Coventry 1883 (2 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

Wasnt wimbledon a last minute job, they had to make an appeal to get a team iirc. It cant hurt to ask the relevant league for an opinion, there is a lot of empathy for us from many football people. Jobs are at stake also.

Anyone got a contact in the midland alliance?

Pretty sure Wimbledon started in about May, so they still had time.

This needs to be done properly anyway, not rushed. That way we could get some proper local sponsors involved.

I think it would generate massive interest if we had the sky blues "returning" to the city at the start of the 2014-15 season. It would be our sky blues, not sisu's.

Do this and we have won, sisu have lost.

mark82

This needs to be done properly anyway, not rushed. That way we could get some proper local sponsors involved.

I think it would generate massive interest if we had the sky blues "returning" to the city at the start of the 2014-15 season. It would be our sky blues, not sisu's.

Spot on. Love Gary's enthusiasm but it needs to be done right. Could it be worth talking to the Coventry United guys? They have an entry in the league for this year and are a "new" club so not going to be club stealing. They have similar ideas but have gone about things in a way that won't get them much support. May be able to buy a majority stake in them for the fans and then change names/colours etc at the end of this season which is when the league would allow it. Combine the efforts.

Gary.j

I agree it should be done correctly, my enthusiasm for swiftness is partly due our strong negotiating position at the moment, plus acl may be out of business after a year witoiut a team.

mark82

I agree it should be done correctly, my enthusiasm for swiftness is partly due our strong negotiating position at the moment, plus acl may be out of business after a year witoiut a team.

Understand that but it will not be possible to register a new team for this season. Would love to be proved wrong so don't let me stop you. Give the Birmingham FA a bell tomorrow and see what they say. That is your first port of call.

bigfatronssba

Spot on. Love Gary's enthusiasm but it needs to be done right. Could it be worth talking to the Coventry United guys? They have an entry in the league for this year and are a "new" club so not going to be club stealing. They have similar ideas but have gone about things in a way that won't get them much support. May be able to buy a majority stake in them for the fans and then change names/colours etc at the end of this season which is when the league would allow it. Combine the efforts.

I agree. The problem with Coventry United is it doesn't feel like a continuation of Ccfc. Need to play in sky blue, have the nickname of the sky blues, and change the utd bit of their name.

bigfatronssba

Acl will be OK for a year, especially if the new club started talks with them soon enough so they could budget for it.

mark82

I agree. The problem with Coventry United is it doesn't feel like a continuation of Ccfc. Need to play in sky blue, have the nickname of the sky blues, and change the utd bit of their name.

My personal preference would be something like Coventry Singers FC or City of Coventry FC (which would retain CCFC initials). Coventry 1883 would be ok but not very inspiring. Anything but AFC Coventry.

Evo1883

the best person to speak to would be joe elliot ,the ricoh is free , haskel could buy it still and fund a growing beast from the bottom to the top FC COVENTRY 1883

mark82

the best person to speak to would be joe elliot ,the ricoh is free , haskel could buy it still and fund a growing beast from the bottom to the top FC COVENTRY 1883

Not sure if having someone else own the club is a great idea to be honest. Fans need to have a controlling stake to stop this shit from ever happening again. 51% fan ownership minimum.

Evo1883

Not sure if having someone else own the club is a great idea to be honest. Fans need to have a controlling stake to stop this shit from ever happening again. 51% fan ownership minimum.

Problem is could we as fans get or raise the funds to rise as quickly as we would like , i certainly wouldnt mind having a millionaire owner in the lower leagues , he wouldnt even need to invest that much to get us back to the football league

mark82

Problem is could we as fans get or raise the funds to rise as quickly as we would like , i certainly wouldnt mind having a millionaire owner in the lower leagues , he wouldnt even need to invest that much to get us back to the football league

Maybe as a minority partner in the club and they could have a majority stake in the stadium and ground. That way investor could make their money and help fund a club. It is possible and works well in Germany.

BATHUMP

Surely if we started this new club the Premier League would let us start there. They'd probably ask us who we want to kick out. Simple..............................

I can't believe some of the comments on here. We would start at the very bottom, in our own minds we are the most important team in the world. But the fact that the FA and FL ain't helping in anyway shows they don't care and therefore we are not considered a special case.

As for comments about getting our finger out to get the team set up for this season, are you crazy.

Everyone is talking about a new name. You're all in cloud cuckoo land.

Gary.j

Understand that but it will not be possible to register a new team for this season. Would love to be proved wrong so don't let me stop you. Give the Birmingham FA a bell tomorrow and see what they say. That is your first port of call.

Your probably right, but i will call them tomorrow.

BATHUMP

This is brilliant entertainment we are now talking about a millionaire owning a Midland Combination team and playing at a stadium with a capacity of 30 odd thousand. Perhaps we can buy Rooney he is looking for a new club, or getting Fergie out of retirement surely he would want to manage us. If only we had this idea earlier we could have got Neymar.

Womble

The decision of the fa was made on may 28th, standing at the fa that day the overwhelming feeling was 1. Kill people, 2. Start again from scratch.
We already had the dons trust and very quickly things fell into place. We got a ground share, registered with the London fa and started to apply to leagues. First we tried the ryman league and because it was so late we had to get 95% of the member clubs to go into ryman 2 (prem, 1,2). We failed and only got 87%. We then applied to the combined counties which was step 9, same as ryman 2 and the rest is history.

We had no way forward, the fa had made a binding decision via legal arbitration, it was the last resort to continue to watch the club be moved bit by bit or wash our hands and start again.

Coventry can be saved, you guys can do it but you have to stick together and fight the common enemy. Every cov fan is vital now more than ever.

mark82

Surely if we started this new club the Premier League would let us start there. They'd probably ask us who we want to kick out. Simple..............................

I can't believe some of the comments on here. We would start at the very bottom, in our own minds we are the most important team in the world. But the fact that the FA and FL ain't helping in anyway shows they don't care and therefore we are not considered a special case.

As for comments about getting our finger out to get the team set up for this season, are you crazy.

Everyone is talking about a new name. You're all in cloud cuckoo land.

Agree that it can't be done this season. I believe we would have to start at the bottom but there may be health and safety considerations though as grounds at lower end of non league may not be able to cope with a couple of thousand fans. This is certainly not an easy choice, and won't be for everyone.

mark82

This is brilliant entertainment we are now talking about a millionaire owning a Midland Combination team and playing at a stadium with a capacity of 30 odd thousand. Perhaps we can buy Rooney he is looking for a new club, or getting Fergie out of retirement surely he would want to manage us. If only we had this idea earlier we could have got Neymar.

Again Ricoh not really realistic. Haskell would not be interested in reality. Butts and fan ownership.

Gary.j

The decision of the fa was made on may 28th, standing at the fa that day the overwhelming feeling was 1. Kill people, 2. Start again from scratch.
We already had the dons trust and very quickly things fell into place. We got a ground share, registered with the London fa and started to apply to leagues. First we tried the ryman league and because it was so late we had to get 95% of the member clubs to go into ryman 2 (prem, 1,2). We failed and only got 87%. We then applied to the combined counties which was step 9, same as ryman 2 and the rest is history.

We had no way forward, the fa had made a binding decision via legal arbitration, it was the last resort to continue to watch the club be moved bit by bit or wash our hands and start again.

Coventry can be saved, you guys can do it but you have to stick together and fight the common enemy. Every cov fan is vital now more than ever.

You sir, and your club, are an inspiration!

Evo1883

lap it up ,we are just starting lol,its called a vision or a dream ,reality or not we can stil have fun with it ,calm down

covmutley

Ok, I'm going to stick my head above the parapet. Be gentle.

I think a new club is the only way forward and have been working up something Basic this morning. Maybe this is viable? Maybe it will at least put pressure on sisu? What I wouldn't want it to do is split the fans. First priority has to be to get the existing club back.

Anyway, www.coventry1883.co.uk

I'm not trying to become your new chairman. I'm not even trying to say this is a new club. What I am trying to do is gain support to show how a new club could be created, get fan support for it, and if proves necessary in 12 months time then help start a new club.

I know someone has already set up a Facebook page and if other plans are in place or people feel this s damaging to other efforts I will take the site down. Just thought this might be a useful contribution to the fight!

ajsccfc

All this talk of a new club completely flies in the face of people talking about having backbone and fight, unless 'Keep Cov in Cov' stops being a cause the second they kick off in Northampton.

RogerH

I think a new club is the only way forward and have been working up something Basic this morning. Maybe this is viable? Maybe it will at least put pressure on sisu? What I wouldn't want it to do is split the fans. First priority has to be to get the existing club back.

I'm not trying to become your new chairman. I'm not even trying to say this is a new club. What I am trying to do is gain support to show how a new club could be created, get fan support for it, and if proves necessary in 12 months time then help start a new club.

I know someone has already set up a Facebook page and if other plans are in place or people feel this s damaging to other efforts I will take the site down. Just thought this might be a useful contribution to the fight!

All those who are in favour of a new club need to get together and form a single way forward. Possible investors like Haskell, Hoffman and Elliott together with the SBT who have over 2000 members need to be involved.

OK, you won't take everybody with you, at least not to start with, but eveybody has a free choice, like a band, you play to the people that have turned up, not the ones who haven't.

mark82

Stick a link on to the Facebook page too. www.facebook.com/coventry1883/

Otis

As usual unfortunately, people are painting this as simply black and white.

And as per usual, it's neither.

A new club doesn't have to be a breakaway club or phoenix club. It can be whatever it needs to be for the individual.

If a new club is formed and people want to follow it instead of CCFC, fine.

If the club is formed and people want to follow the new club as well as CCFC, that's fine too.

If the club is formed and people want to follow the new club merely until CCFC come home, then that's equally fine.

If people want to still support CCFC but find they cannot bring themselves to go to Northampton and would like to watch a bit of local football to occupy their Saturday afternoons, then so be it.

I don't see what the problem is. Surely the club is going to be whatever it is going to be for the individual. If a new club is formed and proudly says it is a breakaway club does that mean that the individuals who want to follow CCFC can't go? Course not.

The club can purport to be anything it wants. Individuals though can follow the club for whatever reason they want, be that avid supporter, casual interest or simply because they won't travel to Northampton.

All I seemingly hear on here are 'phoenix club' and 'breakaway club.'

If only it was so simple.

Last edited:

stupot07

I just find it a bit divisive Otis, as you have alluded to there are many reasons and caveats for supporting or not a new club. If people want to set up a new team fine, but lets not badge it a 'Phoenix' or 'breakaway' as a way of recruiting fans if that's not the intension of the club......but unfortunately it is being described by those most vocal in support as such.

Otis

But Leshtur can say they are our rivals. They can say they are not our rivals. Doesn't matter.

CCFC are proudly saying 'together we are Coventry' which is quite bizarre considering they have given very little consideration to the fans of Coventry City.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if someone set a club up as a rival breakaway. I would probably go up because I won't go to Northampton. Doesn't mean I have to accept the club as a rival club.

just the same as this NOPM campaign. It apparently means different things to different people.

mark82

As usual unfortunately, people are painting this as simply black and white.

And as per usual, it's neither.

A new club doesn't have to be a breakaway club or phoenix club. It can be whatever it needs to be for the individual.

If a new club is formed and people want to follow it instead of CCFC, fine.

If the club is formed and people want to follow the new club as well as CCFC, that's fine too.

If the club is formed and people want to follow the new club merely until CCFC come home, then that's equally fine.

If people want to still support CCFC but find they cannot bring themselves to go to Northampton and would like to watch a bit of local football to occupy their Saturday afternoons, then so be it.

I don't see what the problem is. Surely the club is going to be whatever it is going to be for the individual. If a new club is formed and proudly says it is a breakaway club does that mean that the individuals who want to follow CCFC can't go? Course not.

The club can purport to be anything it wants. Individuals though can follow the club for whatever reason they want, be that avid supporter, casual interest or simply because they won't travel to Northampton.

All I seemingly hear on here are 'phoenix club' and 'breakaway club.'

If only it was so simple.

Couldn't agree more Otis.

Stu - breakaway club or Phoenix club are the words people understand but call it what the hell you like. It would be a club for Coventry City fans who are disillusioned with the current situation for whatever reason. They would play in sky blue, be nicknamed the sky blues, play in Coventry and we could sing CCFC songs. I know it's not for everyone (and youve made it clear its not for you) but if everyone had to agree nothing would ever get done. If there is an appetite for this I think it will happen.

By the way, I would fall into the both category.

Otis

Have to add, that after 5 years or whatever it was to bring CCFC home, the 2 clubs could possibly merge together to form one club once again.

This would be especially appealing to the likes of myself, who have said they are concerned that after 5 years away they might well have turned their backs on Coventry City forever.

If these people went and supported the new club it would help keep them having the passion and desire for football and the attending of games, perpetuate the habit and stop them finding something different to do on Saturday afternoons.

I would probably go to the support the new club. That would sustain my interest and stop me developing any new hobby and then when CCFC came back there would be no real change to my weekly Saturday regime or habits.

Last edited:

saltaire bantam

Have to add, that after 5 years or whatever it was to bring CCFC home, the 2 clubs could possibly merge together to form one club once again.

This is what I envisage because without fans SISU have nothing of value.

Get behind a new club and I'd anticipate that at some point in the not too distant future, an opportunity to acquire the name Coventry City would occur. Then the circle would be complete

Dean Allsop

[h=5]Coventry City FC.... I have supported Coventry City since, well as long as I can remember, I have always said I would support them whatever league they are in that has not changed, will I support them at Sixfields, No, Will I support another Coventry, AFC or United or whatever, simple answer NO, they are not Coventry City, it would be like supporting Villa never gonna happen !! I will support Coventry City as much as I can, My only hope is that we come through this, you never know someone will get SHITSU out and takeover the club and put us back to where we belong HOME IN COVENTRY PUSBs[/h]

Otis

Coventry City FC.... I have supported Coventry City since, well as long as I can remember, I have always said I would support them whatever league they are in that has not changed, will I support them at Sixfields, No, Will I support another Coventry, AFC or United or whatever, simple answer NO, they are not Coventry City, it would be like supporting Villa never gonna happen !! I will support Coventry City as much as I can, My only hope is that we come through this, you never know someone will get SHITSU out and takeover the club and put us back to where we belong HOME IN COVENTRY PUSBs

Can I ask why it would be like supporting Villa? A Coventry team in Coventry with very tangible links to Coventry City?

Can understand people not following the new club, but to compare it to supporting a team from a completely different city entirely I find quite bizarre.

tbh444

Different circumstances, but FC United seem have done a very good job of bridging the gap between people who have given up for good, people who are temporarily disillusioned with the owners, and people who still support the team but can't afford it or whatever... that said they had a very big fanbase to pick off 2000 people from - I think we'd have to be realistic and expect crowds of no more than a few hundred, anything more a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread