Match Thread Wycombe (3 Viewers)

Johhny Blue

Long old season, Forest, Derby and possibly Wednesday will try and buy their way out of trouble in January if at all possible, so I want as big a gap as possible before any of them strengthen. That said, it will be hard for the likes of Sheff Wed to recruit strongly when they're bottom of the league.
I did think about that and added “ right now” to my initial thoughts

capel & collindridge

I think this assessment from the Wycombe forum is the fairest comment I think I've seen on an opposition fan site. Just imagine if this spirit of commendable fair-minded decency were to invade SBT like Japanese knotweed, what Sky Blue wisdom might we suddenly find sprouting up here - and emerging from whose lips?

There's a bit of blue-tinted glasses going on here with complaints about opposition fouling. Yes, it's frustrating when they do it, but watching each match on iFollow really brings home how much we do it too.

Whether it's Samuel and Kashket diving, Bayo wrestling, players giving the odd shove off the ball to wind the opposition up, or playing for the foul and going down at the slightest touch, we're as guilty as any team we've played against. The only element we've eradicated from our game is time wasting, for obvious reasons.

I suspect we come with a reputation, opposition players look to exploit that and referees are more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt then perhaps they should, but let's not pretend we've made a Damascene conversion from the dark arts to the Corinthian spirit now we've reached the Championship.

Frostie

A lot of Wycombe fans seem pretty reasonable about it all.
Shame the same couldn't be said of Ainsworth but I think he's just trying to instill the Us v The World ethic in them.

capel & collindridge

Shame the same couldn't be said of Ainsworth but I think he's just trying to instill the Us v The World ethic in them.
I agree.

But didn't know Ronaldo, Messi and co. were due to play at Wycombe? Probably a predictable win for The World, but could they do this while still keeping the ball on the deck? At least 0-3 I reckon, but think they may need to lump it forward a few times too, just to demonstrate their all-round superiority.

I hope it's on iFollow.

Nick

Administrator

He should probably concentrate on managing rather than getting hyped up because he has long hair and a leather jacket.

Johhny Blue

Just spent 5 mins watching and freeze framing Wycombe's offside call. I'm positive he was onside. The linesman is directly in line with their forward and crouched alert. Bad call but it's about time one of those went our way.
NEXT

Magwitch

Just spent 5 mins watching and freeze framing Wycombe's offside call. I'm positive he was onside. The linesman is directly in line with their forward and crouched alert. Bad call but it's about time one of those went our way.
NEXT
He does look onside from the tv view and in fairness to the Lino he looked in line, but we see almost every week goals ruled out because part of a leg or shoulder or chest or head back is in offside position, just wonder what var view would have been. Having said that I’m not pro var and wouldn’t have been complaining had the goal stood.

cov donkey kick

Offside, onside who cares we got 3 big away pionts and they maybe the difference come end of season staying up, as for ainsworth he thinks he's a rockstar that's landed a managers job in football and to be fair he's done an OK job.
For Robins and sky blues it was job done. Pusb

Skyblueweeman

I think this assessment from the Wycombe forum is the fairest comment I think I've seen on an opposition fan site. Just imagine if this spirit of commendable fair-minded decency were to invade SBT like Japanese knotweed, what Sky Blue wisdom might we suddenly find sprouting up here - and emerging from whose lips?

There's a bit of blue-tinted glasses going on here with complaints about opposition fouling. Yes, it's frustrating when they do it, but watching each match on iFollow really brings home how much we do it too.

Whether it's Samuel and Kashket diving, Bayo wrestling, players giving the odd shove off the ball to wind the opposition up, or playing for the foul and going down at the slightest touch, we're as guilty as any team we've played against. The only element we've eradicated from our game is time wasting, for obvious reasons.

I suspect we come with a reputation, opposition players look to exploit that and referees are more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt then perhaps they should, but let's not pretend we've made a Damascene conversion from the dark arts to the Corinthian spirit now we've reached the Championship.

Yeah, but no one has the eloquence or vocabulary to write stuff like that on here.

Innit m8.

NortonSkyBlue

Offside, onside who cares we got 3 big away pionts and they maybe the difference come end of season staying up, as for ainsworth he thinks he's a rockstar that's landed a managers job in football and to be fair he's done an OK job.
For Robins and sky blues it was job done. Pusb
I am no fan of the Wycombe style of play but to say that Ainsworth has done okay is damning him with faint praise. He has done something that is truly remarkable. If he was more conventional he would be in line for a premier league job with his record.

SleepyGinger

I am no fan of the Wycombe style of play but to say that Ainsworth has done okay is damning him with faint praise. He has done something that is truly remarkable. If he was more conventional he would be in line for a premier league job with his record.
Agreed, we praise robins for what he’s done with us and rightly so but they have done the same with less resources.

Jamesimus

They've got much better schools down there. Who else had to Google "damascene" and "Corinthian spirit"? 🤣

Londonccfcfan

Agreed, we praise robins for what he’s done with us and rightly so but they have done the same with less resources.

Well not exactly the same. They are odds on for relegation.

This is without doubt their ceiling for the foreseeable future. With the size of clubs in league 1 and in league 2 they will struggle to get back into the championship.

Add the fact that many dont think they deserved a place on PPG in the first place.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Well not exactly the same. They are odds on for relegation.

This is without doubt their ceiling for the foreseeable future. With the size of clubs in league 1 and in league 2 they will struggle to get back into the championship.

Add the fact that many dont think they deserved a place on PPG in the first place.

Anyone who genuinely believes they deserved promotion needs to give their heads a wobble. They were on a downward trajectory and were nailed on to finish mid-table given their drop in form from mid-December onwards. Out of 14 games they won only 5, lost 8 and drew once.

Brighton Sky Blue

Anyone who genuinely believes they deserved promotion needs to give their heads a wobble. They were on a downward trajectory and were nailed on to finish mid-table given their drop in form from mid-December onwards. 5 wins out of 14 games, 8 of those being losses.

If that’s the case then they should have been turned over in the play offs

NortonSkyBlue

Anyone who genuinely believes they deserved promotion needs to give their heads a wobble. They were on a downward trajectory and were nailed on to finish mid-table given their drop in form from mid-December onwards. Out of 14 games they won only 5, lost 8 and drew once.
You are aware that this is not the giants of Sunderland, Ipswich or Portsmouth but Wycombe Wanderers and whatever the equation they won the play off in the same way that we did in league 2. Give some credit where it is due, they are punching well above their weight in the same way that Burton did and will probably go back down but it really doesn’t take that much to acknowledge that this is an almighty achievement.

KenilworthSkyBlue

You are aware that this is not the giants of Sunderland, Ipswich or Portsmouth but Wycombe Wanderers and whatever the equation they won the play off in the same way that we did in league 2. Give some credit where it is due, they are punching well above their weight in the same way that Burton did and will probably go back down but it really doesn’t take that much to acknowledge that this is an almighty achievement.

It's not really an almighty achievement though is it. Wycombe were nothing more than incredibly lucky. They were promoted off the back of a successful half season at the expense of others such as Peterborough who genuinely deserved it at the time based on their current form.

It's highly unlikely they would have been in the play-offs come the end of the season if Covid hadn't hit. So, demanding I give credit where it's due is nonsensical.

NortonSkyBlue

It's not really an almighty achievement though is it. Wycombe were nothing more than incredibly lucky. They were promoted off the back of a successful half season at the expense of others such as Peterborough who genuinely deserved it at the time based on their current form.

It's highly unlikely they would have been in the play-offs come the end of the season if Covid hadn't hit. So, demanding I give credit where it's due is nonsensical.
I haven’t demanded anything from you. I see that you believe the earth is flat so I won’t carry on.

Skybluefaz

Wycombe were lucky but ultimately came through and are in the Championship for the first time in their history so rightly Ainsworth should be applauded for achieving that. It's still valid to acknowledge they were dropping off rapidly in league one.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I haven’t demanded anything from you. I see that you believe the earth is flat so I won’t carry on.

Ainsworth has done a brilliant job at Wycombe. There's no denying that.

But surely you can't believe their place in the Championship is deserved when their form during the second half of last season suggests otherwise. Slightly rich you inferring I'm a flat earther when you're the one ignoring blatent evidence. 'If the shoe fits' is an apt phrase that comes to mind in this scenario.

Sky Blue Harry H

Agreed. Should have been Sunderland that were promoted😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂⚽

Brighton Sky Blue

Ainsworth has done a brilliant job at Wycombe. There's no denying that.

But surely you can't believe their place in the Championship is deserved when their form during the second half of last season suggests otherwise. Slightly rich you inferring I'm a flat earther when you're the one ignoring blatent evidence. 'If the shoe fits' is an apt phrase that comes to mind in this scenario.

As I keep saying if they’re as bad as you say then Fleetwood or Oxford should have beat them.

robbiethemole

They must be the worst moaners in the feckin league tho, still arguing amongst themselves over the dis-allowed offside goal ffs.

Surely they need to get excuses ready for tonights game against Bournemouth??

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Wycombe were ultimately lucky that we made the 4th round of the cup. If they’d have played our game at St. Andrews We’d have beaten them, and they’d have finished 8th

that being said - PPG meant they entered the play offs and won them.They had a chance and took it

KenilworthSkyBlue

As I keep saying if they’re as bad as you say then Fleetwood or Oxford should have beat them.

Fair enough they came away from the play-offs as victors but the fact remains they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

For context, they also lost to both Fleetwood and Oxford during the second half of the season. Just goes to show that play-offs are a lottery.

Last edited:

SleepyGinger

Wycombe were ultimately lucky that we made the 4th round of the cup. If they’d have played our game at St. Andrews We’d have beaten them, and they’d have finished 8th

that being said - PPG meant they entered the play offs and won them.They had a chance and took it

If that Callum ohare last minute header goes in they probably don’t make the play offs😂

fernandopartridge

They're not incredibly lucky, the PPG applied to them in the same way it did for anyone else. They still had to play 3 play off games and came out on top.

Users who are viewing this thread