What was your first ever City game? (1 Viewer)

deanocity3

Birmingham at home, apparently on 8/5/82. We lost 1-0, Mick Harford scored right in front of us in the last minute I think, don't recall much else of the game. I remember some fighting as we were walking up to HR though, was pretty scary for a 10 year old.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-city-v-birmingham-city-15-may-1982-86236/
Only one cov player that day was a buy(gerry francis)all the others came via youth system

Last edited:

jaymo132

I also remember the game against Stoke in that 67-68 season when George Curtis made his comeback after breaking his leg the previous August.Noel Cantwell played him up front for the last 20 odd minutes and he was like a mad bull :eek: not a care for the leg he broke..

SkyBlue_DownUnder

Cov v Spurs (1968) ... 6 yrs old on my old mans shoulders, Jimmy greaves fizzed one past my ear ... thats all I remember from the game. Good times.

ajsccfc

I always like to think that if a shot ever came near me (A Jutkiewicz last-minute penalty vs Reading two seasons ago came close) I'd coolly head it perfectly back into play. In reality I'd get it all wrong and break my nose.

The Penguin

Leicester at home, November 1999.

I had landed at Gatwick thirteen hours earlier.

We lost 1-0 and I didn't care. Being raised in Australia, I had never experienced such atmosphere at club sport.

Saw four other matches on that trip, including the 3-2 win over Arsenal on Boxing Day.

rupert_bear

I also remember the game against Stoke in that 67-68 season when George Curtis made his comeback after breaking his leg the previous August.Noel Cantwell played him up front for the last 20 odd minutes and he was like a mad bull :eek: not a care for the leg he broke..
I was at that game 3-3, Easter Tuesday i think. It epitimised just what George Curtis was about. He had a seriously broken leg in the August but was back fighting fit in 7 months, which coincided in us clawing our way from the relegation spots to safety.

dongonzalos

Coventry 1- 1 Man Utd and the realisation as a kid that Bryan Robson was just human after all

( bit more relevant here )

Brighton Sky Blue

Leicester at home, November 1999.

I had landed at Gatwick thirteen hours earlier.

We lost 1-0 and I didn't care. Being raised in Australia, I had never experienced such atmosphere at club sport.

Saw four other matches on that trip, including the 3-2 win over Arsenal on Boxing Day.

What was your connection to the club in the first place?

The Penguin

What was your connection to the club in the first place?

Dad's a born and bred Coventrian. Used to go every chance he had until he left in 1967. Spent most of my formative years listening to tales of Ronnie Rees, George Hudson, Ernie Machin, George Curtis....or of how you could go and watch the reserves for free at half time. Dad also apparently (his brothers all separately confirmed this) was close to signing apprentice terms with the club, until my grandad stepped in and told him that "getting an education was more important".

His older brother also used to tell anyone who'd listen how Reg Matthews was the greatest goalkeeper England produced, but he loved his vices too much.

Given that brainwashing, and the fact that the first full game of football I was forced to watch was the 1987 FA Cup final, I had no choice but to be Sky Blue.

Derby County at home - April 7th 1980 Won 2-1 (Wallace and Hunt)

My eldest brother took me and my younger brother to the game as my 11th birthday treat. We were in the West Stand, and I'll never forget how excited I was,
sat on the edge of my seat shaking with nervous energy ! The other main memory is of how square the pitch looked, having only ever watched football on the tele
before, watching from high up behind the goal gave a whole wierd new perspective to the game. I also remember it was "Ladies Day". For some bizarre reason
all the women at the game were given a daffodil on entry !

City Team:

Jim Blyth
Mick Coop
Gary Gillespie
Paul Dyson
Bobby McDonald
Tommy Hutchison
Andy Blair
Garry Thompson
Ian Wallace
Tommy English
Steve Hunt

Brighton Sky Blue

Dad's a born and bred Coventrian. Used to go every chance he had until he left in 1967. Spent most of my formative years listening to tales of Ronnie Rees, George Hudson, Ernie Machin, George Curtis....or of how you could go and watch the reserves for free at half time. Dad also apparently (his brothers all separately confirmed this) was close to signing apprentice terms with the club, until my grandad stepped in and told him that "getting an education was more important".

His older brother also used to tell anyone who'd listen how Reg Matthews was the greatest goalkeeper England produced, but he loved his vices too much.

Given that brainwashing, and the fact that the first full game of football I was forced to watch was the 1987 FA Cup final, I had no choice but to be Sky Blue.

That's a lovely story :) As it goes one of my uncles (18 years older than my dad) was also nearly signed as an apprentice in the '60s but was rejected on account of being one-footed. A shame as had he tried out under Coleman who couldn't get enough of left footers he'd have been a shoe-in ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

Derby County at home - April 7th 1980 Won 2-1 (Wallace and Hunt)

My eldest brother took me and my younger brother to the game as my 11th birthday treat. We were in the West Stand, and I'll never forget how excited I was,
sat on the edge of my seat shaking with nervous energy ! The other main memory is of how square the pitch looked, having only ever watched football on the tele
before, watching from high up behind the goal gave a whole wierd new perspective to the game. I also remember it was "Ladies Day". For some bizarre reason
all the women at the game were given a daffodil on entry !

City Team:

Jim Blyth
Mick Coop
Gary Gillespie
Paul Dyson
Bobby McDonald
Tommy Hutchison
Andy Blair
Garry Thompson
Ian Wallace
Tommy English
Steve Hunt

Suspect it would've been part of the drive to create a friendlier atmosphere at matches on the assumption that men were less likely to act like hooligans if their wives were there. Same reasoning behind family stands I think.

Greggs

1989/1990 Wed 24 Jan Coventry City 5 - 0 Sunderland League Cup
I was 7 and had a top Dad, still have!

SkyBlueSwiss

Can't remember.
I was only about 6 or 7 years old (so would have been in 1957-58, but I could be misremembering and it could be later). Seem to remember we won 4-1, but might be wrong.

One thing I do remember very well about that game:
We were behind the goal where the opposition keeper was, and a cov fan climbed over the low white wall and gave their keeper a slap before getting chucked out. Can anyone remember what game that was and when?

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Can't remember.
I was only about 6 or 7 years old (so would have been in 1957-58, but I could be misremembering and it could be later). Seem to remember we won 4-1, but might be wrong.

We were behind the goal where the opposition keeper was, and a cov fan climbed over the low white wall and gave their keeper a slap before getting chucked out. Can anyone remember what game that was and when?

No orange coats back then eh :p

deanocity3

Can't remember.

what match are we on about here?

deanocity3

I know now It was Rotherham early 60's, Rotherham had there keeper injured and their forward John Galley later of Bristol City went in goal.A fan ran on the pitch a hit him.
John is a taxi driver somewhere,his son Chris was part of the 1987 youth team squad that won the FA youth cup.but did not play in the final

Brighton Sky Blue

I know now It was Rotherham early 60's, Rotherham had there keeper injured and their forward John Galley later of Bristol City went in goal.A fan ran on the pitch a hit him.
John is a taxi driver somewhere,his son Chris was part of the 1987 youth team squad that won the FA youth cup.but did not play in the final

Your knowledge of all things City is out of this world!

Users who are viewing this thread