“ Ticket Office “ (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

It’s not about people not being viable, it’s about people still choosing not to have internet in 2023. Same as people that insist on using cash only, or who don’t want to use other technology. At some point it’s on them.

My Dad is 76 and worked as a systems analyst, pretty much everyone alive today will have been at work since computers were a major part of our lives. There’s really no excuse beyond disability.

I've got mates in their late 50s, early 60s who wouldn't have a clue.
They know a whole raft of shit I'd give my right arm to know, plumbing, electrical work etc, etc, but lucky me, I can buy an online ticket!

shmmeee

And what about the freedom to choose? It's not on them at all, it's on everyone else to ensure we can accommodate people who make different choices and have a society that respects how people choose to live their lives. We can't accommodate everyone's wishes, we have to push forward and progress, but a society that compels people to use a smart phone or only use digital money sounds pretty tyrannical to me.

Besides, it's the rate of change that is the issue. People need to move with the times, we wouldn't accommodate people who emptied a slop bucket in the street because they choose not to have a toilet. Society moves on. But in the digital age, the rate of change is rapid. We mustn't leave people behind.

To be clear what you are asking for is extremely large infrastructure, mostly maintained by poverty wages, so you don’t have to do a task 99% of the population has no issues with, despite there being no reasonable excuse not to.

The web has been around for over 30 years. Home computers well over 50. Even smartphones are over 15 years old at this point. It’s not like it turned up last week and we’re demanding people use it!

shmmeee

I've got mates in their late 50s, early 60s who wouldn't have a clue.
They know a whole raft of shit I'd give my right arm to know, plumbing, electrical work etc, etc, but lucky me, I can buy an online ticket!

They need to sort their shit out then. If you can do electrical work but not use a browser it’s because you can’t be arsed to learn and are expecting the rest of society to pick up the slack for your strategic incompetence.

Calista

You could probably do a lot to improve the ticket office staffing at busy times for the equivalent of 1 week's wages for a footballer.

And that footballer might of course be a useless turd :)

Calista

To be clear what you are asking for is extremely large infrastructure, mostly maintained by poverty wages, so you don’t have to do a task 99% of the population has no issues with, despite there being no reasonable excuse not to.

The web has been around for over 30 years. Home computers well over 50. Even smartphones are over 15 years old at this point. It’s not like it turned up last week and we’re demanding people use it!
It's nothing like 99% though is it?

clint van damme

I agree. Expecting the world to stop improving people’s standards of living because you can’t be arsed to learn the most basic of skills is an extremely shitty attitude.

Hilarious. You're showing yourself up to be a right prick.

theferret

I agree. Expecting the world to stop improving people’s standards of living because you can’t be arsed to learn the most basic of skills is an extremely shitty attitude.

And yet all those youngsters with a sneering sense of superiority because they can use a smartphone (despite having no real idea how it works) would have no clue how to cook a nutritious meal, bleed a radiator, fix a door or change a wheel. Progress.

I do wonder what would happen if a solar flare took out all our satellites. Poor old grandad's phone wouldn't stop ringing (land line, obvs).

hill83

It might have been the subject by some previously, but if it has , then nobody is listening.
Today’s visit is again league 2 at best , with one woman serving a growing line of people & seemingly the only time another person is there , is when the First Lady goes for lunch !
You would have thought that the old ccfc store, having at least 3 windows, would have been updated in our new super store , but we have 2 computers in a cramped corner, back to back with the printing window , but only 1 being used .
We have Swansea , Middlesbrough, Leicester, Oxford etc tickets being bought , but Doug , you are letting these paying customers down badly !

It’s a bag of shite, but lunch is lunch. If it was me I wouldn’t give a fuck.

shmmeee

Hilarious. You're showing yourself up to be a right prick.

Insult me all you like. Why is it only technology where this is an OK attitude? If I pretended I couldn’t work the vacuum and demanded someone come and did it for me is that OK?

Unless you’ve got a developmental disorder this is very very basic stuff. It’s not too complex. It’s just people don’t want to do it.

shmmeee

And yet all those youngsters with a sneering sense of superiority because they can use a smartphone (despite having no real idea how it works) would have no clue how to cook a nutritious meal, bleed a radiator, fix a door or change a wheel. Progress.

I do wonder what would happen if a solar flare took out all our satellites. Poor old grandad's phone wouldn't stop ringing (land line, obvs).

I’d have the same attitude if someone claimed they needed Uber Eats because they can’t cook. Or the AA to change a wheel. It’s literally the same thing.

Also being called a youngster at 42:

Snow White Reaction GIF

Last edited:

hill83

They need to sort their shit out then. If you can do electrical work but not use a browser it’s because you can’t be arsed to learn and are expecting the rest of society to pick up the slack for your strategic incompetence.

Bit harsh, but my 94 year old grandad has made himself learn and does all his stuff online now. No excuses for me really.

shmmeee

Bit harsh, but my 94 yeah old grandad has made himself learns and does all his stuff online now. No excuses for me really.

This is my point. Obviously I’m online so I’m being a prick for effect, but plenty of older people manage to learn and there’s some who just don’t want to and want everyone else to help them out.

hill83

This is my point. Obviously I’m online so I’m being a prick for effect, but plenty of older people manage to learn and there’s some who just don’t want to and want everyone else to help them out.

Say it nicer next time

chiefdave

Don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be an option for those who genuinely can't buy a ticket any other way, maybe with he caveat that they shouldn't be expecting to be able to walk into the club store at any point and be served immediately.

The issue is more around making sure the systems we use have the functionality that allows as many people as possible to buy online and for people who are capable of buying online to use that system rather than turning up at the store.

shmmeee

Don't think anyone is saying there shouldn't be an option for those who genuinely can't buy a ticket any other way, maybe with he caveat that they shouldn't be expecting to be able to walk into the club store at any point and be served immediately.

The issue is more around making sure the systems we use have the functionality that allows as many people as possible to buy online and for people who are capable of buying online to use that system rather than turning up at the store.

I mean there’s a whole other point about how the ticket system is shite and pushes more people to in store than it should. Especially got accessible tickets which IMO is a bit sick to force people who by definition have accessibility issues into your store.

David O'Day

i think this is pretty much it, the staff at the t/o are there to help people who have to come to the ticket office i.e. disabled season tickets etc and those who genuinely can't use the internet.

those who could order online but choose not to also shouldn't complain when they find it is not set up for them

clint van damme

Insult me all you like. Why is it only technology where this is an OK attitude? If I pretended I couldn’t work the vacuum and demanded someone come and did it for me is that OK?

Unless you’ve got a developmental disorder this is very very basic stuff. It’s not too complex. It’s just people don’t want to do it.

You've come across as a prick .
And you can try and explain it away, but that's my take on it.

Brylowes

Many elderly people find the modern world pretty confusing, so we should definitely keep this route open. The argument is always yeah but it's 2023, these people need to get with the times blah blah.
At 54 I wouldn’t say I’m elderly, but it baffles the hell out of me.

theferret

It is still a shitty attitude, no matter how you dress it up.

My old man, who has all sorts of practical skills I don't, really struggles with it. I have tried to sit with him many times but he cannot grasp it and it is the source of a huge amount of frustration for him.

The team I run at work often have to talk elderly customers through the connection of a WiFi datalogger to their router. It's easy, but we are sometimes on the phone for hours and we've had customers crying on the phone.

You're attitude is clearly fuck em, they should try harder? Fair enough then.

Blind-Faith

Same with my parents, anything in regards to a smartphone/app/laptop problem they want me to sort it out. I’ve told them, Google a problem and there will be easy step by step guides on how to do something, they are just not interested in learning.

My mum still doesn’t have a bank card, pays for everything in cash and goes to the building society once a week to get money out. Anything that has to be done on card my dad picks the tab up. Drives me mad

Any new app/website you have to register an account like you always do, mum sighs and snarls about it. But she’s quite happy to spend hours whiling away on bloody Facebook 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m sure we will all reach that kind of age at some point when tech passes us by, I just hope I will atleast want to try and learn the basics of how it works

clint van damme

It is still a shitty attitude, no matter how you dress it up.

My old man, who has all sorts of practical skills I don't, really struggles with it. I have tried to sit with him many times but he cannot grasp it and it is the source of a huge amount of frustration for him.

The team I run at work often have to talk elderly customers through the connection of a WiFi datalogger to their router. It's easy, but we are sometimes on the phone for hours and we've had customers crying on the phone.

You're attitude is clearly fuck em, they should try harder? Fair enough then.

I'm the same with cars.
I have to pay someone to do the simplest jobs.
Lads in my office can't understand it, tell me to youtube it, it's dead easy, but I don't have the confidence or the wherewithal, we all have our falibilities.

skybluecam

I'm the same with cars.
Lads in my office can't understand it, tell me to youtube it, it's dead easy, but I don't have the confidence or the wherewithal, we all have our falibilities
Using the internet to purchase a football ticket is nowhere near as complex as doing mechanical work on a car.

In todays society, barring a disability, anyone should be able to achieve basic tasks on a computer/the internet. It's a life skill in the same way that cooking, cleaning, tying your shoelaces etc. is.

clint van damme

Using the internet to purchase a football ticket is nowhere near as complex as doing mechanical work on a car.

In todays society, barring a disability, anyone should be able to achieve basic tasks on a computer/the internet. It's a life skill in the same way that cooking, cleaning, tying your shoelaces etc. is.

I'm not saying it is as complicated just making the point that most of us have something we struggle with, even if that shouldn't be the case.

And sometimes it's something that seems second nature to other people.

hill83

I'm the same with cars.
Lads in my office can't understand it, tell me to youtube it, it's dead easy, but I don't have the confidence or the wherewithal, we all have our falibilities.

Good point tbf. Last time I had a go was changing a headlight bulb on my old focus and ended up with a completely disassembled car and nearly cried. Never again

Irish Sky Blue

I was in there today to try and upgrade a ticket. Can’t do that online (and as it turns out, you can’t do it in person either) A chap ahead of me in the queue was there because he was trying to buy two half ST in seats that were together. Because his computer was only showing Swansea tickets, he went down to the ground to try and sort it out. As it turns out, the lady couldn’t help him either as her computer was showing the same. The advice he got was to wait until after the Swansea game, note down the seats he wanted and then come back to the ticket office to buy them. Not everything can be done online and I feel enough obstacles are put in the way of sorting out ticketing issues without making them worse by having no human contact.
I came away from the office annoyed with myself but even more annoyed with the club. The friend that I go to the games with is, like me, an OAP who has a concessionary ticket. He can’t attend the match tomorrow. I asked my son if a mate of his, an adult, would like to come along, first time for him up the City, The friend said he’d like to come.
I went into the ticket office thinking I could upgrade the concession ticket to an adult for this game. The lady did tell me there were no upgrades but I was thinking this was a question of semantics. I’m annoyed with myself for not listening properly in the first place. It was only when I was asked to pay £24 for the ticket that I fully realised what she had meant. I then told her that I would leave the ticket as it was, only to be told my mates ST for the Swansea match had been cancelled and there was nothing she could do. (fair enough, my fault this, I’ll make sure I pay more attention in future).
I feel I have been penalised for trying to be honest.I fully expected to pay the difference between the concessionary ticket cost per match, about £16, and the full price match ticket, £24. In effect we have paid twice for the same seat. I think it’s right that the club clamp down on adults going in on concession tickets, but they make it impossible to upgrade. If any of our group can’t attend in future, we’ll just take our chances at the turnstile by using the cheaper ticket if an adult wants to attend.
I would like to write to the club to complain, not that I think it will do any good, but still feel it’s necessary to make my feelings known. Does anyone have a name and email address of who to contact please? Maybe Pete could raise this issue at the next fans representative meeting?

Blind-Faith

Good point tbf. Last time I had a go was changing a headlight bulb on my old focus and ended up with a completely disassembled car and nearly cried. Never again
Had exactly the same thing, on a focus aswell, ended up having to go to Halfords, and a young girl atleast 10 years younger than me had it changed and sorted in about 10 minutes. Fair play to her. But I didn’t half feel emasculated 😂

hill83

Had exactly the same thing, on a focus aswell, ended up having to go to Halfords, and a young girl atleast 10 years younger than me had it changed and sorted in about 10 minutes. Fair play to her. But I didn’t half feel emasculated 😂

Couldn’t believe how much you had to take off to change a fucking bulb

chiefdave

I'm the same with cars.
I'm not great with cars past the basics but DIY is a real no go for me, even the most basic things.

Get the same as you, everyone is 'that's easy, just look on YouTube' but I've now reached the point where I know its a lot less stress and cheaper overall to get someone in to do it right first time than make an attempt and have to pay someone to fix my fuck up before they can do the actual job I was trying to do.

chiefdave

In todays society, barring a disability, anyone should be able to achieve basic tasks on a computer/the internet.
Wonder if we went through this with phones.

Today people would think you'd lost the plot if you said you didn't know how to make a phone call. Can't be that far off looking at people who can't do the basics online the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread