European championships 2020 thread (10 Viewers)

David O'Day

It was an error. Was Mancini’s decision to bring on Belotti equally as bad? For what it’s worth we did well to even get to that point. They should’ve beaten us in 90 minutes.

Belotti came on a the start of extra time? Hardly the same is it?

cc84cov

I think he has to play him in central midfield, we have to get out the mentality of pushing our talented players higher up the pitch.

We need players who can handle the ball with skill and composure in our own half, instead of going with two work horses who do the 'dirty work' and end up chasing Italian shadows for 120 minutes

I think Bellingham and Mount could potentially make a good midfield two and both have the work rate and intelligence to do the defensive work, and then it frees another attacking position for a grealish or sancho who probably offer a bit more than Mount in those positions.
Mount 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

skybluetony176

I see people have gone out there way to make taking the knee relevant. Boris also put himself in the position where having supported racism now having to condemn it.

SBAndy

Just woken up. Gutted (and sleep deprived). We sat back a bit too much and didn’t have the pace on the counter that would have forced them back. But hey, it’s a system that worked against Germany and others, and I think Southgate had bought the trust to do what he saw fit last night. It didn’t work, massive shame, but huge positives to look to for Qatar.

Sick Boy

There are a lot of things for England to be proud of on the pitch and that will be built upon over the coming years. Mancini’s subs changed the game and Southgate didn’t react to them.
Penalties was still a cruel way to decide it, golden goal is a much better format.

Last edited:

cc84cov

There are a lot of things for England to be proud of on the pitch and that will be built up over the coming years. Mancini’s subs changed the game and Southgate didn’t react to them.
Penalties was still a cruel way to decide it, golden goal is a much better format.
Agree with this we could all the pattern he left it far too long

NorthernWisdom

Southgate is a fine man but I think he would suit getting the best out of a limited team
He didn't at Middlesbrough tbf...

I mean, I know we all want to have won the World Cup and European Championships, but he's come closer than most. Going for Eriksson and Capello didn't end up with us winning tournaments after all. Of course there are flawed decisions, but the likes of Guardiola have made them in major finals too, he's not alone in that.

(Oh, and he also got it bang on playing Trippier from the start - his decision making has been, generally, pretty good for England)

Covstu

Yep still gutted this morning. It’s a time where your experienced players need to step up not let the kids who didn’t kick a ball take the most important pens of their careers. Absolute shades of Croatia, bossed the 1st half and didn’t read the signs early enough when the opposition adapted. Saka looked like a rabbit in the headlights last night, Sterling was average. Back 3 were solid all night but only can take so much pressure. Fair play Italy beat us on the pitch and mentally outthought us.

jordan210

Anyone else feel deflated today.

1st half we looked like a team who would beat anyone. Getting runs down the side and creating all sorts of issues. 2nd half we sat in hoping to try and defend the win. against a team who havent lot in 30 odd matches.

questionable subs and tactical decision making has cost us.

Tournament wise Shaw has been out standing.

Evo1883

Graham Potter

Brighton manager , attack minded , plays good stuff , English.

Whenever it happens he should be in the running .

Probably after QATAR

Evo1883

Southgate has taken England to a semi-final and then a final of a major tournament. He deserves to be in charge in Qatar and expect he will be from the next Euros too.

I think we should look after QATAR see what happens there before giving another euros

CJ_covblaze

Wouldn't Luke Shaw be a decent taker and like I said earlier , Henderson?
I’d have Shaw or Walker taking a pen before Saka if they’re on the pitch still. No issue with Rashford taking one. An inch further over and that’s in. As a last resort, Henderson. He’s got one England goal and missed 2/2 pens for us.

Users who are viewing this thread