Is 'Not going to Wembley'.... (1 Viewer)

Moff

I go and will continue to go to league games. Been to every home game in the trophy bar the West Ham game, including the Semi but I am not going to Wembley through choice.

The simple fact is that given our relegation certainty it feels completely hollow to me now win or lose so I've taken the decision not to attend. Thus far I don't regret that decision. Will I on the day or at some point after? Don't have a clue. But given our complete capitulation in the league this season it's a risk I'm willing to take. Even the last two games with very welcome very rare wins I find myself cynically asking myself is this the result of players trying to play themselves into a Wembley final on their CV rather than a serious relegation fight or a reaction to the new manager.

You are right the season's been shit, and that cant be forgotten, but I'm going as part of the bigger day out with the mass of CCFC fans who will enjoy the day and show our owners (and hopefully future owners watching on) the potential of the club/fanbase with a bit of success at the club. I respect your decision, like Grendel's, but cant help think that you are both going to miss a good day out.

tom88

So, despite the little disclaimer at the end, am I a 'non-fan' in your opinion?

It isn't for you, or anyone else, to decide what kind of 'supporter' I am - I'm firmly against NOPM, and would be there in the crowd week after week if it were physically and financially possible for me to do so. I would also be at Wembley, but I cannot be there.

As someone who went to games from 6 till 28 years of age, I class myself as a staunch supporter. I always will be. The ability to attend games is not always a measure of a true supporter, though i recognise the 'support' aspect very keenly.

I'm sorry but I think people have took my message the wrong way

I said IMO (In my opinion) I didn't say it was a fact. I am a firm believer if you are able too and financially can afford a £20.00 ticket why wouldnt you want to support your team at the national stadium on their first visit in 30 years?

This NOPM business is just an excuse for people now to say "I can be arsed anymore"

Grendel

I'm sorry but I think people have took my message the wrong way

I said IMO (In my opinion) I didn't say it was a fact. I am a firm believer if you are able too and financially can afford a £20.00 ticket why wouldnt you want to support your team at the national stadium on their first visit in 30 years?

This NOPM business is just an excuse for people now to say "I can be arsed anymore"

To me it's like remembering a gig from 30 years ago - say I dunno Iron maiden - and they are redoing their historic Piece of Mind album - but when you get there the bloke from Shawaddwaddy is on lead vocals and some guy from Erasure is on a drum kit.

NortonSkyBlue

To me it's like remembering a gig from 30 years ago - say I dunno Iron maiden - and they are redoing their historic Piece of Mind album - but when you get there the bloke from Shawaddwaddy is on lead vocals and some guy from Erasure is on a drum kit.
Now that sounds like a great band!

Adge

me too mate on the GF front

millsys in earlson now do gf burgers btw!
Awful! Me and 20 others went there for a meal a couple of weeks ago-wouldn't touch the place with again with a barge pole. Awful!

NorthernWisdom

I'm not bothered if people choose not to go, it's their prerogative.

It isn't the realm of super-fan status to go to a Wembley final, that's reserved for the likes of I who goes to Bury on a cold Tuesday night in February etc.
I often wondered if I got it the wrong way round, would bog off to Crewe and the like, but ignore Chelsea in the cup.

Is this hipsterish support for a club? Never like 'em when they're trendy?

clint van damme

Awful! Me and 20 others went there for a meal a couple of weeks ago-wouldn't touch the place with again with a barge pole. Awful!

used to be a great place to eat, cracking a la carte menu and made the Guardian list of top 40 restaurants in the country but it's gone down hill in the last few years.

Brylowes

Erasurewaddywaddy.
Can you pay on the gate?

Adge

used to be a great place to eat, cracking a la carte menu and made the Guardian list of top 40 restaurants in the country but it's gone down hill in the last few years.
Yep-we got an email from the place in the week (we we're there on the Sunday) asking us what we all wanted. I smelt a rat straight away and said to the Mrs that it sounds like they are pre preparing and warm up when we arrived. That's exactly what it was! Shocking!

wingy

You are right the season's been shit, and that cant be forgotten, but I'm going as part of the bigger day out with the mass of CCFC fans who will enjoy the day and show our owners (and hopefully future owners watching on) the potential of the club/fanbase with a bit of success at the club. I respect your decision, like Grendel's, but cant help think that you are both going to miss a good day out.
Yep It really is very little to do with the football, or level of it from my POV.
It's going to be a family occasion outside of Weddings or Funerals, a bystander if you like, visible to whatever audience cares to acknowledge.

dadgad

Have a good day out guys.
I hope it works out.
For me it'd be like watching a parody, a gesture trying to revive ghosts from a different era.
Why sully that memory?

bawtryneal

So what is the real reason you are not going?
I don't get it.
You drag yourself up the Ricoh every Saturday and watch all the crap that has been on offer for the last 5 years but will not go to Wembley to watch what is probably in the top 5 of City games in the last 40 years.
I'm going and cannot wait. I'm 56 years old and like a 6 year waiting for Xmas.
Please explain because as above, don't get.
Just hope you are not trying to make a point because you will regret it.
PS. Have a spare ticket in the posh seats, if you fancy.

Covstu

Wembley is like when your missus gives you a green light to go out with the boys. Enjoy it for what it is, after all you won't really remember it in a years time

Regis87

IMO if you don't go to Wembley you cannot class yourself as a Coventry City fan

People who say they are not going are just cutting their nose off to spite their face. There is no excuse for it, as per the OP just like Vegans or in other words just attention seekers. If your team gets to play at Wembley in a competitive final you should be their supporting them.

Obviously some people are unfortunate that cant go due to health problems or age and some financial if you live abroad etc.

Absolute bollocks pal!
So my father who has had a season ticket from 1964- Sixfields is not a true fan . He has been to a handful of games since Northampton but still lives and breathes CCFC. I also know 3 people at work who stopped going at this point and are not going to the Mickey Mouse Cup Final who are massive fans .
I am going for a day out and a piss up so does this make me a true fan ? It will be my 2nd game of the season.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm not going to miss this chance - to see Roy Wegerle, Leigh Jenkinson and co at Wembley - might never get the chance again (P.S. Does anyone know if they will they put a list of the players on the big screen, just in case the players' names escape anybody?):bucktooth:

jas365

People who say they are not going are just cutting their nose off to spite their face. There is no excuse for it, as per the OP just like Vegans or in other words just attention seekers. If your team gets to play at Wembley in a competitive final you should be their supporting them.

Obviously some people are unfortunate that cant go due to health problems or age and some financial if you live abroad etc.
One of our group is not going as he won't give SISU another penny.
He has been to every away league game though, which in my eyes makes him more of a fan than a lot of people on here.

P

patsy123ccfc

People who are not going, to me, just scream SKINT.

Nothing to do with principle.

NorthernWisdom

People who are not going, to me, just scream SKINT.

Nothing to do with principle.
See, I don't see what's wrong with accepting some won't go out of a principle, the same as many didn't go to the earlier rounds out of principle, and many wouldn't go to Northampton out of principle.

Me, I won't set foot in MK's ground, and if Wasps were ever to buy us, I wouldn't bother with us until they sold us on. They're *my* principles.

And is there anything wrong with any of that? Frankly, I've a lot more respect for those who won't go to Wembley out of a principle than those who shout, loudly, NOPM - oh, apart from this game. Oh, and how about Arsenal away in the cup.

And so on.

Now those lot *aren't* principled ;)

Am sure some won't be able to afford it which is well enough, am sure some will be ill, working (Sundays are good for me. Saturdays would be an issue!), family commitments etc. All fine.

As is not going because the game doesn't move you. Everyone on this thread in the main (even dadgad ;)) has wished everyone well who's going, and said they hope people enjoy it. That's the right spirit, surely?

Moff

I'm not going to miss this chance - to see Roy Wegerle, Leigh Jenkinson and co at Wembley - might never get the chance again (P.S. Does anyone know if they will they put a list of the players on the big screen, just in case the players' names escape anybody?):bucktooth:

The moment Leigh Jenkinson drops his shoulder and does his step over you will be in awe ;)

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

See, I don't see what's wrong with accepting some won't go out of a principle, the same as many didn't go to the earlier rounds out of principle, and many wouldn't go to Northampton out of principle.

Me, I won't set foot in MK's ground, and if Wasps were ever to buy us, I wouldn't bother with us until they sold us on. They're *my* principles.

And is there anything wrong with any of that? Frankly, I've a lot more respect for those who won't go to Wembley out of a principle than those who shout, loudly, NOPM - oh, apart from this game. Oh, and how about Arsenal away in the cup.

And so on.

Now those lot *aren't* principled ;)

Am sure some won't be able to afford it which is well enough, am sure some will be ill, working (Sundays are good for me. Saturdays would be an issue!), family commitments etc. All fine.

As is not going because the game doesn't move you. Everyone on this thread in the main (even dadgad ;)) has wished everyone well who's going, and said they hope people enjoy it. That's the right spirit, surely?
Why wouldn't you go if Wasps bought us? Not that I think they would

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Complete bullshit

I ain't a bleedin' vegan, martian or fuckin Timbuktuan, and I ain't going due to all three reasons you quoted! Age, health and living overseas. And before anyone says the Isle of Wight isn't overseas, try fuckin walking it! Pointless thread and I only commented coz I'm bored! X x x

covcity4life

for me 87 isn't an issue anyway as i was 5 when we won it and i dont remember it. I think my earliest memory of that win was reading the programme my uncle got,but what was a few years later.

this is my first cup final was a cov fan, might be the only one. excited!

Users who are viewing this thread