Coventry United FC (1 Viewer)

Covstu

I would be interested. But as I say, I loathe the name. It conjures up nothing fresh or innovative.

something tells me you dont like the name..........:confused:

You are completely missing the point. It will fail, and it will fail because they have got the basics wrong at the very beginning. People are merely pointing out that if they went at this differently it might succeed - that is constructive - but they aren't keen to listen (up to them if they aren't interested in people's opinion, but don't get your knickers in a twist when people question it), and as they keep stressing this is nothing to do with CCFC - why start a PR campaign on a CCFC forum because it will just be dismissed out of hand, especially as there are people out there genuinely interested in the idea of a new club.

One post on SBT hardly constitutes a PR Campaign does it? I accept some of your points maybe if you addressed them directly they may consider them? It may not be of interest if the consortium wins the day!!

Just think he is saying they have missed an opportunity.

The club needs fans and there will be many thousands of fans not going to Walsall, should that move go ahead.

Here was a chance to build a club disenfranchised City fans could identify with.

again if these points were raised to the club directly, I am sure they would listen, especially as they are trying to cultivate a following from CCFC fans. lets hope the consortium happens and the subject for discussions might well be of transfer targets, promotion and the prem.

theferret

One post on SBT hardly constitutes a PR Campaign does it? I accept some of your points maybe if you addressed them directly they may consider them? It may not be of interest if the consortium wins the day!!

The same point has been made on this thread by many people and has been dismissed each time.

Anyhow, your second point is correct - all this is very much dependent on what happens in the next few weeks. If the club are taken out of Coventry though (especially if it is the full 3 years) then I fully expect that a real breakaway club will start in some form. It could have been these guys setting those wheels in motion is my point, but it won't be for the reasons given by many on here.

Just hope none of this happens and we get taken over, because if it doesn't things will get a whole lot messier than they are now.

Otis

The same point has been made on this thread by many people and has been dismissed each time.

Anyhow, your second point is correct - all this is very much dependent on what happens in the next few weeks. If the club are taken out of Coventry though (especially if it is the full 3 years) then I fully expect that a real breakaway club will start in some form. It could have been these guys setting those wheels in motion is my point, but it won't be for the reasons given by many on here.

Just hope none of this happens and we get taken over, because if it doesn't things will get a whole lot messier than they are now.

And I think that is quite key, Ferret.

If the Walsall move went ahead I do believe there will indeed be some rival breakaway club set up.

If so, I dare say they would make every effort to make disenfranchised City fans feel part of this new identity.

skybluelee

This whole thing is a nonsense. A few city fans announce on a Coventry City forum that they are start a brand new club (which by pure coincidence coincides with plans to move Coventry City out of the city for 3 years) but then declare this is not an attempt to set up a breakaway club, and not only that the club will have a name nobody likes and play in colours that are not associated with the city or its sporting heritage in any way. What is the point then?

You can only assume the people involved were all drunk down the pub when they came up with this idea. They have missed a trick - because if they announced plans for a club that the people could identify with they would have support and there would already be a campaign building and media interest. As it is, they are just starting a local football club that will attract mums, dads, wives and mates and pretty much nobody else. In which case, why is this being discussed on a CCFC forum?

30 pages of debate summed up by this one concise post. Glad I skim read most of the pages.

mark82

And I think that is quite key, Ferret.

If the Walsall move went ahead I do believe there will indeed be some rival breakaway club set up.

If so, I dare say they would make every effort to make disenfranchised City fans feel part of this new identity.

I agree. In fact if SISU stay in charge and move us to Walsall I think a fan owned breakaway is the way to go a la FC United of Manchester. I will be more than happy to be involved in that (and have put some thought into it - FC United started with £100,000. Not that much if you think about it). However, that will take a while to get off the ground and I will be happy to watch this new team along with other local teams next season.

mark82

Just been looking on non league matters forum. Didn't realise this was a takeover of Coventry Spartans FC rather than a new club.

ant's troops

Yes Coventry amateurs reformed 5 years ago which was the original club which then became cov sporting so they won't be able to use that name because of the history connected to the 2 clubs

SkyBlueSwiss

With all the crap that's going on at our club right now, the last thing we need is a breakaway club. Coventry City is my club not these clowns.

Could I somewhat more politely disagree with you to a certain extent, Mr Ruffian?
Coventry City is the club that all of us support, but if things go SISU's way, how much longer will OUR Coventry City exist as a football club in Coventry? And under those circumstances, some of us would like a Coventry based football club to support. If you had been a Wimbledon supporter, would you now be a Milton Keynes fan, or would you be supporting the real Wimbledon which is AFC?
So please allow me, in terms as politely as I can, and paraphrasing your kind thoughts, that if things go badly, the very thing we do need is a breakaway club. Coventry City/United/rovers/Whatever will be my club not these clowns called SISU

hitmanhearns

OMFG the name!!! who are the rocket scientists that came up with "united".
Sounds like a bunch of armchair supporters that secretly craves anything red and white.

Not knocking the effort, just need a new name like Coventry Phoenix as suggested, great name that stands out!!

Paxman II

So when SISU get us promoted this season and they announce the stadium build is on budget, a new tier is being added already to raise the capacity to 20k due to unexpected promotion already, building is ahead of time, meaning we will be in our new ground after one more season and so the 2nd year will be spent playing at the Ricoh (now named City of Coventry stadium) on a temporary deal you all don't care because you want Coventry United?

I know sounds like fantasy right? But that's the point isn't your plans for a Coventry Utd just fantasy?

mattylad

So when SISU get us promoted this season and they announce the stadium build is on budget, a new tier is being added already to raise the capacity to 20k due to unexpected promotion already, building is ahead of time, meaning we will be in our new ground after one more season and so the 2nd year will be spent playing at the Ricoh (now named City of Coventry stadium) on a temporary deal you all don't care because you want Coventry United?

I know sounds like fantasy right? But that's the point isn't your plans for a Coventry Utd just fantasy?
Four business people have chosen to start a side with Coventry in the name, brought a website and had a banner done. They have decided to play in the cities civic colours of red and green, secured a pitch and a league status. I dont see where the fantasy is? You could say as they have kit and a sponsor they are better prepared for the season than CCFC!

Last edited:

Delboycov

And you accuse others on here of talking drivel! ;-)

Otis

OMFG the name!!! who are the rocket scientists that came up with "united".
Sounds like a bunch of armchair supporters that secretly craves anything red and white.

Not knocking the effort, just need a new name like Coventry Phoenix as suggested, great name that stands out!!

I think they know the name is crap, but they'd already done the letterheads.

:whistle:

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Crap name.

Needs to be Coventry Phoenix or something entirely new. Maybe even go back to Singers.

I'm only nitpicking here of course, but it has to be something other than Coventry United. Can't see City fans chanting 'United, United.'

Come up with a new name. New identity. Then they might be on to something.

I would urge them to seriously change the name.

I totally agreee that United is NOT a good name. Phoenix would be much better, starting again and ties in with the emblem and ethos of city of Coventry.
We are a "City" and United does NOT sound right.
Pretty sure Lord Sugar, Karren and Nick would agree that brand name was flawed.

Otis

If names aren't important, as some have said on here, then why don't Poundland just call themselves 'Cheap.'

If they had have done they wouldn't be the ever expanding entity they are today.

Names do matter. They conjure up a perception of what the brand is all about and create an identity and a link to the fans they wish to welcome aboard.

mark82

If names aren't important, as some have said on here, then why don't Poundland just call themselves 'Cheap.'

If they had have done they wouldn't be the ever expanding entity they are today.

Names do matter. They conjure up a perception of what the brand is all about and create an identity and a link to the fans they wish to welcome aboard.

If a breakaway club is started they should play in sky blue and be called something like:

City of Coventry FC
Coventry Singers FC
Coventry 1883 FC

Something that relates to CCFC and of course it should be fan owned, not controlled by 4 businessmen.

@richh87

I would simply call the Pheonix club 'Coventry FC'.

No dicking about with what to tag on the end.

magic82ball

Spot on!

When I used to play fantasy football through the post when I was a kid I always wanted to be Red Star, Burrisia Munchungladbach, Dinamo Kiev or some other exotic sounding name, the fact they were all shit didn't matter when I was 10!

magic82ball

Exactly, the club still exists.

To you maybe but to a lot of people the club died the minute SISU got the nod from Appleton. I would go as far to say that some people would prefer a new club formed and for City to die, jus to spite SISU.

Users who are viewing this thread