Women's Euros 2022 (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

A bit sad they they’re so focussed on the mens game comparison. Why do you (womens footy supporters) care? I don’t care about the womens game anymore than I care about the U23 leagues.

If we’d just won the mens euros I certainly wouldn’t be thinking one bit about the womens game 😂

Nick

Administrator
A bit sad they they’re so focussed on the mens game comparison. Why do you (womens footy supporters) care? I don’t care about the womens game anymore than I care about the U23 leagues.

If we’d just won the mens euros I certainly wouldn’t be thinking one bit about the womens game 😂

I'd guess the majority of people now comparing and using it to get one over on the "men's game" will have no clue about their next local Women's match.

Hopefully it will get more into it and supporting at club level but a lot of the new found football experts attention will soon be onto something else.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I'd guess the majority of people now comparing and using it to get one over on the "men's game" will have no clue about their next local Women's match.

Hopefully it will get more into it and supporting at club level but a lot of the new found football experts attention will soon be onto something else.
Love Island's already finished though, Nick!

SkyBlueSoul

I agree with you that they should stop comparing the two in a lot of ways, but I think it's easy to see why the comparison is there on one side atm. Most fans of the women's game are also fans of the men's game and they finally feel like it's stepping out of the shadow. Of course you wouldn't think about the women's game if you don't care about it, but it doesn't mean it can't go the other way.

There's still work to do and we need to get to a point where it settles down and we stop hearing things like "Ellen White is close to breaking Rooney's record as leading England goal scorer" on one side and "Yeah but it's only the women" on the other

robbiekeane

There's still work to do and we need to get to a point where it settles down and we stop hearing things like "Ellen White is close to breaking Rooney's record as leading England goal scorer" on one side and "Yeah but it's only the women" on the other

That’s a pretty simple fix. “Ellen white broke Kelly Smiths record as leading England goal scorer”

Response: “That’s great”

Last edited:

Otis

That’s a pretty simple fix. “Ellen white broke Kelly Smiths record as leading England goal scorer”

Yup, it's an unfair comparison. Only last year we beat Latvia 20-0 and we play against so many very poor international teams, scores in double figures are not uncommon. White has had so many more much easier opportunities to score.

She's a an excellent striker in the women's game, but there is no comparison to be had with the likes of the Rooney record.

Nick

Administrator

It really is as simple as that.

For all of the demands for equality in the game, there is an awful lot of sexism in some of the comparisons too.

Grendel

It really is as simple as that.

For all of the demands for equality in the game, there is an awful lot of sexism in some of the comparisons too.

Again other sports you don’t get it

Williams is never compared to nadal and co but Margaret Court

Nick

Administrator
Again other sports you don’t get it

Williams is never compared to nadal and co but Margaret Court

That's because football tends to have more of a bandwagon and I think all of those comparisons are trying to hype women's football up more than it actually is. Would you have the striker in the England's Blind Football team compared to Rooney?

It will be interesting to see how much women's club football attendances go up through the season.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's because football tends to have more of a bandwagon and I think all of those comparisons are trying to hype women's football up more than it actually is. Would you have the striker in the England's Blind Football team compared to Rooney?

It will be interesting to see how much women's club football attendances go up through the season.

I can’t see that happening.

MacReady

Glad they won and hopefully the game will grow, but I’m just ignoring all the comparisons. The womens game is a long way off the quality of the mens, particularly given even the national league teams are playing some fairly tasty football. Hopefully the media will shut the f*ck up with all the men v women nonsense and just let the womens game continue to grow and improve.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Good to see the outrage from Souness saying a Men's Premier League match was a "man's game".

It's fucking embarrassing.
What some deluded people seem to think is that men's and women's professional are somehow one and the same thing and so Souness has offended 50% of the football nation.
Women's football is a side show , marketed beyond belief by the likes of the BBC.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Glad they won and hopefully the game will grow, but I’m just ignoring all the comparisons. The womens game is a long way off the quality of the mens, particularly given even the national league teams are playing some fairly tasty football. Hopefully the media will shut the f*ck up with all the men v women nonsense and just let the womens game continue to grow and improve.
Spot on. Improve it certainly can .

Users who are viewing this thread