Would you be angry if it was your child? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Missskyblueteacher
  • Start date

fernandopartridge

Just let them go but make clear that they should go at lunchtime and you're making an exception to the rule.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

I remember my first few weeks as a five yr old in the classroom of very frosty strict headmistress (Mrs Richardson).
Either being too nervous, timid, overawed I produced a puddle got pulled out to her desk and violently shaken, she lost grip of me and as I tumbled my head smacked on the desk.
I can't remember If anything happened as a result.
Can also remember being stood in the corner arms outstretched and heavy books sitting on my palms for twenty minutes, probably 8 at the time.
You turned out alright didn't you

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Johnnythespider

I teach year 2 and don't let children go to the toilet during lesson time. One of the mums complained as I wouldn't let her daughter go yesterday afternoon. She asked on her way in from lunch. Would you be bothered by my policy?
Shouldn't you still be working at 3:24 pm. I think you've been a bit heavy handed, it was as the child was coming in from lunch not halfway through a lesson.

skybluegod

That is different. If you let one child go they all need a wee.It is easier just to say no.

No it doesn’t. That is just an irrational claim.
The last lesson I was in, one kid asked to go, he went, he was told to go at lunch time if he can, and then that was that.
You don’t have to pause the lesson while they go, if they miss 30 seconds of the lesson while they wee, then that’s that.

hill83

They would be if they were actually a teacher. Pretty sure they wouldn't go on a football forum to ask strangers about their teaching approach

tumblr_mleeciKRe31qe5qhlo1_400.gif

mechaishida

Considering how slack and inattentive the nursery system can be in my county, I do appreciate the conditions that teachers are under where security and safety are concerned.

Both my eldest, who is year 1, and my youngest who is just starting full time nursery, are surrounded by Fort Knox-esque security gates and intercoms, which is comforting. In these sites, known parents are not even permitted to go through the building unattended.

The times we live in, eh? But since my daughter is nearly 6 and often leaves school at home time bursting to go, I think some protocols have to be flexible.

Covstu

I have a daughter in year 2 (no we haven’t complained!) but I do sort of understand what is trying to be achieved particularly when kids will use it as an excuse to dodge work that might be difficult.

Astute

Considering how slack and inattentive the nursery system can be in my county, I do appreciate the conditions that teachers are under where security and safety are concerned.

Both my eldest, who is year 1, and my youngest who is just starting full time nursery, are surrounded by Fort Knox-esque security gates and intercoms, which is comforting. In these sites, known parents are not even permitted to go through the building unattended.

The times we live in, eh? But since my daughter is nearly 6 and often leaves school at home time bursting to go, I think some protocols have to be flexible.
Things were worse years ago. It is just that it was kept quiet then.

Now, especially with the internet, a lot more is known. Look at how much has come out in recent years. Even priests were at it.

Nick

Administrator
It’s definately a wind up. Not sure of the point being made though.

It's obvious, kids should have a wee in their own time and not the teachers.

The forum spam is on going to get the message out there.

richnrg

are you insinuating that James Maddison chose to leave for Norwich because Tony Mowbray wouldn't let him have a shit at half time?

oakey

Primary, yes, let them go. Secondary, no way Jose. I can promise you the second I let one child go, the procession begins.
One class in the afternoon I used to teach. First kid toilet request NO. Next kid in row after whispering, Can I fill my water bottle? NO. Whispering. Next kid I need to fill my water bottle to take my tablet, and I have to go to reception for my meds. OK. I need to take my friend (first kid) NO GO ALONE. Fourth kid, I'll take her. HESITATE ... FATAL MISTAKE. Four kids, Can you fill my water bottle when you go? OK but be quick. Scribble note and sign. 5 minutes lesson time wasted. Several others, Can I go when she comes back? NO. Why? NO. I can't do any work as I'm bursting, dehydrated, hot, dizzy, feeling a bit sick.
Kid leaves and is brought back TWENTY MINUTES later by deputy head. Why was she out of lesson? Why was she chucking water bottles?
Next lesson similar but this time another kid returns with water bottles which then get ACCIDENTALLY spilled all over 4 kids who all demand to go to loo to dry themselves. Argument about whose fault it is, who should clear up. Cannot do any work as my book is wet.
I could go on.

Gazolba

I teach year 2 and don't let children go to the toilet during lesson time. One of the mums complained as I wouldn't let her daughter go yesterday afternoon. She asked on her way in from lunch. Would you be bothered by my policy?
So they just do it in their pants?

Otis

Primary, yes, let them go. Secondary, no way Jose. I can promise you the second I let one child go, the procession begins.
One class in the afternoon I used to teach. First kid toilet request NO. Next kid in row after whispering, Can I fill my water bottle? NO. Whispering. Next kid I need to fill my water bottle to take my tablet, and I have to go to reception for my meds. OK. I need to take my friend (first kid) NO GO ALONE. Fourth kid, I'll take her. HESITATE ... FATAL MISTAKE. Four kids, Can you fill my water bottle when you go? OK but be quick. Scribble note and sign. 5 minutes lesson time wasted. Several others, Can I go when she comes back? NO. Why? NO. I can't do any work as I'm bursting, dehydrated, hot, dizzy, feeling a bit sick.
Kid leaves and is brought back TWENTY MINUTES later by deputy head. Why was she out of lesson? Why was she chucking water bottles?
Next lesson similar but this time another kid returns with water bottles which then get ACCIDENTALLY spilled all over 4 kids who all demand to go to loo to dry themselves. Argument about whose fault it is, who should clear up. Cannot do any work as my book is wet.
I could go on.
Yep, but as has been said, this is primary school and year 2.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

In KS1 they should be able to go during lesson time. They are not relentlessly being driven through Literacy and numeracy as they are in year 5 and 6 and a lot of what they learn is through play and practical work, so 2 minutes out won't do any harm. The afternoons are particularly light in many schools for youngsters, where the kids play with toys, share, do show and tell etc, and have an extra break that KS2 do not .
Children do get into the habit of going to the toilet unnecessarily and if left unchecked this can become a distraction when they get to year 4 and beyond. Common sense would say talk to the parents if their children need to go several times a day. There may be reasons for it which you are unaware of.
Many years ago I taught a class of year 3s. Immediately after lunch , the twins in my class would almost always fall asleep for half an hour. I let them curl up in the corner on a big cushion. They lived on a farm nearby and had a ridiculous walk to school each day and were up at 6am. They were knackered and fit for nothing. If I tried to stop this , they became irritable and disruptive, so I okayed it with the head and it worked out fine.
If a child eventually wets themselves, you'll be in a whole heap of trouble. It's not really worth it in KS1

Alan Dugdales Moustache

...teachers are a pain in the arse and parents haven't got a bloody clue.

Users who are viewing this thread