What's the possibility of us being at The Butts next season?

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by skybluebeduff, Oct 9, 2017.

1. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

It doesn't feel like it's the success Wasps portray it as. It's not had any real work done for 12 years and it felt unfinished when it opened. One thing I will give Robinson, Richardson et al their due for is the work they did on improving the concourses at the East Stand and the West End at Highfield Road, adding in false ceilings etc and making it feel less like a shed with a bar in it.

Ranjit Bhurpa likes this.
  2. shy_tall_knight

shy_tall_knight Well-Known Member

The East Stand / former kop end at Highfield road was a great atmosphere - especially in the concourse at half time.I find the concourses at Ricoh very depressing when there are small Crowds especially in the West Stand

Houdi and Ranjit Bhurpa like this.
  3. itsabuzzard

itsabuzzard Active Member

What's fucking wrong with people that someone can't express what seems to me to be a reasonable view on matters without being roundly abused? I'm all for a bit of witty banter and piss-taking, but this is fucking ridiculous. Take a look at yourself.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

4. SkyBlueZack

SkyBlueZack Well-Known Member

We have always struggled to put our stamp on the stadium, ACL weren't too keen on allowing us, Wasps don't want us to either. No CCFC flags on the roundabout, we did ask. Was there not an issue with the badge when we first moved in? Kicked out the home changing room. Have we ever been allowed/encouraged to personalise the stadium? Has ACL ever invited fans too?

The one thing we do have is the bricks, they haven't been looked after, is that down to ACL, the club or fans?

5. RFC

RFC Well-Known Member

None whatsoever IMHO but possibilities still exist for the longer term future!

6. shmmeee

shmmeee Well-Known Member

Got a source for the flags on the roundabout thing? I can only find a Les Reid article which states CCC said they’d be happy for it to take place but that it hasn’t happened.

7. Nick

Nick Administrator

Didn't they say the flag poles were too dangerous for flags or something?

8. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

I think it was something to do with the colour matching the sky and that therefore causing a surreal experience for passing drivers.

martcov likes this.
  9. chiefdave

chiefdave Well-Known Member

That was it. There were flags for Wasps and other Ricoh events up there and as soon as the club asked the council if they could put CCFC flags up they were suddenly dangerous.

10. Hobo

Hobo Well-Known Member

Wasps fans are moaning like fuck about the bars, catering, service and match day experience.

The Butts...no chance of Coventry being there next season.

In fact Wasps continuing their poor start and falling gates....bodes well for a Ricoh extension.

11. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Gates were always going to fall once they stopped giving away hundreds and hundreds and hundress of free tickets.

12. Hobo

Hobo Well-Known Member

It's not just the lack of free tickets its the price hike in standard tickets apparently.

13. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

Oh right. Didn't know they had put their prices up.

The people who now think it is too expensive should get their arses down the Butts.

14. Hobo

Hobo Well-Known Member

My season ticket at The Butts, concessions price, works out at £9.00 a game. Cheapest standard ticket for Wasps, I believe is £32. I might be wrong as I don't go but I am sure I read that on their forum.

I will go up in January to see Ulster and I hope we stuff Wasps.

15. RB1992

RB1992 Active Member

You never tried to get her into football? You could make a day of it. Do a bit of shopping in Tesco beforehand, visit one of the many fast food chains or restaurants that contribute towards our fantastic match-day experience... the possibilities are endless.
    How about you wash that disgusting mouth out so us adults can continue having a proper debate about this?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  16. Hobo

Hobo Well-Known Member

Agree about Highfield Road. It never had the best acoustics or atmosphere. But at the end it had been developed into a good ground with good facilities.

Regarding Wasps, I don't think they have disclosed how many season tickets they have sold? Which I find interesting.

stupot07 likes this.
  17. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

I have tried. I think 3 or 4 times. Best I have got out of her is 20 mins before she's come out with 'can we go home now please.'

Was my dream to have her sitting next to me and her become a true City fan, but she just doesn't care about sport much at all unfortunately.

I've certainly tried my very best with her to try and get her onboard. I've even let her take her games console with her. She just ends up just playing on the games console and completely ignoring the match.

18. skybluetony176

skybluetony176 Well-Known Member

Been there done that. My eldest won’t even entertain the idea and the youngest has tried it twice and wanted to leave at half time both times. I’ll keep asking her though. I do have two nephews who are happy to come from time to time so I bring them when I can.

Otis likes this.
  19. Ashdown

Ashdown Well-Known Member

I had all 3 of my girls going for years, eldest with a season ticket for 6 years.............then critically just as the younger two reached a teenage age where other attractions might drag them away, the wankers that are SISU took the club to Northampton. They barely did a couple of matches after that disgusting period of 'ransoming' the club and it killed it for them. Now they don't even check the results. Shit 'club killing' owners........... and this must have replicated all over the catchment area amongst thousands of people !

20. Captain Dart

Captain Dart Well-Known Member

Fire risk.

21. itsabuzzard

itsabuzzard Active Member

Adults?!?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

22. Liquid Gold

Liquid Gold Well-Known Member

what's that abandoned building at the bottom of Burbages lane? I've always thought that would make a good match day boozer.

23. letsallsingtogether

letsallsingtogether Well-Known Member

Believe wetherspoons bought it to convert to a pub, put it on the back burner when we moved to sixfields.
    Even had the staff sorted my daughter's friend got the resturant manager job!

24. Nick

Nick Administrator

Was Rowleys Green Social Club, used to be open before and after games.

25. Nick

Nick Administrator

They hired before they had even done any building work?

Wouldn't fancy trying to do any building there, tools and materials would be going walkabouts.

The blocking of Burbages lane didn't help, as it blocked it off for anybody coming that way so made it harder to get to.

26. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

What about the land right next to the Ricoh!! Inbetween the stadium and the shops. Plenty of room there to build allsorts. Could be a supporters club/venue. Could even rent it out and start charging Wasps for using it.

27. Sky Blue Kid

Sky Blue Kid Well-Known Member

The ""Bantam" would have been good too.

28. Liquid Gold

A few more pubs could do the atmosphere a world of good, a few with the stadium just over the road, a home fans only, an away fans one and a few mixed fans. Would really build the atmosphere before KO and after the game. there is room for another one the other side of Judds Lane too. People now drink too far away from the stadium and it means people just sneak up in their little groups and an atmosphere is missed, that's what I don't like about stadiums like the Ricoh. A bunch of pubs all within a couple of minutes from the turnstiles and the whole area would have a match day feel about it which would improve it no end, you could even go to Otis' chain restaurants after a few too. Maybe it would happen if we were in the PL with 32k there every other week but there is not enough demand right now.

29. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

you're right but I don't think they'd do much trade for the rest of the week and couldn't survive on match day trade alone, it's a shame.

30. Nick

Nick Administrator

Yep, pubs are still closing.

The Black Horse was an away fans pub as well.

31. Ashdown

Ashdown Well-Known Member

Has that gone to the wall ?

32. Nick

Nick Administrator

It's a scaffolding warehouse.

33. Liquid Gold

They wouldn't, you'd like to think the council could just do them a weekend/matchday license and reduced rents to help out though. After all they are so keen to regenerate that part of the city. You could even do something pop up like the ones made out of shipping containers etc so if the council wanted permanent development they could be moved.

clint van damme likes this.
  34. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

No record of that on the Coventry City Council planning portal, I'd be very surprised if it was true.

35. Nick

Nick Administrator

I only heard it as a rumour, don't think I have ever seen a confirmation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gypsys from the camp next door were involved somehow trying to buy the land to extend a bit.