Where now Mr Khan? (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Is this the end of Amir? it was a great fight but the best man won in the end, it will be interesting to see how he picks himself back up from this.

Yes, all the hype, dreams, hopes are now firmly on the back burner as the result of his this latest bout with the ref clearly not helping the cause BUT Amir should have put this guy away comfortably.

My estimation that he was going to be a superstar cannot now be fullfilled - he has been exposed as good but not very good - keeps getting severely tagged when attempting to brawl.

Should have used the jab more and kept his distance then counter with swift combinations.

Quite where Amir goes from here is debatable - the big pay cheques may not now be attainable in the near future and he may have to start again to gain credibility as a worthy contender.

Amir reminds me of Ricky Hatton who reached a certain level but could not bridge that gap to superstardom.

PUSB

Kuklinski

Amir reminds me of Ricky Hatton who reached a certain level but could not bridge that gap to superstardom.

The main difference being Ricky Hatton lost to the two best fighters at his weight division in the world, two of the best of all time, whereas Khan lost to two fighters that will never be classed any where near the best of their division, let alone going down in history a-la Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Forget the hype, Khan is a good fighter, but that's it. He lost to Prescott who most had never heard of at the time, and he's now lost to a guy ranked number 12 in the world. He is a poor loser, and disrespectful to his opponents. Talking of taking on Mayweather should cease now.

kuklinski,

Good observation ref Hatton's two losses compared to Amir's; I now cannot see him giving creditable opposition to Mayweather and / or the Pacman as he was and still is very vulnerable against accurate big punchers.

PUSB

SkyBlueScottie

If I was Khan I would take the rematch that he has already been offered, without the points deductions he would have won. Best thing for young fighters is to lose, as long as you learn and come back better from it, which Khan has done once. Hamed could not cope with having lost, and ultimately lost his way.

As for his career being over.... no chance, this is boxing, he has a good trainer behind him and a big strong promotion backing him.

Covstu

i agree he should rematch but saying that 'without the points deduction he would have won' is like saying if we scored two more goals on saturday we would have won! I have a friend who i play golf with and he comes out with the if i did not put those two balls in the water i would have gotten a par! Pointless!!!

Kuklinski

Amir is a sore loser. He was warned repeatedly in each round regarding his constant pushing. It was a close fight but the points deducted and subsequent loss were merited.

He is fast but not that good a boxer - most of his fights have been handpicked to flatter him. He talks about wanting to fight Mayweather - but I think he is deeply delusional. Maybe he should try a rematch with Breidis Prescott 1st.

Nathccfc

He should take defeat like a gentleman and accept it, just carry on. What can they do other than offer a rematch? But weren't they trying for that anyway?!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

wingy

Have you watched the footage on sky ,the guy is physically interfering in the judging process .

rob9872

Do any of you really know how boxing works?

His camp and pr are savvy enough to know that it won't be overturned and that this changes nothing. This is merely part of the spin exercise to 'prove' it was a miscarriage and and that the long awaited grudge rematch will generate an even bigger purse for the cash-cow of both fighters. They have turned him into the victim and the crowd will be on his side, not in Washington, probably Vegas.

Kuklinski

I think I know how boxing works having fought 127 amateur bouts and winning 115 of them.

It's never Khan's fault is it? He should accept he was beat, simple. The only surprise is he hasn't claimed Prescott had a horse shoe in his glove when he sent Khan into the middle of next week.

Disorganised1

Do you think it was a 2 point deduction ? Can't see it myself.

Kuklinski

Yes it was, because the ref continually warned him. Khan was asked afterwards if he'd heard the warnings from the ref and he answered "yes I did". Nobody else to blame but himself.

LastGarrison

Rematch allegedly confirmed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/07/amir-khan-mystery-man-rematch

I think Khan was well within his right to question who this chap is and clearly he shouldn't have been where he was regardless of the result. For said chap to then be seem in the ring celebrating with Peterson is slightly suspicious.

On the flip side as said Khan ignored the ref's warnings so can't really complain and paid for going into this fight overlooking Peterson.

rob9872

Obviously your way of being able to get in about your boxing record, but that wasn't the question I asked. The pro game works completely different and I don't mean the rules, the fighters or even boxing itself but the wealthy and corrupt money men that surround it.

Astounded that a record of 115/127 at amateur level would never have tried going pro at any stage during that. Assume you never went to the Olympics either? Seems odd unless you were in the armed forces.

Covstu

Personally i think he has every right to be pissed off, no one knows what is being said but he is clearly in the face of the judge which is against the rules. I would complain if i was him too.

Kuklinski

Obviously your way of being able to get in about your boxing record, but that wasn't the question I asked. The pro game works completely different and I don't mean the rules, the fighters or even boxing itself but the wealthy and corrupt money men that surround it.

Astounded that a record of 115/127 at amateur level would never have tried going pro at any stage during that. Assume you never went to the Olympics either? Seems odd unless you were in the armed forces.

My ability was never going to make me enough money at pro level to make it worthwhile turning pro. Only a select few are lucky enough to make a very good living at the professional game.

I decided it would be more worthwhile training & fighting to keep myself in condition, and doing some personal training to top up my income amongst other interests.

Turning pro is no guarantee of the path to riches, and I was bright enough to recognise this.

LastGarrison

Wasn't Mayweather 60 something with 6 losses and Hatton 50 odd with 5 losses.

For you to have that many amateur fights, where the scoring is much more subjective, and win over 90% of them is pretty good going for someone with, as you put it, limited ability.

Did you fight the same chap 127 times?

Kuklinski

I've no need to have snoopers prying in to my private life. I train with Paul Hudson daily in the Red Corner, pop down and see me, you'll know who I am.

LastGarrison

He did well to wangle a re-match so don't think he is any position to try and negotiate for the fight to be over here as much as we'd like it to be.

I missed the first so will definitely be staying up for this one. Will be interesting to see how the fight goes and whether Roach has been working on Khan's inside fighting.

I haven't seen Khan fight for a while as I personally don't see him as a good value PPV fighter. Looking forwards to the prize fighters this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread