Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (5 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Youll be pleased to know they are all off for 2 days after they put in such a lung busting, top notch performance, really deserve it dont they

Pricks
I would excuse this if they were forced to watch the full match on a 48 hour repeating loop.

Major Tom

Well not really - rough maths suggests we've 'potentially' got more to spend.

Signing Kitching didn't necessarily stop us from signing a Gus replacement. If you think MR/AV etc would've thought that they had to choose between signing Kitching or a Gus replacement, you're a bit of a loon! They'll have known what a gap was going to be left by Gus going - he was a generational player for us. It wouldn't have been lost on them how much a like for like replacement would've been/is needed.
Problem is how do line up a specific replacement for a player who you are chucking money at to stay. What do you say to the other player hang on to the end of the transfer window just incase we come in for you. Question is who exactly were MR/AV lining up or where they hoping current players would stand up to the task with a formation change..

sylus

I think it’s extremely worrying that Robins said in his post-match that we aren’t supposed to be playing as slow as we are, which was then contradicted by what Godden said in his interview. If Robins isn’t instructing us to play like that then why the hell are we and why aren’t the players listening to the manager’s instructions?
you know i am surprised that he was surprised we were playing as slow as we were, especially having Kelly and Eccles in the middle.

Greggs

Time for a positive post to lift the doom nd gloom. I love the way we pass it around the back for a bit, really slowly, waiting for a midfielder to come and help, to no avail, then more passing around the back - then 'WHACK' one of the defenders booms a long looping diagonal ball towards the corners flag, it's just great to watch.

Major Tom

Yeah exactly, I think we have to get out of our heads the idea that because we bought Wright as a striker or Sakamoto as a RWB then they HAVE to play in those positions. They are simply players, they are suitable to any role you put them in provided they have the skills necessary for that role.

So far it looks like Wright just isn’t a good striker, however he may be a good winger, it may be that he needs more time on the ball to think about what he’s doing compared to the time that other players require. Time which you don’t get when you’re a striker but you probably do get when you’re a winger.

It’s all hypothetical but the point is the system isn’t working atm and unless we experiment a bit then it’s not going to work. I think the whole point of “gelling” is to find out what everyone’s best at, if we don’t try new ideas and instead keep swapping Simms for Wright and Wright for Simms every other week then we’re no further forward than where we started.
If we had won a couple of the draws things would look different. Players don't become bad over night, I think the danger is confidence now, with players coming in new country, club etc they need picking up or else it will only get worse. This is where Fadz, Godden and some of the established squad need to bring things together and hold the dressing room. A couple of tweeks and a good result Monday will help. MR will be safe for time being with Doug even saying before the season started we over achieved and this will be a transition from old to new with 2 top plays leaving.

Brighton Sky Blue

Time for a positive post to lift the doom nd gloom. I love the way we pass it around the back for a bit, really slowly, waiting for a midfielder to come and help, to no avail, then more passing around the back - then 'WHACK' one of the defenders booms a long looping diagonal ball towards the corners flag, it's just great to watch.
I think I have some live footage, though they are a bit further advanced than our lads.

southgate.gif

Skyblueweeman

Problem is how do line up a specific replacement for a player who you are chucking money at to stay. What do you say to the other player hang on to the end of the transfer window just incase we come in for you. Question is who exactly were MR/AV lining up or where they hoping current players would stand up to the task with a formation change..
Agree with everything you've said. And I'm not sure what their plan was. But they way some on here are going on, you'd think they didn't have a plan. I'm sure they did/have. It might not be working yet but they'll have thought about the departure of Gus, before he went.

Greggs

Agree with everything you've said. And I'm not sure what their plan was. But they way some on here are going on, you'd think they didn't have a plan. I'm sure they did/have. It might not be working yet but they'll have thought about the departure of Gus, before he went.
but not an injury to Sheaf for 3 months......

BlueSkiesForever

I think Palmer needs to be benched, Ayari needs to start deeper, Sakamoto needs to play higher up and have much less defensive duties, and we need to work out how to get Wright involved more.

As shit as he was last night I refuse to accept that Wright’s height, pace and (some) strength will not help us in any way. He has ability, we’ve seen it in snatches, I just don’t think this slow tempo, 2-striker system is bringing the best out of him. We’re not giving him the chance to get past the last man one-on-one, he’s always well marked and perhaps that’s not his main strength, maybe give him some proper through balls like we used to with Gyokeres and perhaps he’ll come good.

I was pissed off with him last night/this morning but we’ve got to give him another chance in a different system because I just can’t believe that’s all he has to offer. Our formation needs to change first and foremost, if we keep the same team and same formation next week I’ll be bitterly disappointed, but I just cannot believe that we’ve seen the best of Wright yet.

Deity

Youll be pleased to know they are all off for 2 days after they put in such a lung busting, top notch performance, really deserve it dont they

Pricks
I seem to recall you were supportive of them having the first week of the 2 week international break off when others thought it was mad ??

We look like complete strangers on the pitch right now ….

shmmeee

This is why you go out and sign a 18/19 year old with the promise of him competing and “one day son this will all be yours”. You don’t renew your crock captain and hope for the best

Brighton Sky Blue

This is why you go out and sign a 18/19 year old with the promise of him competing and “one day son this will all be yours”. You don’t renew your crock captain and hope for the best
Come to think of it we could have nicked that George Tanner for a nominal fee instead of Cardiff and had him as the 4th striker

Evo1883

It was like he thought the whistle had gone or something. Bizarre.
It's something you'd see at school ? No attempt to close the angle , no attempt to make himself look big .. extremely odd goalkeeping .

Seen a stat saying he's conceded 10 goals from 28 shots on target

shmmeee

It's something you'd see at school ? No attempt to close the angle , no attempt to make himself look big .. extremely odd goalkeeping .

Would love to see those shots too cos a fair amount will be tame efforts.

Give us something positive Evo 😭

Evo1883

Just horrendous goalkeeping to cap off some horrendous defending 😑.

Il be back tomorrow with more good news 😂

fatso

He's been protected due to us playing 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders in front of him, but I've never rated him as a shot stopper, despite all the clean sheets.

And his kicking is shite.

Sick Boy

I’m beginning to think he might not actually be the best keeper in the Championship.

Reactions: SBT

Saddlebrains

I seem to recall you were supportive of them having the first week of the 2 week international break off when others thought it was mad ??

We look like complete strangers on the pitch right now ….

Rewarding them with a couple of days off after that shambles i disagree with

Id have had them in doing laps if the pitch, watching video analysis of their shit performance and laying into them personally

robbiethemole

Everybody in the defence seemed to stop, maybe appealing for a throw in that wasn’t, and Wilson may have tried to fool the player into stopping?. Play to the fucking whistle and try to make the save would be great, but not our lot, midfield that don’t track runners and defenders like statues, is this it for the whole season?

Marty

Another issue is haven't we spunked another load of money on yet another centre half in Brekalo. Is there any money left to sort the midfield?

Users who are viewing this thread