Villa anyone? (1 Viewer)

DaleM

Last time I went to Villa Park we were in the lower tier and the Villa fans kept pissing and chucking stuff on us . I ended up with a meat ? pie in the back of the head. Fucking wankers. Would only go if Cov were playing there. Can't stand 'em. Hope they get relegated and go bust.

Hobo

Keep this on topic about people going to Villa rather than sixfields before this thread ends up getting locked too!

I think you are the one off topic if you think this thread was started about two fans going to Villa. It is about how playing at Sixfields is affecting fans and how over time it could affect our fan base. The Villa trip is just an example Nick.
"Desperate times desperate measures"

The thread is actually about the dilemma of playing at Sixfields and how it is impacting on fans.

A lot of posters have actually evidenced how they watch football regularly as neutral fans, whether it be on TV or live.
There has also been debate on how allegiances are formed when we are children.

One fans phobia of Villa Park has just been a side show!

James Smith

As we were relegated* at Villa Park I have less love than normal for that ground than I do for most. That combined with the fact that the Villa play there makes it even worse. At least pick another Coventry team if you can to try and keep the support in the city.

* missed the game thanks to Virgin Trains not knowing how to run a train service back then. Sat with earphones on listening to the radio, screaming when we scored in tears by the end outside New Street. Jumped on the next train back to London and saw highlights on MOTD.

dongonzalos

I know loads of kids, including me, who supported other teams when they were 7-10 years. Once they were old enough to to Highfield Road support for Coventry took over.

Not all kids grow up with football loving parents who feel duty bound to take them to games.

This is very common

blend

Exactly, that is down to the parents isn't it like I said?

No you're completely wrong. My son is now 9 I have taken him up to the Ricoh a lot of times, he has lost faith he now supports Arsenal. I know why that is no need for you to guess. You saying it's my fault?

dongonzalos

It's not down to the parents.

Kids will migrate to the glory team.
Whilst their parents take them to Cov.
As they mature they will migrate back to Cov.

If Cov are not accessible far fewer will migrate back to Cov.

Grendel

It's not down to the parents.

Kids will migrate to the glory team.
Whilst their parents take them to Cov.
As they mature they will migrate back to Cov.

If Cov are not accessible far fewer will migrate back to Cov.

How did Brighton survive then?

Grendel

Who said Coventry would not survive?

They will just lose a lot of fans who are currently aged 8-14

Brighton increased attendances ahead of the levels at their old stadium. Are you saying the children don't go?

torchomatic

I never did either. I was born a City fan.

I must be the only one who has never supported anybody else or a glory team. :(

Hobo

I must be the only one who has never supported anybody else or a glory team. :(

When I was growing up it wasn't always about school friends supporting glory teams I.e. Newcastle and Sunderland. A lot of people followed teams because their father followed that team. A lot of kids were first generation Coventry kids as parents had come here for work. Families had greater bonds with other regions and this influenced the kids. I remember some supported Celtic or Rangers, one lad Dundee....now Dundee is never a glory team.

Nick

Administrator
When I was growing up it wasn't always about school friends supporting glory teams I.e. Newcastle and Sunderland. A lot of people followed teams because their father followed that team. A lot of kids were first generation Coventry kids as parents had come here for work. Families had greater bonds with other regions and this influenced the kids. I remember some supported Celtic or Rangers, one lad Dundee....now Dundee is never a glory team.

That is why I put anybody else. I didn't just mean glory teams I mean anybody other then CCFC.

What I meant was I must be the only one who hasn't ever supported anybody else and then one day decided to support CCFC.

hill83

I've always supported Coventry City as I'm from here. I take the piss out of glory supporters, Man Utd fans etc.
But lets not make ourselves martyrs, we had 34 years in the top flight, there are a hell of a lot of worse teams than us to support.

Hobo

That is why I put anybody else. I didn't just mean glory teams I mean anybody other then CCFC.

What I meant was I must be the only one who hasn't ever supported anybody else and then one day decided to support CCFC.

It is a strange selection process which team you support. I know one bloke who moved to Coventry from Scotland when he was 20 and he was a very loyal city fan (now sadly passed away).

I have met loan Man City fans in families that support United. I have met loan Everton fans in Liverpool households, having worked in both cities.

That magical transition often goes unnoticed. But their is often a moment when you suddenly realise this team matters more to me than any other. Once you find yourself north of that line there is no going back.

For me England I can take or leave....I like to see all the home nations do well, although I might have an order of preference. It is only City that really carries that groundswell of emotion.

Users who are viewing this thread