“ Ticket Office “ (1 Viewer)

skyblue_55

It might have been the subject by some previously, but if it has , then nobody is listening.
Today’s visit is again league 2 at best , with one woman serving a growing line of people & seemingly the only time another person is there , is when the First Lady goes for lunch !
You would have thought that the old ccfc store, having at least 3 windows, would have been updated in our new super store , but we have 2 computers in a cramped corner, back to back with the printing window , but only 1 being used .
We have Swansea , Middlesbrough, Leicester, Oxford etc tickets being bought , but Doug , you are letting these paying customers down badly !

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

For the majority of ticketing needs, you can buy them online. There should be an efficient operation going on, but you don't need an army.

I don't know the reason for you going up there today, but I have heard a lot of people in recent weeks turning up there to buy standard match tickets which is just a waste of everyone's time. It isn't the 1970's anymore.

For anything that is a bit more difficult to resolve, call them or go there. To buy a ticket, go online and leave the staff to deal with those that come under the former.

ccfctommy

I went up there about an hour and a half ago. I was collecting Boro tickets as the postal deadline has passed. A big queue for one person serving.

ccfctommy

It might have been the subject by some previously, but if it has , then nobody is listening.
Today’s visit is again league 2 at best , with one woman serving a growing line of people & seemingly the only time another person is there , is when the First Lady goes for lunch !
You would have thought that the old ccfc store, having at least 3 windows, would have been updated in our new super store , but we have 2 computers in a cramped corner, back to back with the printing window , but only 1 being used .
We have Swansea , Middlesbrough, Leicester, Oxford etc tickets being bought , but Doug , you are letting these paying customers down badly !
You must've been the guy in front of me!

shmmeee

For the majority of ticketing needs, you can buy them online. There should be an efficient operation going on, but you don't need an army.

I don't know the reason for you going up there today, but I have heard a lot of people in recent weeks turning up there to buy standard match tickets which is just a waste of everyone's time. It isn't the 1970's anymore.

For anything that is a bit more difficult to resolve, call them or go there. To buy a ticket, go online and leave the staff to deal with those that come under the former.

This. If you want personal service for no good reason you’ve got to accept you aren’t paying extra for it.

theferret

Why does anyone actually physically go to the ticket office if they don’t have special needs like accessible tickets?

Some people just prefer it I guess. Plus kids tickets can't be bought online on their own.I don't think? Will be lots of youngsters going to Oxford game for example.

Some will be getting Boro tickets and they have no choice, others maybe just like using cash. I know someone who had a serious gambling addiction who has no bank cards.

Others may have JSB vouchers they are exchanging for tickets.

Most people should buy online, I'd certainly never go down in person, but there are valid reasons.

chiefdave

I'd look at it the other way round. What can you do at the ticket office that you can't do online?

If there's anything then get that fixed on the online system. Absolutely no reason for people to need to go to the ground to get a ticket these days

shmmeee

Some people just prefer it I guess. Plus kids tickets can't be bought online on their own.I don't think? Will be lots of youngsters going to Oxford game for example.

Some will be getting Boro tickets and they have no choice, others maybe just like using cash. I know someone who had a serious gambling addiction who has no bank cards.

Others may have JSB vouchers they are exchanging for tickets.

Most people should buy online, I'd certainly never go down in person, but there are valid reasons.

Like I say special needs like tickets you can’t buy online is one thing. Going down just cos it’s 2023 and you can’t work a website and expect personal service is another.

theferret

I'd look at it the other way round. What can you do at the ticket office that you can't do online?

If there's anything then get that fixed on the online system. Absolutely no reason for people to need to go to the ground to get a ticket these days

How do you sell a ticket to a 14 year old that has no visa card? How do you distribute away tickets when the postal deadline has gone (not everyone wants to travel and risk collecting from the home ticket office), unless you can solve these problems you will always need manned ticket office. Unless we become a cashless club and shut certain people out, but I wouldn't want that.

Some elderly people struggle too. Not all have a printer at home or are comfortable with smart phones. My dad, if he didn't have me, would find it very stressful. We can laugh and sneer at these people, but personally I'd much rather we made it as easy as possible for people to buy tickets.

shmmeee

How do you sell a ticket to a 14 year old that has no visa card? How do you distribute away tickets when the postal deadline has gone (not everyone wants to travel and risk collecting from the home ticket office), unless you can solve these problems you will always need manned ticket office. Unless we become a cashless club and shut certain people out, but I wouldn't want that.

Some elderly people struggle too. Not all have a printer at home or are comfortable with smart phones. My dad, if he didn't have me, would find it very stressful. We can laugh and sneer at these people, but personally I'd much rather we made it as easy as possible for people to buy tickets.

My 8 year old has a VISA card. Just saying.

It’s fine if you need personal service, but accept the club can’t afford to give it to you free and not affect the service quality.

chiefdave

How do you sell a ticket to a 14 year old that has no visa card?
you can get a bank account with a debit card from the age of 11, you can get a prepaid card from the age of 6. How many under 6s are turning up at the ticket office to buy tickets with cash?
How do you distribute away tickets when the postal deadline has gone (not everyone wants to travel and risk collecting from the home ticket office)
if people miss the postal deadline then collect at the ground or e-tickets

there should be a very limited number of people who have no other option than to go to the ticket office, we shouldn't be talking of needing 3+ ticketing windows open at all times to cope with demand

theferret

you can get a bank account with a debit card from the age of 11, you can get a prepaid card from the age of 6. How many under 6s are turning up at the ticket office to buy tickets with cash?

That doesn't address the point. I am asking how do you that if they don't have one, and many don't. You could just shut them out and say tough?

Every venue, from theatres to arenas to ice rinks etc. have a physical box office. It's good business. If you're in the business of selling tickets you open up as many sales channels as possible. Just look at the fuss when they started shutting train station ticket offices.

I do agree though, that those who do buy in person, shouldn't expect to walk up to a window and be served immediately, that's fair enough.

shmmeee

That doesn't address the point. I am asking how do you that if they don't have one, and many don't. You could just shut them out and say tough?

Every venue, from theatres to arenas to ice rinks etc. have a physical box office. It's good business. If you're in the business of selling tickets you open up as many sales channels as possible. Just look at the fuss when they started shutting train station ticket offices.

I do agree though, that those who do buy in person, shouldn't expect to walk up to a window and be served immediately, that's fair enough.

Only if it makes money though. And most theatres, cinemas and ice rinks also don’t have three dedicated ticket sales people.

So the best thing to do is encourage those that can buy online to do so and leave the limited staff for those that can’t.

chiefdave

Do places have ticket offices these days that are open at times when there's not an event on? Just thinking of some local ones, NEC and NIA don't, nor do either the O2 Academy or Institute.

It's increasingly rare these days. I suspect the only reason we still have one is because we have a staffed club shop where they're essentially just accessing the same system we do from home.

Think the key is to ensure as much as possible can be done online so nobody has a need to go to the ticket office, then those that choose to do so will have to wait if its busy.

theferret

Only if it makes money though. And most theatres, cinemas and ice rinks also don’t have three dedicated ticket sales people.

So the best thing to do is encourage those that can buy online to do so and leave the limited staff for those that can’t.

I agree with the last paragraph 100%, just some seem to be suggesting we work to close the option off completely. I just hear these arguments all the time when village post offices close, banks close local branches, putting people out of work. Many elderly people find the modern world pretty confusing, so we should definitely keep this route open. The argument is always yeah but it's 2023, these people need to get with the times blah blah.

Besides, it's not as though demand is exceeding supply. We only have a maximum of 6000 tickets to sell for each home game and we've only managed that once. Keep making it as easy a possible I say.

shmmeee

I agree with the last paragraph 100%, just some seem to be suggesting we work to close the option off completely. I just hear these arguments all the time when village post offices close, banks close local branches, putting people out of work. Many elderly people find the modern world pretty confusing, so we should definitely keep this route open. The argument is always yeah but it's 2023, these people need to get with the times blah blah.

Besides, it's not as though demand is exceeding supply. We only have a maximum of 6000 tickets to sell for each home game and we've only managed that once. Keep making it as easy a possible I say.

But they do. That’s how we improve productivity. That or people pay more for personal service. If we want Doris in the ticket office paid more than NMW her job needs to be economically viable. Same for people who won’t use ATMs or self serve machines or whatever. It’s not a victimless request, you’re asking to be given a service that’s not economically viable and be subsidised by other customers or lower wages.

Calista

Like I say special needs like tickets you can’t buy online is one thing. Going down just cos it’s 2023 and you can’t work a website and expect personal service is another.
House of Lords Communications and Digital Committee June 2023:
- 4m people are still unable to complete a single basic digital task to get online such as opening an internet browser, connecting to a wifi network, updating a password or using a mouse.
- 5m workers will be acutely under skilled in basic digital skills by 2030.
- 7m households have no broadband or mobile internet access.

(Admittedly the OP is participating in an online forum!)

Relative to the astronomical amounts of money sloshing around in professional football, I'd have thought paying for two ticket office staff rather than one (when it seems the demand is clearly there) would just be good service.

Travs

You'd be surprised the amount of people this refers to.

I've had to buy tickets for a music event this morning. It was plain and simple.... the first 100 in the priority list got half an hour to buy their tickets. The remaining thousands, no matter what your previous place in the entry queue, were in the free-for-all at 9:30.

I logged on when my email link arrived and bought the tickets.... took a couple of attempts as they were selling so quickly, but not rocket-science.

Check the facebook page and its absolute carnage... people not understanding the system, or not able to use the site... (i appreciate people whose email didn't arrive are a different matter).

One poor woman on there asking what a booking fee was......

slowpoke

Do they sell tickets at the West Orchard in town shop ?

shmmeee

House of Lords Communications and Digital Committee June 2023:
- 4m people are still unable to complete a single basic digital task to get online such as opening an internet browser, connecting to a wifi network, updating a password or using a mouse.
- 5m workers will be acutely under skilled in basic digital skills by 2030.
- 7m households have no broadband or mobile internet access.

(Admittedly the OP is participating in an online forum!)

Relative to the astronomical amounts of money sloshing around in professional football, I'd have thought paying for two ticket office staff rather than one (when it seems the demand is clearly there) would just be good service.

That number for households is miles off, it’s more like 1m. Also from that Committee in Sept:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cdp-2023-0176/#:~:text=Ofcom's%202023%20Technology%20Tracker%20estimates,2020%20and%2024%25%20in%202011.

wingy

theferret

But they do. That’s how we improve productivity. That or people pay more for personal service. If we want Doris in the ticket office paid more than NMW her job needs to be economically viable. Same for people who won’t use ATMs or self serve machines or whatever. It’s not a victimless request, you’re asking to be given a service that’s not economically viable and be subsidised by other customers or lower wages.

Didn't strike me as a Thatcherite 😂

The lines get blurred when you're offering a service. Should you cancel a bus service between two villages because it is not profitable? Or does a developed, 1st world nation work to ensure that service is maintained? Even privatised businesses offering public services have responsibilities beyond profit.

We've deviated, and of course a privately owned football club is a bit different, so we're having two discussions.

It's an easy argument for a bank to say that a branch is not viable, but the truth is it is viable, it just may have a marginal impact on profit and therefore share price and shareholder dividends. Doesn't make it right to.close it. But then I guess you could also factor in the impact on pension funds.

We're deviating into politics, probably not a good move.

shmmeee

Didn't strike me as a Thatcherite 😂

The lines get blurred when you're offering a service. Should you cancel a bus service between two villages because it is not profitable? Or does a developed, 1st world nation work to ensure that service is maintained? Even privatised businesses offering public services have responsibilities beyond profit.

We've deviated, and of course a privately owned football club is a bit different, so we're having two discussions.

It's an easy argument for a bank to say that a branch is not viable, but the truth is it is viable, it just may have a marginal impact on profit and therefore share price and shareholder dividends. Doesn't make it right to.close it. But then I guess you could also factor in the impact on pension funds.

We're deviating into politics, probably not a good move.

A bus service is a public utility and shouldn’t be expected to be profitable. I’d love to nationalise football clubs but it’s not going to happen 🤣

I’m a proponent of a high wage economy.

Calista

OK maybe the source I quoted is wrong and it should say 7% pf households not 7m? Regardless, the question of principle is whether it's fair to exclude millions of people in society because they aren't 'viable' enough?

EalingSB

I bought one ticket for the Sheff Wed game on Christmas morning which was print at home - perfect. I then ordered five for Swansea straight after and there was no print at home option so need to be collected as too late to post. Not ideal.

shmmeee

OK maybe the source I quoted is wrong and it should say 7% pf households not 7m? Regardless, the question of principle is whether it's fair to exclude millions of people in society because they aren't 'viable' enough?

It’s not about people not being viable, it’s about people still choosing not to have internet in 2023. Same as people that insist on using cash only, or who don’t want to use other technology. At some point it’s on them.

My Dad is 76 and worked as a systems analyst, pretty much everyone alive today will have been at work since computers were a major part of our lives. There’s really no excuse beyond disability.

wingy

It’s not about people not being viable, it’s about people still choosing not to have internet in 2023. Same as people that insist on using cash only, or who don’t want to use other technology. At some point it’s on them.

My Dad is 76 and worked as a systems analyst, pretty much everyone alive today will have been at work since computers were a major part of our lives. There’s really no excuse beyond disability.
Not a manual trade I'm afraid!

Calista

Crikey

shmmeee

Yes?

This is technology literal babies can use. My Mum (72) still uses paper maps but can also manage to book an event online.

It’s really not some insurmountable task.

theferret

And what about the freedom to choose? It's not on them at all, it's on everyone else to ensure we can accommodate people who make different choices and have a society that respects how people choose to live their lives. We can't accommodate everyone's wishes, we have to push forward and progress, but a society that compels people to use a smart phone or only use digital money sounds pretty tyrannical to me.

Besides, it's the rate of change that is the issue. People need to move with the times, we wouldn't accommodate people who emptied a slop bucket in the street because they choose not to have a toilet. Society moves on. But in the digital age, the rate of change is rapid. We mustn't leave people behind.

Users who are viewing this thread