What was your first ever City game? (1 Viewer)

skybluedan

Mines was against derby we lost I was sat in the skybluestand Saunders and ted mcmin I think his name was? Ran us ragged they scored one by hitting the post then oggys back in full flight
Gutted also there was a incident in last minute collision might have been Bennett and shilton in goal and think shilts got a leg break ended 3-2 I think

Big_Ben

Mine was in January '74 in the FA Cup against Derby County. It was a goalless draw, but memorable as the first Sunday game to be played at Highfield Road - I think that was brought on by the 3day week & miners's strike meaning that evening games couldn't be played due to power cuts.
If I remember right we went back to the Baseball Ground and won the replay there.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Sorry guys - but i'm the glory hunter (or so my mates at school said, who mainly surported Liverpool).

My first game was end of feb 1987 v Charlton Athletic. I wasn't aloud to go, football violence was always in the news, I was 15 didn't get into football until late in life (no dad - died 9 years earlier). I snook off for the next 4 home games, my mum finally relaxed when I came home every game in one piece and also cup fever was building up. Never saw City loose, going to every home game from then until cup final, but had to watch the cup final on the box.

H

Harry Grout

Promotion season 1966/67 against the Blues at HR. It was a 1-1 draw and I think we played in red that day. Also remember at HR during the late 60's the lads who patrolled the cinder track during the game selling cups of tea from a box on their back and through a tap.

wingy

Promotion season 1966/67 against the Blues at HR. It was a 1-1 draw and I think we played in red that day. Also remember at HR during the late 60's the lads who patrolled the cinder track during the game selling cups of tea from a box on their back and through a tap.

Bring em back I Say,Customer Service!!:)

deanocity3

Mine was in January '74 in the FA Cup against Derby County. It was a goalless draw, but memorable as the first Sunday game to be played at Highfield Road - I think that was brought on by the 3day week & miners's strike meaning that evening games couldn't be played due to power cuts.
If I remember right we went back to the Baseball Ground and won the replay there.

1-0 win david cross

wingy

Look at that.The working man paying around ten bob for a couple of hours relief after possibly doing a morning shift related to the car Industry that employed tens of thousands in the area at the time,Flat caps ,ties every kind but mostly adult male,Spending around 1.25% of the household Income a month .It really is'nt any dearer today below prem level on an earlybird deal to anyone with a skill.

Grendel

I believe my first game was a 1-1 draw against Man Utd in probably 1971/2. I think Brian Alderson scored for Coventry.

H

Harry Grout

Look at that.The working man paying around ten bob for a couple of hours relief after possibly doing a morning shift related to the car Industry that employed tens of thousands in the area at the time,Flat caps ,ties every kind but mostly adult male,Spending around 1.25% of the household Income a month .It really is'nt any dearer today below prem level on an earlybird deal to anyone with a skill.

For sure Wingy. Even the old fella that came round the house every Thursday night selling the Sky Blue Pool tickets wore a collar and tie and overcoat. Bet he only earned a few pence in commission too.

wingy

For sure Wingy. Even the old fella that came round the house every Thursday night selling the Sky Blue Pool tickets wore a collar and tie and overcoat. Bet he only earned a few pence in commission too.

Yep my uncle was one of them ,became great friends with George Curtis,Arthur Pepper and others ,a great commercial drive back then.

H

Harry Grout

Yep my uncle was one of them ,became great friends with George Curtis,Arthur Pepper and others ,a great commercial drive back then.

We could do with a bit of that commercial drive these days ;)

H

Harry Grout

View attachment 1987View attachment 1986View attachment 1985View attachment 1984some old pics from the 60'sView attachment 1983
I have all the names on the first pic if anyone wants them.It was the first ever photo of them in sky blue

Probably 20 odd years ago, I was playing snooker in the Leyland Motors Social Club near Preston and by chance got talking to a former player; Charlie Ashcroft, who played in goal during the late 50's. He was a bit before my time and I think had left the Club when the earliest of these pictures were taken. Sad to find out that he passed away 3 or 4 years ago.

deanocity3

Probably 20 odd years ago, I was playing snooker in the Leyland Motors Social Club near Preston and by chance got talking to a former player; Charlie Ashcroft, who played in goal during the late 50's. He was a bit before my time and I think had left the Club when the earliest of these pictures were taken. Sad to find out that he passed away 3 or 4 years ago.

http://www.ccfpa.co.uk/?page_id=91
charlie on CCFPA site towards the bottom of the page link

Brighton Sky Blue

Unfortunately I've been offered a 3.5 year extension to my time in Scotland which looks a little too good to decline, so City games will be at a premium as they have been over the last 5 years.

A real shame my late grandad couldn't share his first game though I do know it was in the Clarrie Bourton era. He was the first of his family to start going to HR (living in Bedworth) and in doing so started a habit which will carry on for generations.

pugwash

Birmingham at home, apparently on 8/5/82. We lost 1-0, Mick Harford scored right in front of us in the last minute I think, don't recall much else of the game. I remember some fighting as we were walking up to HR though, was pretty scary for a 10 year old.

skybluealan

1958/59 season against Port Vale, I think it was 1-0 to Coventry. It was towards the end of the season and my dad took me to one more home match after that and we came 2nd and got promoted. I was then hooked and been a supporter ever since.

mindgames

mine was Sky Blues 3, Bristol City 2 - 14th April 1979.

Barry Powell (pen), Steve Hunt and Tommy Hutchison for the Sky Blues.

Went with my old man, and his Dad. Like it should be done!

Users who are viewing this thread