What was your first ever City game? (1 Viewer)

deanocity3

Mine was about 1961/62. I know the pitch had not been levelled. Was only a whipper snapper. Sat the old main stand with my Granddad, kept raving about Willie Humphries, pretty sure it was against QPR but not 100%, think we won 5-4 or something like that.... addicted ever since...

halifax home won 5-4 6/4/63 the hud with 3 bruck whitehouse.
city 4-0 up at half time,halifax score 3 in 6 mins
but we did beat qpr 4-1 the month before

Skyblueweeman

Think mine was 1988 or 1989. A boring 0-0 at home to Millwall. I had not long moved over from N.Ireland and was so excited about going to see my first football match. I remember the elders talking about getting a programme and I thought it was something on a VHS at the time!!

Hooked since (although weening in recent years...)

WM

Brighton Sky Blue

Think mine was 1988 or 1989. A boring 0-0 at home to Millwall. I had not long moved over from N.Ireland and was so excited about going to see my first football match. I remember the elders talking about getting a programme and I thought it was something on a VHS at the time!!

Hooked since (although weening in recent years...)

WM

It's that childlike enthusiasm which I don't think leaves people, not even City fans ;) Mrs BSB and I went to watch her team (Aberdeen) in Dundee last month so we sat with the away fans. Not far away from us there was a little boy decked in Aberdeen hat, scarf, gloves, little replica kit etc and so on. When Dundee scored the winner with literally the last kick of the game he was inconsolable and his dad said 'That's life, son!'.

It was so City-esque I couldn't help but smile.

deanocity3

It's that childlike enthusiasm which I don't think leaves people, not even City fans ;) Mrs BSB and I went to watch her team (Aberdeen) in Dundee last month so we sat with the away fans. Not far away from us there was a little boy decked in Aberdeen hat, scarf, gloves, little replica kit etc and so on. When Dundee scored the winner with literally the last kick of the game he was inconsolable and his dad said 'That's life, son!'.

A even have film of City's pre-season v aberdeen about 1996 ish 5-1 i think Ndlovu hatrick

deanocity3

Put it up :) Do you have any clips from the Anglo-Scottish cup tie with St Mirren? Believe it was the last ever game.

No I don't have any clips of that match.Now there's a story.Played between the two cup winners of 1987,was supposed to be played over two legs ,yet they only played one which was at HR due to the weather in scotland and fitting the match between fixtures the second leg was never played.
http://www.stmirren.info/id19.html

Skyblueweeman

Nice anecdote from North of the border BSB. Yeah, it was a bit like that to be fair. I loved going to this 'massive building' which was HR. Due to geography I've never been a regular but I suspect that's why each time I went, it was just as special. I personally get excited about going to the Ricoh. The majority will call me made but I go that rarely, it does still excite me a little....the whole 'match day experience' and all that.

I've even took a few mates to CCFC games with me in the past few years and some of them have even ventured more than once. Liverpool, Everton, Portsmouth and Brighton fans...they all say how great our away following is. Took a mate to Pompey v Cov a couple of months back (think we lost 3-1). I was even excited about going to that even though I know how much of a dump Fratton Park is.

That said, 33 this year and the enthusiasm is draining. Thinking back to that day in 1988 and my first game though has brought a little smile back (along with your Aberdeen tale) :)

WM

Brighton Sky Blue

Must say even though Hibs have been my team up here for years to see how gutted this little fella was had me thinking of a change of allegiance. Passionate fans with a rich history courtesy of Fergie-but my God the current crop was awful that day.

Neither team started warming up until 2.40 either!

SkyBlueSwiss

I know now It was Rotherham early 60's, Rotherham had there keeper injured and their forward John Galley later of Bristol City went in goal.A fan ran on the pitch a hit him.
John is a taxi driver somewhere,his son Chris was part of the 1987 youth team squad that won the FA youth cup.but did not play in the final

Fabulous Deano!
I seem to remember the oppos in red and white strip, thought we won 4-1, and as I said the thing I remember most was a fan jumping over the wall and slapping their goalie.
Fantastic to have it confirmed. Do you know the exact date?

SkyBlueSwiss

boxing day 1966
we played them again the following day and drew 1-1

Afraid we are not talking the same game here Deano. From 1963 onwards I was in an orphanage so could not have been this game. We moved from Coventry two to three years before that, so it must have been latest 1960.
I was born in 1951, and my memory is that I was less than 10 years old, so 1966 is not possible.
There must be another game where a cov fan slapped the oppo goalie sometime in the late 1950's, latest 1961.

The Penguin

That's a lovely story :) As it goes one of my uncles (18 years older than my dad) was also nearly signed as an apprentice in the '60s but was rejected on account of being one-footed. A shame as had he tried out under Coleman who couldn't get enough of left footers he'd have been a shoe-in ;)

I find that quite interesting, as the idea of clubs in the 60s turning down players for being one-sided is quite amusing to me. I had thought the notion of being able to use both sides well was a more recent development.

As for it being a lovely story, you'll forgive me if I don't see the loveliness in it at the moment. Actually saw the old man the other day and cursed him for not being born in another part of England :whistle: :D

Brighton Sky Blue

I find that quite interesting, as the idea of clubs in the 60s turning down players for being one-sided is quite amusing to me. I had thought the notion of being able to use both sides well was a more recent development.

As for it being a lovely story, you'll forgive me if I don't see the loveliness in it at the moment. Actually saw the old man the other day and cursed him for not being born in another part of England :whistle: :D

I don't know what manager it was who made that decision but I assume either Hill or Cantwell, both forward thinking managers for their time. Oh to have been born anywhere else...I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Users who are viewing this thread