Match Thread Wycombe (3 Viewers)

SeaSeeEffCee

The worst bit about yesterday is that if you read the Wycombe fans view they're all saying they were shite even by their standards and we still couldn't beat them.

Terry Gibson's perm

The worst bit about yesterday is that if you read the Wycombe fans view they're all saying they were shite even by their standards and we still couldn't beat them.

They are predictable sit deep kick ball up field and chase and try to get a set piece goal. After 80 minutes bring on fat bloke. I think though we should sign Jacobson the left back off them.

Grendel

You don't think Robins knows that? He actively tried to offload him in the summer don't forget.

The fact is, due to fitness issues with Walker & Godden coupled with under performance from the likes of Bakayoko & Gyökeres he's been forced to give Biamou a far bigger part than we wanted.

The fact he extended Bakayoko and signed Gyorkes isn’t his fault?

Also hasn’t he said he will probably offer biamou yet another deal which will make him the longest serving player here?

Briles

I think you’ve misunderstood “weird flex” tragically but points for trying

It is a weird flex as you clearly get off on slating him. You're boasting about him being shit.

Legia Sky Blue

They are predictable sit deep kick ball up field and chase and try to get a set piece goal. After 80 minutes bring on fat bloke. I think though we should sign Jacobson the left back off them.

Jacobson is one of those players that looks like a decent signing on paper, but in reality would turn out to be a dud. He has a sweet left foot and delivers a good dead ball which suits Wycombe's game completely. However, he is painfully slow and outside of set pieces he cannot get forward enough to play the way we would want him to.

Frostie

Also hasn’t he said he will probably offer biamou yet another deal which will make him the longest serving player here?

Bit simplistic but where did I say Baka/Gyökeres wasn't his fault? But if budget wasn't there or there wasn't better available then not completely on him.
Fwiw, I fully understand keeping Baka in the summer. In hindsight it hasn't worked at all but it should have been he either contributes to the team (sadly didn't happen) or he's a saleable asset. We could have sold him in January but didn't due to injuries.

Yes, due to what he's contributed this season he's thought Biamou now might be worth keeping as 4th choice at best. I personally don't agree but again, is there better available on less money who's content with that role? Not sure.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If he's the fourth choice I see no problem with that. Trouble is this season he's effectively been first choice due to injury, tactics and others being even poorer.

I doubt there's many on here that think Biamou is anything more than a squad filler at this level but he's having to play a much bigger role than anyone, including MR, thinks he should.

Grendel

If he's the fourth choice I see no problem with that. Trouble is this season he's effectively been first choice due to injury, tactics and others being even poorer.

I doubt there's many on here that think Biamou is anything more than a squad filler at this level but he's having to play a much bigger role than anyone, including MR, thinks he should.

How many 4th choices are 31 next season in this league? Hardly a development strategy is it?

Terry Gibson's perm

Jacobson is one of those players that looks like a decent signing on paper, but in reality would turn out to be a dud. He has a sweet left foot and delivers a good dead ball which suits Wycombe's game completely. However, he is painfully slow and outside of set pieces he cannot get forward enough to play the way we would want him to.

I would be tempted to play him on the left of the three not as a wing back.

Terry Gibson's perm

Biamou would be fourth or fifth choice in a side that plays one striker it would be a waste of money, you would be hoping that the young boy who is scoring in the youth side Nee is pushed forward if we get that low.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How many 4th choices are 31 next season in this league? Hardly a development strategy is it?

You have your first two, then a third to cover if one is injured. If that happens Biamou comes on the bench.

With the large benches now you have one 'first team squad' striker to try and effect the game if necessary and a development striker to bring on for experience if you're winning comfortably or maybe give five minutes to be a hero in a game you need a goal.

Fact is Biamou has played the most out of all our strikers despite starting fourth choice, which shows you need that many to cover injuries/form etc. Or are you saying we should put Bremang, Tavares or Nee on instead? We're not the likes of Man City who can afford to give youngsters many first team minutes because we know there's going to be games we can lay off because we're winning comfortably.

D

Deleted member 11652

You have your first two, then a third to cover if one is injured. If that happens Biamou comes on the bench.

With the large benches now you have one 'first team squad' striker to try and effect the game if necessary and a development striker to bring on for experience if you're winning comfortably or maybe give five minutes to be a hero in a game you need a goal.

Fact is Biamou has played the most out of all our strikers despite starting fourth choice, which shows you need that many to cover injuries/form etc. Or are you saying we should put Bremang, Tavares or Nee on instead? We're not the likes of Man City who can afford to give youngsters many first team minutes because we know there's going to be games we can lay off because we're winning comfortably.

Yesterday, we had Walker, Godden, Bakayoko and Gyokeres available. Robins chose to play Biamou. We need to stop talking like he’s been forced to play.

D

Deleted member 11652

Walker and Gooden are not fit and Biamou is better than the other two. It's not difficult.

So why did we sign Gyokeres? I don’t think Biamou is better than Bakayoko either but I understand most do.

Also where has it been said Walker isn’t fit?

JeffB

As a follower of Coventry since childhood in the 1960s I hope this provides some comfort to those fans tearing their hair out over the result yesterday. I know several contributors have no time for history and I can understand this but it is amazing how it seems to repeat itself for our club. I can remember our last time in the Championship when Rotherham were rock bottom and bigger whipping boys than Wycombe 0-0. Or some might remember the entire footballing world feeling sorry for Carlton Palmer and the hapless Stockport County who were and still are one of the worst 2nd tier football clubs and who were routinely hammered by others; result 0-0. In the late 70,s when Wallace and Ferguson were banging the goals in and we played host to Newcastle who arrived at Highfield Road one Tuesday evening hopelessly adrift at the foot of the league fully prepared for a thrashing, 0-0.

It would be wonderful if we could do a Barrow and sprint away from the relegation dogfight with a run of victories but we all know that if we persuaded our remaining opponents to play blindfolded it would still end in a nail biting, stressful last day drama. However history tells us that we prevail in last day nail biting dramas and I have every confidence that we will end up 21st, our favourite finishing place in history; one place above the drop zone.

We have some remaining fixtures where we traditionally do incredibly badly; Preston and Bristol City spring to mind so there are bound to be more desperate days until the end of the season but my experience has always been that when you abandon all hope and resign yourself to the inevitable they pull off the least expected and make the escape all the more exhilarating. This is the price we all pay for supporting and loving our club.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yesterday, we had Walker, Godden, Bakayoko and Gyokeres available. Robins chose to play Biamou. We need to stop talking like he’s been forced to play.

Godden not fit enough to start. Walker isn't a lone front man (though he should've started against a team like Wycombe). Baka and Gyo not looked great and certainly not any better than Biamou.

Yesterday it was a choice. IMO the wrong one (certainly on his own at least).

Grendel

he’s not 4th choice he’s 3rd choice and answer the question - how many championship clubs would offer a 31 year old a contract as a 4th choice striker? We have a back 3 would you offer Mcfazdean a deal if we decided he was 6th choice?

better days

he’s not 4th choice he’s 3rd choice and answer the question - how many championship clubs would offer a 31 year old a contract as a 4th choice striker? We have a back 3 would you offer Mcfazdean a deal if we decided he was 6th choice?
Actually he was well down the pecking order in January and from what I understand he was told he could leave if he found a club
At that stage Baka was in front of him and we were hoping to bring in a forward on loan who could go straight into the team
Max preferred to stay and fight for his place, Baka has seemingly lost all confidence, Godden has been injured and Walker unwell then lacking match fitness
And the forward we signed on loan has so far been a dud
Robins has said Max may be offered another year but as far as I know it's not actually happened so far

cc84cov

Actually he was well down the pecking order in January and from what I understand he was told he could leave if he found a club
At that stage Baka was in front of him and we were hoping to bring in a forward on loan who could go straight into the team
Max preferred to stay and fight for his place, Baka has seemingly lost all confidence, Godden has been injured and Walker unwell then lacking match fitness
Robins has said Max may be offered another year but as far as I know it's not actually happened so far
Do you think we will stay up

AFCCOVENTRY

I think that’s a carrot dangling exercise as Robins knows he has one fit striker.

Grendel

Biamou featured in virtually every match in December and January

better days

Biamou featured in virtually every match in December and January
He was still told he could go if he found a club as we hoped the loan forward would offer more of a goal threat
As Max was getting game time he preferred to back himself to force his way in
I'd love to see Max do well but he has very much been a fringe player if Godden and Walker are fit

D

Deleted member 11652

He was still told he could go if he found a club as we hoped the loan forward would offer more of a goal threat
As Max was getting game time he preferred to back himself to force his way in
I'd love to see Max do well but he has very much been a fringe player if Godden and Walker are fit

Why is Walker not fit?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I would prefer Darth Vader or Reg Hollis either or I can’t decide

giphy.gif

play_in_skyblue_stripes

As a follower of Coventry since childhood in the 1960s I hope this provides some comfort to those fans tearing their hair out over the result yesterday. I know several contributors have no time for history and I can understand this but it is amazing how it seems to repeat itself for our club. I can remember our last time in the Championship when Rotherham were rock bottom and bigger whipping boys than Wycombe 0-0. Or some might remember the entire footballing world feeling sorry for Carlton Palmer and the hapless Stockport County who were and still are one of the worst 2nd tier football clubs and who were routinely hammered by others; result 0-0. In the late 70,s when Wallace and Ferguson were banging the goals in and we played host to Newcastle who arrived at Highfield Road one Tuesday evening hopelessly adrift at the foot of the league fully prepared for a thrashing, 0-0.

It would be wonderful if we could do a Barrow and sprint away from the relegation dogfight with a run of victories but we all know that if we persuaded our remaining opponents to play blindfolded it would still end in a nail biting, stressful last day drama. However history tells us that we prevail in last day nail biting dramas and I have every confidence that we will end up 21st, our favourite finishing place in history; one place above the drop zone.

We have some remaining fixtures where we traditionally do incredibly badly; Preston and Bristol City spring to mind so there are bound to be more desperate days until the end of the season but my experience has always been that when you abandon all hope and resign yourself to the inevitable they pull off the least expected and make the escape all the more exhilarating. This is the price we all pay for supporting and loving our club.
I remember that 0-0 v Newcastle when Newcastle had a nightmare season.
Good post Jeff B.

Skybluebeliever

Godden not fit enough to start. Walker isn't a lone front man (though he should've started against a team like Wycombe). Baka and Gyo not looked great and certainly not any better than Biamou.

Yesterday it was a choice. IMO the wrong one (certainly on his own at least).
I find it very strange we sign Walker and he clearly is not a lone striker but we know at the start of the season ,we will play a lot of the games this way, Walker is one of our highest paid players and behind Hamer our most expensive signing ,yet biamou who wasn’t even in the squad at the start of the season is played in front of him ?

Users who are viewing this thread