Ben Wilson (1 Viewer)

Skybluefaz

But he's been at loads of shit clubs etc...

Before this season I was one of his biggest critics and for the record I'd still invest in a new keeper as a priority if we had that luxury.

When you look at Moore's clown show at the start of the season though it's definitely Wilson who is rightly in possession of the starting jersey and should be given some leeway if he makes a mistake or two. Which he will.

Danceswithhorses

Now, i'll be honest, i really don't rate Wilson and much prefer Moore, but credit where it is due, that was a great save at the end to keep all the 3 points, and a solid alround display.
Somehow, with a 'journeyman' keeper, and the loss of influential Dom Hyam, who i rated highly, we seem to be a clean sheet machine at the moment, whilst nicking a goal each game, and coming away with great results.
That's Sheff Utd, Blackburn & Watford all 'thrashed' 1-0 (y)
.....and we've still got 2 games in hand on most (3 games on 5 teams !)
MR must be best bang per buck manager in the league.

fatso

Now, i'll be honest, i really don't rate Wilson and much prefer Moore, but credit where it is due, that was a great save at the end to keep all the 3 points, and a solid alround display.
Somehow, with a 'journeyman' keeper, and the loss of influential Dom Hyam, who i rated highly, we seem to be a clean sheet machine at the moment, whilst nicking a goal each game, and coming away with great results.
That's Sheff Utd, Blackburn & Watford all 'thrashed' 1-0 (y)
.....and we've still got 2 games in hand on most (3 games on 5 teams !)
MR must be best bang per buck manager in the league.
Dom who?

rob9872

Some of you simply too stubborn to admit you're wrong. He'll have howlers again, he's a keeper after all, but with our budget he's more than adequate.

Frostie

I was reading some comments on team of the week. Lots of fans of other clubs saying Wilson has been cheated and he is class.

He was good this week for sure. Watford only had 2 shots on target though so never likely to be in the team of the week.

I assume the TOTW you speak of gave it to Baxter of Hull? His performance was incredible. 6 saves, multiple crosses claimed & kept a clean sheet from an xGOT of 3.07, Wilson's by comparison was 0.47.

jordan210

He was good this week for sure. Watford only had 2 shots on target though so never likely to be in the team of the week.

I assume the TOTW you speak of gave it to Baxter of Hull? His performance was incredible. 6 saves, multiple crosses claimed & kept a clean sheet from an xGOT of 3.07, Wilson's by comparison was 0.47.

I agree I dont think Wilson missed out on TOTW. Just shows how other fans see things. the reverse of what we see

seen we have had more clean sheets and expect Wilson to be in totw

rob9872

Clean sheet, saved the free kick, the deflected tip round the post and took out some decent crosses. Fell on it a few times and took a great time wasting booking near the end.

rexo87

Chalk off another one. 3 in a row again and now 9 in 12 is incredible.

Lucky?
Not much to do?
Clean sheet?
Top shithousing?

Hamer gave us a scare, but some quality time wasting again
In fairness, he had nothing to do today

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

hill83

I always try to be positive about our players but I went full annoyed with Wilson after the Blackpool game. I take it back. He’s half decent. And you can’t argue with what he’s achieving at the moment.

skybluegod

It very much has the RCC feel to it. He's not actually a very good keeper but seems to have a knack of keeping clean sheets.

That's not me slagging him off, he deserves to shirt 100% at the moment and as long as things continue as they are he can keep it. It just feels very strange.

larry_david

He's being protected incredibly well. He made an epic save on Sat against Watford from the deflected Hungbo shot but last night for example, i dont think he had to make a single save did he?

Which is a great thing and as I said before, it's simple stuff what we needed and that's what Simon Moore screwed up. That Millwall rush out to 17 yards from the goal line when there was no danger at all is still haunting me.

WestEndAgro

His distribution was much better last night I'm not sure why most think he is a bad keeper, did reasonably well at the tail end of last season, and this season the clean sheets have been unbelievable.
People keep mentioning the defence protecting him, well that's what they are there for and doing it really well.
Get off his back.

Frostie

His distribution was much better last night I'm not sure why most think he is a bad keeper, did reasonably well at the tail end of last season, and this season the clean sheets have been unbelievable.
People keep mentioning the defence protecting him, well that's what they are there for and doing it really well.
Get off his back.

It's a very fair point though, clean sheets aren't really down to him much if he's not having to do anything.

You are of course correct about that being the defence's job but they are going well above & beyond in restricting meaningful opportunities from the opposition. Wilson is far better protected than Moore was at the start of the season.

In his 15 games Wilson has faced 47 Shots on Target (3.1 per game) conceding 11 goals from a Post Shot xG of 11.1.
Average PSxG per Shot on Target 0.24

As a comparison, in Simon Moore's 3 games he faced 15 Shots on Target (5.0 per game) conceding 7 goals from a Post Shot xG of 5.4.
Average PSxG per Shot on Target 0.37

After a terrible start, our PSxG Against is now 2nd lowest in the league. If we removed Moore's games it would be the lowest.

That's just shot stopping obviously, with Wilson we play long far more often & with less success. Also, despite how dreadful Moore's start to the season was he still claimed far more crosses per game & his distribution is a whole other level to Wilson's.

It goes without saying that Moore had to be dropped but it also shows how much the defence has improved & how we have changed style too. We shouldn't get too carried away by Wilson imo but he's doing what's asked of him ok for now.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When we're talking about him having less to do because the defence are protecting him, is it also worth asking why that defence could not do the same for Moore?

Does Wilson do things involved in organising them that enables them to protect him better?

Frostie

When we're talking about him having less to do because the defence are protecting him, is it also worth asking why that defence could not do the same for Moore?

Does Wilson do things involved in organising them that enables them to protect him better?

In my opinion no, he has zero command of his 6 yard box & there's been numerous times where Fadz has berated him as a result. I'm stunned more teams don't whip more corners under the crossbar (a la Hamer style).
In fairness though, as he's grown in confidence he has improved on his communication at least. Last night was one of the first times I've seen him actually issue instructions to the defence, he usually let's Fadz do it all. You will notice Robins is constantly on at him throughout a game too about his decision making, particularly in regards to his playing out from the back.

I think it's been a change in approach somewhat with the wingbacks defending deeper & growing familiarity between the defence that's seen the improvement along with good screening & support from Hamer & Sheaf.

Maybe ironically what Wilson doesn't do enables the defence to deal with things better too? At least they're not unsure if a keeper will come out when he's always glued to his line! This was why Moore had to drop out of the side.

The Philosopher

If you listen to his podcast he comes over as a great lad - a bit daft - but that’s what you want from a keeper.

I can’t imagine him being a big earner.

I think I’ve also read / heard that he’s a great laugh and a generally decent happy chappy in the player group - and that’s à brilliant ingredient to have in the mix.

fatso

I think Wilson has improved quite a bit over the last few games, he's still a long way from the finished article, but he must have sit loads of confidence from the record breaking run of clean sheets.

It's noticeable how he's now getting stick for his distribution rather than for conceding soft goals, which says a lot.

You've got to give the guy a lot of credit for helping us become the toughest defence in the championship, its no coincidence that we stopped conceding when he came into the team! ........ or is it when Hyam left 🤔

Sick Boy

I think Wilson has improved quite a bit over the last few games, he's still a long way from the finished article, but he must have sit loads of confidence from the record breaking run of clean sheets.

It's noticeable how he's now getting stick for his distribution rather than for conceding soft goals, which says a lot.

You've got to give the guy a lot of credit for helping us become the toughest defence in the championship, its no coincidence that we stopped conceding when he came into the team! ........ or is it when Hyam left 🤔
Would you have him as your number one next season?

The Philosopher

I did think that his recent run of clean sheets was just lucky but as time as gone on there’s only a certain amount you can put down to luck.

Next season, if we get MA in and splashing the cash we need to get the best keeper we can - to me it’s the most important thing to have in a side - the best goalie you can.

That said, Wilson is improving. He might be 30 but I think he’s played more games for us than anyone. Maybe he’s a late bloomer - if he continues as he is then whatever budget we have might be better spent elsewhere.

I think Moore will be no more though. Unfortunately.

Sick Boy

I did think that his recent run of clean sheets was just lucky but as time as gone on there’s only a certain amount you can put down to luck.

Next season, if we get MA in and splashing the cash we need to get the best keeper we can - to me it’s the most important thing to have in a side - the best goalie you can.

That said, Wilson is improving. He might be 30 but I think he’s played more games for us than anyone. Maybe he’s a late bloomer - if he continues as he is then whatever budget we have might be better spent elsewhere.

I think Moore will be no more though. Unfortunately.
Wilson’s out of contract at the end of the season, I’m not convinced he’ll be offered a new one.

The Philosopher

Wilson’s out of contract at the end of the season, I’m not convinced he’ll be offered a new one.
I think he’ll be offered a deal. It might not be top wages, I’m guessing he’ll be amongst the lower earners so it might be reflected.

The danger is if someone else offers him something better.

fatso

That all depends on our budget, ideally I'd bring in another keeper, but we need 3 new central defenders and wingback cover
And I'd like to see another striker as Godden looks injury prone, and Walker and Waghorn arnt cutting it.

So unless Sisu, Mike Ashley or whoever has money to chuck at things I'd stick with Wilson, as realistically he's as good as we can expect. And to be fair to him, he's looking better all the time.

fatso

I have to say he's more than likely nailed on to get a new contract. He's not one of the big earners, and he's shown he's capable of being a number 2 keeper when called on. If a new keeper arrives I think it's Moore who will move on to get regular starts.

Sky Blue Pete

Lost impressive for me is twofold
He was poor against Blackpool and you could argue could have done much better for the 2 goals
What was MR’s response?
Believe in him
His performances since then have been excellent. The save against Watford being the highlight

Users who are viewing this thread