Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (12 Viewers)

skybluecam

I'm not saying he's been brilliant, but I can see why we signed him. I know it's getting to be a bit of a tired cliché around here but Gyokeres was utter shite for many more games than Haji has played for us. I couldn't see how he was a footballer, let alone someone we signed during his loan period with us. Simms is another, worse than Wright in all but the Huddersfield game, and all of a sudden, he has changed a lot of people's minds in 1 game.
Agreed! I don’t get the 180 on Simms. I'm baffled at how people say Wright’s touch is poor when it is noticeably better than Simms is.

Even without playing well he has created problems for defences with his pace and physicality, something that Godden can’t even offer on his best days.

My main worry with both is them getting written off before they find form.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We have the money to sign 2-3 more players anyway, with or without the money spent on Wright. We just fucked about too much.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Or we could do like with Wright and spend it all on one player who doesn't make the grade. I think we could've got a couple of players for £2-3m with a similar ability level and it gives us a bit of breathing space in case one doesn't work out then there's still the chance of the other. It remains to be seen if the same will be true of Kitching, but again I was a bit worried about the size of the fee.

Even if we do have money left for 2-3 more, it looks like we need more than that anyway. We're relying on players who've been here for years and really shouldn't be considered more than squad players at best. Plus the injuries show that we needed more bodies antyawy as we're now struggling to put out a team that should perform at the level we'd hope. We had Rus, Stretton and Obikwu on the bench last time.

When we sold Gyok I thought we might sign a couple of players for a couple of million each, or maybe even twice that for a player with a proven pedigree in the Championship.

So when we signed Simms I sort of understood it, as he kind of has that to a degree with Sunderland and if we pay the whole fee it'll have been worth it as we'd have got promoted.

But Wright for approaching £8m up front I just could not fathom. It was such a massive, massive gamble for that outlay.

My opinion is the same for Hamer's replacement - I'm fine with big money spending as long as the risk involved is reduced by the player having proven pedigree at this level. But I think DK may be a bit more reluctant to spend that sort of money now and will be wanting us to spend lower fees.

StrettoBoy

For someone who supposedly can't head a ball and doesn't know where the back of the net is, he gave a fucking brilliant impersonation of someone who does in these clips.
Get off his back and wait until he starts getting a decent supply rather than scraps before writing him off.

A lot of us - me included - think that HW is low on confidence.

If I was MR I would sit down with him, show him those video clips and remind him what a good player he is. Can't do any harm.

steve cooper

It's a real shame Haji's shot against Leicester didn't go in instead of rattling the crossbar, his goal against Middlesboro would have meant 2 goals in under an hour of championship football. It's fine margins, but what a start that would have been and would have probably enabled him to really kick on instead of the way things have gone downhill for him since.

ccfc1234

It's a real shame Haji's shot against Leicester didn't go in instead of rattling the crossbar, his goal against Middlesboro would have meant 2 goals in under an hour of championship football. It's fine margins, but what a start that would have been and would have probably enabled him to really kick on instead of the way things have gone downhill for him since.
Goals dont tell the whole story however. There are many forwards who aren't prolific but are vital to the team as they make up for it by excelling with other attributes.

I think it's the concerns about his other attributes that are more of concern.

BlueSkiesForever

I'll judge him when he's getting proper service from midfield rather than playing in front of the dullest setup in the division.
Absolutely, we are literally like Burnley under Sean Dyche, backs to the wall defending, don’t you dare create a chance, we’ll draw this game 0-0 if it kills me! 😂

We’re so predictable atm, I was watching the game the other day and literally having a full on conversation with my old man about something else, completely zoned out for about 5 mins and then realised I was watching a game of football. There’s about 10-15 mins of action and the rest of the game you could have a quick kip and not have missed a single thing. We really need to see intent and creativity from the boys on Saturday, and for us to go beyond 70-80 mins for the first time.

skyblu3sk

He's not Gyok though.
Your can't compare anyone to Gyok, that would be unfair. You can only judge a player on what you see, and at the moment both Wright and Simms are struggling. Sure they might both improve, but we've seen very little talent from either of them so far, and although Simms showed a big improvement in the first half against Huddersfield, he still needs to push on.
He doesn't need to be Gyok just a top end championship striker.

Sky Blue Dal

I really think we are being very harsh on Hadji Wright. It’s obvious he’s going through a bad patch running on low confidence and we need to support him and help him get back to his original form and boost his confidence instead of us gunning him down.
Let’s give him the same patience as we have for Simms. I am feeling more confident with Simms today than I was earlier in the season. Hadji just needs that faith from us fans. I honestly believe Hadji has that fire in his heart to getting us plenty of goals, just need to show him some faith and he will deliver. Remember it’s the first experience in an English league, just needs to get adjusted into it and get an understanding of it.
Remember Southampton were also interested in adding him to their squad before we beat them to signing him. They must have seen something special in him like Robins. Southampton has shown to have an eye for talent in the past.

PUSB.

skyblu3sk

What an odd start for Wright Has had some chances my gran could put away that he hasn't then clinical the next game, Sometimes looks like he has decent pace others looks like he's meandering and doesn't seem to know how to close people down if he's up front on his own. Things aren't clicking all the time yet he scores the winning goal today. His first touch was a bit better today too. If he can slap it all together he could be a great player. But lets be honest Ayari's shot today made it for him.

pusbccfc

One moment where he flew past the centre half. He needs to look to do that. He's bigger, stronger and faster than any defender in this league. Needs to believe himself.

Hertsccfc

One moment where he flew past the centre half. He needs to look to do that. He's bigger, stronger and faster than any defender in this league. Needs to believe himself.
Yes he's faster than any striker we have had for a long time. Needs to work on his stamina I suspect. In bursts he looks real quality.

Brighton Sky Blue

I remember MR saying a few seasons back that some players that were still developing needed to believe in themselves more.

From what @Saddlebrains has said, and what I've seen of Wright and Simms, self-belief is lacking. If MR can knock some into them, sorted.
He definitely has pace to burn but only rarely puts on the accelerator. Also hits the ball with power in the warm up but produces tame efforts in games. Needs working with I think

Evo1883

Looks like he doesn't understand fully what's required of him in a mark robins team .
1 positive seems to be his ability to predict where the ball will drop , can score plenty on that alone .. still loads to work on though , but the fee still looks large for what we've got

There is ofcourse time , plenty of it too ..

Ccfcisparks

Thought he played well tonight. Better than Simms and Godden. Beat his man a few times, played the ball off, scored the winner.

If he had scored the chance at the end, or took it to the corner and saw out the game I think we’d be saying it was a fantastic strikers performance.

Hobo

Wright has scored to really good goals so far and was unlucky when he hit the bar v Leicester.

Simms has scored good goals too.

They bring different things to the table and we are still learning how to play them in. I think they will both come good.

PVA

Hopefully he can kick on after that goal.

However towards the end when Godden had gone off and he was up front on his own, balls were being cleared from defence and he was absolutely nowhere near them. Adi was going nuts.

shmmeee

Hopefully he can kick on after that goal.

However towards the end when Godden had gone off and he was up front on his own, balls were being cleared from defence and he was absolutely nowhere near them. Adi was going nuts.

He’s been on for about ten minutes and was running less than Godden. I don’t understand it at all. We all like to slack off at work but not with 20k customers and the entirety of management watching!

Like even if you’re shit you can run about for twenty minutes.

Yank

As I put in another thread, whenever Haji starts his time at a new club, he takes a bit to get going, but when he does he is a very,very good striker. I remember reading something from an Antalyaspor fan(Cant remember where now) who said their fans were being grumpy about him also but then ended up loving him when he got his feet under him and started banging them in.

I think some Cov fans just wanted and/or expected it to happen quicker due to the fee we paid, but overall I am not shocked with his slow start, his whole career has been like that. We all saw today that when he uses his pace to go after defenders and his strength, he can be a handful.

I really think the nicely finished goal today will help him going forward and he will live up to his fee and more.

Users who are viewing this thread