Do we even miss Hamer? (1 Viewer)

gruffskyblue

Massively. His energy and drive to take us quickly from front to back first and foremost but even more so his ability to swazz and ping cross field passes. A dream for the likes of Sakamoto and Milan. Too many times this season they have been open and it’s taken 4 passes to get the ball to them.

Oh, and his first touch is phenomenal. Which is vital for Robins (bullet-pass) style of play

Oh, and his set-piece delivery!

And his goals

And his assists

And his bullishness

Apart from that…

EalingSB

Massively. His energy and drive to take us quickly from front to back first and foremost but even more so his ability to swazz and ping cross field passes. A dream for the likes of Sakamoto and Milan. Too many times this season they have been open and it’s taken 4 passes to get the ball to them.

Oh, and his first touch is phenomenal. Which is vital for Robins (bullet-pass) style of play

Oh, and his set-piece delivery!

And his goals

And his assists

And his bullishness

Apart from that…
His song?

Mucca Mad Boys

Tbf they have also played more minutes combined than Gyokeres did last season.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

That doesn’t matter because as a team we had a need to replace his goal involvements. Gyokeres has proven this season that he belongs at the very top.

I made a ‘Moneyball’ reference in this thread or another and we were never going to replace Vik like-for-like. The point was that for all the stick Wright and Simms have got this year, they have went and surpassed Vik’s tally from last year.

shmmeee

If you could sign Hamer back for £9m would you ?

I wouldn’t…..

Not making an impact in Premier league and may have already achieved his maximum transfer value.

I would yeah. We still miss him massively.

fatso

That doesn’t matter because as a team we had a need to replace his goal involvements. Gyokeres has proven this season that he belongs at the very top.

I made a ‘Moneyball’ reference in this thread or another and we were never going to replace Vik like-for-like. The point was that for all the stick Wright and Simms have got this year, they have went and surpassed Vik’s tally from last year.
Would you rather have Gyok or Wright and Simms?

One is a top.quality striker, the other 2 couldn't trap a bag of cement between them.

fatso

Can't trap a bag of cement but have 24 goals between them
Yes, I hope the coaches can work on them during the summer, if they can, we may have a couple of very decent players on our hands.

As it stands they are miles away from their true potential.

Next season, EMC will come in and compete for the left side of midfield spot, so Wright will be under pressure, and I'd expect Godden and Tavares to move on and at least 1 new striker to come in, and that will mean Simms is under real pressure.
So both Simms and Wright will need to improve to keep the shirts.

Ccfcisparks

Yes, I hope the coaches can work on them during the summer, if they can, we may have a couple of very decent players on our hands.

As it stands they are miles away from their true potential.

Next season, EMC will come in and compete for the left side of midfield spot, so Wright will be under pressure, and I'd expect Godden and Tavares to move on and at least 1 new striker to come in, and that will mean Simms is under real pressure.
So both Simms and Wright will need to improve to keep the shirts.
Theres a very good chance they both finish on 15+ goals this season. That would suggest they are very decent championship players. What would you consider them at the moment? Average?

Mucca Mad Boys

Would you rather have Gyok or Wright and Simms?

One is a top.quality striker, the other 2 couldn't trap a bag of cement between them.

What a stupid question. Gyokeres will be signed for €100m in the summer and you’re asking who I’d rather have? 😂

For all of your vocal slating of these players, they have scored more goals than Gyokeres did last year. From MR’s recruitment perspective, they’ve successfully replaced Vik.

Grendel

What a stupid question. Gyokeres will be signed for €100m in the summer and you’re asking who I’d rather have? 😂

For all of your vocal slating of these players, they have scored more goals than Gyokeres did last year. From MR’s recruitment perspective, they’ve successfully replaced Vik.

Not really as if Gyokeres was still here with one of them we’d be in a far better position than we are.

Ccfcisparks

Not really as if Gyokeres was still here with one of them we’d be in a far better position than we are.
Well there was no alternative was there really as Vik had no desire to stay. In Robins position he has successfully replaced him, as the keeping him wasn't an alternative.

Mucca Mad Boys

We didn’t have a choice in keeping Gyokeres.

For the money we got for Gyokeres, we signed more or less half our starting team. Kitching, Thomas, Sakamoto, Wright, Simms and Torp in exchange for 1 player.

So the question should be: would you rather us spend the money we did on our whole team or keep Gyokeres? Not a straight ‘would you rather Simms and Wright or Gyokeres?’

Gyokeres is the best striker, probably the best player, I’ve seen play for us. Which is why he’s linked with top Premiership and European teams at 4x the value we sold him for.

Last edited:

fatso

Theres a very good chance they both finish on 15+ goals this season. That would suggest they are very decent championship players. What would you consider them at the moment? Average?
They are nothing more than average imo at the moment, let's be honest Simms has been dog shit for half a season, his work rate has improved recently, and he's scored 2 hat tricks against the likes of Maidstone and Rotherham, and it would appear that's enough to give half the members on here a permanent hard on.
But as has been pointed out before, since arriving here, he's yet to score against any top half team, which suggests there's still some improvement to do.

Wright looked woeful as a centre forward, but is impacting games as a left sided midfielder, but next season he will struggle for games once EMC arrives.
And again if we are being honest, he never seems to have the ball under control. And is more likely to tackle himself than get stopped by a defender.

Tbf to both, they are improving and with a full pre season under their belt will hopefully kick on big style next season.

(We won't win the playoffs this season with those two, and no Premier league team is coming with a big cheque book in the summer)

As it stands, there are approximately 15 other championship strikers with better goals per minutes stats than Wright and Simms, which would indicate they need to step up if we are serious about promotion.

Let's see how the pair of them get on against Wolves, that will be a real test for them, and will give everyone on here the chance to judge them in a real pressure environment.

Last edited:

fatso

What complete and utter bollocks.

Where did we finish with Vik?
Where do you think we'll finish with the chuckle brothers?

Is that progress? is it like for like?
Have we replaced? Have we improved?

Have we fuck.

Mucca Mad Boys

What complete and utter bollocks.

Where did we finish with Vik?
Where do you think we'll finish with the chuckle brothers?

Is that progress? is it like for like?
Have we replaced? Have we improved?

Have we fuck.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t we have more points and in a higher league position this season than at this stage last season?

Overall, we have a better team than last season.

Offhegoes

I prefer the way we play now, compared to the end of of last season. Once we had lost O'Hare, Palmer & Allen we had no choice to go more direct to Vik, with Hamer bombing on, and the sold disciplined defensive system. It wasn't pretty, and when it didn't work (Stoke at home, and Luton Play Off final) it was a hard watch.

fatso

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t we have more points and in a higher league position this season than at this stage last season?

Last year we finished 5th, we wont finish that high this year.

It's the final third where we are lacking imo.

the defence is better, the keeper a major improvement, and Sakamoto gave us a great outlet prior to injury.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sheaf and Torp play together, if those two gell we are in for a treat.

Imagine us now but with Gyokeres still here!

Ccfcisparks

the defence is better, the keeper a major improvement, and Sakamoto gave us a great outlet prior to injury.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sheaf and Torp play together, if those two gell we are in for a treat.

At this point last season we had conceded 35 goals. THis season we have conceded 42. We've just gone 13 games without a clean sheet in the league. So no, the defence is not better.

We've also scored 15 more goals.

You are talking utter pish and making up facts to try and drill your point home.

Mucca Mad Boys

We concede a lot more goals this season. The weak point is midfield.

We finished 5th on 70 points which is low. This season, it’s probable that Hull, Norwich and ourselves break that 70 point barrier.

In my view, we miss Hamer more than we miss Gyokeres. Not because he’s better, Hamer was in a more influential position and we miss his passing and the way he drove us up the pitch.

I am looking forward to Torp and Sheaf in midfield but we need an extra body or two there for next season.

napolimp

Why do people keep saying Mason-Clark is going to walk into the side next season? He's a league 1 footballer who has never played in the Championship. This is also his first full season in League 1, previously he was playing in the national league. How can anyone possibly know he's going to be good enough to make the step up?

Ccfcisparks

Why do people keep saying Mason-Clark is going to walk into the side next season? He's a league 1 footballer who has never played in the Championship. This is also his first full season in League 1, previously he was playing in the national league. How can anyone possibly know he's going to be good enough to make the step up?
19 Goal Contributions in 33 games. Often touted by watches of League 1 as one of the best players in the league. Peterborough fans saying he is better for them than Toney was at his age.

I'd say theres a good chance he will make the step up.

napolimp

19 Goal Contributions in 33 games. Often touted by watches of League 1 as one of the best players in the league. Peterborough fans saying he is better for them than Toney was at his age.

I'd say theres a good chance he will make the step up.

Wright has 17 goal contributions in 34 games - in the Championship. Why would Mason-Clark walk into the side?

Hertsccfc

We concede a lot more goals this season. The weak point is midfield.

We finished 5th on 70 points which is low. This season, it’s probable that Hull, Norwich and ourselves break that 70 point barrier.

In my view, we miss Hamer more than we miss Gyokeres. Not because he’s better, Hamer was in a more influential position and we miss his passing and the way he drove us up the pitch.

I am looking forward to Torp and Sheaf in midfield but we need an extra body or two there for next season.
You never stop slating the midfield. According to you they were the reason Simms wasn't scoring but now that he is scoring it's nothing to do with the midfield.

I think we have missed Gyokeres more than Hamer, as he was capable of holding onto the ball and could even make something out of the long fairly aimless balls we used to throw at him. I say that despite believing that Hamer was the better player.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

If he's not brilliant in his first two games this will change very quickly.

There have been plenty of examples of players who seem unable to make the step up despite appearing great in League 1.

SkyBlueMatt

They are nothing more than average imo at the moment, let's be honest Simms has been dog shit for half a season, his work rate has improved recently, and he's scored 2 hat tricks against the likes of Maidstone and Rotherham, and it would appear that's enough to give half the members on here a permanent hard on.
But as has been pointed out before, since arriving here, he's yet to score against any top half team, which suggests there's still some improvement to do.

Wright looked woeful as a centre forward, but is impacting games as a left sided midfielder, but next season he will struggle for games once EMC arrives.
And again if we are being honest, he never seems to have the ball under control. And is more likely to tackle himself than get stopped by a defender.

Tbf to both, they are improving and with a full pre season under their belt will hopefully kick on big style next season.

(We won't win the playoffs this season with those two, and no Premier league team is coming with a big cheque book in the summer)

As it stands, there are approximately 15 other championship strikers with better goals per minutes stats than Wright and Simms, which would indicate they need to step up if we are serious about promotion.

Let's see how the pair of them get on against Wolves, that will be a real test for them, and will give everyone on here the chance to judge them in a real pressure environment.

You must be a regular on the CWR moan in.

Who do you think we should sign in the summer, should we try and get Gyokeres back or would Mbappe work better in our system? His contract is up at the end of the season, I think that would show we are serious about promotion.

Ccfcisparks

Wright has 17 goal contributions in 34 games - in the Championship. Why would Mason-Clark walk into the side?
Who says he is directly going to replace Wright?

If we play two upfront he isn't going to play there is he.

We already have acknowledged he can play Number 10. He's more likely to start the season there replacing COH.

Mucca Mad Boys

You never stop slating the midfield. According to you they were the reason Simms wasn't scoring but now that he is scoring it's nothing to do with the midfield.

I think we have missed Gyokeres more than Hamer, as he was capable of holding onto the ball and could even make something out of the long fairly aimless balls we used to throw at him. I say that despite believing that Hamer was the better player.

Not Simms specifically, the team and I still stand by those comments. Who assisted the goals on Tuesday? Bidwell, Wright and, iirc, MVE assisted Tavares.

Against WBA and PNE, two playoff rivals we really struggled to play through midfield in particular against those teams. PNE, it’s fair to say that the whole team got bullied.

I talk about the midfield a lot because it is the most important area on the pitch. It will be our biggest focus in the summer for the following reasons:

1) Wingers - we only have 2 recognised in the squad going into 24/25 season. We probably need 1-2 more.

2) COH is unlikely to extend his contract so his replacement will be the top target for the summer.

3) CM - with Kelly going, you have 4 CMs in Torp, Eccles, Sheaf and Allen. Assuming we keep Sheaf (not a certainty), is that enough? IMO, it isn’t and Sheaf’s absence has proven that. In a 50+ game season we need more depth.

At CM, the only changes to that position is Hamer out and Torp in. Unless you genuinely believe Torp to be a better than Hamer, no one can argue our CM department is better than last season.

To hammer home the point: Hamer had 19 goal involvements last season, compare that to 12 this season from Allen, Sheaf, Eccles, Torp and Kelly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread