Transfer Rumour #CARLBAKERDAY (1 Viewer)

steve82

Homegrown kids aren’t included in FFP are they?

The two fringe keepers both came from Arsenal's Academy
Not sure about the full details of FFP for home grown players but the DKE's and the likes of Jordan Shipley and Pontichelli could benefit from a few months playing men's football on loan

SCMP (League 1 & 2)

"Wage costs for Youth players on a professional contract are also excluded (i.e. players that have been in the club’s Youth Development scheme and have been given a pro contract); they must be 20 years of age or under at the start of the season to be discounted from the SCMP calculation."

At a guess those excluded from SCMP are both DKE twins, Stevenson, Shiperly, Addai, Maycock, Lahey, Hickman, Camwell, Ford, Finn, Thompson, Bayliss and Ponticelli should be too

better days

SCMP (League 1 & 2)

"Wage costs for Youth players on a professional contract are also excluded (i.e. players that have been in the club’s Youth Development scheme and have been given a pro contract); they must be 20 years of age or under at the start of the season to be discounted from the SCMP calculation."

At a guess those excluded from SCMP are both DKE twins, Stevenson, Shiperly, Addai, Maycock, Lahey, Hickman, Camwell, Ford, Finn, Thompson, Bayliss and Ponticelli should be too

Pretty sensible rule

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I'm going to get my named Baker City shirt done straight away and then if he doesn't come I'll just start a campaign to try and get Buck's Fizz back together again.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Hobo

Is he replacing Mary Berry?

Somerset Sky Blue

According to the Portsmouth news, Baker has been told he can leave, as it will free up more money for the manager. Kenny Jacket has said that if he isn't gone by Thursday (not in match squad tomorrow) he will have to fight for a place. Made a point of saying that Baker still has an excellent attitude.
Baker has said he will go if they pay him / receives similar contract BUT he isn't just going to leave as he needs to earn a living. Baker says it is all up to the club - he doesn't want to stay if not wanted / going to be used, but can't afford to just walk!
Manager has also said they have heard nothing from Coventry.
Not clear if MR wants him, but looks like a polite standoff at present, between Pompey and Baker.
Still unclear on his return or not (can MR only afford it with no fee/small signing on fee, does he still need to reduce wage bill - and, of course, does he want him?).

chiefdave

Fair play to him for being honest about it. Still can't work it out. Why was Jackett banging on in the summer that Baker was part of his plans if he wanted rid of him? He then starts the season before being kicked out of the squad right before kick off last week and told not to travel this week.

Not sure I buy the idea they need to get Baker out to free up money to bring someone in. He's under contract so they'll have to pay him off, how will that free up any money.

What is he now, 35? Probably only got a year or two left and doubt he's in a position to be sorted for life so why would he walk away for nothing when he is under contract?

Equally it wouldn't make sense for us, or anyone else, to offer to match the contract when Pompey are going to have to give him a pay off to leave and you could potentially get him on a lower wage.

If he gets a pay off from that could see him coming in as a part time player transitioning into a coaching role. Think he's done some of his badges so is looking to go down that route.

vow

Fair play to him for being honest about it. Still can't work it out. Why was Jackett banging on in the summer that Baker was part of his plans if he wanted rid of him? He then starts the season before being kicked out of the squad right before kick off last week and told not to travel this week.

Not sure I buy the idea they need to get Baker out to free up money to bring someone in. He's under contract so they'll have to pay him off, how will that free up any money.

What is he now, 35? Probably only got a year or two left and doubt he's in a position to be sorted for life so why would he walk away for nothing when he is under contract?

Equally it wouldn't make sense for us, or anyone else, to offer to match the contract when Pompey are going to have to give him a pay off to leave and you could potentially get him on a lower wage.

If he gets a pay off from that could see him coming in as a part time player transitioning into a coaching role. Think he's done some of his badges so is looking to go down that route.
We've paid a few player's off in our time, "Bomb Squad" anyone! I feel he won't be asking for the full year, but some negotiation/wiggle room to decide how much Pompey will give him.

I hope he gets it sorted for his own sake, even if he doesn't come to us, but I hope he will.

I read somewhere he's doing his UEFA B Licence, so an added coach to City's staff ,as you say Chief, however he's also into his health and fitness (big time) it seems too, looking at his twitter page, so he obviously looks after himself, so could play for 1-2 seasons at least.

better days

Seems like both sides are adopting their negotiating positions
I suspect Jackett was hoping to get a significant transfer payment
We won't pay one but I suspect Baker will come anyway before the window closes

oucho

I doubt he will join us. There, I said it.

Grendel

Seems like both sides are adopting their negotiating positions
I suspect Jackett was hoping to get a significant transfer payment
We won't pay one but I suspect Baker will come anyway before the window closes

No one would pay ten pence for baker. We were the only club they ever paid a fee for him weren't we?

Adge

Spotted outside Huish park in his Yeovil top at full time.

BigadamL

I will hold my hands up if I'm wrong but I can't see him doing anything special if/when he comes back, can't see what all the fuss is about.

Grendel

Whose Davies?

oucho

I will hold my hands up if I'm wrong but I can't see him doing anything special if/when he comes back, can't see what all the fuss is about.
Agreed - given his first spell its' hard to see what all the fuss is about.

#SHFWF

Somerset Sky Blue

Agreed - given his first spell its' hard to see what all the fuss is about.

#SHFWF
I'll take the bait, as it I'd baker day (rename thread to baker summer?)

Statbunker says his time at Pompey, MK and Cov yielded 52 goals and 37 assists from 299 appearances (inc 68 as sub).

High number of appearances suggest he is fit and not injury prone, decent set piece taker, certainly very experienced in the football league, including a few promotions, he would be a positive influence on younger players, (may want to coach - though wouldn't sign for this reason alone), and, crucially, wants to play for us.

Of course, he is 34, not getting any quicker and could we do better? Any signing made in the next few days needs to boost our chance of promotion this year rather than focus on young players we can develop in a few.

I don't believe he will singlehandedly guarantee promotion (very few will at this level/money we will be offering), but he will add to our team/squad.

Down to MR in terms of what he needs (especially if anyone is going out the door), but I would welcome him back.

Finally, of course he is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy!

oucho

I agree he's likely to be better on his day than Vincenti, who would be the player he'd most likely replace in the line-up. That said, when he was here "his day" was once in about every 10 games.

Somerset Sky Blue

A bit harsh - perhaps his 'day' is more one in 5 or 6...have we many others who will meet this?
Doyle will be more consistent, but less likely to win a game.
More importantly, when it isn't their 'day' who will add most - Baker, Vinc - or other?

Users who are viewing this thread