Match Thread Watford (h) (4 Viewers)

fatso

id be amazed if Ayari starts, need Allen back asap as i think he's the best we have at linking MF to ST and chipping in with a few goals in the process... when he is i think the box is more likely, until then, i think its top 2 again (god knows which 2!)
If we need Allen back then it's a desperate situation. I'd suggest it's O'hare we are more likely to be missing.

As for which 2 strikers we should start, I'd just say Wright has only started 1 game so far and already scored and got an assist.

BlueSkiesForever

I don’t think we’ve played especially well the last two games to be honest. Decentish first half against Swansea but they look a poor side who we really should have beaten, and the Sunderland game was very average overall.

Definitely agree, I realise we’re still gelling as a team but which team isn’t at the minute? Nearly every team has had at least 5-10 important new signings this season.

The last two games have been pretty poor in terms of quality tbh, Swansea are a bottom half team in my opinion and they were on the ropes for most of that game, and against Sunderland we failed to create anything of significance at home with a massive crowd.

I really hope Robins makes just a little tweak in the Watford game, even just starting Wright and Simms together or maybe starting with Wright and 2 attacking mids. Nothing ridiculous, keep the same basic structure but try just something slightly different. You take the Boro game out of it (which was just a weird game tbf) and we’ve scored just 2 goals in 3 games…

clint van damme

Definitely agree, I realise we’re still gelling as a team but which team isn’t at the minute? Nearly every team has had at least 5-10 important new signings this season.

The last two games have been pretty poor in terms of quality tbh, Swansea are a bottom half team in my opinion and they were on the ropes for most of that game, and against Sunderland we failed to create anything of significance at home with a massive crowd.

I really hope Robins makes just a little tweak in the Watford game, even just starting Wright and Simms together or maybe starting with Wright and 2 attacking mids. Nothing ridiculous, keep the same basic structure but try just something slightly different. You take the Boro game out of it (which was just a weird game tbf) and we’ve scored just 2 goals in 3 games…

We've played 4 leagues, why would you take the boro game out when assessing our seasons far?

We created plenty against Leicester and Boro and the approach play was decent in the other 2 games but ultimately fell short of what's needed.

It's not quite the crisis people are making out but I agree with you that it needs tweaking. Luckily, we have a few options available which hasn't always been the case.

BlueSkiesForever

We've played 4 leagues, why would you take the boro game out when assessing our seasons far?

We created plenty against Leicester and Boro and the approach play was decent in the other 2 games but ultimately fell short of what's needed.

It's not quite the crisis people are making out but I agree with you that it needs tweaking. Luckily, we have a few options available which hasn't always been the case.

I agree that it’s not a crisis and although it sounds like I’m panicking, I’m not, I’m confident we’ll be okay this season but I just want us to do the absolute best we can. We’ve got such a great fanbase and we’re in a much better position in terms of the ownership and money in the club etc, but I just think we’ve been lacking a bit over the last 2 games in particular.

As for taking the Boro game out, I realise I shouldn’t just take a set of data out to make a point but I do feel that was a strange game, Godden’s goal sort of fell to him (fair enough I suppose) but the last goal was a lucky own goal and Boro really should have put their chances away, on another day that would have been a draw. Cliché term I know but in reality 3-0 didn’t reflect our quality at all I feel.

SkyBlueMatt

I'm going for another draw at the weekend. We're not quite clicking yet but a solid team, so I'm confident we wont lose.

Last season we were notorious late starters, the start, the WC, international breaks, etc. This time round it might actually help, a couple of weeks of training to help them get in sync.

SkyBlueMatt

Because then it fits his narrative better. I think we take out the Swansea and Sunderland games and we've scored 4 in 2.

clint van damme

I agree that it’s not a crisis and although it sounds like I’m panicking, I’m not, I’m confident we’ll be okay this season but I just want us to do the absolute best we can because we’ve got such a great fanbase and we’re in a much better position in terms of the ownership and money in the club etc, but I just think we’ve been lacking a bit over the last 2 games in particular.
As for taking the Boro game out, I realise I shouldn’t just take a set of data out to make a point but I do feel that was a strange game, Godden’s goal sort of fell to him (fair enough I suppose) but the last goal was a lucky own goal and Boro really should have put their chances away, on another day that would have been a draw. Cliché term I know but in reality 3-0 didn’t reflect our quality at all I feel.

If Boro had a striker it would have been a different game, I agree.
But if Godden had had his shooting boots on on the opening day then so would Leicester have been.

BlueSkiesForever

Because then it fits his narrative better. I think we take out the Swansea and Sunderland games and we've scored 4 in 2.
I like your optimism 🤣 But yeah you’re right it does fit the narrative better, but I also do genuinely think we’ve not been that sharp or creative, not bad but not great either. I’m not worrying but I’m also not jumping for joy.

SkyBlueMatt

I like your optimism 🤣 But yeah you’re right it does fit the narrative better, but I also do genuinely think we’ve not been that sharp or creative, not bad but not great either. I’m not worrying but I’m also not jumping for joy.

I know where you're coming from and I feel the same. We are not good, we are not bad. The start of the season is the same merry go round. I know it is a discussion board but everything we talk about right now is completely and utterly meaningless. It's too early, we're 4 games in. Christ, last season we were bottom after 9.

It's like 24 hour news. There isn't enough to talk about so we all chat absolute bollocks.

BlueSkiesForever

I know where you're coming from and I feel the same. We are not good, we are not bad. The start of the season is the same merry go round. I know it is a discussion board but everything we talk about right now is completely and utterly meaningless. It's too early, we're 4 games in. Christ, last season we were bottom after 9.

It's like 24 hour news. There isn't enough to talk about so we all chat absolute bollocks.

Yeah agree there tbf, a lot up in the air in terms of transfers and there’s positives and negatives to take out of every game so everyone has a different point of view. I think if we were pissing the league it’d probably be a lot quieter on here as everyone would just be agreeing with each other rather than squabbling, but I do also enjoy the random chat tbf 😂

Bad Boy

Yeah agree there tbf, a lot up in the air in terms of transfers and there’s positives and negatives to take out of every game so everyone has a different point of view. I think if we were pissing the league it’d probably be a lot quieter on here as everyone would just be agreeing with each other rather than squabbling, but I do also enjoy the random chat tbf 😂
Agreed so long as it doesn't become abusive and personal.

ccfcricoh

If we need Allen back then it's a desperate situation. I'd suggest it's O'hare we are more likely to be missing.

As for which 2 strikers we should start, I'd just say Wright has only started 1 game so far and already scored and got an assist.
Dont think its desperate to be missing Allen at all, last seasons 4th top scorer and a shoe in.

Its goals from MF and DF we've always been missing chipping in to help out the ST, and now Hamer is gone, Allen is the best we have at that... O'Hare hardly renowned for that either tbf

mmttww

Anyone else have a hunch that Wright and Simms will start together this weekend?

Might as well start giving the partnership a chance to build. Fitness should be about there now.

BlueSkiesForever

Anyone else have a hunch that Wright and Simms will start together this weekend?

Might as well start giving the partnership a chance to build. Fitness should be about there now.
I really hope so, yes it’s only 4 games in but it’s worth trying something new considering we’ve only won 1 in 4, I think they could form a good partnership and if you don’t try then you’ll never know.

Gynnsthetonic

Nice to of broken the 20k home supporters barrier, should be our highest attendance season since we went all seater in 81/82

Boicey

No chance. Godden is a cert.
Sakamoto needs some attacking time but I cant see that happening either.
Hopefully scrape a 1:0 but I wouldn't be surprised by another 0:0.

shmmeee

Gonna wheel it out again cos it annoys all the right people.

Wilson
MvE Thomas Latibeaudiere Dasilva
Eccles Sheaf
Sakamoto Palmer Ayari
Simms

BlueSkiesForever

Wilson
Eccles Sheaf
Sakamoto Palmer Ayari
Simms
See now that already looks like a better team, obvs lost Fadz and playing back 4 so it wouldn’t ever happen but having some actual attacking midfielders in the team for once would be a breath of fresh air. We’ve got a fair few skilled attacking mids but we don’t seem to ever want to use them.

shmmeee

See now that already looks like a better team, obvs lost Fadz and playing back 4 so it wouldn’t ever happen but having some actual attacking midfielders in the team for once would be a breath of fresh air. We’ve got a fair few skilled attacking mids but we don’t seem to ever want to use them.

Thing is O’Hare and Hamer and to some extent Vik has allowed us to pack the defence and have fewer up top because of their impact. I love Fadz to bits, but if we have to keep a back three because of him alone then I have to question it. We need to improve the link from midfield to attack. Id worry the box wouldn’t give us enough and I can’t see a way of doing it with three at the back.

BlueSkiesForever

Thing is O’Hare and Hamer and to some extent Vik has allowed us to pack the defence and have fewer up top because of their impact. I love Fadz to bits, but if we have to keep a back three because of him alone then I have to question it. We need to improve the link from midfield to attack. Id worry the box wouldn’t give us enough and I can’t see a way of doing it with three at the back.
I agree, I’d love to see us try 4 at the back, even just once, gives us a chance to see what it’s like and shows to opposition that we’re not a predictable team. For example, I’d be very surprised if the line up is not, Wilson, Fadz, Lati, Thomas, MVE, Dasilva, Eccles, Sheaf, Palmer, Wright and Godden, in fact barring Wright v Simms, I’d be very surprised if anyone else started tbh, that’s how predictable we are atm, which is good in some aspects and bad in others. I think just changing it up once or twice over the next month would keep oppositions guessing what sort of Coventry is going to turn up and how they should set up against us.

pusbccfc

Have they lost all their good players?

Most would struggle to recognise anyone in their squad besides Livermore and Tom Ince.

SIR ERNIE

Considering the investment made on Simms & Wright, its time we started to reduce the dependency on Godden.

Sky Blue Harry H

Have they lost all their good players?
They have a lot of good youngsters - said it after watching the unlucky 0-1 Blackburn loss, but on their day, they're capable of given anyone a tonking. Will be inconsistent, though.

Grendel

Wilson
Eccles Sheaf
Sakamoto Palmer Ayari
Simms

If we want to get a pasting most games it’s a great line up

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Nice to of broken the 20k home supporters barrier, should be our highest attendance season since we went all seater in 81/82
Probably even higher than the best years of Gordon Milne when we averaged 21k and 23k for a couple of years if my memory serves me. Of course back then we were top 10 first division knocking on the door for a European place and literally in a different league. So probably higher attendance average than long before 81/2.

Mucca Mad Boys

We’re not keeping a back 5 because of McFadz…

The box did us fine last season and the squad is overall in a better place. We currently lack the star quality, particularly in midfield.

Users who are viewing this thread