Do we even miss Hamer? (4 Viewers)

Hertsccfc

Not Simms specifically, the team and I still stand by those comments. Who assisted the goals on Tuesday? Bidwell, Wright and, iirc, MVE assisted Tavares.

Against WBA and PNE, two playoff rivals we really struggled to play through midfield in particular against those teams. PNE, it’s fair to say that the whole team got bullied.

I talk about the midfield a lot because it is the most important area on the pitch. It will be our biggest focus in the summer for the following reasons:

1) Wingers - we only have 2 recognised in the squad going into 24/25 season. We probably need 1-2 more.

2) COH is unlikely to extend his contract so his replacement will be the top target for the summer.

3) CM - with Kelly going, you have 4 CMs in Torp, Eccles, Sheaf and Allen. Assuming we keep Sheaf (not a certainty), is that enough? IMO, it isn’t and Sheaf’s absence has proven that. In a 50+ game season we need more depth.

At CM, the only changes to that position is Hamer out and Torp in. Unless you genuinely believe Torp to be a better than Hamer, no one can argue our CM department is better than last season.

To hammer home the point: Hamer had 19 goal involvements last season, compare that to 12 this season from Allen, Sheaf, Eccles, Torp and Kelly.
The only positions we improved as such on were goalkeeper and right back/wing back. However the fall in quality is far greater from Gyokeres to Simms than Hamer to Torp. How was the midfield responsible for all Simms glaring misses and his tame early performances? He's improved in the last half dozen matches but his poor performances earlier were not due to the midfield.

Sheaf, Eccles, Torp and Allen is stronger as a midfield than Simms and Wright as forwards.

Mucca Mad Boys

The only positions we improved as such on were goalkeeper and right back/wing back. However the fall in quality is far greater from Gyokeres to Simms than Hamer to Torp. How was the midfield responsible for all Simms glaring misses and his tame early performances? He's improved in the last half dozen matches but his poor performances earlier were not due to the midfield.

Sheaf, Eccles, Torp and Allen is stronger as a midfield than Simms and Wright as forwards.

I disagree and their 33 goal involvements would too and that’s with them both underperforming their xG ratings. Gyokeres had 44 goal involvements last season, how many do you think is an acceptable return from Wright and Simms?

When Gyokeres first season joined he was 3rd or 4th choice with Biamou making more starts. Players improve and lot of people will feel silly when they look back at their comments about these 2 players.

Ccfcisparks

Hope he does. He deserves it, and I want to start the season with a settled team that's used to playing with each other. Will make a change from previous 2 seasons.
What has he done to deserve it?

he would be a massive downgrade from COH.

he has 1 championship goal this year.

skyblue_55

Poor Gus , a quality player & he was such class , even his very short stay this season , had the Leicester boss confirming, he was the best in this league !
He’s moved on to a team that we might yet leap frog , but otherwise, we will see him next season.
After all …… he only cost a million !

duffer

I got to the point where I actually preferred Gus to Viktor, just because when he was on it, he was everywhere on the pitch and brilliant to watch.

I don't think coming back would necessarily be a good thing for anyone though, even if it was possible. I'd be happy to give it a try though!

Users who are viewing this thread