or ST? I don’t think MR would agree with that as things stand today.

The difference is Tuesday’s goal v Wednesday and he’s played upfront about 3-5 times more than LW. So if we wanted to go into the granular detail, he’s probably got a better MPG playing LW atm.

Hertsccfc

So the consensus would be that so far, he’s played his better football at LW or ST? I don’t think MR would agree with that as things stand today.

The difference is Tuesday’s goal v Wednesday and he’s played upfront about 3-5 times more than LW. So if we wanted to go into the granular detail, he’s probably got a better MPG playing LW atm.
He's played roughly the same amount in both positions. Subjectively I think he has played better on the left but he has proved it is possible to score in the middle in this team. Also he played in the centre more at the beginning when he was adjusting to playing in a new team/country.

blunted

I,ve said it before, Matty for some reason has lost his mojo but that doesn't mean he won't get it back. Missing 3 out of his last 4 penalties is not the player who never missed but it is also not indicative of getting too old. Never had great pace, his brilliance was his speed of thought and execution in the box. He has looked poor recently and I get why people think it is all over for him. However, write Matty off at your peril.

GaryJones

Never want to see the sulking twat in a City shirt again. Seems to think we as fans owe him something. Fuck off.
Very unfair - he has been an absolute legend. He is not getting the rub of the green right now and going through a sticky patch - this is the time he needs the support of the fans more than ever!
He is a winner & a proven goalscorer so he is probably just pissed off with himself - not the fans.
Grow up man.

The watchmaker

He's ours till end of season for sure

Save the obituaries. He may still have a magic moment or two left in him for us. Let's pray that happens
Some mental stuff on here (not specifically this thread) about Godden. Even if we accept our best front 4 is:

Sakamoto - O'Hare - Wright
Simms

Godden and Palmer are the only 2 proper attacking subs we have. If we need a goal in a BIG game and someone takes a knock I am going to be way happier seeing Godden come on than seeing dasilva take the wing.

covcity4life

Some mental stuff on here (not specifically this thread) about Godden. Even if we accept our best front 4 is:

Sakamoto - O'Hare - Wright
Simms

Godden and Palmer are the only 2 proper attacking subs we have. If we need a goal in a BIG game and someone takes a knock I am going to be way happier seeing Godden come on than seeing dasilva take the wing.
Agree.

Although da Silva was good today and is an option albeit not ideal for lw

False9

I think that's 1 goal in our last 27 games against championship opposition, albeit he missed a few.

The only positive spin I could put on it is that at least he actually got on the end of some chances tonight...

SkyBlueMatt

I'll support Godden while he still wears sky blue. I don't see the point of being negative.

You can tell he is desperate to play so the likelihood is he'll leave in the summer for more game time. Until then, he is one of 6 players covering 4 spots. So he's going to need to play some part.

Players are still human and being slated by your own fans on social media is going to do nothing for your confidence.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

JoeCCFCPUSB

He has been an absolute legend and a servant to this club, but he is 33 in a few months and he simply hasn't got the required ability to cut it with how we are playing currently.

Go and watch back all our previous highlights over the past 2 months, Sakamoto, O'Hare, Palmer and Milan pretty much playing tiki taka football with the Haji Wright being the guy unmarked and scoring for us. them 4 players have completely turned our fortunes in my opinion, and where does Matty Godden fit into this style? the answer is simple, he doesn't.

Matty Godden just hasn't got the natural ability to play that technical style of football, he effectively goes missing because of the way we are playing and what you're left with is a player being exposed for his limitations rather than a player being exposed because of is lack of application.

He is always going to do a job in a Coventry City side that is where Plymouth currently are in the table, when we were focused on not achieving anything but finishing above safety (17th, 18th position) we the fans were just glad to have a Matty Godden in the squad, someone that would bag you 10 goals, 4 or 5 of which coming from the penalty spot.

Now we are an actual force in this division, we have outgrown the Matty Godden level of player.

Deity

Godden wasn’t good enough last season, and isn’t this.

For me he’s not a legend.

He had a great promo season in lg1 and has made a solid contribution in the championship. Legends deliver much more than that.

I do think he’s probably a very good senior pro in the club and one Robins has loved having around.

We move on

ccfc1234

He has scored far more since he has played off the left with licence to cut in. Sunday was a classic example with him struggling as the lone forward, switched to the left and then scores two.

Last edited:

fatso

I,ve said it before, Matty for some reason has lost his mojo but that doesn't mean he won't get it back. Missing 3 out of his last 4 penalties is not the player who never missed but it is also not indicative of getting too old. Never had great pace, his brilliance was his speed of thought and execution in the box. He has looked poor recently and I get why people think it is all over for him. However, write Matty off at your peril.
He got into position to score 2 goals last night, he got a piss poor connection on the first, and the second effort hit the keepers leg. Fine margins for a striker, on another day he gets all the plaudits for scoring 2 goals.
But there's little doubt that this formation doesn't exactly suit any of the 3 strikers we currently have.

At the other end of the pitch Bobby Thomas had an equally poor game, his reckless dive in tackle, or whatever the fuck it was, caused the first goal, and then he gets a deflection for the second.

I like Thomas, but he's always got a fuck up just waiting to happen.
Hopefully that will improve with experience.

Martin180

Why are you trying so hard to get godden off the hook for a bad miss though? Would wright and Simms get you lawyered up in the same way?
Judge Judy GIF

JSL

Not that I am defending MG's form, but didn't he become a dad for the first time late last year? Some will know of the domestic turmoil that will cause and perhaps its catching him up. He's been a good player for us and until recently, many would have been distraught if he wasn't on the team sheet. how times change quickly.....

Terry_dactyl

Why are you trying so hard to get godden off the hook for a bad miss though? Would wright and Simms get you lawyered up in the same way?
Am I trying that hard? It’s a shocker, as was Wrights.

Edit: ive come back to this having read your ramblings. What are you suggesting here?

skybluegod

Godden is a good lower champ striker but not in this system/formation. We need more and he is in an awful run of form. It's a hard job as the striker in the formation, but we have what we have and we will just have to hope he can nick a couple between now and the end of the season.

New contract seems more and more odd though.

wingy

Not that I am defending MG's form, but didn't he become a dad for the first time late last year? Some will know of the domestic turmoil that will cause and perhaps its catching him up. He's been a good player for us and until recently, many would have been distraught if he wasn't on the team sheet. how times change quickly.....
He's just been to Arsenal lately with his nipper?

Brighton Sky Blue

The more obvious conclusion would just be that age is catching up with him. Which as someone of the same age is pretty sobering but there we are

Users who are viewing this thread