Match Thread Coventry City - Port Vale Match Thread - Saturday 9th Sep (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I'm quite looking forward to it, I reckon Port Vale will be trying to go for it so hopefully we can exploit that rather than struggling if they park the bus.

Liquid Gold

I'm quite looking forward to it, I reckon Port Vale will be trying to go for it so hopefully we can exploit that rather than struggling if they park the bus.
I'd rather a 3-2 than a 1-0. Part of the frustration from fans has come from our lack of invention so a couple of goals would go a long way.

torchomatic

I'm not too worried about Saturday, to be honest. I'm hoping that Robins has finally sorted the lot of them out and they will play like they did against Notts County. Since that game I've been a little disappointed with the players, particularly Kelly and Doyle who I thought would really add some steel to our midfield. I tend to agree with Robins on McNulty. I think once he gets a goal he will get more. He was unlucky on Saturday not to get on the score sheet.

Amcoventry

Anything but a win will make for a long nervous season. Picking 3-0 (to us)

Esoterica

I'd rather a 3-2 than a 1-0. Part of the frustration from fans has come from our lack of invention so a couple of goals would go a long way.
Agree with this. Would like a comfortable 4-1 or 4-2. Something that shows the masses, who aren't interested in the intricacies of formations and the subtleties of tactical changes, that this squad has plenty of goals in it if set up correctly.

Sky Blue Harry H

Nephew's wedding at 2.30pm, 30 miles north of Newcastle - we're bound to win!

alsager93

Christ the king car park. You can book and pay online for 4 quid. It's a ten minute walk. Is the smurf still working the bars to save a few quid? This may not have happened, it sounds like something I could have dreamt.

It did happen, it wasn't really to save a few quid (then again who knows with Smurf) more helping out at matches with more fans attending such as games vs Crewe, Sheffield and certain games etc. Though this was a while back and doesn't even attend the matches anymore as he has in his own words "grown numb" to Port Vale. Cheers for the recommendation.

alsager93

Thanks for posting. Genuine question and forgive my ignorance, but what is it that Smurthwaite is doing so badly?
He's basically running the football club into the ground. We bought in around 19 players this season alone and paid 0 for the lot of them, echoes of last season when he brought in an inexperienced foreign manager who in turn brought in a bunch of inexperienced players with him. His reason for bringing him in was because he was a friend of Jose Mourinho.

The current manager is tactically inept, likes to play one up front and we can't even get the ball up to our striker most times. Only think I can say is we play better second half and have the odd moment here and there of little bursts of brilliance, if you can call it that but apart from that it's not really crowdpleasing stuff. I think we'll take anywhere between 600-1000.

Edit:- He wants around £6Mill for a club hurtling towards non league and won't accept a penny less, which is why he won't sell up.

Gazolba

Agree with this. Would like a comfortable 4-1 or 4-2. Something that shows the masses, who aren't interested in the intricacies of formations and the subtleties of tactical changes, that this squad has plenty of goals in it if set up correctly.
The last time we scored 4 against Port Vale was in 1921. And we've never ever scored 3 against them.
They've scored 3 against us six times.

Esoterica

The last time we scored 4 against Port Vale was in 1921. And we've never ever scored 3 against them.
They've scored 3 against us six times.
I see. That prediction was a bit wild then. I'l change it it 4-0 with Lee Burge being impenetrable. Well, his goal at least.
giphy.gif

letsallsingtogether

He's basically running the football club into the ground. We bought in around 19 players this season alone and paid 0 for the lot of them, echoes of last season when he brought in an inexperienced foreign manager who in turn brought in a bunch of inexperienced players with him. His reason for bringing him in was because he was a friend of Jose Mourinho.

The current manager is tactically inept, likes to play one up front and we can't even get the ball up to our striker most times. Only think I can say is we play better second half and have the odd moment here and there of little bursts of brilliance, if you can call it that but apart from that it's not really crowdpleasing stuff. I think we'll take anywhere between 600-1000.

Edit:- He wants around £6Mill for a club hurtling towards non league and won't accept a penny less, which is why he won't sell up.
Sounds familiar!
6 million is a bargain you should try buying ours.;)

Warwickhunt

Port Vale will park the bus because they know City dont know how to break it down, Sad I know but its a fact!! thats why we got relegated last year, every manager knows how to stop City

covcity4life

Port Vale will park the bus because they know City dont know how to break it down, Sad I know but its a fact!! thats why we got relegated last year, every manager knows how to stop City

dont think many parked bus vs us,they just smashed us last year!

we ar eonly 5 games into a 46 game season ffs , we have time to find the breakthrough, i think we will see big improvement on sat

Warwickhunt

Basically MR needs to play Andreu 8/10 yards in front of Doyle so that your midfield playmaker can try and suck the opposition's defensive midfielders out to press the ball If you're too safe on the ball with 2 midfields side by side the opposition will just sit off you and shift across. What you want them to do is lose their discipline and sprint out because then if we're good enough we will find bigger gaps because they've got one less player behind the ball. Drawing the opposition out of position with patient, possession and quick passing football. Then when they break their lines, your deep-lying creator Doyle or Centre Backs pushing forward can kick into gear, picking the right pass to create a goalscoring opportunity.

bawtryneal

I'm not too worried about Saturday, to be honest. I'm hoping that Robins has finally sorted the lot of them out and they will play like they did against Notts County. Since that game I've been a little disappointed with the players, particularly Kelly and Doyle who I thought would really add some steel to our midfield. I tend to agree with Robins on McNulty. I think once he gets a goal he will get more. He was unlucky on Saturday not to get on the score sheet.

Love the optimism and nice comments but you couldn't have gone to Yeovil and Chesterfield games.

letsallsingtogether

McNulty was nearly always in the right place just needs to do the simple things and he will score.
He should have buried that header in the second half just put his head on it and bang middle of the net.
Instead he went for the spectacular top corner job and knocks it wide.
He has looked ok so maybe just maybe tomorrow will be his day.

oucho

Had a little flutter on us winning today.

hill83

Basically MR needs to play Andreu 8/10 yards in front of Doyle so that your midfield playmaker can try and suck the opposition's defensive midfielders out to press the ball If you're too safe on the ball with 2 midfields side by side the opposition will just sit off you and shift across. What you want them to do is lose their discipline and sprint out because then if we're good enough we will find bigger gaps because they've got one less player behind the ball. Drawing the opposition out of position with patient, possession and quick passing football. Then when they break their lines, your deep-lying creator Doyle or Centre Backs pushing forward can kick into gear, picking the right pass to create a goalscoring opportunity.

Simple as that. Give Robins a bell.

Users who are viewing this thread