Villa anyone? (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

Ah, the old "your not a true Sky Blue Fan". My office is in Brum and if one of my lads (who was a Villa fan) said I have a spare ticket for a game against Arsenal (who are the team I would most watch in the PL), I would go along. Does those circumstances mean I am not a true 'Cov Fan'? Sometimes I think you need to choose your words more carefully.

If you go to Villa Park I genuinely couldn't give two hoots. Each to their own I guess. Worry about your own posts and I'll worry about mine.

The Gentleman

If you go to Villa Park I genuinely couldn't give two hoots. Each to their own I guess. Worry about your own posts and I'll worry about mine.

I'll repeat my question then seeing as you've accused Cov fans of not being a true Sky Blue, which was your quote wasn't it?. Does the fact that I enjoy watching Arsenal play and if I got a free ticket to see them at Villa Park mean I am not a true Sky Blue Fan?

RoboCCFC90

What if we're in the Europa League final Robo in 2024 and it's Villa Park? You've not thought this through mate....:thinking about::D

WM

I wouldn't go WM 100%

SkyBlueSid

When I started supporting City in the early 60s in Div 3, there were always people that went to the Div 1 games at Aston Villa, West Bromwich and even Birmingham City when City were away. There were always Red House coaches from Pool Meadow to their games for 4/6d. I was deemed too young for long away trips but occasionally went to a few of those games. None of this ever affected my support for the City, it was just an opportunity too see top flight football now and again. Of course, in 1967 we had it at Highfield Road, but the coaches still went for years afterwards.

Moff

Ok I may go to see England if someone gave/got me a ticket, but I was talking Club team not country. I dont have the same passion for England as I do for Coventry.

Even in your scenario that if one of your workmates had a spare ticket for Villa, I wouldn't go, as I wouldn't be interested so it would be a waste of my time, and I have better uses of my time including watching other sports I may enjoy. This though is personal preference and I understand why people may feel differently.

(I also feel this is reflective of my loss of love for the beautiful game which has in my opinion gone rapidly downhill since the Sky revolution)

RoboCCFC90

I'll repeat my question then seeing as you've accused Cov fans of not being a true Sky Blue, which was your quote wasn't it?. Does the fact that I enjoy watching Arsenal play and if I got a free ticket to see them at Villa Park mean I am not a true Sky Blue Fan?

You quoted it maybe you can tell me?

You enjoy watching Arsenal, Good for you, you must have been knocking your socks off recently when they played us..

Edit: To answer your question maybe it's not for me to judge, after all like everyone else on the forum I have my own opinion and probably differs from most others, however do you think it's a valid argument when you see people posting against the fans who go into Sixfields or at the beginning of the season you see other fans outside Sixfields holding a bed sheet with the words "If you are a true sky blue do not enter" maybe you'd like to answer that as well seems you are so astute to picking all my quotes apart.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Yes and my point was that we have always lost fans to the big clubs when we were at the Ricoh and HR. It just makes it a harder job for parents at the minute to keep them interested :(

Yes completely agree in the past they would eventually come round to Cov as they grew up.
However not having Cov there they won't

The Gentleman

Ok I may go to see England if someone gave/got me a ticket, but I was talking Club team not country. I dont have the same passion for England as I do for Coventry.

Even in your scenario that if one of your workmates had a spare ticket for Villa, I wouldn't go, as I wouldn't be interested so it would be a waste of my time, and I have better uses of my time including watching other sports I may enjoy. This though is personal preference and I understand why people may feel differently.

(I also feel this is reflective of my loss of love for the beautiful game which has in my opinion gone rapidly downhill since the Sky revolution)

As much as CCFC is my passion, when I went away watching England it had a totally different feel to it and at least for a while I could say that I had (supposed) top players in my team. With regard to my going to Villa park to watch say Arsenal, I don't see it any different than watching a game on the TV.

stupot07

Yes completely agree in the past they would eventually come round to Cov as they grew up.

Not in my experience. The mates I had a school who supported liverpool or united etc still support them, they don't support Coventry. In fact all of the City supporters I know always supported the club and got stick at school for doing so.

This whole thing is a bit of a non-story, must be a slow news day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
Not in my experience. The mates I had a school who supported liverpool or united etc still support them, they don't support Coventry. In fact all of the City supporters I know always supported the club and got stick at school for doing so.

This whole thing is a bit of a non-story, must be a slow news day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Same for me for the people I know, most of them still go to the odd Man Utd game when they can but are out to watch every game. They did all go to the Crewe game though....

There was nothing worse on a Monday morning at school after the weekends results :(

Skyblueweeman

I wouldn't go WM 100%

Whhhhaaaaaaaat?!?! Now that I am shocked on! So if we got to a European Final (the first in our history), you wouldn't go if it was at Villa Park?

Wow! I agree with you on pretty much everything but this, just wow!

WM

PS. Each to their own and all that.

The Gentleman

You quoted it maybe you can tell me?

You enjoy watching Arsenal, Good for you, you must have been knocking your socks off recently when they played us..

Edit: To answer your question maybe it's not for me to judge, after all like everyone else on the forum I have my own opinion and probably differs from most others, however do you think it's a valid argument when you see people posting against the fans who go into Sixfields or at the beginning of the season you see other fans outside Sixfields holding a bed sheet with the words "If you are a true sky blue do not enter" maybe you'd like to answer that as well seems you are so astute to picking all my quotes apart.

I am sorry but if you are truly Sky Blue you'd never set foot in Villa park no matter the circumstances

Above is YOUR post I am referring too where YOU are accusing Cov fans of not being 'Truly Sky Blue Fans' if they go to Villa park. I merely put forward a scenario where I may go to Villa Park to watch a football match, I could also put forward about watching England there too. Again, I'll ask the question for a final time, am I a true fan for going to Villa Park in the above circumstances?

To answer your final point, I have never criticised anyone for going into Sixfields, it is entirely their choice. Because I choose not to does not make me better or worse and I don't agree with people accusing others of not being 'True Fans'. However, if you also don't agree with fans holding up bedsheets and calling Sixfield attendees not true fans, are you not doing the same thing by calling CCFC fans not 'True Sky Blue Fans' as per YOUR above quote?

RoboCCFC90

Whhhhaaaaaaaat?!?! Now that I am shocked on! So if we got to a European Final (the first in our history), you wouldn't go if it was at Villa Park?

Wow! I agree with you on pretty much everything but this, just wow!

WM

PS. Each to their own and all that.

The problem with your thesis WM is that if you are looking to host the final of a major European you would only pick Villa Park if you had absolutely no other choice as proven as it has never been picked and probably never will be picked as European Final Host :D

Grendel

Never come across that - most supported other clubs and stayed supporting other clubs.

RoboCCFC90

I am sorry but if you are truly Sky Blue you'd never set foot in Villa park no matter the circumstances

Above is YOUR post I am referring too where YOU are accusing Cov fans of not being 'Truly Sky Blue Fans' if they go to Villa park. I merely put forward a scenario where I may go to Villa Park to watch a football match, I could also put forward about watching England there too. Again, I'll ask the question for a final time, am I a true fan for going to Villa Park in the above circumstances?

To answer your final point, I have never criticised anyone for going into Sixfields, it is entirely their choice. Because I choose not to does not make me better or worse and I don't agree with people accusing others of not being 'True Fans'. However, if you also don't agree with fans holding up bedsheets and calling Sixfield attendees not true fans, are you not doing the same thing by calling CCFC fans not 'True Sky Blue Fans' as per YOUR above quote?

My answer is No what bit of that haven't you already gathered if you had read my earlier post.

Like I said then maybe it's not for me to judge who is and isn't maybe you should go and track the other fans down and make them aware of this point.

The Gentleman

My answer is No what bit of that haven't you already gathered if you had read my earlier post.

Like I said then maybe it's not for me to judge who is and isn't maybe you should go and track the other fans down and make them aware of this point.

Not quite sure, are you saying I'm not a true fan?

The Gentleman

We will resume this conversation once you learn the Queen's English.

Say's the man who couldn't spell bearing the other day LMFAO. You obviously see what I'm getting at, you are a hypocrite if you call Cov fans not True Sky Blues about one thing and then say it's wrong to call Cov Fans not 'True Sky Blues' about another. Do you know what, I think we'll leave this conversation because you've already dug a deep enough hole for yourself without me handing you the shovel.

AngryAnt

That is why I put it is a harder task for the parents to keep them interested.... Of course it will make a difference, but the whole losing fans to bigger clubs is nothing new at all. This was when we in the Premier League when I was surrounded by Glory Fans at school, I bet it worsened in the Championship and even more in League One.

I do think a lot of it is down to parents also when it comes to kids supporting teams.

Its not really a question of the parents keeping kids interested anymore. It was before we relocated, but now its the problem of keeping the parents themselves interested!
Most are starting to fall out of the habit of going to football! We're not just in danger of losing the next generation of kids, but also losing the parents and older fans too, who have found a free weekend is actually a nice thing!

RoboCCFC90

Say's the man who couldn't spell bearing the other day LMFAO. You obviously see what I'm getting at, you are a hypocrite if you call Cov fans not True Sky Blues about one thing and then say it's wrong to call Cov Fans not 'True Sky Blues' about another. Do you know what, I think we'll leave this conversation because you've already dug a deep enough hole for yourself without me handing you the shovel.

$T2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbZu4BRHi2pJDQg~~60_35.JPG

Nick

Administrator
Its not really a question of the parents keeping kids interested anymore. It was before we relocated, but now its the problem of keeping the parents themselves interested!
Most are starting to fall out of the habit of going to football! We're not just in danger of losing the next generation of kids, but also losing the parents and older fans too, who have found a free weekend is actually a nice thing!

So yes, if the parents don't want to go then the kids wont so as said, it is down to the parents.

The Gentleman

So yes, if the parents don't want to go then the kids wont so as said, it is down to the parents.

I don't know Nick, when I was a kid and old enough to know who to support, despite my dad being a Liverpool fan, I lived on Swan Lane and always used to go down to Highfield Road with a few mates. If we couldn't sneak in they we would have to use our pocket money, but my old man never encouraged me to go, for me is was about a local community thing that we could all do as mates and nothing to do with what my dad said.

Grendel

How did Brighton survive then when it had to play at Withdean for years.

BigadamL

The man of the cloth and his lady are in fact my mum and dad, seriously they are.

They are both major coventry fans with their old highfield road seats set up outside in the back garden.

My mum has been telling me for weeks she will wear her cov shirt under her coat when she goes.
I think this shows what will start happening to cov fans if they want to see top level of football in the near future.

I've told them they are mad going but the reply I got back from them both was ' least we will see the villa get stuffed'

italiahorse

So the news is "cov fans" are going to watch Villa to see top flight football?

I've been once on my daughters season ticket !!!!!
Shouted out "foul" when a villa player fouled and got a few looks from fans around.

Good game as well, as villa lost.

Different world.

italiahorse

Never come across that - most supported other clubs and stayed supporting other clubs.

You must have. Most kids like myself only went to Highfield Road when we were old enough.
If you didn't go you just watched it on the telly and picked your team and that was usually the one that won the league that year.
My brothers was Derby County because they won the league when he was 10 and mine were Liverpool and Man United for similar reasons.
To be honest I still see these 2 teams as the ones I support when I watch on TV.
However we both see Coventry as our first team, although my brother stopped going altogether this season and I'm only doing away matches.
When you went to your first match that sets you for life and Coventry was our first match.
I seem more interested in PL this season and hope Liverpool win it.
Next season .... Up the Reds ??/

Grendel

Tbf the withdean is in Brighton. Or am I completely missing your point? :)

Main point is lack of attendees. The cure argument is that if people don't go they drift elsewhere. The Brighton example suggests this not to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread