Match Thread Coventry v Oldham Match Thread - Saturday 17th Sep (1 Viewer)

KG7

again, agree.

In the same way those protesting by not coming in until 10 mins, those in the stands not singing at all, and all of those thousands we have lost are not helping the team

Yep you're right - there are very few things we can control at this football club - creating a positive atmosphere at games is about the extent of it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

people moan if they want to, customer knows best and all that but if you sit there and say nothing the powers that be think everyone is quite happy with what's going on on the pitch clearly it is not. The alterative is for people to stay away if the product is not right you complain .Season ticket holders in particular if players don't like the moaners they should do their level best to put it right. Some of the passing today would not be out of place on park pitches we play light blue not dark blue.

fernandopartridge

people moan if they want to, customer knows best and all that but if you sit there and say nothing the powers that be think everyone is quite happy with what's going on on the pitch clearly it is not. The alterative is for people to stay away if the product is not right you complain .Season ticket holders in particular if players don't like the moaners they should do their level best to put it right. Some of the passing today would not be out of place on park pitches we play light blue not dark blue.
I thought the fans were the club not just customers? This is where the protesters contradict themselves.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Some fans protest because in their opinion things are not going right the fans not attending have shone their disapproval by staying away if you want to think things are going right there are many more who don't gates are going the wrong way at the moment and what other way have fans got to get their thoughts over if not by protesting or walking.

KG7

Some fans protest because in their opinion things are not going right the fans not attending have shone their disapproval by staying away if you want to think things are going right there are many more who don't gates are going the wrong way at the moment and what other way have fans got to get their thoughts over if not by protesting or walking.

I'm not talking about a protest - that's a different thing. I'm talking about fans turning up teeth bared, blood boiling, ready and waiting for ninety minutes of hurling abuse at our players.

KG7

But this is exactly what I'm saying is a problem. It's easy to say 'if players don't like the moaners then they should do their level best to put it right' but clearly this approach from the fans over the last twenty years isn't working.

Let's pick this apart, when one person criticises me I would have one of the below responses:

1. Fuck you, I know better.

I would then continue to do the same thing (But I'm then distracted thinking about whether they're actually right)

2. Oh shit they're right. (I would then start to self analyse myself to make sure I'm doing the same thing correctly)

3. Oh fuck, I'm inadequate. I would then lose confidence in myself and my decision making.

4. Fair point. I would then probably start doing as they say for a bit to see if they were right.

None of these are the type of responses you want from a footballer - they are distracting and unhelpful.

Factor into this that I'm 33 years old with ten years of experience in my current career and weigh that up against the fact that the young boys in our team are taking their first steps and are also at an age where insecurities about your abilities are huge.

Also think about what it's like having someone at work breathing down your neck when you've done something wrong, scrutinising you to make sure you do it right next time...it's off putting and irritating and usually means you fuck it up again.

Incidentally, we have had two sustained periods of success in the past two decades (I say sustained in terms relative CCFC!!) -

1) Sixfields season under Pressley when there was basically no noise apart from when we scored (but perhaps crucially, no negative noise)

2) the start of last season when our quick start to the season and consolidation of our supporters into one stand meant that was a huge generation of positive atmosphere.

There are clearly other factors (like quick strikers who know how to put the ball in the back of the net). I'm just saying we need to get out of the mindset of thinking it's 'our right' to lambast these players and start taking some responsibility for how we support this team and help to turn the situation around.

After all...what good has lambasting a player EVER done?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I'm no footballing genius, but whenever I hear somebody going mad they rarely make much sense in what they are saying.

I wouldn't mind if they got up and shouted constructive, tactical advice

Reactions: KG7

peeler

But this is exactly what I'm saying is a problem. It's easy to say 'if players don't like the moaners then they should do their level best to put it right' but clearly this approach from the fans over the last twenty years isn't working.

Let's pick this apart, when one person criticises me I would have one of the below responses:

1. Fuck you, I know better.

I would then continue to do the same thing (But I'm then distracted thinking about whether they're actually right)

2. Oh shit they're right. (I would then start to self analyse myself to make sure I'm doing the same thing correctly)

3. Oh fuck, I'm inadequate. I would then lose confidence in myself and my decision making.

4. Fair point. I would then probably start doing as they say for a bit to see if they were right.

None of these are the type of responses you want from a footballer - they are distracting and unhelpful.

Factor into this that I'm 33 years old with ten years of experience in my current career and weigh that up against the fact that the young boys in our team are taking their first steps and are also at an age where insecurities about your abilities are huge.

Also think about what it's like having someone at work breathing down your neck when you've done something wrong, scrutinising you to make sure you do it right next time...it's off putting and irritating and usually means you fuck it up again.

Incidentally, we have had two sustained periods of success in the past two decades (I say sustained in terms relative CCFC!!) -

1) Sixfields season under Pressley when there was basically no noise apart from when we scored (but perhaps crucially, no negative noise)

2) the start of last season when our quick start to the season and consolidation of our supporters into one stand meant that was a huge generation of positive atmosphere.

There are clearly other factors (like quick strikers who know how to put the ball in the back of the net). I'm just saying we need to get out of the mindset of thinking it's 'our right' to lambast these players and start taking some responsibility for how we support this team and help to turn the situation around.

After all...what good has lambasting a player EVER done?

Kudos for writing this on a iPhone, apart from that I can't be bothered to read it.

Nick

Administrator
Nick, we aren't going to win anytime soon.
We will get a win way before you post anything constructive, that's a guarantee. Then you will be off again.

Who knows, if we get a few wins you will forget about nopm again like last year.

KG7

Kudos for writing this on a iPhone, apart from that I can't be bothered to read it.

It's an iPhone 6 Plus though so not that troublesome.

I'll take the compliment and positivity though - good start.

Grendel

peeler

Really? Why is that? I thought your wasps lot have made a good start.

I'm fist and foremost a fan of CCFC albeit lapsed.

I don't like Wasps one little bit, in fact me and the Wife have an arrangement, I rid the house of Spiders and Daddylonglegs, she has to deal with Wasps and Bluebottles.

letsallsingtogether

I thought the fans were the club not just customers? This is where the protesters contradict themselves.
That in its self is a contradiction if we are the club why are we kept in the dark.
Why are we treated like shit.
Some people are happy to blindly go around saying they won't be here forever and wait until this club is completely fucked.
Others no matter how futile you like to think they are fell better trying to get a change.

trevelfarandwide

As a generally guarded optimist (if such a thing exists), I can only see this latest performance having a direct hit on the team's already frail confidence. I wasn't at the game, I live too far away to even contemplate attending, but by all accounts it was a new low point in our recent history.

Where do we go from here? TM clearly cannot work any kind of 'magic' on this club; he either has little hands-on training with his players, isn't cut out for L1 or the climate at the club is just utterly detrimental to any kind of progress. Or a combo of all 3.

Again, where do we go from here? Hope and pray for the best? Sadly, I believe that's all we can do.

fernandopartridge

As a generally guarded optimist (if such a thing exists), I can only see this latest performance having a direct hit on the team's already frail confidence. I wasn't at the game, I live too far away to even contemplate attending, but by all accounts it was a new low point in our recent history.

Where do we go from here? TM clearly cannot work any kind of 'magic' on this club; he either has little hands-on training with his players, isn't cut out for L1 or the climate at the club is just utterly detrimental to any kind of progress. Or a combo of all 3.

Again, where do we go from here? Hope and pray for the best? Sadly, I believe that's all we can do.
It was a 0-0 draw. Hardly a new low just another disappointing result.

trevelfarandwide

It was a 0-0 draw. Hardly a new low just another disappointing result.

Ok, that's your opinion, and perhaps a 'new low' comment was hasty. Generally, across the board, I just find very little to be positive about - given the TM Decline since December, the loss of key players (inevitable btw, but still damaging) and the general atmosphere of misery around the club.

Sorry, I just really can't see anything to be positive about, taking the grander scheme into consideration.

idm1975

Is it blinkered to see issue with Mowbray now then? I'd say it is very blinkered if you didn't see the glaring issues today.
Grendel is totally blinkered, his opinions on the football side of things are based on hatred rather than knowing what he is talking about. Completely unable to give anyone a chance who he hates, as a moderator on here are you the same or is it just through your love of him that you pipe up in his complete defense, of his nonsense, everytime someone challenges him?

Nick

Administrator
Grendel is totally blinkered, his opinions on the football side of things are based on hatred rather than knowing what he is talking about. Completely unable to give anyone a chance who he hates, as a moderator on here are you the same or is it just through your love of him that you pipe up in his complete defense, of his nonsense, everytime someone challenges him?

Have a read through, I would say most agreed with my summary of the posts through the game don't they? What have I said that's blinkered?

I've also disagreed about bigi in the last couple of games.

What's your point?

Grendel

Hatred of who and what. I seemed to get a fair acknowledgement most of what I said was accurate during the game.

JeffB

Why don't we look at the Barrow AFC manager? This guy knows what he is doing in the lower leagues. He is incisive, totally focused and he has transformed the South Cumbrian side into genuine league 2 candidates. He is hungry for success. He demands performance and can't be arsed with innocuous, crab like prettiness which is never going to get us out of this league........well it might but I am talking about in the right direction.

Be perfectly honest....if Coventry ladies had home advantage against Bury, Shrewsbury and Oldham for 270 minutes, I am sure they would score. I am well aware they would concede loads and have no points instead of 3 but I am trying to make a basic point here. The objective of football is to score goals. That is what people pay money to see.

trevelfarandwide

Why don't we look at the Barrow AFC manager? This guy knows what he is doing in the lower leagues. He is incisive, totally focused and he has transformed the South Cumbrian side into genuine league 2 candidates. He is hungry for success. He demands performance and can't be arsed with innocuous, crab like prettiness which is never going to get us out of this league........well it might but I am talking about in the right direction.

Be perfectly honest....if Coventry ladies had home advantage against Bury, Shrewsbury and Oldham for 270 minutes, I am sure they would score. I am well aware they would concede loads and have no points instead of 3 but I am trying to make a basic point here. The objective of football is to score goals. That is what people pay money to see.

Can't say I'm familiar with Paul Cox as such, but we definitely need a motivator and a manager with more variety/adaptability tactic-wise. Even so, as I've stated ad nauseum, the club's climate is not conducive to progress.

I'd rather take a gamble on a proven lower leagues manager this time, to be honest, not a stubborn, tactically one-track manager like TM. If the team has fight and spirit, well, who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread