Who could/should you have supported? (1 Viewer)

smouch1975

Just wondering if anyone else has got a solid line back centuries on any particular side, mother or father, of one specific area?

As I said previously, my dad's side is consistently Nottingham and going back to 1600 at least.

My dad though has never mentioned it or ever mentioned Nottingham at all, past our having relatives there.

I just phoned him up and asked which team he supported as a boy and he said no-one.

The City were his first team when he came down here at the age of 12.
Yes there's a very district line going back in the Cov area from about 1300. Nether witticker i think mostly. But we are what we are.

Blow ins and outs as it were. In Australia now making a home. Coventry remains very strong
in our hearts and minds

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Otis

Okay, some great replies and it has been an interesting read.

Going slightly off on a tangent, I just wonder how many of you or your parents were born in one place, left, but never returned.

My dad was actually born in a village just outside Nottingham, but just asked him and he says he has never, ever been back.

I find that surprising. Think I would always want to go back to the place of my birth unless it was in a war zone. He was 12 when he came to Cov, so 12 years in this village and then never ever went back again. I would definitely want to go back.

Anyone else done the same thing? Born in one place and never been back since?

ccfcway

I was bought a Man Utd top as a kid and wore it a lot outside of school.

One day teacher said they had been given free tickets to ccfc v Luton at highfield Rd that evening.

As soon as I walked into the west stand, I knew that ccfc would always be my club.

Several thousands of pounds later, that will never change.

Really does show the power of getting children engaged with the club

Otis

And this could be the season to do it. When better than when the team issue doing well, winning regularly and ahs a chance of promotion.

That would really excite a small child, having something to play for.

Voice_of_Reason

In the 1950's I used to go and watch Birmingham City occassionally. Living in Balsall Common it was not too far away. Blues were an established top tier team in those days and when they reached the Cup Final v Man City I went. This was the final when Bert Trautman broke his neck. When Coventry sold Eddie Brown to Birmingham I stopped going lol.

NortonSkyBlue

As a Coventry kid I dabbled with the winning teams of the day like Leeds, Everton, Liverpool but had a season ticket from 68 in the West Stand and would only support Coventry against anyone.
In 73 I was wearing a silk and satin Sky Blue scarf with the elephant badge waiting for the Liverpool coach to dispense their players on to King Richard Street, as they did in those days, and Bill Shankley was first off the coach and ruffled my long flowing 70's hair and said well done for supporting your local side. We won 1-0 through a Tommy Hutchison masterclass and from that day I have been faithful(although they cheated on me in 2013)
My father was Irish and a Celtic man but was Sky Blue to his boots and despite our current predicament I have never been more devoted to my club.
The feeling like at full time yesterday in Carlisle just can't be replicated in anything I have experienced. A fucking fourth division game!

Moff

Newcastle United. My Nan on my mums side is Geordie, and from a huge family. If you did my family tree, a good 60-70% would be from Newcastle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Same here Stupot, loads of my Dad's family were from Newcastle and surrounding villages. Another reason for me to dislike Sunderland!

SkyBlueSoul

I’m the same as others with the lack of choice, despite links to Blackburn. Both parents born in Cov and fans. One grandad was the stadium manager at HR in the 60s, the other grandad is an avid fan. Older brother a fan too so I stood no chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish Sky Blue

Born in Cov, so were my parents and all of their parents lived in Cov for most of their lives too and even their parents before them { although they had both Banbury and Birmingham connections }, My Uncles and Aunties all live/d in the City and at least one cousin does also. My Mum's Dad regaled me with stories of watching City and Clarrie Bourton in the 1930's with his Dad and brothers. I couldn't really have been anything else, although I had a soft spot for the famous Leeds Utd team of the early 70's !
Must have been great to hear first hand about Carrie Bourton. Guaranteed goal a game man in the old third division. There must be hardly anyone left who saw him play.

ceetee

I was brought up in a village near Rugby and had no connection with Coventry. The village had a football team which I supported until I was old enough to play. On the odd day when we didn't have a game we might go to Leicester, because that's where the guy with the car chose and also because they were a Div 1 team (I'm talking late '50s)
When I started work and went to CTC at the Butts and later the Lanchester I got interested in CCFC but even then it was only the occasional game as a treat.
That continued after I married and had a family and it wasn't until I retired and Saturdays weren't so precious that I became a proper supporter.

RegTheDonk

Never really asked but I must quiz my brother in law WHY he's a City fan. Black Country born and bread, his family weren't into football but think they went up WBA on occasions. When I met the wife and said can't see you every weekend babe, I travel to Cov occasionally for the football. She said that's a coincidence, my bother goes too....it'll save me driving him!

The Reverend Skyblue

As a Coventry kid I dabbled with the winning teams of the day like Leeds, Everton, Liverpool but had a season ticket from 68 in the West Stand and would only support Coventry against anyone.
In 73 I was wearing a silk and satin Sky Blue scarf with the elephant badge waiting for the Liverpool coach to dispense their players on to King Richard Street, as they did in those days, and Bill Shankley was first off the coach and ruffled my long flowing 70's hair and said well done for supporting your local side. We won 1-0 through a Tommy Hutchison masterclass and from that day I have been faithful(although they cheated on me in 2013)
My father was Irish and a Celtic man but was Sky Blue to his boots and despite our current predicament I have never been more devoted to my club.
The feeling like at full time yesterday in Carlisle just can't be replicated in anything I have experienced. A fucking fourth division game!
I had a silk and satin skyblue scarf too back then, I'm pretty sure I've still got it in one of my boxes in my loft.
I've never seen another club do silk scarfs since, pretty bad idea really as it's obviously not warm in the winter and really only a summer item when football isn't played

Otis

I had a silk and satin skyblue scarf too back then, I'm pretty sure I've still got it in one of my boxes in my loft.
I've never seen another club do silk scarfs since, pretty bad idea really as it's obviously not warm in the winter and really only a summer item when football isn't played
Great for the dance of the seven veils though.

BodicoteSkyBlue

Like others on here I never really had a choice. My mum lived in Coventry until she was 13, then moved to Mollington just north of Banbury. My dad also born in Coventry, then grew up in Balsall Common. All my dads family are from Kenilworth & Stratford. He took me to Highfield Road early 70’s. Never looked back!

Londonccfcfan

I was born in Hounslow, my father wasnt really into football more a cricket fan. So as i grew up in the 70s i was a liverpool fan (i actually thought anfield was down the road) they were on tv all the time. So for all i knew it felt like they were my local team.

So as i grew up i was struggling to identify with a team icould truly support.

Really my local team should have Brentford/QPR/chelsea or fulham.

But from a young age always had a bIg link with coventry as my very close cousins are from nuneaton and coventry.

I then went to Cov uni early nineties, lived in hillfields almost behind the stadium, went to my first game with my cousins and i was hooked!

Speedies_Chips

I was bought a Man Utd top as a kid and wore it a lot outside of school.

One day teacher said they had been given free tickets to ccfc v Luton at highfield Rd that evening.

As soon as I walked into the west stand, I knew that ccfc would always be my club.

Several thousands of pounds later, that will never change.

Really does show the power of getting children engaged with the club

Giving free tickets away in the schools?? That idea will never be seen as acceptable !

Seb

I was brought up watching Man Utd and got bought all the kits by my mum. Dad was always a Cov fan (brought up there) and ended up choosing cov, after all these years im happy that I chose cov its more fun

ovduk78

Both parents from Coventry but born in Lincoln whilst my dad was in the RAF, moved back to Coventry when I was a few weeks old and then to Rugby before I was 6. My mum & dad had no interest in sport and I started following Coventry when I was about 10 because "my grandad lived in Coventry". My eldest brother supports Leicester ffs because my grandad's eldest brother lived in Leicester, no idea why my other brother supports Man Utd but it was the late 60s/early 70s and they were quite good. At school in Rugby nearly everyone in my class supported Leeds, Liverpool or Man Utd and just 2 of us supported Coventry and I think the other lad had a season ticket then and has had one ever since but living in Scotland is all that has stopped me from having one since 2002/3.

Edgey95

Born in cov raised in kent, Gillingham is my closest team. My dad took me to watch City when i was younger and since then Ive always supported cov. slowly taking its toll as its such a distance haha

Bumberclart

All my family are Mancs. My Mum is United, My Dad is City.
They moved to Cov before I was born.

I got taken to HR by my dads mate, and its all been downhill from there really.

It could have been worse, my Grandad was from the east end, and a rabid Millwall fan.

Otis

Both parents from Coventry but born in Lincoln whilst my dad was in the RAF, moved back to Coventry when I was a few weeks old and then to Rugby before I was 6. My mum & dad had no interest in sport and I started following Coventry when I was about 10 because "my grandad lived in Coventry". My eldest brother supports Leicester ffs because my grandad's eldest brother lived in Leicester, no idea why my other brother supports Man Utd but it was the late 60s/early 70s and they were quite good. At school in Rugby nearly everyone in my class supported Leeds, Liverpool or Man Utd and just 2 of us supported Coventry and I think the other lad had a season ticket then and has had one ever since but living in Scotland is all that has stopped me from having one since 2002/3.
My eldest brother started following Tottenham for some reason, even though my middle brother and I supported the City. Will never know why.

lifeskyblue

Dad born in Ireland , Mum born in Scotland and me born in Coventry, personally I believe you should support the team were you are born.
So born a Cov Kid always a Cov Kid , remember COVKIDSNEVERQUIT !

I would like to agree...BUT I have5 kids (4 girls and boy) all born in Leicester (aged 15-32). All the girls Leicester ‘fans’ or at least proud of Leicester achievements. One does go to games regularly and all others have been (I did take them to both grounds). Son though is a sky blue and comes with me to games. I did expect him to support foxes especially with them in premier and his school friends being dark blues but I’m very pleased and proud he wears our colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cov kid 55

When I was 5 in 1960, football mad, my parents bought me a Wolves strip (the top team in the country at that time?), ironic, as a few short years later, Wolves were the enemy. My first game was in 1963 against Sunderland in the 5th round of the FA Cup. My Grandad, a ‘sand dancer’ from South Shields, was a big Sunderland fan but supported Cov on that evening. I always had a soft spot for Sunderland, so have been very disappointed with the vitriol from some of their fans towards City and J H on their forum. My brother who is 7 years younger than me, started off supporting City, but switched to Chelsea after they beat Leeds in the 1970 FA Cup final. Very depressing! Never felt the same about him since then! City till I die, I guess.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I can trace my old man's family back in Coventry to the mid 1800's. I can also trace my mum's family back in Cork to the early 1800's. Even though I was born in Gulson Rd Hospital, I consider myself more a Paddy than English, simply because I never knew my old man until I was 15 and only knew my mum's side of the family (my gran and uncles - all Cork folk). I started to do family history a few years back and found it fascinating. That's how I know so much about my Mam and Da. But as I was born in Cov, I've supported them since I was 10 (when I left a Birmingham convent and moved back to Cov!) That was 55 years ago. My eldest son now lives in Derby and has no interest in football. My eldest daughter lives in Nottingham and considers herself a Nottingham lass now. Ah well!

Paul Anthony

I don't honestly think I would have been a fully fledged fan of anyone else. I keep an eye out for Southampton's results because that was my first game, and I lived there for a couple of years.

But basically it was City or nothing. Without City I doubt I'd have cared much for football at all except maybe a passing curiosity in Euro 96. Having a stepdad working the old sky blue turnstiles down in the east end helped entice me into it of course....

Mind you, the way it works in my life with being unlucky, I could have been a Man United supporter in the 90's and they'd probably never have won anything. Sometimes wonder if City would have been much better off without me becoming a supporter!

Gazolba

Support Coventry City, Coventry United and Coventry Sphinx. After that, I support Blyth Spartans since my father was born in Blyth, Northumberland.
Never been to their ground but have driven by it, always look for their results in the FA Cup.
I saw them play at Wrexham in the 1977-78 FA Cup 5th round. Blyth scored first, but Wrexham equalised and then won the replay at St James Park.
Have seen them on TV a few times; they have beaten league opposition in the FA Cup several times.

Last edited:

Cov kid 55

I don't honestly think I would have been a fully fledged fan of anyone else. I keep an eye out for Southampton's results because that was my first game, and I lived there for a couple of years.

But basically it was City or nothing. Without City I doubt I'd have cared much for football at all except maybe a passing curiosity in Euro 96. Having a stepdad working the old sky blue turnstiles down in the east end helped entice me into it of course....

Mind you, the way it works in my life with being unlucky, I could have been a Man United supporter in the 90's and they'd probably never have won anything. Sometimes wonder if City would have been much better off without me becoming a supporter!
Support Coventry City, Coventry United and Coventry Sphinx. After that, I support Blyth Spartans since my father was born in Blyth, Northumberland.
Never been to their ground but have driven by it, always look for their results in the FA Cup.
I saw them play at Wrexham in the 1977-78 FA Cup 5th round. Blyth scored first, but Wrexham equalised and then won the replay at St James Park.
Have seen them on TV a few times; they have beaten league opposition in the FA Cup several times.
I live in the North East and always watch for local results - Gateshead, Blyth, South Shields etc. Some really good lower league teams up here, of which Blyth is one.

Users who are viewing this thread