Worse Owners (1 Viewer)

italiahorse

Tbf several times you've given a deadline for the end of your support. Xmas was one of those deadlines for sure.

Giving up attendance which is different to giving up support.
The majority of Coventry fans do not attend matches but they are still supporters.

For the record I attended the majority of away games including most the games after Xmas.
I think I am a typical fan and SISU need to be aware that every day supporters are finding other things to do.
Threatening them with stopping is all I can do in the vain hope they might notice little me.

Grendel

Giving up attendance which is different to giving up support.
The majority of Coventry fans do not attend matches but they are still supporters.

For the record I attended the majority of away games including most the games after Xmas.
I think I am a typical fan and SISU need to be aware that every day supporters are finding other things to do.
Threatening them with stopping is all I can do in the vain hope they might notice little me.

Like what? Go to more away games?

Grendel

I was there all through it. It almost went unnoticed at the time.
In fact I had forgotten it until you bought it up.

I do remember getting promoted to League 1 in 1967, being part of the 50,000+ crowd against wolves and the blow when Jimmy Hill left.

Oh dear

italiahorse

so you approved of;

A 12,000 stadium
Sales of clubs assets to support a franchise team
trying to change its name to Coventry Talbot

The majority wanted Hill out - did you not witness the demonstrations?

Is a discussion on football matters making you squirm -- you sound clueless on this issue.

Just for the record it was 21,000 not 12,000.
So don't call me clueless until you get your facts right. :facepalm:

Grendel

Just for the record it was 21,000 not 12,000.
So don't call me clueless until you get your facts right. :facepalm:

Ha ha ha you read Wiki -- that is wrong and you would know if you were a real fan -- the 21,000 was only available when the Kop was opened as an all seater stadium years later. Thats why gates collapsed. Their was a massive reducion in capacity. The kop was demolished and only about 10 rows of seating were permitted in the first season. Hill introduced a credit card season ticket and not a ticket book. Fans used to go in and chuck the ticket over the wall to let their mates in.

italiahorse

Ha ha ha you read Wiki -- that is wrong and you would know if you were a real fan -- the 21,000 was only available when the Kop was opened as an all seater stadium years later. Thats why gates collapsed. Their was a massive reducion in capacity. The kop was demolished and only about 10 rows of seating were permitted in the first season. Hill introduced a credit card season ticket and not a ticket book. Fans used to go in and chuck the ticket over the wall to let their mates in.

Don't know where you get your facts from.
The capacity was reduced from 37,000 to 21,000 when it went all seater under Jimmy Hill.

WIKI ? .................... No, I have the programmes.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Hill in his time as chairman / MD;

- Sanctioned ridiculous signings at (e.g. Collier/Jones)
- almost bankrupted the club with his decision to invest the clubs money in his American football team
- sold any player worth ten pence (other than Steve Hunt of course)
- wanted to change the clubs name and lodged a request with the football league
- created an abomination of an all seater stadium holding 12,000
- rumoured he wanted to move the club to the NEC

So yes he was a disaster
-

Getting bored of this shit now...

Firstly, you stated that Hills reign as chairman was as bad as sisus......clearly you are in a minority of 1 with that belief.

Taking your list of Hills "alleged" crimes against the club he modernised & took into the top flight...

1. Show me a chairmen of any club in any division in the world where every signing has been a success.
2. Poor decision. Innovators like Hill do make mistakes.
3. In order to re-coup some losses from 2.
4. Requested a temporary name change to get around the strict TV advertising rules & ban of the time......of course Hill was ahead of his time, as usual, by introducing a club sponsor in the first place....and one that was based in the city & provided employment to many of the fans was a good synergy...
5. All-seater....again he was ahead of his time. 12,000.. WRONG. ...capacity after seating development was a shade over 20,000. FACT.
6. Rumour...ha ha ha. Lets not even go there with that one.

Just admit your initial comment that Hill was AS BAD as Sisu was just wumming......if not, then I'm afraid you definitely are a tit.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

In 1981, the controversial decision was taken to convert Highfield Road into England’s first all-seater stadium and 8,000 extra seats were installed at a cost £400,000 reducing the capacity, at a stroke, from 36,500 to 20,600.

Just to back up Italiahorses' programmes....above is from From Jim Browns history of Highfield Road.

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

Firstly, you stated that Hills reign as chairman was as bad as sisus......clearly you are in a minority of 1 with that belief.

Taking your list of Hills "alleged" crimes against the club he modernised & took into the top flight...

1. Show me a chairmen of any club in any division in the world where every signing has been a success.
4. Requested a temporary name change to get around the strict TV advertising rules & ban of the time......of course Hill was ahead of his time, as usual, by introducing a club sponsor in the first place....and one that was based in the city & provided employment to many of the fans was a good synergy...
5. All-seater....again he was ahead of his time. 12,000.. WRONG. ...capacity after seating development was a shade over 20,000. FACT.

Just admit your initial comment that Hill was AS BAD as Sisu was just wumming......if not, then I'm afraid you definitely are a tit.

Technically of course he was never an owner. However, my argument stands that he was the second worsed chairman at the club in my time.

You say innovator I say chancer. He gambled with clubs finances and failed. He lost a whole army of successful players bought up through the youth academy and also many other players were sold with no adequate replacements.

He ripped up a perfectly adequate stadium and replaced it with an abomination which led to massively reduced attendances. I've had countless arguments over its capacity and yes 12,000 was quoted for an obvious reason but in the first dreadful season I sat in the East Stand and I can never accept that official figure. It was horrific and more money was spent ripping ot up. The stupid refusal to allow pay on gate admission and his stubbornness to persist with a failed policy led to gates below last season in the top flight.

By the end of his tenure the club had less than 20 professionals on the books and was bleeding money. Every player wanted out. The fans protest was very hostile and very large. The majority wanted rid of him.

That's not wumming that's an opinion based on fact. Just because he was a good manager doesn't make a jot of difference regarding his tenure at the club as chairman. In the same way Mcallister was a great player - he was a dross manager.

edward9

Everyone is fingerpointing at everyone else. The problem here is the whole structure of British football, it´s all corporatised like American sports. As long as money enters the owners could think less about the team and supporters. That is where we are now. Where do we go??? In Argentina, the football is run by non profit clubs. River, Boca JUniors, etc. are all clubs with management voted in by card carrying members who pay about 100 quid a year, and you get discounts on tickets, get to use the same sporting facilities as the team and get to chance to see some players and have a pint. British football is run by foreign opportunists, not by the those who pay admission like in Argentina. Yes there is corruption in Argentine football, but not incompetence like this in British football. Cheers everyone.

ollyservetta

Still don't buy it. Crowds were as low as 8,000 and when the issues occured at the Sky Blue Stand Worcester City wanted to switch the game as their ground had a larger capacity...anyway see attached for some comments on the era of Hill as Chaiman.

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/docs/TSO000000750001.pdf
,,,crowds at the time of the Worcester game in 83,gates were down to 10,000,at that time st georges lane capacity was just over 4500,there would have had to be one hell of a good reason to swap the venue ,if I remember it was all down to health and safety,those Worcester fans with tickets in the shut stand were put else where with no bother,great game as well ,true cup footie

shmmeee

Everyone is fingerpointing at everyone else. The problem here is the whole structure of British football, it´s all corporatised like American sports. As long as money enters the owners could think less about the team and supporters. That is where we are now. Where do we go??? In Argentina, the football is run by non profit clubs. River, Boca JUniors, etc. are all clubs with management voted in by card carrying members who pay about 100 quid a year, and you get discounts on tickets, get to use the same sporting facilities as the team and get to chance to see some players and have a pint. British football is run by foreign opportunists, not by the those who pay admission like in Argentina. Yes there is corruption in Argentine football, but not incompetence like this in British football. Cheers everyone.

Just another example of the British attitude since Thatcher of selling off everything to foreigners in the name of short term profit and hang the consequences.

"Britain is open for business" *rollseyes*

(To clarify: the political debate around the state has become so Americanised since the 80s that to suggest a government step in on something like this is tantamount to suggesting communist rule. The reason we will not see government step in on football ownership is the same reason we will see AstraZenica lose thousands of jobs, just like Cadburys before it. We're the only country in the world that does this apart from temporary military juntas, even the yanks don't really believe in it when it comes to the crunch.)

Last edited:

torchomatic

To be fair the name change - temporary or not was a shit idea. People complain about Hull Tigers too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

To be fair the name change - temporary or not was a shit idea. People complain about Hull Tigers too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thing is, it gets such a backlash because it breaks the unwritten rule that the fans really own the club. Same as the Wimbledon thing, same as Sixfields.

It will happen more and more unless government steps in and puts rules in around club ownership. The FA/FL have shown time and time again that the only thing that matters is the colour of your money.

stupot07

The only thing that sets sisu apart from others as the worst owners is the move to Northampton, but is that really worst that Wimbledon/MK Dons owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

shmmeee

The only thing that sets sisu apart from others as the worst owners is the move to Northampton, but is that really worst that Wimbledon/MK Dons owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Relegation? Running up huge debts? Appointing Ken Delieu? Threatening to sue their own fans (only done previously be the worst ever chairman)? Personally attacking fans?

They have a lot more to answer for than just Northampton.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

For someone who goes on about facts and evidence you are often inaccurate .

Highfield road was reduced in one go from about 38000 to 21000 for the start of the 1981-82 season. It was a bad mistake and many protests against Southampton for last game of 80-81 season. First game against in new all seater was Man U was about 20 000 crowd, We won with Steve Whitton scoring in a 2-1 win. Crowds dropped a lot after that. No need for me to check internet I know these things.

Jimmy Hill did some things that I disagreed with a lot in his reign as chief exec in the late 70's. It was just slightly before my time his first very successful stint then as manager. I personally was glad to see him leave in the 80's. However I firmly believe he did things that he believed rightly or wrongly, to be for the good of Coventry and its supporters. You can NEVER say that about SISU.

All the best to you Jimmy!

TurkeyTrot

For someone who goes on about facts and evidence you are often inaccurate .

Highfield road was reduced in one go from about 38000 to 21000 for the start of the 1981-82 season. It was a bad mistake and many protests against Southampton for last game of 80-81 season. First game against in new all seater was Man U was about 20 000 crowd, We won with Steve Whitton scoring in a 2-1 win. Crowds dropped a lot after that. No need for me to check internet I know these things.

Jimmy Hill did some things that I disagreed with a lot in his reign as chief exec in the late 70's. It was just slightly before my time his first very successful stint then as manager. I personally was glad to see him leave in the 80's. However I firmly believe he did things that he believed rightly or wrongly, to be for the good of Coventry and its supporters. You can NEVER say that about SISU.

All the best to you Jimmy!

When did he kick out the supporters club so they had to move to the old 1925 club?

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Still don't buy it. Crowds were as low as 8,000 and when the issues occured at the Sky Blue Stand Worcester City wanted to switch the game as their ground had a larger capacity...anyway see attached for some comments on the era of Hill as Chaiman.

I was at the Worcester 3-1 victory. There was a temporary problem with the Sky Blue stand that was closed due to some structural damage. Pretty sure Worcester took the lead.

Huge crowd and capacity that day relative to todays shambolic situation.

skybluetony176

Yeah, Winkleman has to be up there holding sisu's hand. The other common denominator being an inept governing body.

stupot07

Relegation? Running up huge debts? Appointing Ken Delieu? Threatening to sue their own fans (only done previously be the worst ever chairman)? Personally attacking fans?

They have a lot more to answer for than just Northampton.

Never said they hadn't got a lot to answer for, just said that other clubs owners (Northampton aside) had done similar things - relegations, running up huge debts, administration, buying a club out of administration then entering administration again within a year, buying a club then getting done for fraud, selling best players.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Just read the document in the link. Absolutely fascinating reading genuinely. Pretty sure I completed the survey form enclosed in the report one of the games. I was in the under 20's category. Gosh I wish that was still possible!

shmmeee

Never said they hadn't got a lot to answer for, just said that other clubs owners (Northampton aside) had done similar things - relegations, running up huge debts, administration, buying a club out of administration then entering administration again within a year, buying a club then getting done for fraud, selling best players.

Yeah, sorry. I misread your intention.

Moff

I was at the Worcester 3-1 victory. There was a temporary problem with the Sky Blue stand that was closed due to some structural damage. Pretty sure Worcester took the lead.

Huge crowd and capacity that day relative to todays shambolic situation.

I seem to remember part of the Sky Blue Stand Roof collapsed on a non match day, at the West Stand end, and they had to shut it for a while.

I was at the Worcetser game as well. We did go behind, Sealy gave away a penalty at a corner, which they scored. I cant remember who scored any of ours, just that we didnt have the embarrassment of losing to a non league team...sadly that came another day.

cloughie

you are factually correct in all you say except the 'tit' comment which is a rather generous

wingy

Looking back a t that 3 point innovation ,only one Prem title would have been affected had It not happened ,94-95 where UTD would have taken It from Blackburn on GD.

Applied retrospectively we would have finished runners up rather than champions In our Div 3 and Div2 winning yrs .

Took around 15 yrs to be fully adopted around the globe .

italiahorse

Users who are viewing this thread