Match Thread Watford (h) (3 Viewers)

Grendel

Do you think every time we attack the role of every outfield player is to run as fast as they can to the same position in the penalty area?

Sheaf and Bidwell did and he was trying to

Calista

Sheaf and Bidwell did and he was trying to
It's a breakaway move almost at the end of the game. Bidwell was fresh having not been on long, and no doubt keen to impress is around the penalty spot (luckily the move didn't break down or I'm sure you would have panned him for naive positioning if they went down the other end and scored). Sheaf, like Palmer, got upfield in a supporting position just outside the box. Haji pulls it back more or less blind. Godden impressively runs from the other end of the field, instinct tells him where the ball will come, he runs between Sheaf and Palmer just as the ball is crossed and superbly hits it home. I haven't got a problem with any of them, and I really don't know why anyone would have.

shmmeee

It's a breakaway move almost at the end of the game. Bidwell was fresh having not been on long, and no doubt keen to impress is around the penalty spot (luckily the move didn't break down or I'm sure you would have panned him for naive positioning if they went down the other end and scored). Sheaf, like Palmer, got upfield in a supporting position just outside the box. Haji pulls it back more or less blind. Godden impressively runs from the other end of the field, instinct tells him where the ball will come, he runs between Sheaf and Palmer just as the ball is crossed and superbly hits it home. I haven't got a problem with any of them, and I really don't know why anyone would have.

Because Grendel and FP find a way to blame Palmer when their bus is late in the morning. Their posts since the weekend are hilarious. The better he plays the more ridiculous they get.

Brighton Sky Blue

Because Grendel and FP find a way to blame Palmer when their bus is late in the morning. Their posts since the weekend are hilarious. The better he plays the more ridiculous they get.
‘It isn’t his effort, it’s his aerobic capacity’ is a new one for me in 33 years on this planet. At least not since some sadistic PE teacher in the mid 2000s.

Hertsccfc

He definitely wouldn't have panned Bidwell, although of course he would Dasilva or Norton-Cuffy in the same position.

Grendel

I don’t think it’s me whose “overcompensating” on here

Grendel

Well these are a sample of posts about how well he is getting according to other poster this week other than me or FP?

The simple facts are a midfield of Eccles, sheaf and palmer is not going to get you into the top 6. Palmer although probably the most technical player probably in the championship isn’t consistent enough or delivers enough. A nearly man. I like him but you won’t win anything with Palmer

My concern with Palmer isn't necessarily that he doesn't work hard enough, I think he works an adequate amount, it's the final product. Here is a player with excellent technical ability who doesn't do what we need him to do. So far this season he has no assists and less progressive passes than Ben Sheaf and only 0.03 more xG than McFadzean

Can’t carry out the demands of the role himself basically. Really like him on the ball but off the ball we wouldn’t be detrimented if we had a cardboard cutout in the position.

Desperately need ohare back

palmer is a talented footballer but sadly not a professional because he cannot do 90mins

Palmer seemed to feel he had to produce a trick in order to break free, but they rarely came off. It would help him if he could find a way of shooting anywhere other than straight at the goalkeeper

I guess Palmer has to be benched for Ayari, Sakamoto because we cant carry on like this

Caused by a shit pass by Palmer. Shock.

CoH is a far superior player to Palmer ffs.

Palmer did his typical flair with zero end product.

He was Kasey 'Almost' Palmer on Saturday. That was almost a great pass. That was almost a great goal. That was almost a good corner. He almost lasted 90 minutes.

Where was his technique when he lashed the rebound 20 yards over the bar from the penalty? And that sort of finish is the norm from Palmer unfortunately

O’Hare made more assists in the league than Palmer last season, despite playing about 20 fewer games.

Ben Wilson has scored more goals than Palmer in the last six months.

bar 1 pass Palmer has also been average at best

fatso

Well these are a sample of posts about how well he is getting according to other poster this week other than me or FP?

The simple facts are a midfield of Eccles, sheaf and palmer is not going to get you into the top 6. Palmer although probably the most technical player probably in the championship isn’t consistent enough or delivers enough. A nearly man. I like him but you won’t win anything with Palmer

My concern with Palmer isn't necessarily that he doesn't work hard enough, I think he works an adequate amount, it's the final product. Here is a player with excellent technical ability who doesn't do what we need him to do. So far this season he has no assists and less progressive passes than Ben Sheaf and only 0.03 more xG than McFadzean

Can’t carry out the demands of the role himself basically. Really like him on the ball but off the ball we wouldn’t be detrimented if we had a cardboard cutout in the position.

palmer is a talented footballer but sadly not a professional because he cannot do 90mins

Palmer seemed to feel he had to produce a trick in order to break free, but they rarely came off. It would help him if he could find a way of shooting anywhere other than straight at the goalkeeper

I guess Palmer has to be benched for Ayari, Sakamoto because we cant carry on like this

He was Kasey 'Almost' Palmer on Saturday. That was almost a great pass. That was almost a great goal. That was almost a good corner. He almost lasted 90 minutes.

Where was his technique when he lashed the rebound 20 yards over the bar from the penalty? And that sort of finish is the norm from Palmer unfortunately

O’Hare made more assists in the league than Palmer last season, despite playing about 20 fewer games.

Just wait till the next game, if Palmer is missing due to international duty, there will be another epic meltdown on here if we get anything other than 3 points.

CCFCSteve

There’s a fair bit of that I agree with, in particular if/when ohare gets back to his best then I can see Robins starting with Palmer on the bench unless we play box which I think suits palmer a lot better.

Palmer is similar to ohare earlier doors with not enough end product/good enough shooting considering ability. I still think/hope it will come though

I don’t agree that bar one pass he’s been average at best though. He’s played some great balls, just a bit unlucky strikers haven’t finished or been on same wave length. Again, that might well come as season progresses

StrettoBoy

I can't wait to get O'Hare back, assuming of course that he comes back as he was. We do need some more goals from him though. A player of his ability ought to be contributing at least 6 goals a year from midfield, which is what Jamie Allen got last season.

shmmeee

Ive seen him blamed more for missing a rebound at knee height than the man who missed the pen, blamed for us conceding a goal where our defenders basically gift wrapped the goal, for not running enough in the 88th minute literally as a sub had been waiting for five minutes to come on and still being on the edge of the area.

It’s getting a little ridiculous. Anything happens, how can we blame Palmer for it? Josh Eccles not progressive enough? Must be cos Palmer is slacking.

fernandopartridge

I pointed out the ground Godden had made up and paralleled it with Palmer, if an attacking midfielder in the last 5 minutes of a game, chasing an equaliser is not breaking his neck to get into the penalty area, what is he doing?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

‘It isn’t his effort, it’s his aerobic capacity’ is a new one for me in 33 years on this planet. At least not since some sadistic PE teacher in the mid 2000s.
It's simple really, he doesn't have the engine to play the role how we need him to play it. That's why we have a huge gap in midfield where the opposition can stroll into our final 3rd.

Did they play football at your school or was it polo?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Ive seen him blamed more for missing a rebound at knee height than the man who missed the pen, blamed for us conceding a goal where our defenders basically gift wrapped the goal, for not running enough in the 88th minute literally as a sub had been waiting for five minutes to come on and still being on the edge of the area.

It’s getting a little ridiculous. Anything happens, how can we blame Palmer for it? Josh Eccles not progressive enough? Must be cos Palmer is slacking.
Personally think the only thing I’d criticise Palmer for is that he disappears at around 65-70 mins.

technically a great player and love that’s he’s in the thick of it for the majority of a game. But he doesn’t seem to be at it for the full 90

shmmeee

Personally think the only thing I’d criticise Palmer for is that he disappears at around 65-70 mins.

technically a great player and love that’s he’s in the thick of it for the majority of a game. But he doesn’t seem to be at it for the full 90

Surely your issue is with Robins then? I agree Robins should replace tiring players sooner. But you can’t blame the players for that.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's simple really, he doesn't have the engine to play the role how we need him to play it. That's why we have a huge gap in midfield where the opposition can stroll into our final 3rd.

Did they play football at your school or was it polo?

We were forced to play rugby most of the way through. Which may explain my current size

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Surely your issue is with Robins then? I agree Robins should replace tiring players sooner. But you can’t blame the players for that.
It’s not blaming him as such. It’s just a criticism that he disappears after 65-70 mins.

I can see why Robins would keep him in though, he’s got that technical ability to perform a killer pass at any point, it’s a gamble more than anything.

When O’Hare comes back I expect he’ll be starting more sparingly.

PVA

It will be interesting to see what happens in the AM role when we have Palmer, O'Hare, Sakamoto and Allen all competing.

Obviously it's going to take a while for O'Hare to get there, and Allen to a lesser extent.

But a nice problem to have.

Certainly beats having Howley and Maguire competing for that spot as we had for a few games last year!

Calista

Talented attacking player divides opinion shock.

I love watching the guy play. Others are welcome to bemoan the fact that he can’t be everywhere at once.

Hertsccfc

I pointed out the ground Godden had made up and paralleled it with Palmer, if an attacking midfielder in the last 5 minutes of a game, chasing an equaliser is not breaking his neck to get into the penalty area, what is he doing?

So you do think that for every attack every player should just run at full pelt to the penalty area?

SkyBlueMatt

During the game, I had to constantly put up with...

"Eccles is sh*t, get him off...", "Da Silva is sh*t, get him off...", "Sheaf is sh*t, get him off" from the group behind me.

I could go on but you get the picture, I think they did it for almost every player. It gets very tiring.

Just because we finished in the playoffs last season, some now expect it and have no patience. TikTok generation.

Offhegoes

Never been convinced with 2 upfront, apart from our League 2 season with McNulty & Biamou. It didn't really work last season with Vik and Godden but we had no other choice with Allen, O'Hare & Palmer all injured, and McGuire being gash.
Surely now with the personnel we have, Robins must be looking at returning to the box. We'll have O'Hare, Palmer, Sakamoto and Ayari for those advanced midfield positions, and Sheaf, Eccles, Kelly & Allen for the deeper roles. I think all our strikers would be more effective in a lone role.

fatso

People getting so hot under the collar about Palmer, is contributing to global warming.

StrettoBoy

It’s not blaming him as such. It’s just a criticism that he disappears after 65-70 mins.

I can see why Robins would keep him in though, he’s got that technical ability to perform a killer pass at any point, it’s a gamble more than anything.

When O’Hare comes back I expect he’ll be starting more sparingly.

I think bringing Palmer off the bench for the last 30 minutes could be a good option.

ccfcricoh

It will be interesting to see what happens in the AM role when we have Palmer, O'Hare, Sakamoto and Allen all competing.

Obviously it's going to take a while for O'Hare to get there, and Allen to a lesser extent.

But a nice problem to have.

Certainly beats having Howley and Maguire competing for that spot as we had for a few games last year!
it appears Sakamoto isnt going to play the #10 role, i think we'd have already seen him there if MR thought it was a decent option. O'Hare we wont see firing on all cylinders until at least end of October. so looks like we're "stuck" with Palmer/Allen in the meantime,
Never been convinced with 2 upfront, apart from our League 2 season with McNulty & Biamou. It didn't really work last season with Vik and Godden but we had no other choice with Allen, O'Hare & Palmer all injured, and McGuire being gash.
Surely now with the personnel we have, Robins must be looking at returning to the box. We'll have O'Hare, Palmer, Sakamoto and Ayari for those advanced midfield positions, and Sheaf, Eccles, Kelly & Allen for the deeper roles. I think all our strikers would be more effective in a lone role.
kind of agree, but we wouldnt have spent over 10m on 2 strikers if this was the plan.

And im not sold on the "top 2 of the box" being from, Palmer/O'Hare/Sakamoto/Ayari, when Palmer is notoriously injury prone, O'Hare wont be around for another 8 weeks at least and may not come back with his biggest strength being work rate, Sakamoto clearly brought in as RWB cover as we havent even seen him in #10 role yet and Ayari who barely makes it through 15mins fitness wise at the minute and appears to have a lot to learn.

Not saying it can't work, but we missed another #10 signing for it to work yet i think

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Talented attacking player divides opinion shock.

I love watching the guy play. Others are welcome to bemoan the fact that he can’t be everywhere at once.
I love watching him play too, but like all our players, they have some limitations. It's not a 'blame' thing, in the same way people want our wing-backs to get forward more, I want my AM to score/assist more.

We are far too open atm and as Grendel says, this is very much against Robins' approach since he's been here. How he changes it will give us a good indicator as to where he thinks the problem lies...

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He was dancing past players around the edge of their box around the 80th minute.
And that’s why I said I see why he’s not taken off. I’m not saying he doesn’t do anything, I’m saying his output seems to drop 70 mins in.

first half he appeared to be central to every attack we had with Wright. He’s worth leaving on because he has the technical ability to do something.

similar for me to Godden who can disappear for an entire game - but, you leave him on because all he needs is one chance and he’ll score

PVA

it appears Sakamoto isnt going to play the #10 role, i think we'd have already seen him there if MR thought it was a decent option
We have! At Swansea. He wasn't brilliant by any means but had a decent enough game.

I think he's definitely an option there.

mmttww

When he’s up against 32 year old Matty Godden and loses by a considerable distance that’s pretty telling isn’t it?

The truth is no one can even have a debate on him it’s like he’s a protected species even though many have the same view as me

You are either a closet racist or you have a suppressed sexual desire for him which manifests itself in hatred.
OK, I'll bite...

RE: Godden - Palmer's fitness needs work. Doesn't void his contribution, or mean that he's a Show Pony.

RE: a debate - you've defeated your own point. Others have the same view? Sounds like a debate to me.

RE: last part - learn to spot jokes, don't look for a Pity Party. You have some daft views (e.g. MR). Accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread