Women's Euros 2022 (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

First game tonight, England v Austria at Old Trafford at 8, live on BBC 1. Was meant to be going but illness has scuppered that! Got tickets for a few other games so hopefully will be able to make them

We look very good going into it and are right up there with the favourites. Spain were listed as pre-tournament favourites but current Ballon D'or holder Putellas did her ACL yesterday. We've got a strong squad, players in form and a manager in Wiegman who won it in 2017 with Netherlands. Went to both of the home warm up games and there's a really good atmosphere around atm, we're just playing with a calmness and confidence.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

How many other real contenders are there to win it?

I only ask as most of the qualifying results I saw for England & other leading nations resembled cricket scores so I'm guessing there are only maybe 2 or 3 teams that could actually win this?

...or am I way off? Are these last 16 fairly evenly matched?

SkyBlueSoul

There's definitely some deadwood for want of a better word, pretty sure Northern Ireland's squad are all amateurs for example. Of the others I'd say England, Spain, Norway, Sweden, France, Germany and Netherlands all have a legitimate chance of winning it

Skyblueweeman

There's definitely some deadwood for want of a better word, pretty sure Northern Ireland's squad are all amateurs for example. Of the others I'd say England, Spain, Norway, Sweden, France, Germany and Netherlands all have a legitimate chance of winning it

My beloved Norn Iron are pretty much all amateurs but have been taking part in a 7 month FT training camp with it apparently making a difference in fitness levels, recovery periods, tactical awareness etc.

Still think we're in for a bit of a tonking but getting to the tournament wasn't predicted so we're already overachieving.

Would expect England to at least get to the final. Looking forward to watching some of the games.

Otis

I especially like Lauren Hemp. She is quite some player.

We have some very good players in the squad. Toone, Walsh, Bronze, White.

SkyBlueSoul

Covid means I've had to give my ticket up, more than a little bit jealous watching it on TV!

SkyBlueSoul

Glad it's not just me, thought I was going mental!

Looking pretty nervy so far, lots of lost possession and misplaced passes/clearances. Need to get the ball and settle into the game

chiefdave

why are we having a VAR check if there's goal line technology, if the goal line tech isn't reliable why is it being used?

SkyBlueSoul

Lovely control and loft over the keeper but yeah, from the first replay it didn't look over. Ahh well, won't complain

Sky Blue Harry H

Was trying to take it seriously, then they go and start the Mexican wave - ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

David O'Day

One of the comms people said it was one of the best atmospheres ever at Old Trafford. I know it ain't great there sometimes but that can fuck off

Otis

If I was England manager I would just play for throw ins, because every time you get one, you are allowed to advance the ball at least 15 yards.

SkyBlueSoul

Really enjoying this game.

First time I've seen Leah Williamson play. Class act at CB isn't she? Very impressed!
Big fan of hers, equally as assured at CDM. She's just so classy on the ball. Very impressive when you see her interviewed as well. Calm, determined and articulate, can see why she's been made captain

Sky Blue Harry H

Deserved the lead. One decent commentator, but the other woman 'Lucy Bronze complaining that it should be her throw in' (the other one corrected her) was not very good.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ref definitely didn't look at her watch when she gave the goal
I thought she did glance at it. Doesn't it vibrate as well? Found the VAR check odd. Surely all they do is recheck the goalline technology.

My initial impression was it wasn't in.

covcity4life

Big fan of hers, equally as assured at CDM. She's just so classy on the ball. Very impressive when you see her interviewed as well. Calm, determined and articulate, can see why she's been made captain
Yah passing has stood out. Makes sense can be CDM too.

Just downloaded women's super League highlights on sky demand. I guess this tournament is working already lol

Users who are viewing this thread