Why rearrange Tranmere for midweek night in January? (1 Viewer)

oakey

The stupidity of this fixture on a midweek night in January beggars belief.
Why place a postponed game then when the temperature is likely to be minus 2?
I have just counted and there are 6, yes 6 empty weeks in March and April when a midweek night match is quite an agreeable prospect.
Only obsessives and Masochists want to travel in subzero temperatures to watch football in January on a weeknight.
Why don't they consider what supporters want?
Rant over ... Feel a bit better.

stupot07

Because the JPT game was moved to a Thursday for Sky, which moved Carlisle to Sunday, which moved Tranmere to Wednesday. You have to have at last 2 rest days between games.

Perhaps they went for a Jan, as because of our JPT run and didnt want to have to have a clash, there aren't many weeks without midweek games, and we have 2 extras with the JPT area final.

Last edited:

oakey

I realise why they had to rearrange the Tranmere game. Why not put it in March or April? No reason I can think of.
It was originally scheduled for January 5th and was postponed because of the FA cup match at Tottenham. Nothing to do with JPT

Last edited:

stupot07

Perhaps they went for a Jan, as because of our JPT run and didnt want to have to have a clash, there aren't many weeks without midweek games, and we have 2 extras with the JPT area final.

oakey

Cheers Swanny. I realise some young bucks won't mind going out and fighting off the polar bears on the way back to their cars but some of us travel from outside the area and don't fancy it in this weather.
Stupot, I just counted 6 weeks in March and April without a midweek match. OK one might be used for match rearranged for JPT final, we hope, but still stupid and not considerate to fans.

Last edited:

oakey

Just checked weather forecast for Longford ... Minus 3 on Wednesday at 8pm, dropping to minus 5 later that night.
I'm out. Sorry. Attendance will be about 2000 lower than a fair evening in April.

SkyBlueScottie

Perhaps Tranmere would not agree to a later date. They are likely to be in the mix for play offs and perhaps don't want the extra game at that time.

oakey

The pitch looked awful last week. How much worse will it get If freezes then is thawed out, freezes again then thawed out for Saturday when more snow and ice is forecast?

standupforcity

I have just counted and there are 6, yes 6 empty weeks in March and April when a midweek night match is quite an agreeable prospect.
Only obsessives and Masochists want to travel in subzero temperatures to watch football in January on a weeknight.

I'm travelling from London for this game because I support Coventry City, regardless of the day of the week or the weather conditions!

Degga

Not 100% sure but think a rearranged game must be played within 30 days of the original date under F.A rules.

hill83

"Oh no it's a bit cold" etc

I'm glad it's this week, I wish we had a game every single week including the summer.

Plus we were touching 10 degrees last week.

Last edited:

I'm glad it's this week, I wish we had a game every single week including the summer.

I agree, i always look forward to midweek games. So what if it is cold, put some more clothes on to keep warm. Or is that beyond some people?!!?

lordsummerisle

Feel the same, the one good thing about being in League One is no break for International games, always hated that.

SkyBlueScottie

Football league rules state that rescheduled games must be played at the earliest available opportunity if a date is not agreed then it goes to a football league committee and they decide on the date.

skyblueinBaku

The pitch looked awful last week. How much worse will it get If freezes then is thawed out, freezes again then thawed out for Saturday when more snow and ice is forecast?

Is snow & ice forecast for Saturday, oakey? If so, a trip up to the Oldham game looks doubtful.

ajsccfc

It had been very mild up to this week, you can't really avoid scheduling games in case it gets cold.

Gint11

Cannot believe you have actually posted this. MAN UP!

oakey

Duh? It's not about what you wear. The roads will have freezing fog and massive queues before the game. Many fans like me will not leave work to sit on an icy dual carriageway for an hour before and after, ta.
What's MAN UP got to do with it? Not that old chestnut that not feeling cold makes you tough? Do you still think the earth is flat too?

standupforcity

Duh? It's not about what you wear. The roads will have freezing fog and massive queues before the game. Many fans like me will not leave work to sit on an icy dual carriageway for an hour before and after, ta.
What's MAN UP got to do with it? Not that old chestnut that not feeling cold makes you tough? Do you still think the earth is flat too?

Get your priorities right....City first, weather and day of the week second. Unbelievable post!!

oakey

As I said only for obsessives and masochists ... I guess you would have to be to support ccfc anyway.
Gate will be well down but that should please the macho men who don't really want old people, women and children there anyhow.

Grendel

Get your priorities right....City first, weather and day of the week second. Unbelievable post!!

To be fair you are less likely to attract floating supporters in January than April on a mid week night. That is his point. From a revenue perspective in seems a bit dumb.

oakey

To be fair you are less likely to attract floating supporters in January than April on a mid week night. That is his point. From a revenue perspective in seems a bit dumb.
Thanks, Grendel. I thought I was losing my grip on reality for a while there. The casual fans might fancy a trip up on a pleasant Spring evening when it stays light, no chance tomorrow.

Gint11

Thanks, Grendel. I thought I was losing my grip on reality for a while there. The casual fans might fancy a trip up on a pleasant Spring evening when it stays light, no chance tomorrow.

Had a Season ticket since I was 6, not really casual is it? Football is a autumn/winter sport or hadnt you noticed?!?

oakey

Absolutely not Gint11. Not aimed at you or anyone else. My issue is RESCHEDULING a game. If it was on the fixture list for now, well it wouldn't be actually because they don't put midweek games in January as a rule for obvious reasons. So why not use common sense and put the game in one of the SIX spare weeks we have in March and April.
That is all.
Enjoy the game everyone.
PUSB

skablue

The Football League Rules state that the game must be played at the earliest convenient date for both clubs, which is today, had we managed a draw at Spurs then the game would have been postponed once again and we would be hosting Tottenham tonight. I doubt you would be complaining if that had been the case. Also what happens if this weather continues for a month and we get away fixtures postponed as most grounds in this league don't have undersoil heating, we will have a fixture backlog and those free dates you mention in March and April will be used up then.

Users who are viewing this thread