What have ITV got against Coventry City? (1 Viewer)

Skyblue4u

Did anybody notice the pervy cameraman during the abide with me ? Nice bit of side boob but dwelled too long so must have worked for the BBC at some point :whistle:

wingy

Yes I was there...& you are right it COULD have...but it wasn't - there was trouble abroad with many of our clubs too...but always seems to be Liverpool fans where it goes really OTT, but it's never been their fault!

I could rightly and very easily argue Bazza that both tragedies occurred through the authorities choice of Venue ,that decrepit one in Belgium was never fit to stage such a game ,while the Leppings lane end was never adequate to cope with !5000,whoever issued either with Safety certificates are culpable and should have been prosecuted for manslaughter of Innocent people.

SkyblueBazza

I could rightly and very easily argue Bazza that both tragedies occurred through the authorities choice of Venue ,that decrepit one in Belgium was never fit to stage such a game ,while the Leppings lane end was never adequate to cope with !5000,whoever issued either with Safety certificates are culpable and should have been prosecuted for manslaughter of Innocent people.

So was it respectful behaviour & consideration for others, or just pure luck that stadia such Hillsborough & it's Leppings Lane End had been filled to the brim by fans from many clubs for many a year before that with much less incident? Or pure bad luck - or the fault of the safety executive...or the police?
I guess it's a gradual shift in societal attitude & behaviour really...but often Liverpool's fans that bring it to it's climax. BUT the "rightly & easily argue" bit is somewhat supercilious don't you think?

Delboycov

THAT is one of the main reasons why I revel in Liverpool's demise & hope they never reach dizzy heights again! It's never their fault though. Even the poor innocents that died at Hillsborough...I wonder if any of those that went to the pub & arrived late, then chose to push & shove their way in with total disregard (no intent...just disregard) for anyone else, has actually stopped to think about their actions? And I know that some copper(s) made bad decisions on the day at that time (& others some VERY bad ones afterwards)...but surely if you leave the windows open - you have to look at yourself if all your stuff gets pinched?

Absolutely shocking post. 96 innocent people lost their lives, including quite a lot of kids and you're implying that they brought it on themselves. The evidence that has taken years to come out because of a massive cover up which included Thatcher and her government, 2 police forces, Ambulance service and others has proven that Liverpool fans were not culpable for what happened and what those families have been through shames our country.

Last edited:

Macca

Absolutely shocking post. 96 innocent people lost their lives, including quite a lot of kids and you're implying that they brought it on themselves. The evidence that has taken years to come out because of a massive cover up which included Thatcher and her government, 2 police forces, Ambulance service and others has proven that Liverpool fans were not culpable for what happened and what those families have been through shames our country.

Indeed a massive cover up but in terms of the impeccable behaviour of Liverpool fans on the day and them being not a factor at all....maybe worth speaking to forest fans who were there

Spencer

Indeed a massive cover up but in terms of the impeccable behaviour of Liverpool fans on the day and them being not a factor at all....maybe worth speaking to forest fans who were there

Delboy was correct - absolutely shocking post. Also a pretty repugnant post.

It just shows the influence the mass media (I.e. The Sun) has that it has been shown to be a pack of lies, with the culpability for the disaster lying at the door of the authorities, but some people still believe it was all the Liverpool fans fault!!

SkyblueBazza

Shocking response more like.

No, I am not suggesting that at all. Read it again.

SkyblueBazza

It just shows the influence the mass media (I.e. The Sun) has that it has been shown to be a pack of lies, with the culpability for the disaster lying at the door of the authorities, but some people still believe it was all the Liverpool fans fault!!

Think about the deaths in that nightclub fire in the the not too distant past - people desperate to get out of the burning building at the back, only one exit route, crushing people in their path. Hillsborough was similar in reverse - loads of people trying (less) desperately to get in, through a relatively narrow channel. The ones that started the shoving to get in first - likely the same ones determined to be in the pub until the last minute but simply waltz into the stadium - they are the ones I am talking about. They started the sequence that led to some copper making a nightmarish decision (that'll never leave him) & the lies subsequently (self protection becoming political agenda possibly).
Just as none of them actually set out with the idea of killing 96 innocent people...I find it hard to apportion all the blame onto the police who equally did not set out with that intent.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
THAT is one of the main reasons why I revel in Liverpool's demise & hope they never reach dizzy heights again! It's never their fault though. Even the poor innocents that died at Hillsborough...I wonder if any of those that went to the pub & arrived late, then chose to push & shove their way in with total disregard (no intent...just disregard) for anyone else, has actually stopped to think about their actions? And I know that some copper(s) made bad decisions on the day at that time (& others some VERY bad ones afterwards)...but surely if you leave the windows open - you have to look at yourself if all your stuff gets pinched?

Can't believe this post. You should be ashamed of yourself!

mattylad

they had waddle, hoddle, hodge, ardilles, allen, mabbut and could call on the likes of nico clausen from the bench! it might not have been a giant killing but it was certainly a major upset

gaziola

I don't think 87 was really considered that much of an upset by the media. Our 87 squad was one of the best teams in the football league that year plus 10th in the first division. Yes we had a much tighter budget than spurs etc. But we'd also beaten man u on the way to wembley. Coventry city have a stronger history and are a bigger club than people think. Just cos our current owners are a total embarressment.

Delboycov

Shocking response more like.

No, I am not suggesting that at all. Read it again.

Read it again and I think it's still a shocking post. You seem to have more compassion and sympathy for the Chief Inspector of the West Yorkshire Police than the victims and their families"He'll have to live with it forever"
A man who along with his colleagues was only interested in covering his sorry back and having the finger of blame put on to the innocent...Long covered up evidence has subsequently proved they were not responsible so get over it.

NorthernWisdom

I don't think 87 was really considered that much of an upset by the media.

Really?

I remember it as a shock.

As said Spurs had been championship challengers and a European force, and had won every final they'd played at Wembley. We were midtable and used to narrowly avoiding relegation, and never got close to a trophy.

Just because Wimbledon was the bigger shock doesn't mean ours wasn't.

fernandopartridge

Well done Wigan today. Well deserved win! But ITV should be sued for never once mentioning COVENTRY CITY in their constant references to cup final upsets. Bloody 'Crazy Gang' of 88 were mentioned about a hundred times! One mention of Keith Houchen in the last few minutes of their coverage - not good enough!
They name checked Keith Houchen when talking about Ben Watson.

SkyblueBazza

Read it again and I think it's still a shocking post. You seem to have more compassion and sympathy for the Chief Inspector of the West Yorkshire Police than the victims and their families"He'll have to live with it forever"
A man who along with his colleagues was only interested in covering his sorry back and having the finger of blame put on to the innocent...Long covered up evidence has subsequently proved they were not responsible so get over it.

That's where we differ then - you are posting emotionally, I am doing it objectively. Nobody involved actually got out of bed thinking "I'm going to go kill some football fans today".
In terms of compassion I have probably as much compassion for the victims, their relatives, witnesses, those trying desperately to help the victims (a couple of friends of mine included) as I imagine you have. It's just that I also have some (& therefore possibly more compassion than you in total!) for the poor sod(s) forced into making the disastrous decisions they did! The cover-up afterwards was, & continues to be, despicable...but I also think it was in part an instinctive self-defence mechanism that spiralled - but very wrong.

CCFC PimpRail

My old boss was a Forest fan and was at the game. He maintained that although the cover up over mistakes made by the authorities and the comments made my a certain Red top rag were disgraceful, there's no smoke without fire and the usual antics of football fans and especially Liverpool ones "back in the day" are worthy of comment instead of assuming those at the back were as innocent as those at the front.

Back to the topic, did anyone else think that Man City (like England in 2010) were playing to loose, to force a change in manager...? Where have we seen that before....

SkyblueBazza

I do hope you don't think Of me as a Sun reader!? I usually take objective views on things where emotions & passions are involved. IF everyone turned up in good time that day, their actions might well have led to an enjoyable day between two good football teams & this debate would not be happening. SOME of the Liverpool fans played a part of those terrible outcomes. They didn't intend it...& to a point are therefore victims themselves.
The cover-up was despicable & I suspect has only now been acknowledged for political reasons (i.e. those involved at government level are retired or hidden from reflecting on today's power-brokers).
What started this is debate is my statement that'll though Liverpool fans were involved in some of the worst tragedies related to English football - I do not recall any Liverpool fans taking any responsibility for any of them (I'm sure there must be some out there though - just fear prevents them stating it perhaps?). All we hear about is the "not our fault" type responses.

SkyblueBazza

My old boss was a Forest fan and was at the game. He maintained that although the cover up over mistakes made by the authorities and the comments made my a certain Red top rag were disgraceful, there's no smoke without fire and the usual antics of football fans and especially Liverpool ones "back in the day" are worthy of comment instead of assuming those at the back were as innocent as those at the front.

Back to the topic, did anyone else think that Man City (like England in 2010) were playing to loose, to force a change in manager...? Where have we seen that before....

I think that's a good simple & clear way of putting it on the Hillsborough topic.

Doubt there are many players out there that would give up their FA Cup medal with crossed finger in the hope of forcing a manager out...especially being so close to it.

Delboycov

That's where we differ then - you are posting emotionally, I am doing it objectively. Nobody involved actually got out of bed thinking "I'm going to go kill some football fans today".
In terms of compassion I have probably as much compassion for the victims, their relatives, witnesses, those trying desperately to help the victims (a couple of friends of mine included) as I imagine you have. It's just that I also have some (& therefore possibly more compassion than you in total!) for the poor sod(s) forced into making the disastrous decisions they did! The cover-up afterwards was, & continues to be, despicable...but I also think it was in part an instinctive self-defence mechanism that spiralled - but very wrong.

Putting it like that I can see where you're coming from Bazza. I just think it was a tradgedy waiting to happen and I recall saying to my mate at the QF that someone could get killed that day with the sardine like crush...there were city fans having had a lot to drink that day and those that may have been pushing...if the disaster had happened 2 years earlier and thank God it didn't, how would you feel about people saying we'd brought it on ourselves in effect?

SkyblueBazza

Putting it like that I can see where you're coming from Bazza. I just think it was a tradgedy waiting to happen and I recall saying to my mate at the QF that someone could get killed that day with the sardine like crush...there were city fans having had a lot to drink that day and those that may have been pushing...if the disaster had happened 2 years earlier and thank God it didn't, how would you feel about people saying we'd brought it on ourselves in effect?

I'd feel as terrible as I do with it actually being Liverpool...& still look at it as objectively as I possibly could. I was in the Kop that day with my g/fr & sister & her b/fr. We stood away from what was obviously a crush in the middle. Thankfully there was no incident (at least that I recall hearing of).

Delboycov

I'd feel as terrible as I do with it actually being Liverpool...& still look at it as objectively as I possibly could. I was in the Kop that day with my g/fr & sister & her b/fr. We stood away from what was obviously a crush in the middle. Thankfully there was no incident (at least that I recall hearing of).

Fair point Bazza...

Nonleagueherewecome

finished 7th that season spurs were 3rd not a major upset !

We were 10th that season and it was a major upset, although not as much as Wimbledon and Wigan's wins were. And no, we were not man-for-man as good as Spurs: they had a side packed with big-money internationals, we had a side of lower league gems mostly spotted by Bobby Gould and home-produced talent. The spectacle of Hoddle being utterly shackled by Lloyd McGrath summing things up nicely :D

Nonleagueherewecome

I don't think 87 was really considered that much of an upset by the media. Our 87 squad was one of the best teams in the football league that year plus 10th in the first division. Yes we had a much tighter budget than spurs etc. But we'd also beaten man u on the way to wembley. Coventry city have a stronger history and are a bigger club than people think. Just cos our current owners are a total embarressment.

Tell Greavsie it wasn't an upset..and Man U were mid-table nothing. Behind us, even! http://s201259309.websitehome.co.uk/borostatnew/data_pasttables100_198687.htm

deanocity3

We were 10th that season and it was a major upset, although not as much as Wimbledon and Wigan's wins were. And no, we were not man-for-man as good as Spurs: they had a side packed with big-money internationals, we had a side of lower league gems mostly spotted by Bobby Gould and home-produced talent. The spectacle of Hoddle being utterly shackled by Lloyd McGrath summing things up nicely :D
Mitchell Thomas was the only spurs player not to have a international cap.
while we had Pickering,Phillips and Regis as our capped players.

ThisManHere

Absolute bollocks.

If anyone says Liverpool fans (some of them at least) shouldn't shoulder some of the blame then they're deluded. It's FACT that they were on the rob left right and centre that day and it's FACT that thousands went in without tickets...

Let's not forget Athens in 2006/7...Liverpool fans causing trouble and rushing the turnstiles, unsurprisingly....ticketless.

georgehudson

i believe it all started with a certain Mr Newbon, who was reviled by many as being totally anti-ccfc,
& i know of someone who worked with him who confirmed this

skybluelee

We were 3/1 to beat Spurs. Outsiders but nothing like the underdogs Wimbledon and Wigan were. Wigan were 17/2 yesterday, for instance. Suspect Wimbledon would have been more than that.

Grendel

Wimbledon finished 6th. The notion this was Gould team is myth and folklore. If 2 injured players had been fit only 4 of his signings would probably featured.

The reality is Sillett did a fantastic job. The team were focused and up for the job. He was the driving force. I know that there is one idiot on here who claims Curtis was the manager. I suggest he converses with cyrille Regis to get his facts right.

The team was on the up and fully focused. Sillett was treated shabbily in the end. His jolly persona disguised a real football brain. This is why when idiots suggested thorn and Coleman were "good" managers I get irked.

Users who are viewing this thread