Favourite Ever Pub And Club ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

With so many pubs closing down these days we got talking in the boozer recently what was our favourite pub that is no longer around ? Many were mentioned but we could only choose one and a club.I chose the Acorn in Ringwood Highway and The General Wolfe as I miss the bands. Any others missed ?

lifeskyblue

The rocket back in the 70s...seemed like heaven...well for a few years at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joy Division

*Subthread

What are your favorite pubs now? I left Cov a long time ago and I'm so out of touch these days.

eastwoodsdustman

The Bug and Times Square were favourites of mine in the day. Used to frequent the Alhambra a fair bit as a 16 year old kid too.

lifeskyblue

*Subthread

What are your favorite pubs now? I left Cov a long time ago and I'm so out of touch these days.

Like you I left cov a long while ago. Return to see mum and ccfc...not to drink. Any good real ale pubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

With so many pubs closing down these days we got talking in the boozer recently what was our favourite pub that is no longer around ? Many were mentioned but we could only choose one and a club.I chose the Acorn in Ringwood Highway and The General Wolfe as I miss the bands. Any others missed ?

Campbell was my weekend haunt in my youth. Upstairs on a Saturday for a few ciders and some tunes.

Quite often used to start at the Cross, then the one next to the building society (The Courtyard?) and last stop on the way to the Campbell would be the one on the corner of Much Park St and Gosford St, no idea what that was called.

Covstu

Campbell was my weekend haunt in my youth. Upstairs on a Saturday for a few ciders and some tunes.

Quite often used to start at the Cross, then the one next to the building society (The Courtyard?) and last stop on the way to the Campbell would be the one on the corner of Much Park St and Gosford St, no idea what that was called.

Similar haunts as a youngun. Wednesday nights at the Campbell, £1 a drink, Thursday nights in the Golden Cross to see some bands, move onto the Collie. Saturday night back to the campbell and maybe a drink at gringos.

steveccfc

Loved the Dog & Trumpet in the 90's/very early naughties, friday and saturdays nights were great and £1 a diesel (cider & black) on a saturday!

bringbackrattles

I liked The Market Tavern on a Saturday night,then on to the Rock House. Not saying it was right but it could end up as a punch up,chips at the Parsons Nose,taxi home,back there again the next week !

Terry Gibson's perm

If a pub could get called a Legend The Rocket would be it !

One occasion we built a pyramid of empty beer cans (I would imagine 80+ cans but the mind plays tricks these days) between probably a dozen of us and then headed off to the rocket and arrived and before it had opened and was banging on the door drank in there until the last train was getting ready to go, then my friend had a long row with a police horse and then fell asleep in the ground.

Terry Gibson's perm

The Craftsman was my local but at weekends used to drink and stagger around The Silver Sword and on occasion the Pink Parrot.

robofcov

Saturday night crawl Late 70s early 80s, Started at the Albany pub in Earlsdon, then Hertford Tavern in Herford place, 3 Tuns, Market Tavern, Bear Inn then the Top Spot

blueflint

always was the bell tile hill village was drinking in there at 15yrs old that was 50 yrs ago tho

covbhoy

I think that was the Godiva pal

Terry Gibson's perm

I forgot my old pre match drinkies place The Binley Oak? Went in the Sky blue tavern was it called the Mercers before that

Not sure if the name above are correct

bringbackrattles

I forgot my old pre match drinkies place The Binley Oak? Went in the Sky blue tavern was it called the Mercers before that

Not sure if the name above are correct
The Mercers Arms opposite the ground was a proper old pub,so was the Binley Oak further down.The Binley Oak used to have a concert room if I recall for bands etc ?

cloughie

As an under age we used to go to the Bear as we could get served near the banks by Broadgate although it's no longer there and up to the Climax by the bird cage. Later as a young dude the 2 best pub for girls music etc The Tally Ho and the Smithfield. Then on to the City Centre club. AKA pink parrot later on

Steve.B50

Silver Sword on match days, walk out and meet the older lads walking up from the Zodiac for the walk up to Highfield Road.
On a Saturday night, Three Tuns then up to Park Lane.

cloughie

Silver Sword on match days, walk out and meet the older lads walking up from the Zodiac for the walk up to Highfield Road.
On a Saturday night, Three Tuns then up to Park Lane.

Ah yes the silver sword always our meeting place before a match and on a night out

chiefdave

As an under age we used to go to the Bear

I can remember us having the police come into school to give us the drugs and alcohol talk. They said so long as there wasn't trouble they weren't bothered about under age drinkers and wouldn't do anything about it. Can't imagine they give the same talk now!

Terry Gibson's perm

In my last year at school we had a teachers training day so as a 16 year old thought where better to spend the day than the pub, there was a bit of a shock when about 1pm a group of teachers walked in and had the cheek to ask us what we were doing there!

Terry Gibson's perm

The Mercers Arms opposite the ground was a proper old pub,so was the Binley Oak further down.The Binley Oak used to have a concert room if I recall for bands etc ?

It was a good atmosphere in the Mercers with the away fans in the other room.

Grendel

Ah yes the silver sword always our meeting place before a match and on a night out

I always had you down as a Coventry Cross sort of guy.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I liked The Market Tavern on a Saturday night,then on to the Rock House. Not saying it was right but it could end up as a punch up,chips at the Parsons Nose,taxi home,back there again the next week !

My kind of Friday and Saturday night BBR! (Apart from the Parsons Snot Box! Seen behind there one day and would never eat there again!)

Houchens Head

I've got nearly 300 pics of pubs past and present if anyone wants to see any posted as memories. Just as an example..............

The Mercers

Houchens Head

I ain't been down Swan Lane way since the old Highfield Road days. Can't bring myself to go around there and I doubt I ever will again. :(

wingy

Tally How,Smithfield, Georges,Park Lane Studio,Bug. Sunday morning /afternoon then drive round the cobbled bit doing Vandervalk song before knocking the Old Stag door at 6-55 to start again.
Ooh and the Jag.
jack Downplays Sunday night Disco.
A little older then It was the Holyhead Wednesday Friday Sunday and Bank holiday weekends over to Balsall Common to Squires/Stables, whatever It was called then.
As a real youngster a lot over at Balsall Common and around all the villages ovrr Honiley way finishing off with the Honiley. Boot,and the peeping Tom on Cromwell lane while I was seeing a Fine young Lady.

Users who are viewing this thread