Bands You'd Forgot About ? (1 Viewer)

W

westcountry_skyblue

Digging through my cd's found Velveteen by Transvision Vamp,Forgot what a good album it was.
Especially the title track 9 mins long,i saw them twice at aston villa leasure centre in the late 80's.
Oh Wendy James was a dream!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick,and Titch ! ☺
I went to the Nordoff Robins Silver Cleff Concert at Knebworth in 1990, where I had a back stage pass and saw Pink Floyd, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Ray Cooper, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Status Quo and Phil Collins with Genesis. The organiser was Dave Dee. I met him (coz I was actually working at the concert) and he was one of the nicest guys you could meet. Really friendly. He drove up to us on a quad bike and gave us all the assistance we needed to set up our stuff (scaffolding and the like). Top bloke! He even told us where we could meet a couple of the acts backstage (which I did!)

bringbackrattles

I went to the Nordoff Robins Silver Cleff Concert at Knebworth in 1990, where I had a back stage pass and saw Pink Floyd, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Ray Cooper, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Status Quo and Phil Collins with Genesis. The organiser was Dave Dee. I met him (coz I was actually working at the concert) and he was one of the nicest guys you could meet. Really friendly. He drove up to us on a quad bike and gave us all the assistance we needed to set up our stuff (scaffolding and the like). Top bloke! He even told us where we could meet a couple of the acts backstage (which I did!)
Sadly Dave Dee passed away a few years ago. I thought they were a good pop band in the 60's. I was talking to an old mate of mine recently who went with me and a few others to lots of concerts./festivals years back, and we talked about all the great bands we saw.
But nobody wants to go anymore just happy to listen to music instead, which is depressing as you can't beat seeing live music.

torchomatic

He's still going too, up to a point. I saw him a couple of years ago. He released several very good solo albums and then had kids and packed up. He did an acoustic set on tour about 5 years ago.

What about Prefab Sprout? Paddy McAloon also did some solo albums but I didn't like them. He also toured a few years back and my mate saw him. He had a big grey beard and my mate stood near the front. Near the end he asked the audience "Any requests?" My mate shouted out "Yeah, shave the beard off!"

Also saw Green from Scritti Politti and Dr. Feelgood recently on tour. We seem to get quite a few former big names playing at a pub venue down the road.

I always liked Lloyd's solo material, although I was still a fan of the Commotions too. Seen him three or four times over the years. Always puts on a good show.

torchomatic

Teardrop Explodes, Wah!, Pale Fountains, Wild Swans, Care.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Went to see them in London in the mid 80s. Weird experience.

torchomatic

Reactions: vow

torchomatic

Gazolba

Sadly Dave Dee passed away a few years ago. I thought they were a good pop band in the 60's. I was talking to an old mate of mine recently who went with me and a few others to lots of concerts./festivals years back, and we talked about all the great bands we saw.
<snip>
I always liked Dave Dee. Have their albums on vinyl and still play them now and again. "The Wreck of the Antoinette", "The Legend of Xanadu", "Snake in the Grass" are great songs. They had a unique vibe unlike any other band and Dave Dee was a great lead singer.

Last edited:

torchomatic

World of Twist. Dug out their LP tonight. Lovely stuff.

clint van damme

Teardrop Explodes, Wah!, Pale Fountains, Wild Swans, Care.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Went to see them in London in the mid 80s. Weird experience.

saw them down the poly, gig made the front pages of the tabloids after someone hit the lead singer with a bottle (Martin Degville?).

torchomatic

One Thousand Violins
Shop Assistants
The Skids

Johnnythespider

One Thousand Violins
Shop Assistants
The Skids
Shop assistants have just been made redundant from BHS
The Skids were a great band, have to confess I've never heard of one thousand violins

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jimmyhillsfanclub

I pretty much forgot about Prince Buster until I read that he passed away yesterday :(

How can you forget about the godfather of Ska.....if it wasn't for him, there would probably be no 2-Tone records and Coventry wouldn't have rocked the world in 1979-1982

I'd love to think the SBA could muster a rendition of "Enjoy Yourself" at Millwall this weekend as a tribute to the Prince.

RIP.

Last edited:

CCFC Germany

How can you forget about the godfather of Ska.....if it wasn't for him, there would probably be no 2-Tone records and Coventry wouldn't have rocked the world in 1979-1982

I'd love to think the SBA could muster a rendition of "Enjoy Yourself" at Millwall this weekend as a tribute to the Prince.

RIP.
Absolutely true !
I just did listen to some of his stuff for quite a while. Big mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread