Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I find it staggering he'd name Sakamoto after what I've just watched. Poor bloke must be wondering why he came here.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I know I’m a meme at this point but: Robins bought him as a WB and is likely hoping to improve his defending. That’s probably why the focus and why he’s not getting on.

shmmeee

Can you honestly see him coming good?

Wright? No. Impact sub at best but let’s be honest it’s a waste of half the Vik money. At least we won’t be paying the extra £2m.

Simms? Yes. He’s 22, I’ve seen enough flashes to think there’s a player in there if we c a get him some confidence and a goal off his arse. I don’t think he can play with Godden though and apparently not on his own either.

Which like Sakamoto, and to some extent Ayari, makes you wonder if the issue isn’t the recruitment process or what they were asked to find.

Brighton Sky Blue

I know I’m a meme at this point but: Robins bought him as a WB and is likely hoping to improve his defending. That’s probably why the focus and why he’s not getting on.
That would be a complete waste of his attributes and past experience. He looks like he could be a very decent attacking midfielder.

He won’t make a defender even if we send him to the Land Rover factory

shmmeee

That would be a complete waste of his attributes and past experience. He looks like he could be a very decent attacking midfielder.

He won’t make a defender even if we send him to the Land Rover factory

Quality pun aside, he’s played right midfield or right wing back the majority of his career. I imagine it’s just a bit easier in Belgium.

Matt smith

Wright? No. Impact sub at best but let’s be honest it’s a waste of half the Vik money. At least we won’t be paying the extra £2m.

Simms? Yes. He’s 22, I’ve seen enough flashes to think there’s a player in there if we c a get him some confidence and a goal off his arse. I don’t think he can play with Godden though and apparently not on his own either.

Which like Sakamoto, and to some extent Ayari, makes you wonder if the issue isn’t the recruitment process or what they were asked to find.
I feel exactly the same, I think Simms will be good for us

you do get transfers wrong, shame it was our biggest one

I’ve completely wrote him off

we need a midfielder but as mentioned I wouldn’t trust mr with it

hill83

he's played a handful of games

The Sky Blue Dorks are in full effect today

Happy Homer Simpson GIF

TomRad85

At fault for 2 goals. Don't think Robins should have called him out though to be honest.
Is he a defensive player though? Seems like a square peg, round hole issue to me. His play further up the pitch is half decent, certainly above Palmer atm who was abysmal. Whole team was abysmal so to stand out as extra abysmal is quite impressive.

TomRad85

and like that the biggest one proves my point
Tbf I don't agree with the writing off of any of them but I think Robins desperately needs to rethink how to get the best out of these players as he'll be partially responsible for the fans turning on them.

David O'Day

Is he a defensive player though? Seems like a square peg, round hole issue to me. His play further up the pitch is half decent, certainly above Palmer atm who was abysmal. Whole team was abysmal so to stand out as extra abysmal is quite impressive.

Saka? The 2nd goal showed his basic lack of defensive ability, simple run off his shoulder that he doesn't see

David O'Day

Everyone was dogshit, the first xi, the subs, the fans, the journey

Best to move on and only worry if that level of shite becomes the trend

TomRad85

Saka? The 2nd goal showed his basic lack of defensive ability, simple run off his shoulder that he doesn't see
That's what I'm saying.. is he even a defensive player? He certainly doesn't play like one. I'm not sure it's a him issue.

BlueSkiesForever

When you stop and think about it for a second I actually can’t believe that our record signing for the club has so far turned out to be a steaming pile of shite, how the fuck did that happen?!
I was all for him being our star man but he just sort of smiles and waves all the time (anyone got the Madagascar meme?) rather than playing
football. It’s like he doesn’t want to get into the game, just stands up front and loses out to defenders constantly, and yet he’s strong and 6ft 3, it makes no sense. Apparently he didn’t get a single shot on target last night, lost 10 out his 12 duels and was dispossessed 6 times by defenders, what the actual fuck is going on there? I’m bitterly disappointed with both him and Palmer, I don’t know how we go forward from here tbf.

Brighton Sky Blue

Quality pun aside, he’s played right midfield or right wing back the majority of his career. I imagine it’s just a bit easier in Belgium.
With JDS on the other side though you’ll just get the ball coming in at height. I just see much more promise in him as an attacking player and he’s wasted trying to be converted into a defender.

Martin180

Last night was dreadful and unforgivable but it's gone now . Moving forward lessons need to be learned and big decisions made about certain individuals.
Should Fadz start every game?
Can we go with one holding player centrally?
Have more faith in the new signings further up the pitch ?

Two things that stand out for me in the last two games more than anything is the lack of energy and drive from our attacking players and the lack of leadership on the pitch , despite Kelly and Fadz starting both games .

Chris1987

The most glaring error in my opinion is not giving Ayari a series of starts. He has obvious ability to unlock defences and has to be a serious upgrade on Palmer . He just needs game time . Not getting a Hamer replacement is an error of schoolboy proportions . Unforgivable

David O'Day

The most glaring error in my opinion is not giving Ayari a series of starts. He has obvious ability to unlock defences and has to be a serious upgrade on Palmer . He just needs game time . Not getting a Hamer replacement is an error of schoolboy proportions . Unforgivable
The issue is playing in the same position as Palmer he's been an 8 not a 10 for Brighton and he does have the potential to improve the transition speed of the midfield

CV22SBA

Woke up still fuming after that performance last night. Poor team selection, why are we playing two CDM's against one of the relegation favourites. Fadz seems to have one good game and then one really bad game. Palmer was absolutely dreadful, Kelly & Eccles are scared to make a pass more than 5 yards and as bad as the strikers are they had zero service or creativity in front of them. Milan was clearly injured from the start as he couldn't beat his man and looked to have no pace. Da Silva spent the whole game in 20 yards of space but no one had the balls to make a long pass, I think Fadz did once actually. Awful, awful performance yet it takes MR nearly 70 mins to make a change.

Ayari has to start the next game he is the only player that creates anything. I'd actually leave Godden up top on his own, play one CDM and stick Ayari & Sako behind Godden.

Another 2K of us with about 4 hours sleep before work, not good enough for our loyalty.

SIR ERNIE

Yes, starting Palmer was the first big mistake. He sets such a poor example with his casual, languid style.
Good teams have a strong engine room with players who give 100%
Last year Hamer, OHare, Sheaf, even Allen buzzing around. It becomes infectious.
As an established, experienced player, Palmer gives the wrong message to the new signings.

TewkesburySkyBlue

A few positives.
Decent stadium .I really liked the safe standing area .Pies were excellent. Natives friendly but then I am half Welsh😂. Also I’d be more than surprised if Cardiff finished above us at the end of the season. They are not good . We were just shit last night.

Saddlebrains

I am annoyed we didn't replace Hamer but you aren't suggesting Doug is pocketing the money when we've spent £20m this summer, surely?

I doubt he'll be wanting Robins to spend money in January based on his signings this summer.

Hes let Robins spend the Vik money yes

Whatever way you look at it, we made £12 Million quid from Gus and have done nothing with it

That's literally sat with Doug is it not? Hence he's pocketed it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread