We don't create enough (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

If we’re attempting a possession based game, that doesn’t bode well for a wing back who predominantly likes to use his pace to speed up the flanks, as opposed to a JDS type who is mostly technical.

Hes technical enough too. I think MvE is still settling. JD (it’s a one word surname FFS) has come into a league he knows with players he knows.

Calista

Palmer is a problem for us creativity wise. He is excellent at creating space and finding a yard on his markers with a bit of trickery but his final ball or shot is more often than not poor. If he had been in the same position as Ayari when he played in Wright yesterday, Palmer would have either taken an extra touch and lost possession, overhit a pass or blazed a shot into the stands.
Palmer played a number of brilliant balls yesterday. I can (just about) understand people criticising his stamina etc., but surely not his skill and creativity.

fatso

Palmer played a number of brilliant balls yesterday. I can (just about) understand people criticising his stamina etc., but surely not his skill and creativity.
It will be interesting to see how he fits everyone in once we have O'hare back and Ayari is settled in.

Legia Sky Blue

Maybe my memory is being selective on Palmer given so many seem to have the opposite view. But for it being a 0-0 draw I would look back to check! I can mostly just remember being really frustrated that when he had often shown great skill to get in a dangerous position, that he was then wasteful with pass or shot. I remember one shot way over the bar and another where he sidefooted it at a passback pace into the goalies arms. Then just before he was subbed he wastefully overhit a simple cross into the box which led to a counter attack they could have easily scored from.

Greggs

Brilliant, I'd say more hopeful. He gives the ball away far too much and is always knackered. Wins tackles (recovering from his own mistake) Luxury player.
What are his stats? 40 odd games, 3 goals and a couple of assists?!

Macca1987

I concur with a lot said. When we were attacking it was so slow build up which let Sunderland get all their players back and from the last few seasons we struggle to break down defences like that
I thought Eccles had a great first half but was struggling late on, unsure why MR didn’t replace him
MVE seems unsure of where he should be , I’m sure this will come in time, but we definitely need the Hamer type spark in midfield, sheaf tried a few times to ping angled balls but didn’t quite work
Anyway we are better off at this point than last year and have played some difficult games, onwards and upwards PUSB

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I thought we played well first half, our defence was in the Sunderland half for large spells as we were pinning them in. I think it will click, the young lad that came on was driving us up the pitch and could work well with Palmer or COH on his return.

My main questions are about Wright and Simms. Simms is unfortunately in the Tyler Walker mould with little movement and I don’t think he’s right for us. If he has any pace he hasn’t shown it. The scouting team should have flagged his similarities to Walker who it also didn’t work out for.

Wright doesn’t look like a £8M striker. He’s quick but doesn’t bully like Gyokeres, his first touch lets him down and his finish when through on goal was lame. He looked good when he came on against Leicester but really disappointed so far. Couple of months time and I’m confident he will be substantially better.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Its why I’d go one up until Hamer is replaced TBH
I agree, but then it leaves the issue of who to play up front.

Godden never seems to get involved when up front on his own, Simms doesn't seem to have the movement or spotting the runs, though could probably hold the ball up. Wright could be the one, but I feel he might be inconsistent. You're never really sure what he's going to do.

At the moment, I'd have the box as Eccles - Sheaf - Ayari - Palmer, with Sakamoto replacing Palmer when he inevitably tires.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was disappointed in MVE yesterday from an attacking perspective. Had numerous chances to drive at his man and I don’t think he tried to beat their fullback once, preferring a cross or moving the ball back inside. We were far too slow to get the ball in the box from all areas of the pitch yesterday.
I thought it looked like he was going to a few times but ended up leaving the ball slightly behind and that gave the defender just enough time to close him down.

Users who are viewing this thread