/what us fans need to know What if...... (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

....Sepalla pulls the plug and winds the business that is Coventry City Football Club up. Is that the end, oblivion, or can a third party pick the pieces up and continue the business even maybe with a different name and could the business carry on in it's current position in division 3 or end up down the leagues somewhere as Wimbledon did. The question is therefore can an owner just shut down, bolt the door and ride into the night.? What is the law on that ?

Hobo

Yes.

But nothing can stop a new club forming to continue the tradition in the eye and hearts of the fans....even if it is leagues lower. We decide who represents Coventry City FC not Sepalla.

Spionkop

Rupert, it's clear a lot of fans would take starting again in a lower league just to be free of this madness. It's not great. Hope it doesn't come to that. But a lot have had enough. We just want CCFC playing at the Ricoh. And free of Sisu.

Nick

Administrator
Rupert, it's clear a lot of fans would take starting again in a lower league just to be free of this madness. It's not great. Hope it doesn't come to that. But a lot have had enough. We just want CCFC playing at the Ricoh. And free of Sisu.
How would say a non league team play at the ricoh?

kg82

I have no doubt that sooner or later this is how it will go. We will be wound up and the club will start again in the regional conference league, or something like that. Before then I'll be defecating in to some envelopes and sending it to some very deserving people

Of course they could so long as ACL were prepared to do a reasonable deal. Cov City Ladies have been able to play there with crowds below 500, I am sure that we would get significantly more even starting from scratch.

rupert_bear

Second question. Is it a gimmee the FL will dump a club out of the League to start down in the basement somewhere or is it within their rules they can decide to allow a an old club with a new name to remain in the leagues a number of clubs over the years have altered their names Leyton Orient for example have been Leyton Orient, Orient and I think even The Orient and returned to Leyton Orient recently.

Rangers went bust and dropped to the bottom of the leagues in scotland, they still play at their ground. Coventry can come back to the RICOH after they have gone bust and with the support they have, plus good management they would rise up the leagues quick.

stupot07

If the worst happened and we were liquidated and from that a new team from Coventry arose and played at the Ricoh, would you go and support them?

I honestly don't know how I will feel if that eventuality ever happens.

I do know that i wouldn't support a breakaway club (e.g Cov United), even if it ended up superseding the club following it's liquidation. For me the Phoenix can only happen if and when the club is liquidated or permanent moves/rebrands from the Coventry area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Steve.B50

The same as a Div 3 team Nick

They only have to open up one stand.

Look at it another way, how would the League react to a new team with say 500, fans playing in a league the same level as say Coventry United, they know these other clubs could not accommodate such crowds.
As I understand it you have to register an interest in the February, then confirm with business plan, sponsors and ground details by the May to play the following season.

Spionkop

We don't want this to happen obviously, but it could. No doubt there will be some like Nick and Stupot who wouldn't support it. But there will certainly be a few thousand who will be only too happy to support a reborn CCFC at the Ricoh. Free of debt, free of Sisu. Even a couple of thousand initially would make us a very big team in, say, the division below the Conference North. Three promotions and we're back where we are now. Having gathered a lot more fans along the way. With people having fun watching their team.
I think they'll be 5,000 initially, whatever division we were placed in. People just want their team back.
Let's hope it doesn't come to this. But it may happen.

stupot07

I think you're over estimating there by at least 2-2.5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

The Gentleman

I think you're over estimating there by at least 2-2.5k.

No way on knowing either way and no stat in the world can tell you otherwise from our situation.

One thing is true and that is there are an awful lot of thoroughly pissed off CCFC fans who are desperate to watch their team play in it's home city again and the longer this shitfest goes on the more fans will think about alternatives. Watching a new team when their old one has died may well be what fans do. I know I would.

justvisiting

When Halifax went out of existence I believe they had to apply to the lower leagues until they found a league that would accomodate them. In practice you usually have to go low enough until you find a league in which teams regularly disappear for whatever reasons. They're usually adept at incorporating new members and they often have spaces. With Coventry, I'd guess the level below Conference North (plus or minus a level). That'd mean back to the Football League within 4 years.

Halifax have been my second team for decades so I've seen them a few times along the way. It was gutting at the time to see the club disappear but they rebuilt and they're back to being close to their natural level. It's been not unentertaining playing the likes of Leigh Genesis and Frickley Athletic along the way and winning more than you lose is a nice feeling. Halifax kept their stadium as it's owned by the council and also used by the Rugby League side and they kept their fans. There's also no sense that the FC Halifax Town of today isn't the Halifax Town AFC of the previous 80 years, the fans are the club and the fans are the same.

rupert_bear

Am I right in saying Leicester City are officially Leicester City Fosse or something like that, I seem to remember when they went into administration some years ago they reammerged with Fosse attached

joemercersaces

Two scenarios

1. Somehow CCFC in its current guise returns to The Ricoh. First game back would be a massive event, a crowd of at least 15,000 and probably a lot more.

2. CCFC is killed by SISU and a Phoenix club plays it's first game at the Ricoh as a new Coventry club representing the city in the city. Doesn't matter what league I know me and my lad would be there as would at least 5000 others. That club would have resources completely outrunning any other team in the division. What player wouldn't want to join that bandwagon, huge support, fantastic stadium, almost unlimited ambition. As with FC United and Wimbledon promotion would be virtually guaranteed. Would also be a lot of fun.

The Gentleman

When Halifax went out of existence I believe they had to apply to the lower leagues until they found a league that would accomodate them. In practice you usually have to go low enough until you find a league in which teams regularly disappear for whatever reasons. They're usually adept at incorporating new members and they often have spaces. With Coventry, I'd guess the level below Conference North (plus or minus a level). That'd mean back to the Football League within 4 years.

Halifax have been my second team for decades so I've seen them a few times along the way. It was gutting at the time to see the club disappear but they rebuilt and they're back to being close to their natural level. It's been not unentertaining playing the likes of Leigh Genesis and Frickley Athletic along the way and winning more than you lose is a nice feeling. Halifax kept their stadium as it's owned by the council and also used by the Rugby League side and they kept their fans. There's also no sense that the FC Halifax Town of today isn't the Halifax Town AFC of the previous 80 years, the fans are the club and the fans are the same.

Good post and nice to see things are on the up for you.

hill83

If the worst happened and we were liquidated and from that a new team from Coventry arose and played at the Ricoh, would you go and support them?

Only if the new club came from the old club completely ceasing to exist. If it was started by a couple of militants before CCFC was all done and dusted then they would be my sworn enemy.

fernandopartridge

Two scenarios

1. Somehow CCFC in its current guise returns to The Ricoh. First game back would be a massive event, a crowd of at least 15,000 and probably a lot more.

2. CCFC is killed by SISU and a Phoenix club plays it's first game at the Ricoh as a new Coventry club representing the city in the city. Doesn't matter what league I know me and my lad would be there as would at least 5000 others. That club would have resources completely outrunning any other team in the division. What player wouldn't want to join that bandwagon, huge support, fantastic stadium, almost unlimited ambition. As with FC United and Wimbledon promotion would be virtually guaranteed. Would also be a lot of fun.
Resources from where?

hill83

Resources from where?

Imagination land.

tumblr_lels0kiqKC1qf0pa0.gif

mark82

If it was following the liquidation of the club it would be a 2 division drop. Even if it was further the fan base should be big enough to sustain it while it comes back through the league's on the right deal (they keep telling us how they can do it rent free). It's not a barrier really Nick. I would genuinely sooner this happened even if it was just so we could all stand together again. What we have at the moment is a complete and utter mess that divides fans.

Dropping 2 divisions at this point seems a quicker way back than the current path we are on.

mark82

Two scenarios

The same FC United who can't get out of the Northern Premier league? 3 failed attempts now.

Hobo

Only if the new club came from the old club completely ceasing to exist. If it was started by a couple of militants before CCFC was all done and dusted then they would be my sworn enemy.

My thoughts exactly Hill83. Talk of starting a Phoenix club up to now has been premature. It would have to be from the ashes of a totally defunct CCFC to have any legitimacy or credibility.

stupot07

If it was following the liquidation of the club it would be a 2 division drop. Even if it was further the fan base should be big enough to sustain it while it comes back through the league's on the right deal (they keep telling us how they can do it rent free). It's not a barrier really Nick. I would genuinely sooner this happened even if it was just so we could all stand together again. What we have at the moment is a complete and utter mess that divides fans.

Dropping 2 divisions at this point seems a quicker way back than the current path we are on.

I doubt they would put us straight into the Conference Premier.

RedSalmon

Two scenarios

Agree entirely. Think an awful lot of fans would return as a way of sticking two fingers up at SISU.

Hope things get sorted and we return to the Ricoh, just don't ever see it happening to be honest. For what its worth I think things will drag on like this for another twelve months or so before the club is liquidated and put out of business.
When that happens a new 'Pheonix' club representing the people of Coventry will be like a breath of fresh air compared with what we have had to put up with over the last few years. To me it will still be the football club who represent my city, and as a consequence get my full support. The fact that in such a situation the old CCFC would be dead and burried would be upsetting, but would not stop me getting behind a new 'Pheonix' club.

Users who are viewing this thread