Match Thread Wycombe (2 Viewers)

cc84cov

Really frustrating result & performance & we lost a little ground to Sheff Wed & Rotherham sure but we also gained a point & an improved goal difference over Birmingham. Could have been worse.
Missed fadz leadership today I felt sheaf helped control things interesting to see how we line up after the break at QPR next,if we have an under 23’s game I hope he uses walker & Godden together to try get them compatible

Frostie

Missed fadz leadership today I felt sheaf helped control things interesting to see how we line up after the break at QPR next,if we have an under 23’s game I hope he uses walker & Godden together to try get them compatible

International break has probably come at a good time, chance for Godden & Walker to train together etc. Hopefully the Dabo & Kelly injuries aren't too serious.

I didn't mind the formation today, it's not a defensive or negative setup at all despite what some believe. It's not the personnel I'd have chosen though. I'm still not convinced by the Kelly/James axis, they seem to want to occupy the same space. Much rather have 1 + Sheaf in there.

cc84cov

International break has probably come at a good time, chance for Godden & Walker to train together etc. Hopefully the Dabo & Kelly injuries aren't too serious.

I didn't mind the formation today, it's not a defensive or negative setup at all despite what some believe. It's not the personnel I'd have chosen though. I'm still not convinced by the Kelly/James axis, they seem to want to occupy the same space. Much rather have 1 + Sheaf in there.
Agree regarding James & Kelly surprised tbh I felt they would be the ideal pairing

robbiekeane

I still don't know what one is
A “flex” is slang for like a brag (flexing your muscles). A common recent internet mocking phrase when someone casually tried to drop in a humble brag is “weird flex but okay”.

So not even used right lol

cov donkey kick

Defensively thought the 3cbs were upto standard today no major individual errors which is a step forward and they didn't score.
Mentioned already Kelly and James not working to simalar, but if Kelly's injured again then James will do his job which will get either hamer or Sheaf alongside him. Sheaf I think it will be as he looked good on his cameo today. Ohare after a break of a couple weekends during the international break will set ohare back to his best for Easter, think Allen deserves a shot as he's a busy player.
Upfront max fills an area in the team when there's no one else, I think he's earnt an contract extension as 4th reserve. I do think that walker and godden are not the awnser either. Whether we stay up or not I have paid my entrance for next year so championship or league 1 I look forward to whatever.

cc84cov

Defensively thought the 3cbs were upto standard today no major individual errors which is a step forward and they didn't score.
Mentioned already Kelly and James not working to simalar, but if Kelly's injured again then James will do his job which will get either hamer or Sheaf alongside him. Sheaf I think it will be as he looked good on his cameo today. Ohare after a break of a couple weekends during the international break will set ohare back to his best for Easter, think Allen deserves a shot as he's a busy player.
Upfront max fills an area in the team when there's no one else, I think he's earnt an contract extension as 4th reserve. I do think that walker and godden are not the awnser either. Whether we stay up or not I have paid my entrance for next year so championship or league 1 I look forward to whatever.
They were up to standard as their playing at the it standard - league 1 Wycombe

Samo

Bottom line on MR for me...
If he starts with Max for the next game I am seriously doubting his judgement for the first time.
Max is a lovely bloke and all but he is NOT a championship footballer.

Brighton Sky Blue

If he starts with Max for the next game I am seriously doubting his judgement for the first time.

Well technically he is...

Frostie

You don't think Robins knows that? He actively tried to offload him in the summer don't forget.

The fact is, due to fitness issues with Walker & Godden coupled with under performance from the likes of Bakayoko & Gyökeres he's been forced to give Biamou a far bigger part than we wanted.

Skybluebeliever

Did you see him today ? Stood arms folded his mood echoed the players performance while Ainsworth was kicking every ball with his players...pisses me off
You don't think Robins knows that? He actively tried to offload him in the summer don't forget.

The fact is, due to fitness issues with Walker & Godden coupled with under performance from the likes of Bakayoko & Gyökeres he's been forced to give Biamou a far bigger part than we wanted.
add on kastaneer, jobello, Hilßner not being the attacking players he had hoped and Jones getting injured

shmmeee

That’s all well and good on a forum, back in the real world we have one striker who is fit and can play on his own up front.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I agree but the baseline is we might not know the full extent to Godden and Walker but Imo if they are not fit start Godden and Sheaf for first then second half bring on Walker and Allen on (turn into a diamond)

Frostie

I agree but the baseline is we might not know the full extent to Godden and Walker but Imo if they are not fit start Godden and Sheaf for first then second half bring on Walker and Allen on (turn into a diamond)

Godden only managed around 11 minutes & only got 18 vs Luton. He himself says he doesn't feel ready to start & can only do "15-20 minutes"

DazzleTommyDazzle

I sort of understand that, but the reality is that we've faced every team in this league and the standard isn't as high as anticipated. It'll be a failure to get relegated given what an outlier Wycombe are and Sheff Wed points deduction

It's true that there have been few teams that have "blown us away" with their free lowing football, but the teams in this division are bigger and stronger than in League 1 and that has given us a problem.

Then we've missed Marosi, Dabo, Rose, Kelly and Godden - arguably a list of our key players from last season - for large chunks of the campaign.

Relegation will always be a failure, but I maintain that staying up - even if by 1 goal on goal difference - would be a brilliant result. It's not a coincidence that all the promoted teams are in the bottom 6.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No, I'm talking like we have spent 3 days in the relegation zone all season & are still sitting above it with 37 games played.
The sky hasn't fallen in because we failed to win 1 game. Massive overreactions as always.

We've failed to beat the worst team in the league, when we really need wins. Not only that, but the performance was pathetic, and the tactics even worse.

Every week you point to the next game and just write it off. I wish I had what was in your medicine cabinet mate!

Frostie

We've failed to beat the worst team in the league, when we really need wins. Not only that, but the performance was pathetic, and the tactics even worse.

Every week you point to the next game and just write it off. I wish I had what was in your medicine cabinet mate!

No denying yesterday was piss poor mate & believe me I'm massively frustrated by it but I'm not panicking yet. I said before the game I didn't think we'd easily win like some believed & we're not the only ones who have failed to beat them.

It's good to debate where we're going wrong lately for sure - personally I thought the personnel selected rather than the tactics were wrong last couple of games - but at the same time no game is 'must win' yet & we're not automatically relegated because of what happened yesterday. It's a long season so there is always next game.
Until we're in the bottom 3 I'm confident.

Terry Gibson's perm

Other teams don't play the way Brentford do.

They don’t but we can have a way of playing we seem to worry far too much about the opposition when we set up, things like playing a striker who can head it because the opposition are tall even though he can’t do the primary job which is to score.

Frostie

They don’t but we can have a way of playing we seem to worry far too much about the opposition when we set up, things like playing a striker who can head it because the opposition are tall even though he can’t do the primary job which is to score.

I totally agree & disagree with the personnel Robins selected yesterday. I can only think that Walker is struggling fitness wise more than we know.

The formation & general pattern of play early on was ok, it was never going to be pretty - awful pitch, Wycombe's tactics etc. but after the break we seemed to lose all momentum & were suckered into playing their way which is exactly what they wanted.

The box for me was the way to go, Wycombe have always struggled against it, but I have said many times that I don't like Kelly & James together. It also shoehorns Hamer into playing more advanced & he doesn't seem as effective there.

A midfield of this would have been more effective imo:

Hamer James
O'Hare Allen

You could play Kelly instead of James or Sheaf instead of either of the deeper 2 (personally thought it was an ideal game for Sheaf & give Hamer a rest) but I'm not convinced Kelly/James/Hamer is an effective combination.

Terry Gibson's perm

I totally agree & disagree with the personnel Robins selected yesterday. I can only think that Walker is struggling fitness wise more than we know.

The formation & general pattern of play early on was ok, it was never going to be pretty - awful pitch, Wycombe's tactics etc. but after the break we seemed to lose all momentum & were suckered into playing their way which is exactly what they wanted.

The box for me was the way to go, Wycombe have always struggled against it, but I have said many times that I don't like Kelly & James together. It also shoehorns Hamer into playing more advanced & he doesn't seem as effective there.

A midfield of this would have been more effective imo:

Hamer James
O'Hare Allen

You could play Kelly instead of James or Sheaf instead of either of the deeper 2 (personally thought it was an ideal game for Sheaf & give Hamer a rest) but I'm not convinced Kelly/James/Hamer is an effective combination.

We let games drift and really struggle to go up the gears partly down to the players we have, we just haven’t got a game changer.

Users who are viewing this thread