Women's World Cup 2023 (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

Rishi really can't win either way can he, if he had gone it would be "Co2 emissions and better things to be getting on with".

(Not defending him generally, just found it ironic)

He was probably told other people would be on the plane and thought fuck that private jets only for me, pretty poor they dodged out of meeting the people who had waited for them maybe getting a bit big time now.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Prince William has a bigger question to answer. As patron of the FA, he should have had the final date in his diary a couple of years ago, and it is poor to say his diary didn't allow him to attend. There is NO WAY he would have missed a men's final!

Maybe he did and the queen dying has thrown the plan out as the king hasn’t travelled there yet (not a rule I knew I read it somewhere)

Terry Gibson's perm

I expect at least 150,000 will sell as a minimum as all the people signing the petition should be buying one

chiefdave

Be embarrassing if they don't immediately sell out. See she's still not happy and posted a shitty message on social media.

SkyBlueSoul

So where do we all stand on this Rubiales knobhead then?

The kiss and crotch grab incidents were bad. Followed by the good old “I’m sorry if I offended anyone” line but he is REALLY doubling down at this press conference.

“She (Hermoso) grabbed me and brought me closer to her body. We hugged (…) and then I asked: “A peck?”. She said “ok”. It happened, then she left padding me at the back with a smile on her face. This was the full sequence”.

Followed by him repeatedly shouting “I will not resign”.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

The kiss and crotch grab incidents were bad. Followed by the good old “I’m sorry if I offended anyone” line but he is REALLY doubling down at this press conference.

“She (Hermoso) grabbed me and brought me closer to her body. We hugged (…) and then I asked: “A peck?”. She said “ok”. It happened, then she left padding me at the back with a smile on her face. This was the full sequence”.

It's inevitable he's going to have to resign or be sacked eventually so he'd might as well do it now, and apologise. Seems to lack the insight though.

Skyblueweeman

Seems like the Spanish politicians are after him, the Spanish media are against him and some well know Spanish players (Casillas/De Gea), also criticising his response today. Guilleme Ballague also saying that todays rant surprised many, including some in his inner circle.

I can't imagine it'll be long before he's gone.

SkyBlueSoul

Sounds like it will take being sacked seeing as he talks about being persecuted and a social assassination. Some more quotes:

“I’m not going to resign, I’m not going to resign, I’m NOT going to resign, I’m NOT going to resign, I’m not going to resign,” Rubiales declared on stage at the RFEF meeting.

“And I’ll tell you more: I’ve received a lot of pressure as well, not just you. A lot of comments have come to me. They’ve told me that the best thing would be to resign because if not, probably on Monday it would occur to someone to kick me out of the forum, find the formula.

“But we’re in a country where the law rules, where there has to be a motive to take you out of some place. And I say: what is it I’ve done? A consensual peck is enough to get me out of here?”

“The kiss, the peck. I want to give my explanation too,” Rubiales continued. “Of course, whoever sees the video, in front of millions of people, on television, in front of my family, in front of my daughters, the desire I had with that kiss is the same as the one I would give to one of my daughters.

“Therefore, there is no desire as the media sells it by paying respect to Mr (Javier) Tebas (La Liga president) as false feminism. It was spontaneous, mutual and consensual.

“From there we went on to the player’s silence and a statement that I don’t quite understand. A social assassination is being carried out, they are trying to kill me. As a Spaniard, we have to reflect on where we are going.

“For the last five years, I have suffered persecution. I said it when I arrived here: some powerful people are going to be annoyed that I am here.

“I am talking to my three daughters. False feminism doesn’t seek justice, it doesn’t care about people. They are preparing an execution to put on a medal, but that’s not the way forward.”

tisza

Seems like the Spanish politicians are after him, the Spanish media are against him and some well know Spanish players (Casillas/De Gea), also criticising his response today. Guilleme Ballague also saying that todays rant surprised many, including some in his inner circle.

I can't imagine it'll be long before he's gone.
How about these Spanish politicians & media take this outrage into reforming a legal system that protects women more - particularly those affected by sexual assaults?

David O'Day

The clubs and players seem to be not standing for this.

He may go before the Spanish Government make him go

SkyBlueSoul

Long statement on Hermoso's instagram saying what he's said is bollocks. Surely he can't last much longer.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Obviously it is all a bit weird, but why has it taken a week to get to this? Not defending him by any means, but it just feels like a modern day bandwagon of offence people have just jumped on and now all of a sudden it's a lynch mob. Does my head in. If it was wrong in moment one then surely that should clear and fuck him off there and then.

NorthernWisdom

Obviously it is all a bit weird, but why has it taken a week to get to this? Not defending him by any means, but it just feels like a modern day bandwagon of offence people have just jumped on and now all of a sudden it's a lynch mob. Does my head in. If it was wrong in moment one then surely that should clear and fuck him off there and then.
It hasn't taken a week for the story to break, it's taken a week for his response, and the players' response to his response to get to where we are. The story itself however has been a story since it happened.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It hasn't taken a week for the story to break, it's taken a week for his response, and the players' response to his response to get to where we are. The story itself however has been a story since it happened.

Nah. It happened a week ago. The whole thing was filmed and was broadcast live. As I said, I'm not claiming it was alright, but this has become a runaway train. His reaction isn't really that relevant.

SBT

Not sure that’s totally right, Rubiales did apologise the day after the final. Although you have to say that apology is clearly far short of being unequivocal.

I think the bigger issue is that, like so many women, Hermoso was prepared to just suck up the everyday sexism and move on with her life, until she realised she had the public backing to actually speak out against it for a change. I certainly don’t see that as a bad thing, it’s not like there’s a statute of limitations on this kind of thing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not sure that’s totally right, Rubiales did apologise the day after the final. Although you have to say that apology is clearly far short of being unequivocal.

I think the bigger issue is that, like so many women, Hermoso was prepared to just suck up the everyday sexism and move on with her life, until she realised she had the public backing to actually speak out against it for a change. I certainly don’t see that as a bad thing, it’s not like there’s a statute of limitations on this kind of thing.

Alternatively, she wasn't actually that bothered until everyone said she should be. Now, that's where his reaction is relevant. It doesn't seem like she actually cared until he said that she practically made the first move.

As I said, runaway train. If you're going to be upset about it, say how you feel. Don't wait for the whole world to grant you permission. I don't think it's a case of just 'accepting sexism like everyone else', more a symptom of today's cancel culture.

And yes, I think he is a bellend.

SBT

Alternatively, she wasn't actually that bothered until everyone said she should be. Now, that's where his reaction is relevant. It doesn't seem like she actually cared until he said that she practically made the first move.

As I said, runaway train. If you're going to be upset about it, say how you feel. Don't wait for the whole world to grant you permission. I don't think it's a case of just 'accepting sexism like everyone else', more a symptom of today's cancel culture.

And yes, I think he is a bellend.
That’s not true - she publicly said directly after the game (in the changing rooms, in fact!) that she didn’t like what happened, “But what am I supposed to do?”

Who are we to say when it’s too late for her to call out behaviour she was clearly uncomfortable with? Especially if someone is subsequently trying to twist the narrative of what actually happened.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That’s not true - she publicly said directly after the game (in the changing rooms, in fact!) that she didn’t like what happened, “But what am I supposed to do?”

Who are we to say when it’s too late for her to call out behaviour she was clearly uncomfortable with? Especially if someone is subsequently trying to twist the narrative of what actually happened.

As I said, it's creepy as hell, but I don't support the view that it was 'too hard to tackle' or whatever. If it was creepy and wrong at moment one, it was creepy and wrong at moment one.

SBT

As I said, it's creepy as hell, but I don't support the view that it was 'too hard to tackle' or whatever. If it was creepy and wrong at moment one, it was creepy and wrong at moment one.
Would you say the same about Mason Greenwood’s girlfriend, seeing as she didn’t report being abused until long after it allegedly began?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Would you say the same about Mason Greenwood’s girlfriend, seeing as she didn’t report being abused until long after it allegedly began?

What do you think about Silvio Berlusconi's treatment of women, and the reaction to that?

Here's a clue. Not fucking relevant to this situation.

SBT

What do you think about Silvio Berlusconi's treatment of women, and the reaction to that?

Here's a clue. Not fucking relevant to this situation.
Well all I’m saying is that if someone is on the wrong end of inappropriate behaviour, and would usually be resigned to just having to deal with it (“What am I supposed to do?”), but instead finds support from other people to the point where they decide to call it out, I find that encouraging. Not sure why I should be bothered about how long that process takes.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Well all I’m saying is that if someone is on the wrong end of inappropriate behaviour, and would usually be resigned to just having to deal with it (“What am I supposed to do?”), but instead finds support from other people to the point where they decide to call it out, I find that encouraging. Not sure why I should be bothered about how long that process takes.

I'm sorry, but it is hard to see the sincerity here. It just looks like virtue signalling. Given that you posted an article from Monday to try and claim the moral high ground, but only commented on it today for the first time yourself, you'll have to forgive me for not giving you the benifit of the doubt and throwing you in with the bandwagon. You do also have previous...

In fact, by dying on this hill now - you're basically proving my point stronger the more you post. No wonder you want to talk about Mason Greenwood.

Otis

How it appears to me is....

The incident happened, the player didn't like it and said straight out she didn't like it, right after the game, but felt she couldn't do anything about it.

So, she did speak out, but it's his comments after in response, that's seemingly enraged her. He's dismissed it all and pretty much said she was all for it and that's why we are where we are now.

I don't see the problem. She spoke out immediately, his response was bloody awful and it's escalated from there. The story has always been there. It's his words since that has escalated it and he's still downplaying it. In fact, digging a bigger hole with every statement.

Spain HAD just won the World Cup, so amongst all from disdain of the player, she must have been euphoric over the victory too, as were the whole country.

I honestly don't understand your take on it ESB. It all seems quite naturally organic to me.

SBT

I'm sorry, but it is hard to see the sincerity here. It just looks like virtue signalling. Given that you posted an article from Monday to try and claim the moral high ground, but only commented on it today for the first time yourself, you'll have to forgive me for not giving you the benifit of the doubt and throwing you in with the bandwagon. You do also have previous...

In fact, by dying on this hill now - you're basically proving my point stronger the more you post. No wonder you want to talk about Mason Greenwood.
I posted that article to point out a basic factual inaccuracy in your argument. Not because I’m ‘virtue signalling’ or ‘taking the moral high ground’ or whatever other buzzword you typically throw in at this point of the discussion.

Neither of us had posted about this until last night so I’m not sure why that invalidates my opinion while yours is apparently still ok. But if I say any more then I must just be ‘dying on a hill’ again.

Grendel

Spanish FA apparently backing the president and taking legal action against the player.

It’s embarrassing now 80 Spanish players striking - the Spanish are living up to their stereotypical Latin misogyny

CCFCSteve

How it appears to me is....

The incident happened, the player didn't like it and said straight out she didn't like it, right after the game, but felt she couldn't do anything about it.

So, she did speak out, but it's his comments after in response, that's seemingly enraged her. He's dismissed it all and pretty much said she was all for it and that's why we are where we are now.

I don't see the problem. She spoke out immediately, his response was bloody awful and it's escalated from there. The story has always been there. It's his words since that has escalated it and he's still downplaying it. In fact, digging a bigger hole with every statement.

Spain HAD just won the World Cup, so amongst all from disdain of the player, she must have been euphoric over the victory too, as were the whole country.

I honestly don't understand your take on it ESB. It all seems quite naturally organic to me.

I’ve got a similar view. I watched it back and it looks like it was done in pure excitement/heat of the moment. Inappropriate but if he’d just come out and apologised, said he got caught up in the moment, I think the whole thing could’ve been put to bed

Bizarre press conference/response has done for him

Grendel

I’ve got a similar view. I watched it back and it looks like it was done in pure excitement/heat of the moment. Inappropriate but if he’d just come out and apologised, said he got caught up in the moment, I think the whole thing could’ve been put to bed

Bizarre press conference/response has done for him

What about his strange celebration where he grabs his crotch?

Bad Boy

I'm not condoning what's gone on but I do think this touchy touchy huggy huggy stuff in most sports nowadays is totally and utterly unnecessary and can lead to the situation we're now discussing where people have an opportunity to behave inappropriately.

It wasn't that long ago we didn't want anyone within 2 metres of us.!

There's too much over familiarity.

What's wrong with a good old PROPER handshake (not this hand slapping stupidity we see) isn't that more pertinent?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread