City of Culture Bid (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueZack

Or if you're on Christmas card terms with the local council. Or if you're actively assisting the bid.

Grendel

Do you think that a good relationship would help when dealing with the council? Would you think that the council would be more likely to be proud of CCFC if they were not being dragged through the courts by their owners? Or do you think that it is purely coincidental that CCFC has no mention? Can I sell you my second hand car?

Do Coventry rugby club get top billing?

Otis

I was never talking about sponsorship. My point was that a city of culture bid that makes no reference to one of the few things that people might know the city for, and a huge piece of the city's history, and I find it staggering that in a promotional video that a 130 year old football club doesn't even get a mention.

Doesn't this go to show that our owners have absolutely zero interest in the city of Coventry.

Local owners, or owners with the club truly at its heart would surely have resulted in a much more full on involvement with the bid.

Nick

Administrator
Doesn't this go to show that our owners have absolutely zero interest in the city of Coventry.

Local owners, or owners with the club truly at its heart would surely have resulted in a much more full on involvement with the bid.
Same for cov rugby etc too then?

Otis

I'm not talking about Cov Rugby though, Nick. Coventry City have been the number one sporting team in this city for 130 years. Different owners I am convinced would have resulted in more involvement.

I bet a lot of people around the country don't even know we have a rugby club and didn't someone on here say Cov Rugby were involved anyway?

Nick

Administrator
I'm not talking about Cov Rugby though, Nick. Coventry City have been the number one sporting team in this city for 130 years. Different owners I am convinced would have resulted in more involvement.

I bet a lot of people around the country don't even know we have a rugby club and didn't someone on here say Cov Rugby were involved anyway?
Cov rugby have a logo on their site yes.

Surely people outside the city don't know about a fair few of the things too?

martcov

Looking at the website it looks as though it's a partnership bid with Cov Uni and Warwick Uni, I would like to think that the bid would do everything it could to win the city of culture and that means publicising ccfc and other local teams for the benefit of the bid, despite their issue with our London based owners. After all, was took 42k to Wembley not long ago and won some silverware which lifted the mood of the city. In life you have to often work with people you don't like or don't get on with the common good. This IMO is one of those times.

Oh and I don't need a car thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pity about that.

Why do you think they prefer Wasps Rugby to CCFC?

stupot07

Pity about that.

Why do you think they prefer Wasps Rugby to CCFC?
Well there's 2 other alternative reasons from the court action that you're claiming is solely to blame:

1) Wasps have handed cash over to the bid (no doubt cash that was raised on the Ricoh bond scheme) so "its a cash for publicity" pushing them as the only major sports franchise in Coventry.

Or

2) having sold the Ricoh so cheaply, supporting a team to relocate 90 miles from its community (hypocrisy after all the Sixfields nonsense), seeing the Ricoh used to raise money and landed with debt (reason they never wanted the football club to have it), losing money from having loan paid off, secret behind closed doors decisions (I wonder if wasps have brought in £60+m pa or whatever it was into the local community?), the city of rugby initiative, the helping to force out the academy with planning application in favour of wasps (have they actually started building yet?), falling wasps crowds, etc. It is in their interests to help Wasps become a success, to justify all of the above. CCFC has never been publicised or pushed by the council as Wasps have.

I imagine it is a mixture of the all 3, not solely the court case as you claim.

Its interesting that you never post anything football related.....

torchomatic

What a points scoring thread this is.

I wonder if there is an arguement like this on “the specials” website as they aren’t mentioned anywhere.

He says point scoring.

torchomatic

At the end of the day the football club, the one that has been in the City for 130 years, should get a mention. It really doesn't bother me if Cov win the bid or not, but I think they have a cheek championing a team parachuted into the City, a team with zero affinity for the area, for their "culture" bid.

Nick

Administrator
What a points scoring thread this is.

I wonder if there is an arguement like this on “the specials” website as they aren’t mentioned anywhere.

Imagine if Oasis were instead because they had a big advertising budget ;)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
NEWS: CCFC is backing Coventry's campaign to become UK City of Culture in 2021
PUSB: 'From the Boardroom' versus Notts County

I searched for City of Culture on the CCFC website. There's also an ad board on a matchday too i've seen and it's in the programme. Soit would appear the club is involved and backing it.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know. They have actively promoted the bid and shown some support. Good on the club

Leading on from that it would seem that CCFC could, if it is handled correctly, develop that support to enhance perception of their "brand" (hate marketing speak) to demonstrate CCFC's support for the city of Coventry, and highlight its importance and history of being the number 1 sports club in the city. That's irrespective of the owners, or court cases or whether hard cash has been exchanged, or whether they speak to the Council or whether included in the Bid hand outs . Its an opportunity to improve things for the club why not use it. It doesn't have to cost much or perhaps anything. Positive PR, which seems to be what Boddy has brought to the table.

Details of bid on this website
UK City of Culture 2021, Coventry – UK City of Culture 2021 Bid

Last edited:

ccfcway

It’s unfair if those with the highest budget get the most coverage. How can anyone compete with the budget for lady Godiva. She makes a fortune every year from her festival

martcov

Well there's 2 other alternative reasons from the court action that you're claiming is solely to blame:

1) Wasps have handed cash over to the bid (no doubt cash that was raised on the Ricoh bond scheme) so "its a cash for publicity" pushing them as the only major sports franchise in Coventry.

Or

2) having sold the Ricoh so cheaply, supporting a team to relocate 90 miles from its community (hypocrisy after all the Sixfields nonsense), seeing the Ricoh used to raise money and landed with debt (reason they never wanted the football club to have it), losing money from having loan paid off, secret behind closed doors decisions (I wonder if wasps have brought in £60+m pa or whatever it was into the local community?), the city of rugby initiative, the helping to force out the academy with planning application in favour of wasps (have they actually started building yet?), falling wasps crowds, etc. It is in their interests to help Wasps become a success, to justify all of the above. CCFC has never been publicised or pushed by the council as Wasps have.

I imagine it is a mixture of the all 3, not solely the court case as you claim.

Its interesting that you never post anything football related.....

i said the cash helped. Repeatedly.

Their crowds were not falling when they got involved.

I haven't made it it over this season. I have 2 businesses to run. I gain my information on CCFC from you guys and cannot say much about performance etc when I haven't seen it.

Last televised game that I saw here was Sheffield and I did comment on it.

Whilst you were watching Forest Green, I was watching Porto in Leipzig. Not really relevant to CCFC, but it is easier for me to drive to Leipzig than get to a mid week game in Cov.. I was really impressed with the quality and fight displayed by the Leipzig forwards. Haven't seen such skill live in years.

Nick

Administrator
i said the cash helped. Repeatedly.

Their crowds were not falling when they got involved.

I haven't made it it over this season. I have 2 businesses to run. I gain my information on CCFC from you guys and cannot say much about performance etc when I haven't seen it.

Last televised game that I saw here was Sheffield and I did comment on it.

Whilst you were watching Forest Green, I was watching Porto in Leipzig. Not really relevant to CCFC, but it is easier for me to drive to Leipzig than get to a mid week game in Cov.. I was really impressed with the quality and fight displayed by the Leipzig forwards. Haven't seen such skill live in years.

I reckon he went to watch Coventry City rather than Forest Green.

ccfctommy

Does sport really have anything to do with culture?

Culture is music, the arts, archetechture etc right?

SkyBlueZack

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know. They have actively promoted the bid and shown some support. Good on the club

Leading on from that it would seem that CCFC could, if it is handled correctly, develop that support to enhance perception of their "brand" (hate marketing speak) to demonstrate CCFC's support for the city of Coventry, and highlight its importance and history of being the number 1 sports club in the city. That's irrespective of the owners, or court cases or whether hard cash has been exchanged, or whether they speak to the Council or whether included in the Bid hand outs . Its an opportunity to improve things for the club why not use it. It doesn't have to cost much or perhaps anything. Positive PR, which seems to be what Boddy has brought to the table.

Details of bid on this website
UK City of Culture 2021, Coventry – UK City of Culture 2021 Bid

So now we know they have been actively promoting the bid. Are we going to ask why they have been excluded from the bid? Are we going to acknowledge stupot's points about why we are not in the bid? Or are we still going to scream SISU?

Otis

Does sport really have anything to do with culture?

Culture is music, the arts, archetechture etc right?
Well it's always a drama at the City, so I think we qualify on that front anyway and it has often been said that Biamou is like Bambi on ice, so there's a bit of ballet right there.

Think you will also find that Andy Thorn was acting manager.

Last edited:

martcov

So now we know they have been actively promoting the bid. Are we going to ask why they have been excluded from the bid? Are we going to acknowledge stupot's points about why we are not in the bid? Or are we still going to scream SISU?

It was a combination of constant CCFC bad news and money IMO.

SkyBlueZack

Really? So you don't agree with Stupot's post? Which I believe sums it up very well. CCFC fit into the cities culture via FA cup, Jimmy Hill and recently checkatrade. Not exclusive to just these. Now when doing the presentation, have they covered Wasps losing the league or Wasps winning? Would they include CCFC relegation or clips of the 87 victory parade?

It's a combination of anti CCFC feeling from the council and we're skint. Yet people seem to think the council are not out to marginalise us. Some may argue with fans and a council so anti CCFC, that we have owners we deserve.

SkyBlueZack

CCFC are either a part of the culture or they're not. It shouldn't be dependent on money, or bad news, or court cases or anything of the sort. The fact that fans think that is the case and it's acceptable is appalling IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread