Who watches American Football in the UK? (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

Do they open up the Hawk's Nest part of the stand for Sounders games?

mechaishida

It will still be NFL as it will be an existing team moving to London, by the looks of things Jacksonville. Be interesting to see what happens if that is a success. Will they expand the league to add more European teams, they can't really add a third conferernce without huge changes.

They tried a seperate league before, the World League launched in 91, which had London Monarchs playing at Wembley in a league that was a mix of Europe, Canada and America. Started well but only lasted 2 seasons.

Was then relaunched in 95 as NFL Europe, with a move to White Hart Lane for London, with just European teams with the season moved to after the American season to try and increase TV numbers in the US. Then then moved to Stamford Bridge.

In 98 it was decided London wasn't working, attendances had dropped to well below 20K and there was a rebrand to England Monarchs with the team travelling around the country. Didn't work and attendances dropped off massively. They folded after that season, the only other UK team (Scottish Claymores) folded in 04 and the whole league collapsed in. From then on all but one team was German. The whole league was binned off in 07.

There's still a European League which has a London and Manchester teams. There's a British league as well which has the Coventry Jets who play in the top tier and do pretty well. They play at Sphinx I think.

View attachment 4727

Ah, roight, Ted. ;-) Sorry, I did show a complete lack of knowledge in my post.

As I said, if people like NFL, that's their prerogative - I just cannot abide blustering Yanks overbearing anyone who dares to refer to 'Sahcerrrr' as 'football'.

B-Ban-Boogie

Do they open up the Hawk's Nest part of the stand for Sounders games?

Yeh... it pissed it down later in the game and there were loads huddling under the left and right bits of the scoreboard, then most went to the lower tier to keep dry!! haha.

20151025_161815.jpg 20151025_175303.jpg

chiefdave

NFL have announced there will 3 - 5 games a year at Twickenham from 2016 - 2018 in addition to a minimum of 2 a year at Wembley until 2020 and a minimum of 2 per year at Tottenham's new ground from 2018.

Gazolba

They should not be allowed to call the game 'football' in Europe or use the term NFL. Since they call our football sport something else (soccer), we should invent a new name for their game here. The football leagues in the US have to use the term soccer league and the acronym LS or SL e.g. NASL, MLS etc. Anyone want to come up with a suggestion? Throwball, Runball, Ameriball, USugby.

Last edited:

ajsccfc

No that's silly. The word soccer came from England to differentiate association football from other types before it became commonly referred to as football and claimed the name on that basis, same as happened there for that version.

Nobody here just calls it football anyway, it's clearly American Football.

Terry Gibson's perm

I was there last Saturday to see the final league game of the year against Real Salt Lake.
My ticket was $21 and I had a great seat in the corner of a fantastic stadium.
Sounders won 3-1 with Clint Dempsey scoring so it was a great day all round..

The atmosphere was a little strange though as kids were just running up and down the stands and whole families just sitting chatting to each other as the game went on.
The noise level was really quiet considering there were 55,000 in there..

Obafemi Martins was playing for the Sounders as well and if he'd have made a bit of an effort during the game the score might have been even more emphatic..
Jesus, he's one lazy bastard..............

All in all a great game though :D

View attachment 4752View attachment 4748View attachment 4749View attachment 4750View attachment 4751

Thanks made me want to go back even more! I haven't been since the Kingdome days, Martins just has the odd moment when he is different class but then seems to stand around a lot.

Macca

Been popular for nigh on 30 years, Gazbola.

Would guess that the majority there were Brits. I went to a Wembley game a few years back and it was mainly British people I cams across. As soon as they announce the games they sell out very, very quickly too.

Think the obvious answer to how popular it is here is the fact that a UK NFL franchise team is very much on the cards, so we'll have a permanent NFL team here in the very near future.

Christ that will provoke uproar on here

covcity4life

fuking packers lost 2 on trot now. rogers getting sacked left right and centre vs panthers

should have kicked a field goal and tried an onside kick at the end perhaps

Pipehitterz

i went to wembley a couple weeks back to watch a game after previously attending a game last year
absolutely fantastic occasion
pre match mini gig by madness, last year little mix
im making it an annual event, even tho ive never watched a game on the telly
this year the game was one sided so not overl exciting, last year a team won with last kick of the game
the fans really get into the pre match hype, i would recommend it to any sports fan , although the day is a huge expense £5,30 a pint and 3-4 hours inside the ground added to 3 hours before around the ground

its quite a bonkers day out

CCFC88

fuking packers lost 2 on trot now. rogers getting sacked left right and centre vs panthers

should have kicked a field goal and tried an onside kick at the end perhaps

3 now, and it could very well be 4 @ vikings next Sunday!

Big win for my Redskins, Kirk Cousins looks to be finding his range, albeit against a woeful Saints defense, but with the Eagles and Giants slipping up and the cowboys looking hopeless without Romo the NFC East is wide open!

Otis

3 now, and it could very well be 4 @ vikings next Sunday!

Big win for my Redskins, Kirk Cousins looks to be finding his range, albeit against a woeful Saints defense, but with the Eagles and Giants slipping up and the cowboys looking hopeless without Romo the NFC East is wide open!
My Redskins too.

Cousins isn't the full package but he'll do for now. Shame RG III didn't work. He doesn't have the nimbleness of say Wilson at Seattle to avoid hits and the last few times he's played he's been pummeled.

Would still like to see the Redskins bring in a better QB. If they could sort out their defence they'd have a good side.

They could possibly make the play-offs, but too many frailties I think at the moment.

SkyblueBazza

There's not many on this forum that would support franchise football. Be it round or egg-shaped variety...anywhere in the land!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Otis

Anyone watch the Bengals v Steelers game last night?

Unbelievable! 1 min 23 seconds left, winning and with the ball already in field goal range, the Bengals, instead of just a hand off for a safe run of half a yard or no gain to kill the clock, the running back went to try for a longer gain and fumbled and the Steelers got the ball back.

And then with 18 seconds left, with Pittsburgh having the ball and Roethlisberger carrying an injury and struggling to throw, the Bengals inexplicably gave away back to back 15 yard penalties, resulting in Pittsburgh gaining 30 yards and having a really easy field goal attempt to win the game.

Talk about throwing a game away! It was won and they just needed to kill time.

Was a very exciting end though.

J

Jack Griffin

CYULpdxWEAAx_C5.jpg

Otis

Hmm, so that's why we had one NFL game here every year, which was then increased to two NFL games a year and now this year has 3 NFL games here and why every game is sold out and 500,000 people turn out for the annual Regent Street NFL zone day.

A London franchise of an NFL team to be in place within just a few years too.

Yep, definitely not popular at all in the UK for sure. ;)

mechaishida

Hmm, so that's why we had one NFL game here every year, which was then increased to two NFL games a year and now this year has 3 NFL games here and why every game is sold out and 500,000 people turn out for the annual Regent Street NFL zone day.

A London franchise of an NFL team to be in place within just a few years too.

Yep, definitely not popular at all in the UK for sure. ;)

If they inaugurated a Women's NFL league here, I would be a vociferous advocate and no mistake. Quality entertainment, and the ridiculously skimpy outfits give me a strange teenager-esque tingle.

Big Ron and Andy Gray as commentators, naturally.

CJ_covblaze

I must say, I'm shocked that Greenland even has a national sport...I know it's classed as a Danish territory, with a population of about 60 000, but Glacier League Tournaments and Shifting Ice Sheet Cup games? Hmmm...

Surprised about South Africa too. Would've thought they're Rugby or Cricket.

AngryAnt

Started watching the NFL last year when it was on channel 4 and I was up at silly o'clock. Started getting into it and watched the Superbowl (as a result I'm sort of following the sea hawks). Its interesting and can be exciting, especially after the 2 hours plus and it all comes down to the final 30 seconds. Friend is a packers fan and promised to explain the rules but I've mostly picked them up myself.

I'd love to go to Wembley to see it as a few from work went this year and the idea of a London/British team is pretty much a done deal.

That said, its nothing compared to actual football. I mean they only play for a third of the year and most of the 'playing time' is spent twiddling their thumbs!

Otis

Started watching the NFL last year when it was on channel 4 and I was up at silly o'clock. Started getting into it and watched the Superbowl (as a result I'm sort of following the sea hawks). Its interesting and can be exciting, especially after the 2 hours plus and it all comes down to the final 30 seconds. Friend is a packers fan and promised to explain the rules but I've mostly picked them up myself.

I'd love to go to Wembley to see it as a few from work went this year and the idea of a London/British team is pretty much a done deal.

That said, its nothing compared to actual football. I mean they only play for a third of the year and most of the 'playing time' is spent twiddling their thumbs!
Been a brilliant weekend of games. Watched all 4 and they were all really exciting games with 2 of them going right down to the wire.

Disappointing for me though as the Redskins are my team and they lost last night. Knew that if Rodgers had a good game it would be pretty much curtains and so it proved to be the case.

Oh well. Will now root for the banged up Patriots.

scubasteve

Another 2 great games, last night as well, I actually some times prefer the wild card and divisional play off weekends to the spectacle of the superbowl.

Loved the Seahawks @ Vikings game, had a real old style tough defensive game about it and playing in temperatures of -22, with a wind chill of -33, it must have hurt when getting hit. The field goal miss at the end was unbelievable, all I could think off was ray finkle from ace ventura and LACES OUT.

Packers @ redskins was good as well back and forth with the scoring but packers offence had a bit more about it in the 4th quarter, and Eddie Lacy broke off a couple of big runs to pull the packers away at the end.

Otis

go pack go!
If Rodgers is on fire then I see no reason why they can't win the Superbowl.

Got a feeling Kansas City may make the final from the AFC and from the NFC, probably Carolina or Green Bay.

Think the Panthers will beat Seattle and Arizona still don't have a top rate quarterback.

Money would have been on the Patriots, but they are pretty banged up and lost some key players in the final weeks of the season.

They do have the best player in the NFL though in my opinion and that is Gronkowski at tight end. Impossible to stop.

Otis

Actually just changed my mind about the Chiefs. Just looked now and they have some key injuries to their pass rushing and New England have a few fit again, so I am going for Pats win. If Brady gets time he will just pick them apart.

Denver v Panthers or Packers final.

scubasteve

AFC is wide open, chiefs and broncos offence is struggling but their defence's are playing well. pats are banged up but you cant write Brady off, and as long as Roethlisberger is healthy on Sunday their offence can be deadly.

NFC i cant see past panthers or cardinals, both elite on defence, but panthers offence has been good with cam newton doing excellent things with not much in receivers. green bay I think are just not good enough, Rodgers hasn't been great all season but had flashes on Sunday and Arizona destroyed them a couple of weeks ago, the offensive line cant protect Rodgers. Seahawks got lucky against the vikes and the offence isn't good enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the panthers.

my prediction for the superbowl is patriots vs panthers

Otis

AFC is wide open, chiefs and broncos offence is struggling but their defence's are playing well. pats are banged up but you cant write Brady off, and as long as Roethlisberger is healthy on Sunday their offence can be deadly.

NFC i cant see past panthers or cardinals, both elite on defence, but panthers offence has been good with cam newton doing excellent things with not much in receivers. green bay I think are just not good enough, Rodgers hasn't been great all season but had flashes on Sunday and Arizona destroyed them a couple of weeks ago, the offensive line cant protect Rodgers. Seahawks got lucky against the vikes and the offence isn't good enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the panthers.

my prediction for the superbowl is patriots vs panthers

On Sunday though, after the first few possessions, Redskins didn't get near Rodgers and their pass rush isn't that bad. Packers did something right to protect him.

ajsccfc

I'd back Wilson and Baldwin against any pairing at the moment, but it depends on who else turns up. If Lynch could decide that he's no longer injured that'd be nice, I still don't trust Christine Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread