Football Manager (4 Viewers)

RoboCCFC90

Apparently FM24 is going to be the ‘ultimate’ version of FM before they bring out a whole brand new look FM 25 - I’ve not bought the last few but I might buy FM 24 if that’s the case

In FM24 you will be able to transfer save data from FM23 save files.

FM25 will be a game changer for sure.

djr8369

Apparently FM24 is going to be the ‘ultimate’ version of FM before they bring out a whole brand new look FM 25 - I’ve not bought the last few but I might buy FM 24 if that’s the case
Interesting. I normally wait I until it’s reduced but maybe I’ll get that

Ian1779

Currently have a save ongoing in FM23, I'm now into season five, it's been a journey to get to where I am now.

I found choosing my club to be quite challenging this time around, there were a number of candidates that stood out which I eventually dwindled down to two. Wrexham and Deportivo La Coruna. Deportivo really appealed as a save candidate as they're a club that has been in freefall, but I remember growing up in the 90's and Deportivo always being a prominent La Liga team, they've got a big stadium, a big budget in Spain's 1A league, a lot of good young players, however I eventually picked Hollywood Wrexham, to keep myself in the English leagues.

I decided that being Wrexham I would restrict my transfer business, I would not sign more players then I had sold, I didn't buy players for a fee, I decided to focus on free transfers under the age of 25. Before the first ball was kicked in anger in the National League I had sold off eight players, in return I brought in seven players. The aim for the season was simple, get promoted as Champions. That was achieved with five games to go with a points total of 102 points, my nearest challengers were Notts County and Chesterfield. Paul Mullin ended the season with 54 goals in all competitions and I also brought home a second trophy in the FA Trophy.

Season two with Wrexham in League 2, I kept to the same rules again, bringing in free signings under the age of 25 and not signing more players than I had sold. Keeping Paul Mullin and Jamie Soule (the latter I had signed a year previously) was key through the summer as they had scored 75 goals between them the season prior, I was also determined to keep George McEachran, Andy Cannon and Max Haygarth (again, all players I had signed to Wrexham the previous season) as they were the core of my squad and had performed really well in the National League. I signed Randell Williams, Jack Burroughs (from City), Caleb Chukwuemka and Tariq Uwakwe, alongside younger players from Premier League academies to build the future around. The season started off brilliantly, never dropping out of the playoffs and from November - December being in the top three, pushing for a second promotion in two seasons. In the Papa Johns Trophy I had also knocked out Huddersfield (relegated to L1) and Grimsby who had been promoted to L1.

In December 2023 however things were about to change. Mark Robins was sacked by City, with City four points from safety in the Championship, Reading also sacked Paul Ince and Huddersfield sacked Scott Brown. My general rule of thumb in each addition of the FM games is to never apply for jobs, other than Cov, so I applied for the City role, but was overlooked in favor of Mick Beale. Shortly after this both Huddersfield and Reading approached Wrexham about me taking on their respective manager jobs. Reading still in the Championship, but 17th with an alleged £5m budget. Huddersfield in L1, but 19th with a £2.5m budget. I decided to take the small jump from L2 to L1 and join Huddersfield, leaving Wrexham 3rd.

The beauty of joining Huddersfield when I did was that the transfer window was just around the corner and I needed it, the squad was ageing badly, Danny Ward was still playing up front with Jordan Rhodes, Tom Lee's was playing at CB and Lee Nicholls was in goal. I decided that I would remove myself imposed restrictions on players that I could sign, but as I try to at every club I would not exceed the total spend, beyond what I receive into the Club. When the window opened I was resigned to losing Lee Nicholls and David Kasamu who had been promised by the previous manager that they could be sold in January, however I was able to recoup £4.5m, which gave me a comfy budget of £6m in the window.

I signed the following players in January; Louie Barry (loan), Marcus Forss (£350K), Niels Nkounkou (loan), Sam Surridge (£300K) Bendeguz Bolla (loan), Jamie Cumming (loan), Myles Peart-Harris (loan), Lewis Bate (loan). I was delighted to get both Surridge and Forss, in L1 I knew this would be prolific strike force. When the window closed I was 15th in the league, with five games to go I was 3rd, all my signings contributing nicely, the Forss and Surridge partnership had wielded 32 goals in four months, LETHAL. With three games to go in the league there was two points between 1st (P'boro) and 3rd (Plymouth), Huddersfield wedged in between (2nd). My final three games were Bolton (4th @ home), Plymouth (A) and Stockport (15th @ H). A win against Bolton and a loss against Plymouth left me needing two points to secure promotion, one point behind P'boro. The final game against Stockport ended with a straightforward 5-2 win, P'boro lost away at Charlton, meaning I secured a second title in two seasons!

Season three in the Championship with Huddersfield, I bought in nine players; Jamie Cumming (GK - £1m), Leighton Clarkson (CM - free), Nathan Ferguson (RB - free), Callum Slattery (CM - free) and an additional six loans (Shea Charles, Alberto Moleiro, Ben Doak, James McAtee, Zach Awe and Kaoru Mitoma). I was also forced to sell Sorba Thomas for £9m to Boro, as the player wanted £50K p/w in wages. The season started well again, first eight games I had only lost one game against Brentford and sat in the top three. November came around and Mick Beale was sacked by Cov with City sat rock bottom of the Championship, once again I applied for the job, but this time City believed I was ready and they offered me the job. I left Huddersfield in 4th..

Okay, so Cov.. There were two positives, firstly the club had been taken over not long before I took the job, the club had also managed to retain all its best players somehow, the likes of Gus, Vik, COH and Sheaf were all at the club, however Godden, Allen, Tavares and others had been sold. The squad was made up of youngsters, star players (the aforementioned) and players who needed moving on (Dabo, Moore, Bidwell, Bapaga). My task was to keep City in the Championship which I ultimately did, managing a solid 14th place.

The following season I was aiming a lot higher, with the core of players in the squad, I believed with a few solid loan signings and the high potential players coming through the academy there was a chance of play-offs. In the summer I was only able to sign seven players due to a lack of budget; Dylan Stephenson, (ST, loan) James Trafford (GK, loan), Shea Charles, (CB, loan), Josh Wilson-Esbrand (LB, loan), Jonathan Panzo (CB, £250K), Luke Plange (ST, free) and Charlie McCann (CM, £125K). I missed out on Joel Piroe, Cameron Archer and Miguel Azeez (all on frees) which was frustrating. Prior to the January window I was 10th, in the December I was able to pick up James Garner (CM) on a free after he left Everton.

January, the aim was to keep the squad together and add if possible, early in the window I managed to add Michael Obafemi (ST, £250K) from Swansea and a wonderkid from Hibernian, Reuben McAllister (son of Jamie McAllister, CM). Unfortunately, I lost Gus Hamer on deadline day, a condition of Gus signing a new deal was a £10m domestic release clause to a club in a higher division, which meant Crystal Palace were able to pick up Gus much cheaper than what I would've wanted. I also tried to re-negotiate with Gus who wasn't keen on signing a new deal. I reacted by signing Billy Gilmour (CM , £500K), Lewis Fiorini (CM , £500K), Lewis Bate (again, on loan!) and another wonderkid from Toronto FC, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty (LWB/RWB) on loan with an obligation to buy if promoted for £7m.

The second half of the season the team came alive, City played 21 games in the Championship and scored 49 points, 14 wins and 7 draws, no losses. With two games to go in the regular season I was sat second in the league behind Southampton (by a single point) and in front of Middlesbrough and Watford, by a point. My final two games were Southampton (A) and Boro (H), a draw with Southampton at St Mary's left me needing a win to secure promotion which I achieved by beating Boro 3-0. Promotion to the Premier League was ours. Southampton went us as Champions and Watford via the playoffs.

I am about to start my next season in the Premier League, I start at home to Wolves, followed by games against Newcastle, Man City and then away at Leicester.. My current XI is; James Trafford, Rico Lewis, Zach Awe, Jonathan Panzo, JMR, James Garner, Billy Gilmour, James McAtee, Andy Herd (regen from the academy, five star wonderkid worth £40m), COH and Viktor up top. Currently I am playing a 4-3-2-1 Custom Gegenpress, throughout the entire save I've played the same Custom Gegenpress, but mainly with two up front.

I am obsessed with Football Manager games and have been for years, I always buy the new year editions and can talk about the game for hours. I do get heavily engrossed in the games, which might come across in this reply 😂 Does anyone else get like this? Has anyone else got any rules that they set themselves or have had any great success with Cov?
Lucas Bergstrom - top tier GK you can pick up fairly cheaply from Chelsea. I had him on loan in my championship winning season - made Ben Wilson look like Rafael Nuzzo.

Alkhen

Just picked up FM23 today (£15 in Smyth's, code in a box) put it off for ages as they have been so same-y. Hopefully this one will get me hooked as there is nothing that hits quite like going all in on an FM save

Reactions: vow

baldy

What!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Miles Jacobson put out a statement during the week about the future plan for FM & said the next version’s gonna be the last of this ‘cycle’ before FM25 takes on a whole shiny new look with a completely different graphics engine & user interface etc
He said FM24 will be like a ‘love letter’ to FM & football in general & that it’ll be the ultimate one yet

RoboCCFC90

Lucas Bergstrom - top tier GK you can pick up fairly cheaply from Chelsea. I had him on loan in my championship winning season - made Ben Wilson look like Rafael Nuzzo.

I think there are some true gems in this version of the game. If you are starting out in the National League then the likes of Jamie Soule is worth it on free transfer, in my first season and a half at Wrexham he complimented Paul Mullin brilliantly and they scored a lot of goals between them. There have also been a couple of other non-league gems that I’ve had.

Chelsea and Man City are brilliant for picking up their youngsters fairly cheap, I’ve had a number of their players through the door and they’ve all performed relatively well.

vow

The Sopranos Quote GIF

FFS, "thanks" for bumping the thread, now I've fired up an old save! grrrr

Alkhen

I updated my game with the latest Sortitoutsi patch so starting in League 2. I recon Baka has a chance.

I have no budget and had to sell a couple of players so i had any wages. Bloody Baka is on 3.5 k pw

Brought in Dane Scarlett on a 6 month loan, only way I can get any loans without paying wages.

Sky Blue Pete

I updated my game with the latest Sortitoutsi patch so starting in League 2. I recon Baka has a chance.

I have no budget and had to sell a couple of players so i had any wages. Bloody Baka is on 3.5 k pw

Brought in Dane Scarlett on a 6 month loan, only way I can get any loans without paying wages.
Couldn’t even get him on loan for leamington in the championship

Alkhen

Couldn’t even get him on loan for leamington in the championship
Yeah I was surprised he was available, might have had his stats nerfed after being a bit of a letdown at Pompey last year IRL?

I bagged the shitter Sessegnon brother on a free. Trying to get Longstaff but board are being pricks about wages

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Dangerous game, my sleep patterns are fecked.

My weird quirk with FM is that I just can't enjoy being Cov. far to invested in reality to allow the fantasy world to take over.

Current Game save is my local club FGR.. determined to guide Bakayoko to his first 20 goal season.
I used to play it as escapism. Literally with the intention of making City all powerful and winning everything. Start half a dozen saves but not play them to see which players performed well, especially cheaper ones, so when I did start a game I had a load of targets I wanted. Get the databases to see which players had the highest ability and potential and slowly set about buying them when I could.

But the game can become consuming and haven't played for years because it just takes up so much time, and that was before you could fine tune all the training and set pieces etc. I would spend the first day of a save just setting up the tactics and training before I even started trying to sign players.

baldy

My weird quirk with FM is that I just can't enjoy being Cov. far to invested in reality to allow the fantasy world to take over.

Current Game save is my local club FGR.. determined to guide Bakayoko to his first 20 goal season.

She been sacked already to make way for you? Haha

Alkhen

Mission 20 goals Bakayoko update

Half way through the season and.... drumroll...............

hes on 10 goals :D go on Baka!
1688686432026.png

covcity4life

Started a cov save.

Got Borges and pellisitri in on loan from Manchester clubs. Rest of squad is what it was last summer.

Lots of injuries so far but 7th in November. 7 PTS off autos. Let's see what I can do

ajsccfc

Some good business in my game with Daniel Iversen. Rescued him from the pits of despair/Leicester City, sold him for 80 times the price after two seasons, nearly a decade later he comes back on a free to be a benchwarmer far too good for the bench to coast him into retirement

JvvU6qW.png

Alkhen

Some good business in my game with Daniel Iversen. Rescued him from the pits of despair/Leicester City, sold him for 80 times the price after two seasons, nearly a decade later he comes back on a free to be a benchwarmer far too good for the bench to coast him into retirement

JvvU6qW.png

Repping the Champ manager graphics pack?! That Cov badge is a decade+ old

ajsccfc

It may have even have been from somewhere else, I've basically just kept the same pack I would have initially downloaded on an older version as they seem to work with the newer ones so I imagine there's a fair few outdated badges and logos in there along the way

Sky Blue Pete

Really struggling in the championship with leamington wage budget £75k a week

Leicester
Brighton
Southampton
All in the league

hoping to nip into the play offs by the end of the season

Hate having to sell good prospects to get money to improve the overall team

Users who are viewing this thread