Worst paid job in the UK? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Worked my entire life since the age of 16 and never been out of work for more than a couple of weeks ... until I lost my job in July this year that is.

Been applying for all sorts and getting nowhere and am now scraping the bottom of the barrel. Santa's Grotto, sandwich delivery driver, picking and packing etc. etc.

Anyway, to get to the point I worked for the first day today since July and the job in question was as a Service Checker (basically a modern day posh name for a Mystery Shopper). Go into a shop or store or establishment, observe, make sure all rules are adhered to, that the staff are polite, efficient, fast etc.

Got the instruction yesterday to do the check today and it was just a one off for a posh clothing store and I had to go to Brum. The fee they were paying me was £15. But, for that I had to download and print off 23 pages of info and instruction that I had to learn and memorize. Lots of specific instruction in regard to this one particular company and things I had to look out for a report on. I also had to make a purchase of £5 that formed part of the £15.

It took me about an hour and a half to read up on, digest and memorize the specific instructions and order of events and what I needed to ask and observe upon.

In summation, the £15 payment and day broke down as follows;

1.5 hours preparation last night.

1 hour preparation this morning.

Train to Brum - £4.60

Purchase of item I didn't want - £5 (basically ONE pair of children's socks and not even especially nice socks at that and not that good a quality)

30 minutes in the store.

3 hours of compiling the subsequent report and answering a 91 question questionnaire.

So, £15, less tax, less the £5 for the purchase, less £4.60 train fare. I reckon that works out at £3.40 for a day's work.

Anyone beat that?

:thinking about::facepalm:

Otis

Come on though, let's face it, you're a student. I bet you did fook all that 1 hour! :D

Otis

And now the fookers have just emailed me another one! :facepalm:

Leshtur to John Lewis. They are going to pay me £12. no purchase required.

Hmmmm, let me think. Estimated petrol cost = £5.52 each way, that's £11.04. That means a days work for 96p. It's a job that just keeps giving and giving! :D:D:D:facepalm:

Covstu

that sounds shit Otis!!!i used to do the mystery pub shopper, they paid me to drink it was great!!!

Otis

Oops, forgot the car park charges. Let's say it will be £2 for 1 hour.

That means I will owe them £1.04.

Do you think they would accept a cheque?

Marty

When I was doing my apprenticeship I done the first month for free, had to pay for my own petrol an everything. Worked out best in the end and glad i stuck with it, Out of work now though, so will do anything, please someone give me a job. ;)

Otis

Your joking right Otis?

I wish I was. I am deadly serious. They will pay me £15 for today's work, but as I say I had to make a purchase of £5 even though I didn't want anything from the poxy shop. They had a plain green jumper which I had to try on as part of the check. It had no pattern, no markings, was really thin and baggy and looked like it was worth about 7 or 8 quid. It cost £80!!!

A very light rain jacket with a zip, plasticky looking thing ... £160!! :facepalm: In the end I just bought a pair of socks. I did ask for one only but they insisted on selling me the pair.

The offer for the Leshtur job is £12. I have just politely turned them down. :D

Sky Blue Sheepy

I know no 1 will like this answer, but the City Council are in the middle of setting up a Business Admin hub. Basically they've taken the admin staff out of each individual teams and formed areas with admin staff. Still in it's infancy, but they're still recruiting for some areas across the city (largely City centre but some out in Whitley Depot for example).

The money ranges from around £10-15k per annum but I could have a look at what's going if you're needing work?

Otis

I am indeed! Thank you. :claping hands: I am not entitled to any benefits at all so am currently living off raindrops from the guttering and acorn sandwiches.

Without the sandwich bit of course.

Marty

I know no 1 will like this answer, but the City Council are in the middle of setting up a Business Admin hub. Basically they've taken the admin staff out of each individual teams and formed areas with admin staff. Still in it's infancy, but they're still recruiting for some areas across the city (largely City centre but some out in Whitley Depot for example).

The money ranges from around £10-15k per annum but I could have a look at what's going if you're needing work?

Yes please,

I'm like Otis, I'm not eligible for benefits either, pay into the system for years and when you need a bit of help for the first time, they pritty much tell you to piss off. :mad:

Otis

Indeed. What really pees me off is that I still have to sign on every two weeks and they give me loads of stick about getting a job and have no sympathy whatsoever. I do keep reminding them that they aren't giving me a single bean!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My missus used to work in Tile Hill Job Centre. She used to HATE having to tell people they weren't entitled to this or that. Between you, me and the brick wall, she often wouldn't say if there was a bit of a discrepency in a claim. Some of the obvious, let's say "work-shy", she could tell at a glance, but genuine people like Otis and Marty sound like, she would go out of her way to help.
She was so pleased to retire and get out of there. My sympathies go out to you guys looking for work. I've been there.

Marty

Indeed. What really pees me off is that I still have to sign on every two weeks and they give me loads of stick about getting a job and have no sympathy whatsoever. I do keep reminding them that they aren't giving me a single bean!!

I just told them to not bother in the end, I was like whats the point in me coming to you every few weeks if you're just going to waste my time. I guess people like you and me are the rare ones who actually want to work. Some of the people who are 'looking' for work are a disgrace, wearing trackie bottoms with holes everywhere in them, looking like tramps. Doesn't take a lot to make a bit of effort.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Further to my last post, I was threatened with the security blokes down here in the Newport Job Centre, simply because I said it was a total waste of time sending me on a course on how to look for a job! I'm nearly 60 FFS!!!! The signing-on woman said she was refusing to sign me on that week because of what I had said! Then she called over two burly security blokes to get me chucked out! I told them that if they laid a finger on me I would be suing the arse off them. I had my missus with me as witness. I politely refused to leave and demanded to see the manager. He had heard of me previously because I had previously written a letter of complaint about how I had been treated on an earlier visit. The manager knew that my missus was ex-DWP and said he would see me personally. He later apologised for the staff member and said I would be treated with more dignity and respect in future. I never went back to sign on. We both now live on our pensions! Sweet!
Moral: Don't mess with the Houch!! ;)

Otis

Further to my last post, I was threatened with the security blokes down here in the Newport Job Centre, simply because I said it was a total waste of time sending me on a course on how to look for a job! I'm nearly 60 FFS!!!! The signing-on woman said she was refusing to sign me on that week because of what I had said! Then she called over two burly security blokes to get me chucked out! I told them that if they laid a finger on me I would be suing the arse off them. I had my missus with me as witness. I politely refused to leave and demanded to see the manager. He had heard of me previously because I had previously written a letter of complaint about how I had been treated on an earlier visit. The manager knew that my missus was ex-DWP and said he would see me personally. He later apologised for the staff member and said I would be treated with more dignity and respect in future. I never went back to sign on. We both now live on our pensions! Sweet!
Moral: Don't mess with the Houch!! ;)

Are you free a week tomorrow about 1.15 p.m., Cofa Court, ground floor? ;)

egastap

When I started my apprenticeship, I was paid two pounds nine shillings and sixpence..........a WEEK! That's, say, 2 pounds fifty divided by 40, equals 6 and a quarter PENCE PER HOUR!
And I did this for 5 years!

Houchens Head

When I started my apprenticeship, I was paid two pounds nine shillings and sixpence..........a WEEK! That's, say, 2 pounds fifty divided by 40, equals 6 and a quarter PENCE PER HOUR!
And I did this for 5 years!

My first wage was in 1968 stacking shelves in a supermarket in Essex where I lived for a couple of years. I was 15 and earned £5. 10/- 3d per week.
That was for 6 days work! (For all you youngsters that's £5.51½p A WEEK!) ;) I missed out on being a highly paid apprentice Egastap!! :D

Marty

Unipart in Nuneaton are taking on. It's aight.

I just phoned them and looked on the internet and said they aren't at the minute. Do you know if it's just agency staff they are taking on??

Otis

I just phoned them and looked on the internet and said they aren't at the minute. Do you know if it's just agency staff they are taking on??

Right 4 Staff. Check with them. They are saying they have the vacancies.

CovInEssex

This.

It is agency, but it's long term. People have been their years are they are taking on ATM because they have loads of new work coming October.

egastap

My first wage was in 1968 stacking shelves in a supermarket in Essex where I lived for a couple of years. I was 15 and earned £5. 10/- 3d per week.
That was for 6 days work! (For all you youngsters that's £5.51½p A WEEK!) ;) I missed out on being a highly paid apprentice Egastap!! :D

Yeah Houch.....I started at Dunlop in Holbrooks in 1963. Guess a lot of our younger posters have no idea what it was like back then. But do you know, I wouldn't mind going back in time to those days....it was the best time of my life.......Sky Blues were going upwards, England had won the World Cup, Coventry Rugby was one of the best teams in the land. LG...Life was good!

Last edited:
I started my apprenticeship in 2000 I was on £150 per week. Oh to get back in at Jaguar. I loved that place, but cause I don't have a degree I can't get back in. They have loads of jobs going too.

Marty

I've just called Unipart & Right 4 Staff again and they are saying they have nothing available still. Whats numbers are you ringing??

I got Right 4 staff: 02476 257070 & Unipart 024 76648313

Otis

http://www.right4staff.com/Warehouse-Administrator-job-6973/

Maybe it's an old link. There is no date against it.

vacancy details

Job Reference: ADM001
Job Title: Warehouse Administrator
Salary/Rate: £7 per hour
Location: Unipart Technology Logistics 12 Hamilton Way Bermuda Park Nuneaton CV10 7RL
Duration : Potentially permanent
Sector : Manufacturing/Production
Job Description : Working in a busy office in a warehouse environment you will have a busy and varied role.

You will be dealing with customers on the phone, booking jobs into their in-house computer system and liaising with both the goods in and goods out department. A good working knowledge of Excel is required as is a general aptitude for dealing with both figures and people.

Full training will be given for this long term temporary role. Please do not apply if you are in a permanent job already as this position starts immediately.

Consultant : Nathan Barrington
Contact Number: 02476 648314

Back to results

you would probably need to speak with a polish tone, we have a contract with a few companies up magna park, i swear when i go in to repair vehicles/equipment im the only english speaker there, Good Luck guys!

- this time of year the post office/parcel force take on for the start of the xmas period, many friends of mine have gone through this route to become permanent staff

Users who are viewing this thread