Harries not in MR's plans? (1 Viewer)

Super_Johnny_Gayle

Lower league clubs always sell players and once higher league clubs such as Swansea, Bournemouth or Burton Albion for that matter it's almost impossible to prevent them from leaving, I stand by the fact very little of the millions brought in from player sales recently has been spent on the team hence division 4. As for funding the running CCFC player sales has always done that going back years, but now we are "cash flow positive" according to our chairman I hope perhaps even expect once the sales of Harries, Ben Stevenson, George Thomas and Jordan Willis are completed a decent chunk of the received fees are spent on the team.
Their team of lawyers perhaps.

Liquid Gold

If we had to lose one of Willis Thomas and Harries this year I would always go for Harries. He's obviously talented but our immediate need is promotion out of this shit league and he's least likely to play a part this year.

steve82

If we had to lose one of Willis Thomas and Harries this year I would always go for Harries. He's obviously talented but our immediate need is promotion out of this shit league and he's least likely to play a part this year.

Yes, most disposable asset currently tho not at a cut down price.

He still should command a sensible fee.

Esoterica

The lower leagues really aren't these land of bruising giants that people seem to make out. The technique is worse and the facilities are smaller, and that's about it. Harries isn't some lightweight midget. If he's good enough for Swansea to take an interest, he's good enough to do alright away at Forest Green Rovers.
Akinfenwa coming on and lining himself up against Harries was the main reason Wycombe got back into the Checkatrade semifinal and left us hanging on so badly. He's no midget but he's definitely lightweight still. Think he's only 6 ft 1" but his skinny frame makes him appear much taller than he really is

Nick

Administrator
Still baffles me how a pro footballer can't put on a bit of muscle if needed with all of the resources available to them.

Joy Division

Still baffles me how a pro footballer can't put on a bit of muscle if needed with all of the resources available to them.

Not all humans can gain muscle, doesn't matter if they are a pro footballer or not.

SkyBlueCRJ

Footballers obviously have to be cautious when hitting the weights as excessive gym training can easily aggravate/cause injury. It's not as simple as smashing the gym 5 times a week and getting ripped within a year. If you haven't been blessed with genetics it takes years of work to build up the strength needed to become a comfortable CB as they have to gradually build themselves up. If footballers trained consistently alongside constant heavy gym work they'd never end up playing due to the fact that they'd be constantly fatigued/injured. Akinfenwa is a prime example, he trains very little and focuses on gym work. Probably why he's been stuck in League Two for his whole career. You need to find that balance to be a successful athlete.

Nick

Administrator
Footballers obviously have to be cautious when hitting the weights as excessive gym training can easily aggravate/cause injury. It's not as simple as smashing the gym 5 times a week and getting ripped within a year. If you haven't been blessed with genetics it takes years of work to build up the strength needed to become a comfortable CB as they have to gradually build themselves up. If footballers trained consistently alongside constant heavy gym work they'd never end up playing due to the fact that they'd be constantly fatigued/injured. Akinfenwa is a prime example, he trains very little and focuses on gym work. Probably why he's been stuck in League Two for his whole career. You need to find that balance to be a successful athlete.

Yeah, there is also the balance with speed as well.

They are working with physios, nutritionists and trainers though. Am not saying he should be as strong as Akinfenwa or look like a wrestler but they can still put on a bit of muscle.

covcity4life

hes still young. maybe hes been told to work on his positioning,stamina or cardio etc rather than beef up just yet?

also still too much made of league 2 strikers imo. i get feeling if harries played vs a works or pub football team people would back the striker up against him because hes a big lump!

Nick

Administrator
hes still young. maybe hes been told to work on his positioning,stamina or cardio etc rather than beef up just yet?

also still too much made of league 2 strikers imo. i get feeling if harries played vs a works or pub football team people would back the striker up against him because hes a big lump!

Bit of a difference between League 2 and a Sunday team.

SkyBlueCRJ

Yeah, there is also the balance with speed as well.

They are working with physios, nutritionists and trainers though. Am not saying he should be as strong as Akinfenwa or look like a wrestler but they can still put on a bit of muscle.

Exactly other physical attributes are favoured by some players, therefore they base their workout routine on their strengths. A typical example of this is Jamie Vardy. Vardy will avoid heavy weights like the plague because he doesn't want to sacrifice his speed. Whilst footballers still have a multitude of resources at their disposal in order for them to improve themselves physically, it still comes down to genetics. It will still take years of someone of Harries' stature to grow to a suitable size with the diet that footballers are on.

Weight training, high protein/carb diet alongside legal supplements would make Harries grow considerably faster. But, footballers are monitored on everything they do/consume, therefore this avenue will be restricted. Harries clearly has a high metabolism so every extra calorie he'll easily burn off. His workout routine will be based on countering this but like I said, it'll still take time as there's no quick fix to him growing in size.

SlowerThanPlatt

Good move for him (if true). Let's hope we include a large sell on percentage because I think this lad has the tools to become a good Premier League player. Swansea took Alfie Mawson from Barnsley, he played most games for them last year and is now apparently interesting Spurs

Users who are viewing this thread